• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This weeks JAPANESE magazine news

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Mr. Pointy said:
Mistwalker. I hope Nintendo are planning some kind of marketing blitz for it.

Well, Mistwalker isn't doing the actual development.... do they even have programmers?... I know Mistwalker was doing concept/planning, but I was curious to see who was developing.

Edit:

nvm, ethelred answered

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I took the bike to mean like...motorcycle. You could ride the summon and use it in battle. I thought that could be pretty cool.

But if it's like...a pedal bike....like a Huffy....lol. I hope you can attach baseball cards to the rims.

ethelred

Shiva turning into a motorcycle is just so she can better mesh with the other summons FFXIII is adding:

decepticonsk2.jpg

TreIII

ethelred said:
I am absolutely elated to hear that the game is coming along and its development is nearing completion. Can't wait till we get to see more on it.

Same here. Who knows, considering that I last heard that the story was supposed to involve a good deal of time travel within it, it may end up being the closest thing we may get to anything "Chrono"-related for quite some time. :D

Well, the Square Enix titles also help to further establish a stronger and stronger RPG fanbase on the system... if you think about it, pretty much everyone who played RPGs on the PS2 in Japan will be getting a DS (if they haven't already) for DQIX.

That may be true, but more SE titles just means, at least to me, that the DS is going to definitely have a stronger Square Enix fanbase on the system. That doesn't so much as guarantee a free-ride for every other RPG developer who wants to jump on the bandwagon and stake their claim too, as I'm sure was the case for a number of RPG developers throughout the PSX and PS2 eras. I would like to see ASH get at least decent sales numbers, but it may be up against some stiff competition, especially if it has the "nerve" to be released around the same time frame as the likes of FFXII: Rev. Wings, and especially DQIX.

LOL. :lol

PepsimanVsJoe said:
What gave you that silly idea?
Sorry but I happen to draw the line at summoned monsters turning into vehicles.
Storyline is just plain wtf as well.

Okay, appoligies for the insult, but you were massively hyping LO up out of all proportions...Anyway, I think it is more the scarce details revealed of the story that make it confusing... And its not to wise dismissing the concept before seeing it in action, despite how bizaar it sounds at this time...I mean, you obviously still have hope for LO, as do I, after its poor initial showing....I certainly wouldnt expect the worst from this game. Apart from white knight it seems one of the few jrpgs which is trying something interesting with its battle system.

peace

nelsonroyale said:
Okay, appoligies for the insult, but you were massively hyping LO up out of all proportions..
peace

Why do you keep bringing LO into this?
Aside from having nothing to do with FF13 from what I've seen of LO so far I'm not really impressed. Great intro, interesting concept, shoddy execution, reminds me of far too many games.

A few good news this week, and awesome FFXIII scans :3~~

I still doubt Shining Force Exa being a real 35/40...but I'd like to know more after the Famitsu and Dengeki scores. So j-gaffers please try it :D

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Why do you keep bringing LO into this?
Aside from having nothing to do with FF13 from what I've seen of LO so far I'm not really impressed. Great intro, interesting concept, shoddy execution, reminds me of far too many games.

okay man, statements retracted...forgive my ignorence hehe...Ill admit, I come as a fanboy sometimes when it comes to FF.

Anyway, Im pretty hyped for a new ff, especially one which might marry some of the elements from FFx and FFxii....huge open environments, a rotatable camera (which is already at least) and no random encounters...these top my list.

peace

Amir0x

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:

Heh. I won't drop judgment on the story, 'cause I assume translation leaves a lot to be desired.

I mean...

A large amount of residents were restrained, and moved to the pulse of this World. Although in reality it was just a Virtual Banishment.

...this surely sounds like the most retarded thing ever, but maybe in execution!

Zilch

Banned
The parts about the sky-city Cocoon and the earth-cities below, as well as the crystal choosing 'Lightning' and then having the general populace hate her sounds like a pretty cool set-up to me.

Amir0x

Banned
Zilch said:
The parts about the sky-city Cocoon and the earth-cities below, as well as the crystal choosing 'Lightning' and then having the general populace hate her sounds like a pretty cool set-up to me.

In reality it was just a virtual cool set-up.

LJ11

That bit of Konami news kind of goes in line with that EGM rumor, that companies are pushing back their exclusives on the PS3. I guess Konami took them off the board for the time being until Sony proves they can mass market the PS3. I don't think they're canceling the projects in whole, just waiting it out before deciding on which platform(s) to release the games on.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
What gave you that silly idea?

I know, man! Why cant it be more normal w/ wizards & dragons and shit, yo?

Amir0x

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Funny, considering FF8 is my favorite in the series.

damn, and I was there for you too. That one is pretty silly too... time compression, plot holes, "guardian forces made us forget", etc :p

Amir0x said:
damn, and I was there for you too. That one is pretty silly too... time compression, plot holes, "guardian forces made us forget", etc :p

Lol, that orphanage scene was so terrible. Yeah, FFVIII had a retarded plot with no real sense of cohesion or progression.

Amir0x said:

But it was the characters man the characters..totally made the game for me.

I mean Cid was played by Robin Williams, so awesome.
The plot was stupid but it was more of the "oh well so it's stupid" plot.
Anyway FF13 = Chrono Trigger(?) or something. It'll probably all work out in the end.
Besides maybe you guys want me to pick a favorite FF with a good plot? GOOD LUCK. Maybe FFXI? No can do I hated that game.

Ceb said:
Coincidentally, the worst playable FF yet.

Bullshit

Amir0x said:
That's not FFIII. Neither is it FFVIII :p

I was tempted to toss FF12 in there but I'll go with a safe answer...FF2.

Ceb said:
FFV isn't awful, but basically, the job system and Gilgamesh are the only things that stand out.

So that automatically equals worst playable? You haven't played many FF games.
Even if they don't stand out at least they don't get in the way. Story isn't the greatest sure but the battle system is excellent, the encounters are usually entertaining(even the random ones), and overall it's a worthwhile game. I see no glaring faults at least.

Ceb

PepsimanVsJoe said:

FFV isn't awful, but basically, the job system and Gilgamesh are the only things that stand out.

I was tempted to toss FF12 in there but I'll go with a safe answer...FF2.

That's why I said "playable". :D The first two FFs are just crap in a cartridge.

At this rate, every FF in existence might be mentioned. :lol

Now that won't be good. :p
Every FF game is worth at least a playthrough.

Ceb

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Okay then FF12, make my life easy why don't you?

I can't remember - did you actually end up finishing FFXII, or did you quit in frustration?

I thought the last stretch redeemed any issues I might've had with the game for a while, and I think it's tied with FFVIII for the best in the series (Amirox am cry).

Ceb said:
I can't remember - did you actually end up finishing FFXII, or did you quit in frustration?

I thought the last stretch redeemed any issues I might've had with the game for a while, and I think it's tied with FFVIII for the best in the series (Amirox am cry).
Spoilers cause I suck

If you're counting the 100 floor dungeon as part of that "last stretch" then I can't agree at all. That was a horrible bloated experience like well...most of FF12. The final few encounters were excellent though(Cid in particular, S/E got a great voice-actor for him)
Not sure if it was enough to redeem all of the issues I had with the game but it was good stuff.

68 hours btw. I got tired of mark-hunting and didn't care for the optional areas(Sorry Basch not too interested in these "fell-beasts".)

X-2 is fun btw. :)

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Why did this turn into a best/worst (5/1) Final Fantasy thread? o_O??

FFXIII sounds interesting, but far to early to make any calls.

Y2Kev

PepsimanVsJoe said:
If you're counting the 100 floor dungeon as part of that "last stretch" then I can't agree at all. That was a horrible bloated experience like well...most of FF12. The final few encounters were excellent though(.... in particular, S/E got a great voice-actor for him

AERIS DIES?!?!?

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
To get this back on topic:

Konami is probably just playing follow-the-square-leader and is putting a lot of stuff on DS. More to come. Except stubborn capcom. Why isn't that company dead yet?

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Spoilers cause I suck

If you're counting the 100 floor dungeon as part of that "last stretch" then I can't agree at all. That was a horrible bloated experience like well...most of FF12. The final few encounters were excellent though(Cid in particular, S/E got a great voice-actor for him)
Not sure if it was enough to redeem all of the issues I had with the game but it was good stuff.

68 hours btw. I got tired of mark-hunting and didn't care for the optional areas(Sorry Basch not too interested in these "fell-beasts".)

X-2 is fun btw. :)

ahah, so pray tell what games have a good plot?

Anyway, I still find it hard to talk about much FFXIII, there really has been little info revealed

peace

Y2Kev

elostyle said:
To get this back on topic:

Konami is probably just playing follow-the-square-leader and is putting a lot of stuff on DS. More to come. Except stubborn capcom. Why isn't that company dead yet?

Because they're making lots of great games that sell a lot?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Y2Kevbug11 said:
Because they're making lots of great games that sell a lot?
I"m trying to think of a non port/collection/remake game I've played by Capcom since RE4 (before that Killer 7).
Yeah, I'm not coming up with anything.

thorns

Banned
RevenantKioku said:
I"m trying to think of a non port/collection/remake game I've played by Capcom since RE4 (before that Killer 7).
Yeah, I'm not coming up with anything.

dmc3? okami? dead rising? lost planet?

RevenantKioku

thorns said:
dmc3? okami? dead rising? lost planet?
Oh yea, Dead Rising! Stupid game killed my 360. ;_; Was fun though, too bad.
Y2Kevbug11 said:
It's RK.

You're just going to get a post back like this:

DMC3? Dante has blond hair? *craps on disc*

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Yep that about says it all.

Sweet! I have my own trolls now! :D

Guy can't ask a question without getting crucified!

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
It's all fan-service. Square knows the impact Shiva has on the male FF fanbase, so they are giving them the option to ride her. (Jk)
I tell you, the bike's seat will be her butt...

pilonv1

duckroll said:
So Konami cancels 7 games.... so they can make....

Konami Arcade Collection - DS - 15th March - 4179yen

Scramble, Time Pilot, Tutankham, Pooyan, Track and Field, Roc'n Rope, Circus Charlie, Super Basketball, Road Fighter, Yiair Kung Fu, Gradius, Green Beret, Shaolin's Road, Twin Bee and Contra.

Why not just call it XBLA DS?

Top Bottom