• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This year might be good but 360 was something else [new Crowbcat video]

rofif

Banned
Not a month without a good release on early 360 with 2011 being best year in gaming ever. It started slowing down around 2012/3 if I remember correctly.
People whine about their wallets and time now that 2 games come 3 months apart.... But on 360/ps3, if you wanted to play everything, it was crazy to keep pace haha.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

lost matthew fox GIF

I bought so many games in that period, holy shit.

360 was so good. How did they tumble from that era

Lolwut 360 was on life support well before 2011, 2009 was a straight up embarrassment having ODLC against Uncharted 2 (a literal turning point for PlayStation that gen) and even before that it was meh. After ODLC I switched to PlayStation and never looked back
2010 was great for 360, 2009 was kind of weak though for them.

Not a month without a good release on early 360 with 2011 being best year in gaming ever. It started slowing down around 2012/3 if I remember correctly.
People whine about their wallets and time now that 2 games come 3 months apart.... But on 360/ps3, if you wanted to play everything, it was crazy to keep pace haha.

2011 is when 360 started to be bad, I think you meant another year. Best years in gaming is 1998,2004 and 2007.

Drizzlehell

Banned
And people look at me funny when I say that modern gaming is a bunch of bullshit and ideas recycled from the very generation that's shown in this vid. It was the last time when we could enjoy quality games and experience some degree of innovation in triple-A space.

Last edited:

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
What a depressing video. I have so many great memories of playing almost everything on that timeline.

The objective for publishers is now to make less games, but have people play them longer and support them via microtransactions, skins, battle passes, etc. It is utter bullshit, and has completely destroyed the industry.

Thank god for Baldur's Gate 3...

Anime-Vix

Lolwut 360 was on life support well before 2011, 2009 was a straight up embarrassment having ODLC against Uncharted 2 (a literal turning point for PlayStation that gen) and even before that it was meh. After ODLC I switched to PlayStation and never looked back
You guys really need to stop with this revisionist history. During the 360 era, Multiplayer was on top. That is literally what everyone cared about. X360 was the best place to play multiplayer games. Please let us not forget about the PSN hacking scandal that disabled online services for a whole month.

Robb

Gold Member
The objective for publishers is now to make less games, but have people play them longer and support them via microtransactions, skins, battle passes, etc. It is utter bullshit, and has completely destroyed the industry.
I can already imagine the PlayStation 9 releasing without a single new first party game throughout its entire generation. Just continuous support of existing titles. What a dystopian nightmare.

Guilty_AI

I clearly remember many people in gaming forums at the time just kept complaining about how games were being dumbed down, campaigns getting shorter, that everything was dumb dudebro shooter and publishers only cared about multiplayer, that games from past gens were much better, a feeling made worse by the decay of once popular series like Need for Speed, Final Fantasy, DMC, etc.

I really liked that gen but damn, i guess people never change.

Last edited:

violence

Blockbuster was still around back then. I took advantage of their “movie pass” whatever it was called. You could actually rent games as well with it and that’s what I did.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I clearly remember many people in gaming forums at the time just kept complaining about how games were being dumbed down, campaigns getting shorter, that everythimg was dumb dudebro shooter and publishers only cared about multiplayer, that games from past gens were much better, a feeling made worse by the decay of once popular series like Need for Speed, Final Fantasy, DMC, etc.

yep, lol. People here giving AA games like Skate, Ghost Recon and Dead Rising attention when if they released in modern year they'd be considered 'indie junk' and 'not comparable to the lineup we had in the 2000s' or, 'they don't have the same impact game from my childhood did'. (this isn't an indictment on the quality of these games, it's simply what GAF would say about them)

then 10-20 years from now they'll say how much better this year was and how we got games like Tinykin, Pizza Tower, Dave the Diver, Sea of Stars, Chained Echoes etc. games they never gave a shit about until it came time for nostalgia list wars against the newer generation arguing that gaming isn't this desolate wasteland like they say it is.

this is why i don't take seriously what people here say regarding AAA/modern gaming. people just love to complain, its been the nature of the internet for well over 23 years now. 2023 is a great year for gaming, full stop.

Last edited:

Puscifer

You guys really need to stop with this revisionist history. During the 360 era, Multiplayer was on top. That is literally what everyone cared about. X360 was the best place to play multiplayer games. Please let us not forget about the PSN hacking scandal that disabled online services for a whole month.
I only know where my wallet went and their heavy focus on multiplayer gaming was B O R I N G

And I sure as hell never paid for online on 360 and stayed on PC for the multiplayer, I did play the free multiplayer on PS3 but once it was made paid on PS4 I dropped out but I did pay for 3 years till 2020 because I could find it for 35-40 bucks, screw paying 60.

violence

On the flipside, I remember people saying 2012 was a weak year because The Walking Dead winning game of the year awards, and that was a “digital only” game (at the time.)

Last edited:
I clearly remember many people in gaming forums at the time just kept complaining about how games were being dumbed down, campaigns getting shorter, that everything was dumb dudebro shooter and publishers only cared about multiplayer, that games from past gens were much better, a feeling made worse by the decay of once popular series like Need for Speed, Final Fantasy, DMC, etc.

Reminds me about this:
Spoiler: every generation has people complaining about it and saying that things were better in the past

simpatico

I had a PS3 at this time. All the great multiplat stuff you see in this vid ran considerably worse, unless you count egregious screen tearing as a feature. This was around the time I took all my multiplat gaming to Xbox and only used PS3 for exclusives. I moved it all to an HTPC shortly after for the same reasons. But I take this video as a condemnation of the industry in general rather than X vs P.

Fbh

Damn he just ignored most of the Japanese games, which were a major reason why I picked a 360 over a Ps3: Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia, Ninja Gaiden 2, The Last remnant, etc

Either way, what's really impressive about that list isn't the volume itself but the volumen of new IP in the AAA space:
Gears of War, Dead Rising, Lost Planet, Lost Odyssey, Crackdown, Portal, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Dead Space, Skate, Left4dead, Assassins Creed, Alan Wake, etc.

Pretty stark contrast with this gen where most stuff is sequels and remakes. And even when "new IP" gets announced it seems like half the time it's based on existing franchises (like Harry Potter or Wolverine)

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Damn he just ignored most of the Japanese games, which were a major reason why I picked a 360 over a Ps3: Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia, Ninja Gaiden 2, The Last remnant, etc
there was a time in history when Xbox had the better Asian lineup than Playstation and I STILL can't get over that.

• Thoughtful

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I was on the 2nd batch at EB Games. I got it before Oblivion came out, which was when I had the RROD. I played a lot of Halo 2 and Condemned. I didn’t like Kameo or PDZ. It was a lot of hype. The 360 was everywhere. It felt like we had good periods and then nothing. Leading up ME3 from say Fable 3 was when I didn’t like the output. I bought a slim for Reach. My Kinect was a paper weight after ME3. It was a decent time. Batman was a popular. It was a good segue into the PC takeover.

The PS2 was going strong at that time. God of War 2, Valkyrie Profile 2, Xenosaga 3, Final Fantasy XII, and etc. Whenever you got bored with 360, the PS2 was keeping it alive.

Last edited:

Fbh

there was a time in history when Xbox had the better Asian lineup than Playstation and I STILL can't get over that.

Yeah Microsoft was REALLY going for that Japanese market early on with the 360.
As a long time Playstation fan they got me to switch sides with a more affordable console with solid exclusives and an amazing lineup of Japanese games. Only thing that hurt about going with Xbox was getting no FFXIII, so the announcement of an Xbox version during that E3 is still one of the most hype E3 moments for me (the game ended up kinda sucking, but I didn't know it back then).

Sadly they sort of gave up on the Japanese market once the initial push didn't give them the results they wanted. The lack of more Japanese games + their new found focus on Kinect is what pushed me back to ps3.

bender

What time is it?
Highlights for me:

Dead Rising - Zombies and Japanese game design quirk is a match made in heaven.
Left 4 Dead - While I don't think they ever matched the balance or design in any other campaign, No Mercy is just so fucking good that I want to boot it up and play a match right now.
Call of Duty 4 - Probably the versus multi-player game that I truly loved. 10 prestige levels and every golden gun. I had a 52 kill streak on shipment that was the envy of my gaming friends (who were all mostly better at the game than me).
Crackdown - The campaign is pretty terrible but the traversal and physics were bliss and made for an endlessly fun sandbox. Climbing buildings in Crackdown, camera issues aside, is why I thought Assassin's Creed's automated climbing systems were so boring. Find that last collected agility orb was wonderful feeling. Great use of achievements as well.
Stranglehold - Probably the best Max Payne rip-off we've had (shot out to Total Overdose) and John Woo and Chow Yun Fat are the perfect combo for this style of game. Dumb, fun, arcade bliss.
Skate Series - With Tony Hawk quality eroding, this was a breath of fresh air. It's a little too technical for me to want to dive back into these days, but it was fun grinding out those achievements.
Red Dead Redemption - The mission design really doesn't hold up well these days but John Marston, Bonnie MacFarlane, and Landon Ricketts are some of my favorite characters in R*'s games. I'm a sucker for Westerns so that helps too.
Halo Rach - The best campaign since CE. Fall of Reach was a fun read too.
New Vegas - My white whale. I have you installed on my XSX and Steam Deck. I'll play you someday.
Dark Souls - Seeing the world catch onto and love a Souls game after DeSo was special to behold.

simpatico

There was some brown for sure, but we had a ton of creative spark that has nearly fizzled out. L4D, prime Bethesda, Infinity Ward deciding that 60fps was their prime directive, Bioshock, Dark Souls, Ass Creed. It's been a long time since we've had anything genre-breaking IMO. Back then we were breaking genres wide open a few times a year.

And you have clowns (some even on this site) saying “b-b-but gaming hasn’t deteriorated at all! It’s just as good now as it was then! Take off the nostalgia goggles!”

Give me a fuckin break. Sad reality is we will likely never see gaming hit the highs of the PS360Wii gen ever again. It will never be topped. I was born in 98 and my ranking of console gens thus far is,

PS3/360/Wii
PS2/Xbox/Gamecube
PS4/Xbox One/Wii U

PS5/XBSS|X/Switch

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

And you have clowns (some even on this site) saying “b-b-but gaming hasn’t deteriorated at all! It’s just as good now as it was then! Take off the nostalgia goggles!”

Give me a fuckin break. Sad reality is we will likely never see gaming hit the highs of the PS360Wii gen ever again. It will never be topped. I was born in 98 and my ranking of console gens thus far is,

PS3/360/Wii
PS2/Xbox/Gamecube
PS4/Xbox One/Wii U

PS5/XBSS|X/Switch
PS3/360/Wii:
8 - 16 years of age, best years of one's childhood

PS2/Xbox/Gamecube
1 - 7, can barely remember much

PS4/Xbox One/Wii U
17 - 22, age of disillusions and life starting you beat you down.

PS5/XBSS|X/Switch
+23, age of bitterness and adulthood responsibilities.

Gaming didn't deteriorated, you just got older.

Last edited:
PS3/360/Wii:
8 - 16 years of age, best years of one's childhood

PS2/Xbox/Gamecube
1 - 7, can barely remember much

PS4/Xbox One/Wii U
17 - 22, age of desilusions and life starting you beat you down.

PS5/XBSS|X/Switch
+23, age of bitterness and adulthood responsibilities.

Gaming didn't deteriorated, you just got older.
Complete miss. I was 14-22 for PS4 Gen. And those had by far some of the happiest years of my life. Same goes for 2020-present minus the whole Covid thing for a bit there. Even through that my mental health flourished in a lot of new ways

If anything I was more bitter and depressed when I was a smug young little punk ass kid

Good try though I’ll give you that. It was almost astute

Drew1440

The Blades era (2005-08) was promising, so many new franchises launched and whilst the NXE era of games was pretty good (2008-10), people were already complaining about the poor art styles and colour palettes being used (vaseline filter and overuse of bloom) and the abundance of FPS games.
I also remember racing games stopped being fun towards the end of that generation, with everything becoming racing sims.

Top Bottom