• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This year might be good but 360 was something else [new Crowbcat video]

Except your "debunk" completely contradicted your original point. To which you respond it was a matter of quantity.

To which i ask again, what modern games have you even tried?
I literally explained to you on a 4th grade level how it was not a contradiction at all but you’re incredulous to any counter because it’s inconvenient for your silly narrative

Vox Machina

Banned
The golden age where the foundations of certain genres were still getting experimented with and explored. Nowadays games are very high quality but they all seem to be just rehashed ideas shoved into ever more exorbitant packages.

Nothing really takes my breath away or surprises me any more. I think thats probably a mixture of:

a) Real life "adulting" responsibilities taking away the time I used to be able to devote to the hobby
b) The above issue of recycled ideas because risk-taking is extremely expensive
c) Me becoming more and more jaded/cynical

Hopefully Starfield can rekindle some of that sense of wonder that has, personally, been missing for a while.

Edit: For reference I'm 35. Gaming path: Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Xbox, Xbox 360, PS4 + Xbox One + PC -> PC

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I literally explained to you on a 4th grade level how it was not a contradiction at all but you’re incredulous to any counter because it’s inconvenient for your silly narrative
Games. I want names. Your whole argument lies in the amount of good games today vs the past.

Are you gonna tell us what you play nowadays or just keep dragging on?

Last edited:
Games. I want names. Your whole argument lies in the amount of good games today vs the past.

Are you gonna tell us what you play nowadays or just keep dragging on?
It’d be easier to name what modern games (2020-2023) I haven’t tried

Also me dragging on? You’ve repeated the same 2 points that I’ve addressed instead of just admitting you missed big time

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Well I agree that the 360 was an awesome console with a lot of games, but I wouldn't say "now" is worst or better, it is just different.

Of course it all depends of each of us tastes. But in 2023 we got/are getting :

- Dead Island 2
- Diablo IV
- Street Fighter VI
- Jedi Survivor
- Zelda TOTK
- Final Fantasy XVI
- Resident Evil 4 Remake
- Starfield
- Spider-Man 2
- Wo Long
- Forspoken
- Forza
- Dead Space
- Hogwarts Legacy
- Pikmin 4
- Wild Hearts
- Super Mario RPG
- Octopath Travelers II
- Lies of P
- STALKER 2
- Armored Core VI
- Baldur's Gate III
- HiFi Rush
- Alan Wake II

And I could go on and on, also some Indies gems like Sea of Stars, Oxenfree II, Axiom Verge 2...

So yeah the 360/PS3 era was great (the PS1/Saturn era was too, the PS2/Xbox/Dreamcast era too etc) but we're still having a lot of awesome games. Nostalgy of course is playing with our emotions (and I'm a very nostalgic man, I replay Blue Dragon and FFX recently to 100% them again), but let's be real, gaming is still great.
He didn’t post all releases. There is a qualifier in the description

Guilty_AI

It’d be easier to name what modern games (2020-2023) I haven’t tried
Cool, thats all i needed to know. Another guy that complains about how bad modern thing is compared to old thing despite not even knowing or trying modern thing.

Full of shit basically.

Last edited:
Cool, thats all i needed to know. Another guy that complains about how bad modern thing is compared to old thing despite not even trying modern thing.

Full of shit basically.
“I’ve tried basically all of them it would be easier to name the ones I haven’t or else I’ll be typing titles for like 5-10 minutes”

“SEE! Full of SHIT! He’s tried nothing!! I win this argument where I’ve had absolutely zero actual refutations or insightful points!”

?????????

Guilty_AI

“I’ve tried basically all of them it would be easier to name the ones I haven’t or else I’ll be typing titles for like 5-10 minutes”

“SEE! Full of SHIT! He’s tried nothing!! I win this argument where I’ve had absolutely zero actual refutations or insightful points!”

?????????
Yes, you played almost every single game that released in those 3 years. Forget that thats humanly impossible.

Lets see, have you tried Cruelty squad? Are you playing BG3 right now? Maybe you played several dwarf fortress and Factorio campaigns by now.

Yes, you played almost every single game that released in those 3 years. Forget that thats humanly impossible.

Lets see, have you tried Cruelty squad? Are you playing BG3 right now? Maybe you played several dwarf fortress and Factorio campaigns by now.
Oh you’re one of those. Dude I’m talking about games people care about. You know, like all of the ones in crowbcats video from 07 onwards that’s the whole point of this thread and the very point of discussion everyone here is having. As we contrast that caliber of games from 10 years ago to the equivalent caliber now?

Did you notice how flower 2008 and journey 2010 weren’t featured in the video despite being artful respectable great games? Seems like you’ve constructed a strawman here

Chastten

Banned
As a fan of Japanese games, early 360 days were the best days Xbox has ever had. Eternal Sonata, Blue Dragon, Lost Odysey, Tales of Vesperia, Dead or Alive, and a ton of other games made me pick up a 360 over a Wii/PS3. After the first 2 or 3 years though, things were dire. And got even worse with the One.

Power Pro

Geez, so many worthwhile games just in the first 2 years alone. We're almost 3 years into this generations life cycle, and most shit is still coming out and probably targeting last gen.

rofif

Banned

There is a qualifier in video description.
Criwbcat only posted few games. Why are we discussing this? If he posted all games, we would still be watching that video.
cruelty squad, dwarf fortress and factorio. It’s not even in the same ballpark anyway. These are indie games that don’t have the same mainstream pool. I don’t find anything interesting in them aside from factorio but that was early access for years

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Oh you’re one of those. Dude I’m talking about games people care about. You know, like all of the ones in crowbcats video from 07 onwards that’s the whole point of this thread and the very point of discussion everyone here is having. As we contrast that caliber of games from 10 years ago to the equivalent caliber now?

Did you notice how flower 2008 and journey 2010 weren’t featured in the video despite being artful respectable great games? Seems like you’ve constructed a strawman here
Clearly plenty of people care about BG3. Cruelty Squad even earned 4 hours-long analysis videos for itself.

I'm not talking about 2 hour long art games here, i'm speaking of full fledge games that beat more expensive stuff at their own game.

Also, look back at the stuff you enjoyed as a kid. Are you sure those were really popular at the time? Despite being held in high regard today, games like DMC, Armored Core, Demon Souls were actually considered "niche games no one cares about" at the time too.

Criwbcat only posted few games. Why are we discussing this? If he posted all games, we would still be watching that video.
cruelty squad, dwarf fortress and factorio. It’s not even in the same ballpark anyway. These are indie games that don’t have the same mainstream pool. I don’t find anything interesting in them aside from factorio but that was early access for years
Dude just like I told the other guy, he is a clown. Don’t waste your time man. He has exactly zero compelling retorts or thoughts on the matter

rofif

Banned
Clearly plenty of people care about BG3. Cruelty Squad even earned 4 hours-long analysis videos for itself.

I'm not talking about 2 hour long art games here, i'm speaking of full fledge games that beat more expensive stuff at their own game.

Also, look back at the stuff you enjoyed as a kid. Are you sure those were really popular at the time? Despite being held in high regard today, games like DMC, Armored Core, Demon Souls were actually considered "niche games no one cares about" at the time too.
That way or another, I’ve bought 5 games this year and it’s already considered a lot.
While in 2006-2011 I would play tens and tens each year.
He didn’t even post saints row 3 in that video. Best game of 2011!

You have to be kidding me with this argumentation here… Jesus Christ.

First paragraph is a completely irreverent and arbitrary metric

Second paragraph is basing an objective matter off of your utterly subjective preferences

Third paragraph, yes I’m sure. Because they sold millions and were amongst the AAA blockbusters featured in the crowbcat video

Rickyiez

A lot of those games were pretty meh personally
Tbh yea, only Gears, Halo 3, Bioshock, Tlou and Dark Souls were really good. That era didn't have any amazing JRPG, Vesperia was the only one I finished.

PS4 era shits over it with Bloodborne, Sekiro, DMCV, Nier Automata, Persona 5, Nioh 2, Witcher 3, FF7R, Titanfall 2 etc etc

Guilty_AI

He literally posted games that had the same level of popularity (or less) than multiple modern "indie" and AA games. Like Dead Rising? Seriously? It took half an year for that to sell 1 million, meanwhile Risk of Rain 2 did that in a month. Trying to differentiate these two when they're equally popular and well received is just a ridiculous metric, ita only used by people like crownbat who just want to hate on anything modern for no aparent reason. "Modern X sucks! But all this cool modern X doesn't count despite having the same profile as old X!". I swear, some people just want to see misery in anything.

tmlDan

I am in Act 3 of BG3 and it's prob one of the best RPG games of all time, if you don't care and if you think people don't care that's on you and your shit taste in games.

Things come and go, let it go, nobody cares about a lot of those games back then anymore, thats just how things go - not everything lasts forever.

Honestly, people are delusional if they think the 8-10 hour experiences (that we complain about being too short for their price tag now) most games had back then were better than fully fleshed out worlds we have now.

I am in Act 3 of BG3 and it's prob one of the best RPG games of all time, if you don't care and if you think people don't care that's on you and your shit taste in games.

Things come and go, let it go, nobody cares about a lot of those games back then anymore, thats just how things go - not everything lasts forever.

Honestly, people are delusional if they think the 8-10 hour experiences (that we complain about being too short for their price tag now) most games had back then were better than fully fleshed out worlds we have now.
I always like to gauge points based on the ergo… *blank* and see if it checks out. Yours come up a little short

I like BG3 a lot *ergo* if I presuppose you don’t like it then you have shitty taste. Nope

A lot of the games in videos have since become less talked about and cherished over 10 years later *ergo* they lose value in relation to how good they were then. Hmmm nah

Games were shorter back then *ergo* they are inferior to the longer and longer games of today… yep nada. 0/3

tmlDan

I always like to gauge points based on the ergo… *blank* and see if it checks out. Yours come up a little short

I like BG3 a lot *ergo* if I presuppose you don’t like it then you have shitty taste. Nope

A lot of the games in videos have since become less talked about and cherished over 10 years later *ergo* they lose value in relation to how good they were then. Hmmm nah

Games were shorter back then *ergo* they are inferior to the longer and longer games of today… yep nada. 0/3
Not a single counter argument, I never said shorter games are worse and they shouldn't exist, just that we are capable of much more now and we're achieving it with gems like BG3

Not a single counter argument, I never said shorter games are worse and they shouldn't exist, just that we are capable of much more now and we're achieving it with gems like BG3
You usually don’t need counters to fallacious arguments… they kind of tend to negate themselves… that was the point dude

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Demon Souls were actually considered " a niche game no one cares about" at the time too.

crushed noo GIF

RagnarokIV

There were so many good games releasing that I couldn't even afford to buy them all. Still have a lot to get back to

Guilty_AI

I am in Act 3 of BG3 and it's prob one of the best RPG games of all time
Holy shit, tell me about it a bit, its so hard to find people who managed to get that far into the game already.
How is the city in terms of content and density? Overall quality? Bugs? Places you can and can't go?

Last edited:

yansolo

The golden age where the foundations of certain genres were still getting experimented with and explored. Nowadays games are very high quality but they all seem to be just rehashed ideas shoved into ever more exorbitant packages.

Nothing really takes my breath away or surprises me any more. I think thats probably a mixture of:

a) Real life "adulting" responsibilities taking away the time I used to be able to devote to the hobby
b) The above issue of recycled ideas because risk-taking is extremely expensive
c) Me becoming more and more jaded/cynical

Hopefully Starfield can rekindle some of that sense of wonder that has, personally, been missing for a while.

Edit: For reference I'm 35. Gaming path: Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Xbox, Xbox 360, PS4 + Xbox One + PC -> PC

also 35 and completely agree with your post, ill play some rippers here and there, witcher 3, dark souls, hades, but these days i drop most games within an hour because i feel like ive done it all before, all the mtx cash shop dlc rubbish (especially in single player games) doesnt help either.

And people look at me funny when I say that modern gaming is a bunch of bullshit and ideas recycled from the very generation that's shown in this vid. It was the last time when we could enjoy quality games and experience some degree of innovation in triple-A space.
I will look at you funny. We had brilliant games last gen and really good games this gen. There really wasn't that much new that we haven't seen before on the 360.

Microsoft went from games to no games to games. Wild.
That's some sort of urban myth. Even on the 360 is was really all about Gears, Halo and Forza from Microsoft and then we had Kinect and MS spent $500 on the pile of crap and not on sequels to the likes of Lost Odessy, Alan Wake or Ninja Blade

Drizzlehell

Banned
I will look at you funny. We had brilliant games last gen and really good games this gen. There really wasn't that much new that we haven't seen before on the 360.
I'm not trying to be hyperbolic by saying this but I genuinely think that Death Stranding was the only major PS4 game that actually attempted something truly unique an innovative. Whether you think it was successful or not is a different discussion, but it definitely stood out among the conga line of cookie-cutter open world games and sequels to 7th gen. franchises like Uncharted or Killzone.

Not saying that these games were trash, but there was just an overwhelming sense of "been there, done that" to almost all of them.

Meanwhile, Microsoft had literally nothing to compete with, and only managed to produce a couple of sequels to franchises that also started on the 360.

It's crazy how different it was compared to what's shown in that video, where you literally have banger after banger coming out mere days or weeks apart from each other for most of the year.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to be hyperbolic by saying this but I genuinely think that Death Stranding was the only major PS4 game that actually attempted something truly unique an innovative. Whether you think it was successful or not is a different discussion, but it definitely stood out among the conga line of cookie-cutter open world games and sequels to 7th gen. franchises like Uncharted or Killzone.

Not saying that these games were trash, but there was just an overwhelming sense of "been there, done that" to almost all of them.

Meanwhile, Microsoft had literally nothing to compete with, and only managed to produce a couple of sequels to franchises that also started on the 360.
Postman Pat on the ZX Spectrum was doing Death Stranding :p . If it's unique you want that's more down to the Indie section and this and last gen have really seen some wonderful and unique indie games that so many people overlook.

What I did miss from the 360 days was how a few games looked to have destructible or deformable environments in the likes of games like Battlefield or Fracture. Its also sad that we're decades on from Shenmue and yet so few games have dynamic weather where the water or snow builds up gradually depending on how much rain or snow is falling

Hugare

It was more diverse back then

Makes sense, since games were cheaper to make (not cheap, but cheaper) so developers/publisher took more risks

The landscape is more homogeneous today. So many Souls clones, its tiresome.

With that said, 2023 is one of the best years ever in gaming. And we still have some months left.

But I miss that diversity

Drizzlehell

Banned
Postman Pat on the ZX Spectrum was doing Death Stranding :p . If it's unique you want that's more down to the Indie section and this and last gen have really seen some wonderful and unique indie games that so many people overlook.

What I did miss from the 360 days was how a few games looked to have destructible or deformable environments in the likes of games like Battlefield or Fracture. Its also sad that we're decades on from Shenmue and yet so few games have dynamic weather where the water or snow builds up gradually depending on how much rain or snow is falling
Sure, but I think it's mostly about the triple-A space and how it fell off over the last decade. And that's also another thing - nowadays you only have either a humongous triple-A game coming out every now and then, or a whole slew of indie games made on a microbudget that are flooding digital storefronts every day. The grey area that games like Fracture used to occupy basically vanished and I really miss that too.

There are still some minor publishers like Focus or Devolver that still put out those smaller-budget games but because triple-A space has grown to such a ridiculous degree, and every game made by Sony or Microsoft has a budget that rivals a small country's entire GDP, the difference between triple and double-A is very obvious, when it didn't used to be like that. There were plenty of mid-shelf titles that very effectively bridged the gap between the cream of the crop and low budget games and I think we could use some of that variety back.

Last edited:
None of it is that surprising. Showed what I've been talking about for years on here. This is what you sacrifice with increased AAA graphics today. You get less new IP, less risk, more conformity, tripled length on development times. People apparently thought this wasn't true, when its been said over and over on here. Frog in boiling water I guess.

supernova8

Banned
Some people think the 360 era was the best, some people don't, no need for this combative bollocks.

Besides, the PS1/N64 era was better so go fuck yourselves

South Park Cartoons Comics GIF

I clearly remember many people in gaming forums at the time just kept complaining about how games were being dumbed down, campaigns getting shorter, that everything was dumb dudebro shooter and publishers only cared about multiplayer, that games from past gens were much better, a feeling made worse by the decay of once popular series like Need for Speed, Final Fantasy, DMC, etc.

I really liked that gen but damn, i guess people never change.
Yup.

The whining never stops lol.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I don't know if 360 era was the best or not but it was definitely the most next-gen feeling since we moved to 3D.

Wildebeest

Console market was actually growing rapidly then. There was this thing called the financial crisis and this other thing called the iphone.

HL3.exe

Crowbcat dropping some L's recently. His RE4 take was also pretty 'blind nostalgia' filled.

Last edited:

HL3.exe

I clearly remember many people in gaming forums at the time just kept complaining about how games were being dumbed down, campaigns getting shorter, that everything was dumb dudebro shooter and publishers only cared about multiplayer, that games from past gens were much better, a feeling made worse by the decay of once popular series like Need for Speed, Final Fantasy, DMC, etc.

I really liked that gen but damn, i guess people never change.
Absolutely true. Big budget PC exclusivity died around that era due to cost and piracy, and people where losing their shit when the 'dumbed down' equivalent released on consoles.

Sure, that era did some excellent leaps with physics, animation leaps, and shaders. Some might say that -apart from visuals- we're still in that era from a game-logic/structure standpoint in someways. But damn, games are pretty good nowadays. People just love nostalgia baiting I guess.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

I don't know if 360 era was the best or not but it was definitely the most next-gen feeling since we moved to 3D.

Yea. I don't know how to explain it, but i feel we barely budged since then. Physics nor AI has really improved, some regressions even. Graphics did improve but not by a leap. We've hit diminishing returns HARD since that gen.

SHA

Yea. I don't know how to explain it, but i feel we barely budged since then. Physics nor AI has really improved, some regressions even. Graphics did improve but not by a leap. We've hit diminishing returns HARD since that gen.
It's Business, they aren't passionate about Technology as we do.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
360 didn’t hurt Microsoft also it motivated Sony to create more franchises it was the best gaming generation ever.

Top Bottom