• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This year might be good but 360 was something else [new Crowbcat video]

Luigi Mario

Oh you’re one of those. Dude I’m talking about games people care about. You know, like all of the ones in crowbcats video from 07 onwards that’s the whole point of this thread and the very point of discussion everyone here is having. As we contrast that caliber of games from 10 years ago to the equivalent caliber now?

Did you notice how flower 2008 and journey 2010 weren’t featured in the video despite being artful respectable great games? Seems like you’ve constructed a strawman here
Imagine calling other members “clowns” and then trying to imply that people don't care about Baldur's Gate 3.

Also, I do wonder why Crowbcat wouldn't include Flower or Journey in his Xbox 360 retrospective?
There might be an explanation for that, but definitely not yours.

Imagine calling other members “clowns” and then trying to imply that people don't care about Baldur's Gate 3.

Also, I do wonder why Crowbcat wouldn't include Flower or Journey in his Xbox 360 retrospective?
There might be an explanation for that, but definitely not yours.
No I meant the other ones. Baldurs gate 3 has been a modest success

And because he was focusing on the big budget AAA blockbusters not small indies. Not really a grand conspiracy or a deep explanation

I clearly remember many people in gaming forums at the time just kept complaining about how games were being dumbed down, campaigns getting shorter, that everything was dumb dudebro shooter and publishers only cared about multiplayer, that games from past gens were much better, a feeling made worse by the decay of once popular series like Need for Speed, Final Fantasy, DMC, etc.

I really liked that gen but damn, i guess people never change.
It's more like we're on a constant landslide heading down, and the view 10 feet back looks better and better the further down you slide. We're pretty much at rock bottom right now, so everything above looks great from here, even the later years of the 360 era.

Sushi_Combo

I remember vividly enjoying most of this generation. The 360 started off very strong, then the Ps3 came in a little later and started killing it with their titles. Gamers won that generation. I don't feel the same steady stream of quality games in this current gen..or maybe I'm just getting older lol.

Guilty_AI

It's more like we're on a constant landslide heading down, and the view 10 feet back looks better and better the further down you slide. We're pretty much at rock bottom right now, so everything above looks great from here, even the later years of the 360 era.
Sorry, but having just finished a session of BG3 right now, i have to wholeheartedly disagree.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Not a month without a good release on early 360 with 2011 being best year in gaming ever. It started slowing down around 2012/3 if I remember correctly.
People whine about their wallets and time now that 2 games come 3 months apart.... But on 360/ps3, if you wanted to play everything, it was crazy to keep pace haha.

What’s crazy is that those ip’s are pretty much still a staple in gaming in 2023!

Raven117

lost matthew fox GIF

I bought so many games in that period, holy shit.

360 was so good. How did they tumble from that era
Probably because they benefited from the Sony complete fumble of the ps3 and how difficult it was to use for developers.

AREYOUOKAY?

The graphic whores won, but at what cost?
Less games or confusing game development due to all the different console versions like the Pro’s, Series S, Series E, Series X, or whatever stupid names given to them because they will never be satisfied until it’s 10K or whatever future resolution is possible.

Being forced to buy a bigger hard drive to fit all the 100 GB+ sized games or updates since most developers can’t compress their games right or at all.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
This was the best gen to me because its one of the few with actual competition. And horsepower on these machines was strong enough to actually see ideas out.

Reactions: Isa

tmlDan

Holy shit, tell me about it a bit, its so hard to find people who managed to get that far into the game already.
How is the city in terms of content and density? Overall quality? Bugs? Places you can and can't go?
its legitimately massive, I am a bit overwhelmed now so I've taken a break but its amazing.

It has 2 parts, the main entrance or the outer city and the lower city behind it which is huge - there are multiple shops, tons of conversation, there's multiple BIG decisions to make which is a bit stressful lol

Haven't had a bug in this part yet but FPS does fluctuate a lot on my 3080 from 150 fps to some weird drops during convos and some areas to like 50, you can go pretty much everywhere from the underground, the main city, the beaches below the city/the docks - it is DENSE, especially the lower city has so many people lol

I don't recall a city bigger than this in a game, I wish i could say more but i don't want to spoil actual locations that brought a smile or surprised me.

dotnotbot

Except many of the best games of all time have come out during that period, including some recently.

Never understand this complaint.

I agree good games are still coming out. The problem is amount of new IPs and ideas in the AAA space, just take a look on that list and compare with current EA/Ubisoft/2K lineups, nowadays if you want something creative/original then indie games have you covered but AAA feels too safe.

Last edited:

ByWatterson

Literally the best two open world games of all time (Elden Ring and TOTK) came out in the last year and a half.

The exclusive games for xbox 360 were crazy at launchn and a year in, it made me switch to xbox was planning to get a ps3.

Dead Rising, Gears of War, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Halo 3 insane.

ByWatterson

I agree good games are still coming out. The problem is amount of new IPs and ideas in the AAA space, just take a look on that list and compare with current EA/Ubisoft/2K lineups, nowadays if you want something creative/original then indie games have you covered but AAA feels too safe.

I guess, but AAA of yesteryear is lower budget than even risky AA of today.

We still get the same amount of variety, actually much more. It just doesn't get the same ink or monocultural treatment.

We're in gaming's golden era and people can't stop complaining and catastrpphizing.

Hot take : the X360, in a way, was the true successor to the PS2.
Ex-PS exclusives like Ace combat 7 and Ridge Racer 6 coming out first on X360 (or, not releasing at all on PS3 like AC6), amazing 3rd party, Capcom support like Lost Planet 1 and Dead Rising (also exclusives), Mass effect 1, The orange box, Final Fantasy 13 releasing on it (what a day to be alive just for the meltdowns 😁) etc etc, not to mention best 3rd party looking games compared to PS3.
In fact, to this day, i'm still salty about the "investment" I did on the PS3 since, for me, there was almost nothing of value on it, most games performed/looked better on the X360 meaning, I played all the multiplats on the X360, my PS3 sat there gathering dust and it became my God of war 3, Demon's souls and Uncharted 2 machine with a couple of BR movies thrown in , worst PS console ever IMO especially after the utter brilliance that was the PS2.

Shame about the RROD fiasco (went through 4 of them), other than that...

Last edited:
I went through 3 xbox 360s but UPS would pick it up and deliver a "new" one each time.

True brother.
Back in the day, where I lived, we had to send them to Germany to have them fixed and the whole thing would take 2 weeks tops.

Still, no matter the good after sales.support it's something that I can't praise, they knew about the problem but they decided to release the console anyway as to have a headstart, fucking inexcusable if you ask me (and millions others).

It wasn't until the 3rd hardware revision IIRC that things got better.

Cheers

Last edited:

Barakov

Not a month without a good release on early 360 with 2011 being best year in gaming ever. It started slowing down around 2012/3 if I remember correctly.
People whine about their wallets and time now that 2 games come 3 months apart.... But on 360/ps3, if you wanted to play everything, it was crazy to keep pace haha.

Yeah, 2007-2012 the 360 had some bangers. There's definitely more than a few reasons people look back on that system fondly.

DW74

1998 was the best year for gaming.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Tekken 3
Half-Life
Metal Gear Solid
Grim Fandango
Resident Evil 2
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Marvel vs Capcom
Dead or Alive
StarCraft
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Banjo-Kazooie
Thief: The Dark Project
Baldur's Gate
Xenogears
Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus
NFL Blitz
1080° Snowboarding
Battlezone
Turok 2: Seeds of Evil
Unreal
R4: Ridge Racer Type 4
Need for Speed III
Crash Bandicoot: Warped
Gran Turismo (in USA)
Tomb Raider III
Fallout 2
Spyro the Dragon
Rainbow Six
Parasite Eve
Soulcalibur
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
Tenchu
Suikoden II
Starsiege Tribes
Falcon 4.0
Twisted Metal III
Sin
Brave Fencer Musashi
Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith
Star Ocean Second Story
Colony Wars Vengeance
Descent Freespace
F-Zero X
FF Tactics

And of course, Windows 98.

I'm not even sure I got 'em all here. Sure there are others that just weren't up my alley. I was an adult spending adult money. What a fantastic time.

1998 truly was the ultimate year in gaming and god damn am I glad I was a 10/11 year old kid for it. There were more masterpieces released in that one year alone than the sum of all best games on the entire PS4/XB1 generation combined. Wild.

Fenix34

I remove teeth
I like 360/ps3 generation.I met with mgs4 after i complete all main games these series.Next infamous 1 nice game.
Also i remember many shumps from cave .Alan wake,Demon souls ,Gta 4
gt5 .And online Killzone 2 which was very competitive plus warhawk.

Guilty_AI

thats like...1 game.
Right, because one example negates the whole current era we're going through...
I mean, there's more. I purchased Daemon X Machina to play ahead of Armored Core 6, Was playing Nier Replicant right up to Bg3 release, played HROT a few months ago, bought Lunacid and looking forward to its full release, to this day i still sometimes play Mystia Izakaya as its such a relaxing game... and thats just me. Jagged Alliance 3, Zelda, Hi-Fi rush, there is no shortage of great games.

The problem here is what i explained in a post earlier. Videos like this are all too happy to include games like Dead Rising and Ghost Recon, titles considered to be low-profile bargain bin stuff back then, or even games like Dead Rising 2 and Resistance, games that were generally considered rather mediocre by most upon release, with just a small following.

Yet, the many that are all too happy to sing praises to those times with such "proofs", that there were so many more great releases back then, happily ignore modern releases that are of the same profile as of these, "They don't count", usually for some dumb reason - not unlike similar persons from that period who did the same things, and voiced the same complaints then, ironically enough.
If you count Resistance, you should include Strangers in Paradise, if you include Ghost Recon, you should include Jagged Alliance 3. And so on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom