• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ to Receive $6.55 Million in Sale of IP to Nordic Games, Gearbox, and 505

2MF

Gearbox knows that they will make up that $1.35 million investment (plus whatever ancillary costs they will incur to "modernize" them) within hours of the Homeworld titles going on sale on Steam/GOG.

Is that how it works? By buying the IP they also own all the previous games with that IP?

The THQ IPs aren't worth the cost to develop them it seems. It's a shame.

I wonder if WB Games ever consulted with 5th Cell about buying Drawn to Life, given their relationship with Scribblenauts.

PaulLFC

The RPS article and request for Darksiders feedback has at least given me a bit of hope that Nordic may look to continue the series.

Hopefully they licence Red Faction to Volition if they want to make a new game.

amardilo

Sounds like Nordic Games cleaned up.

To me Darksiders and Red Faction are some tier IPs and they also acquired some solid (in that there were some good games in those franchises and they could be revived) IPs too like Destroy All Humans!, Deadly Creatures and MX vs ATV.

I've never thought of Nordic Games having the publisher muscle (cash and promotion) to make big budget/epic AAA...ish retail games (not to say games they published in the past are not great and of good quality as I think they did retail PC game releases of Tourchlight, Painkiller and Alan Wake) so it will be interesting to see how this changes Nordic Games or what happens to those IPs.

With the IP they have picked up I would like to see Nordic Games start to make a big push and compete with some console publishers and use the IP they acquired or sell off the bigger name IPs to a big name developer studio or publisher. If they want to publish the games themselves I don't think they need to scale up to a EA or Activision size publisher but it might be good to see a return of the mid-tier publisher.

Alastor

This should be in the OP.

It really should.

Naturally we dont have any sure plans for the future of the series as we dont even have a development team.
So for now we will be analysing the situation and try to figure out whats the best option.

One thing is sure: The tale of the four horsemen is not over!

Nordic Games does not want to sit on the Darksiders IP, they want to find a dev team and make the third game!

All of THQ's IPs are dead now, it seems. No chance of anything they release being good. This and Gearbox getting Homeworld were some of the worst possible outcomes.

bengraven

Didn't anyone else show up at this sale?

"Oh shit," Sega said, looking at the calendar.
"Huh?" asked Square Soft.
"It's the day of the THQ sale! We're late!"
"Bugger fuck!" CD Projekt screamed from the toilet.

Top Bottom