• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ to Receive $6.55 Million in Sale of IP to Nordic Games, Gearbox, and 505

I do feel it says some interesting things about the market that what ultimately amounts to an ancient and dead RTS series was seen as more desirable than Darksiders or Red Faction.

I think (maybe) that Gearbox saw that there's clearly a recent interest on old PC IP's as of late, as seen in recent Kickstarters.

There's clearly a market there, a kinda fresh one. Unlike the case of Red Faction and Darksiders. Although I never thought companies would see so little value on Darksiders. At least not to be packed in the same bag as all those other THQ dead IP's.

sflufan

Banned
Gearbox knows that they will make up that $1.35 million investment (plus whatever ancillary costs they will incur to "modernize" them) within hours of the Homeworld titles going on sale on Steam/GOG.

LQX

I thought they did everything piecemeal to make more money but in the end it does not look like they made that much. Hell, THQ could have possibly bounced back next gen.

We found out from Randy Pitchford's twitter though that they were doing a live auction against two other companies, and those companies weren't Stardock and Paradox (but instead people who bid higher than either).

That was a lot of interest for a 10 year old IP then. And it wouldn't surprise me many were interested in more then "legacy" sales if that were bidding up to that price.

Gearbox knows that they will make up that $1.35 million investment within hours of the Homeworld titles going on sale on Steam/GOG.

I would estimate then would need to pull in about $2 million in revenue to break even with that IP cost when factoring other distribution costs. If they pull in an average revenue of $10 a copy, that is still 200,000 copies which as great a game Homeworld is, well, it's still a lot.

Any idea how many copies AOE 2 HD pulled in the past month? That game IMO has more of legacy name pull and not sure it even sold that many.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
That was a lot of interest for a 10 year old IP then. And it wouldn't surprise me many were interested in more then "legacy" sales if that were bidding up to that price.

Well especially with Homeworld since current legacy sales are worth about $0 unless they actually do the work to re-release the thing, which is more than just printing more discs for something like Darksiders or Red Faction.

Goodness, the Europeans (Crytek/Ubisoft/Deep Silver/Nordic) really had a field day picking over THQ's carcass, eh?

Shows you how scared US pubs are running as they try to figure out the new marketplace. There could be a little to the prevalence of digital and PC distribution in Europe that might make the EUR pubs a little less fearful.

Plus, keep in mind that the Sandy Hook shootings took place right around the time these auctions kicked off and that might have impacted the way some US-based pubs (ie Riccitiello at the hearings) approached the bid with things like Saint's Row on the table. Just a thought.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I really have to agree with people saying that April has been the worst month so far of this year. Damn, really no one wanted IP's that screamed potential.

You know what hurts more? Is that with Darksiders 3, we would've played with the 4 Horsemen. Fuck everything. But specially, fuck that drawing game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Shows you how scared US pubs are running as they try to figure out the new marketplace. There could be a little to the prevalence of digital and PC distribution in Europe that might make the EUR pubs a little less fearful.

Plus, keep in mind that the Sandy Hook shootings took place right around the time these auctions kicked off and that might have impacted the way some pubs (ie Riccitello at the hearings) approached the bid with things like Saint's Row on the table. Just a thought.

I imagine the primary differentiator is that most of the biggest publishers are current dumping games on the tier of THQ whereas for some of the smaller European outfits it's a notable step up.

Like I feel it's especially notable that the biggest European outfit, Ubisoft, primarily bought THQ Montreal not for their new game, but for their senior staff to work on their existing titles.

TaroYamada

This makes me sad, THQ was my favorite western publisher.... I'll miss Darksiders, Red Faction and Homeworld. I had high hopes that Deep Silver would get Red Faction, Crytek would get Darksiders and SEGA Homeworld.

Look at those prices. It seems to indicate no major publisher was interested in any of them at all. Lol.

I wonder though if its how the whole selling process has been handled. Had they taken another route by trying to negotiate deals directly with each publisher and then taking the best ones, I think they might have garnered more interest from bigger publishers. This was just a Quick & Dirty way to try to get some people to blink and overpay. Most publishers need way more time and thought when looking into buying IPs.

Gearbox made Homeworld cataclysm didn't they?

That gives me some hope they will treat the ip with respect and maybe not farm this one off to timegate eh randy.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Homeworld to Gearbox is awful news.

Leucrota

Can't stand seeing that GeoMod engine go to waste. The fuck

Couldn't Nordic make some decent money by licensing out the tech used in the Red Faction series?

With some much of a learning curve to that engine (Volition developers literally had to take architecture classes to learn how to make buildings that did not fall down immediately) I don't see anyone but the most dedicated teams every using that engine. If we get one game with the newest GeoMod incarnation next gen, I will cry.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Why are people complaining about Gearbox? Out of every game on that list, Homeworld now has the best chance at actually being put to some sort of good use.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Well, I guess we will be getting PC releases of any future titles. Wonder what Nordic is planning to do with Darksiders.

I honestly expect Nordic to actually make new Darksiders and Red Faction games. I don't really have high hopes for them though, they are a classic Grade B Eurojank company.

t26

So what is Nordic going to do? I mean they could get their money back with a couple of steam sales but is that it?

Oh my god, very sad news. Darksiders going to Nordic means that the IP is effectively dead. Still can't believe no major publisher went for it.

Good night sweet Darksiders - you will be dearly missed.

scitek

Damn, the 2nd reply in that thread.

As one of the co-founders of Vigil and the lead level designer/principal designer on both games, all I can say is... make it adventurous.

And do what we would've done: let people know what happens when those other three comets land on Earth! Four player co-op or bust!

Good luck to you guys. You've adopted our baby.

Ryan Stefanelli (now @Crytek)

Tizoc

de Blob series is now owned by Nordic Games it seems, but I don't think this'll mean 2 will be back on PSN any time soon huh?

Keasar

First news I read in the morning.

CltSo.gif

Crytek, what happened with that interest? PlatinumGames you fools! This could have been that opportunity to find that western style to work with!
You got beaten by Nordic Games! I live in Sweden and even I had forgotten about them!

Huh, so why did Nordic want to keep their purchasing of those IPs a secret until E3? Or was that misinformation?

If it wasn't, what can we take their asking for secrecy to mean? Signing an exclusive deal with one of the big three? Or just hoping to make a splash at E3?

Bittercup

Huh, so why did Nordic want to keep their purchasing of those IPs a secret until E3? Or was that misinformation?
I don't know but on Rock, Paper Shotgun they mention that "So far, Nordic’s mentioned the following series by name, but with the caveat that its full bounty includes “much more”:"
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/23/and-everything-else-from-thq-went-to-nordic-games/
Not sure which games are missing but at least it sounds like not all IPs Nordic Games bought have been revealed so far.

That's it then. Those IPs are dead. Jowood is a terrible publisher.
Jowood was a terrible publisher that went bankrupt and then was bought by Nordic Games.
So the "Nordic games=JoWooD Entertainment" comment isn't entirely incorrect but gives a wrong picture.

Their statement (from the RPS link above): "A very important point for us is not to dash into several self-financed multi-million dollar projects right away, but rather to continue our in-depth analysis of all titles and carefully selecting different financing models for developing new instalments of acquired IPs.”

“In the long term, we either want to cooperate with the original creators or best possible developers in order to work on sequels or additional content for these titles.”
sounds fine, as well. At least they probably won't milk those franchises and potential work with the original developers would be great.

I don't know but on Rock, Paper Shotgun they mention that "So far, Nordic’s mentioned the following series by name, but with the caveat that its full bounty includes “much more”:"
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/23/and-everything-else-from-thq-went-to-nordic-games/

Not sure which games are missing but at least it sounds like not all IPs Nordic Games bought have been revealed so far.

Thanks.

Looks like they picked up some excellent IPs. I really hope they get to work on a sequel to The Outfit.

Titan Quest
Darksiders
Red Faction
MX vs. ATV
Frontlines
Juiced
Stuntman
Destroy All Humans
Deadly Creatures
The Outfit
Summoner
Full Spectrum Warrior
Supreme Commander

Wouldn't say no to a new Destroy all Humans and Full Spectrum Warrior either.

I have to say, the above list looks pretty conclusive, what else could there be?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I am somewhat tempted to ask Nordic if they will be honoring our free copies of Destroy all Humans 2 THQ still owed us from 2006.

Top Bottom