• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ to Receive $6.55 Million in Sale of IP to Nordic Games, Gearbox, and 505

duckroll

They'll probably try to flip the licensed stuff though since those deals are going to run out sooner than later. Might even try to sell them back early to the licensee.

Oh yeah that is a possibility. But I think in general we can expect that Darksiders and Red Faction are pretty much dead IPs at this point in terms of possible future games. If no one wants to even pay 1-2 million for the IPs, no one is going to invest 10 million into an actual game. RIP.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Holy Shit: 505 got a sweet deal out of this. Drawn to Life are always million sellers so that is successful business.
Every franchise that comes out of this mess successfully will be a sweet deal. It's been bargain after bargain, if you know what to do with them, atleast.

Alrus

What the hell is Jowood going to do with the Darksiders IP? They're a C tier publisher and the games are kinda costly to make...

Meier

Kinda pissed off Crytek did all that talk about buying Darksiders and giving it back to Vigil only to not put a bid down. Fuck them.
I thought the original was great but didn't play DS 2 due to all the negative reactions to it. I didn't find the IP itself to be particularly compelling so it's no big loss. I'll be interested to see what they do next though.

What the hell is Jowood going to do with the Darksiders IP? They're a C tier publisher and the games are kinda costly to make...

Re-release it and sit on it, passively making royalties for the next decade.

In other words, dead.

RIP Darksiders
RIP Red Faction
RIP Destroy All Humans
RIP Summoner
RIP Supreme Commanader
RIP De Blob
RIP Deadly Creatures

Jawmuncher

Like everyone else has said.
They're just going to go for legacy sales at this point. Doubt they'll make a new game

Valnen

I thought the original was great but didn't play DS 2 due to all the negative reactions to it. I didn't find the IP itself to be particularly compelling so it's no big loss. I'll be interested to see what they do next though.

Both Darksiders 1 and 2 are fun games. It's a huge loss.

Jawmuncher

The only decent thing I can think of is of Nordic at least ports these all to PC or rereleases them.

Stuff like summoner is love to play again.

LiK

FYI, even if they decide to make DS3, it won't have Joe Mad involved so it'll look different anyway.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I don't think they're going to be able to "flip" anything. If someone seriously wanted any of these IPs to make a game with, they would have gotten them. These are rock bottom prices. Nordic is probably just going to sit on the IPs and make money from legacy titles sales over the years, which could be a decent investment.

Yeah, that would be my guess.

boingball

Nordic Games? I wonder what their business model is buying all those IPs from bankruptcies. Just milking the cash flow? Don't see them becoming a new Koch/Deep Silver (who are trying to become a respected publisher, first with Dead Island and now Saints Row).

Depressing outcome.

Valnen

Why? Vigil got bought out and can make a new game instead of just making Darksiders 3. They're talented guys, I'm sure they can do something cool again.

I wanted at least 4 Darksiders games before seeing the IP die. I would have vastly preferred Darksiders 3 to anything else.

smr00

Banned
Re-release it and sit on it, passively making royalties for the next decade.

In other words, dead.

RIP Darksiders
RIP Red Faction
RIP Destroy All Humans
RIP Summoner
RIP Supreme Commanader
RIP De Blob
Red Faction was already on life support and Summoner? There hasn't been a Summoner game in 11 years.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Was hoping Volition carried Red Faction with them, but oh well. Hope they can use the destruction engine again, in something.

Or buy the Freespace/Descent IP.

gabbo

Has Gearbox ever made a non-FPS? It seems odd they'd jump on this other than to release it on DD with PR line similar to the one given when they acquired the Duke Nukem license

If Crytek had gotten the IP as it said it would, it would have ended up becoming "crappy F2P bullshit" anyways.

It was always going to be a lose-lose situation.

It would of at least been a good game underneath it all and may still have been a visual showcase.

Now its gameloft status.

Shame Platinum didn't think it viable to bid for whatever reason.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So what does that mean? Just sit on the IP?

Sit on the IP, sell the games that already exist, collect cash for doing basically nothing.

It's conceivable they could publish an MX game since those sold pretty well and it could cost very little to make.

Top Bottom