• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ to Receive $6.55 Million in Sale of IP to Nordic Games, Gearbox, and 505

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
This is the most depressing buyout I've ever witnessed. Hope you guys weren't expecting the franchises to live on. Since I've given up all hope.

Also drawn to life for 3 million?
Can't believe that was so sought after.

$.3 million. $300,000, in other words. Pocket change.

[edit] I acknowledge I have been beaten by Duckroll.

[edit 2] and Schuelma.

Who's Nordic Games?
605380_258666_front.jpg

997705_225073_front.jpg

611341_200377_front.jpg

971386_145269_front.jpg

997694_171853_front.jpg

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Puts a perspective on what the major publishers think of mid-tier games. These are peanuts, a joke.

LycanXIII

This is the most depressing buyout I've ever witnessed. Hope you guys weren't expecting the franchises to live on. Since I've given up all hope.

Also drawn to life for 3 million?
Can't believe that was so sought after.

$0.3 million. So $300k.

Edit: Beaten badly. :/

Mdk7

That Darksiders thing feels like a direct stab to my poor heart.
FUUUUUUUUUUU
Howcouldanyonedothis.jpg

duckroll

Im guessing Nordic games will flip that stuff separately later.

I don't think they're going to be able to "flip" anything. If someone seriously wanted any of these IPs to make a game with, they would have gotten them. These are rock bottom prices. Nordic is probably just going to sit on the IPs and make money from legacy titles sales over the years, which could be a decent investment.

Weren't there 6 lots? So 3 of them did get any bids? Or did Nordic buy 4 lots?

Nordic bought 5 lots, Gearbox bought 1 lot, 505 bought IPs from one of Nordic's lots.

Dawg

I remember when Darksiders 2 was announced and I was so happy, since I completed the first one a few weeks before and I really really liked it.

I'd like to go back to that time.

;_;

BY2K

Membero Americo
ise1alhmMu1Fj.gif

Fuck everything. Goddamn bullshit! GOD DAMN IT!

Not being bought at all would have been better than this for Darksiders! And Red Faction!

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
i feel like the most valuable thing in all of this is the red faction geo-mod patent.

that bullshit, bullshit patent.

Valnen

I don't think they're going to be able to "flip" anything. If someone seriously wanted any of these IPs to make a game with, they would have gotten them. These are rock bottom prices. Nordic is probably just going to sit on the IPs and make money from legacy titles sales over the years, which could be a decent investment.

That Steam Sale money I guess. Bleh.

Woorloog

Banned

So, RIP Red Faction?

Salsa

With how Darksiders 2 sold I'm not surprised there was no interest. The IP really is worthless without the talent at Vigil behind it.

I think series was dead as soon as Joe Mad left

some people hate the art but that whole world's design was sort of the staple, you cant do Darksiders 3 with a different look

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search

They'll probably try to flip the licensed stuff though since those deals are going to run out sooner than later. Might even try to sell them back early to the licensee.

faridmon

Holy Shit: 505 got a sweet deal out of this. Drawn to Life are always million sellers so that is successful business.

Valnen

Kinda pissed off Crytek did all that talk about buying Darksiders and giving it back to Vigil only to not put a bid down. Fuck them.

wrowa

Nordic and 505 won bids? Holy shit the major publishers didn't give a shit about this auction, did they?

Why would they? None of THQ's IPs are particularly succesful and developing new games costs a ton of money. Being able to pick the IPs up for cheap isn't enough if you don't want to invest 20 million and more into development. It's much smarter to use the IPs you already own and build up.

Logically, we've only seen the publishers present who don't own any well-known IPs. So, even a C-tier IP is still worth something to them.

Meier

Good lord talk about cut rate. I am surprised Crytek didn't get the Darksiders IP after acquiring the team. Wonder what they'll do instead.

Waaghals

That's not a bad price for the Homeworld franchise, all things considered.
it's worth around a quarter of the rest of THQ's back catalogue.

Then again, maybe that's saying more about THQ's games than anything.

Top Bottom