• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ will drop Devil's Third (Itagaki's game)

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Not surprised, this game had middling scores, cult following, and bomba sales written all over it.

Still.. I wanted to play it.

It's a shame when people can say stuff like this based on next to nothing.

Imagine if game developers thought like this.

Do you think Valhalla would have settled for a budget like Lollipop Chainsaw's? Plus, it is partially Itagaki's fault that they didn't showcase the game at E3 or any other trades show to prove THQ that there is interest in the game and there is room for another 3rd person shooter in the market.

They planned to show it at last year's TGS but THQ pulled it from the show at the last minute.

and now we're finding out that there were issues with development with the company that made the engine the game ran on going out of business.

I'm sure Itagaki is at fault to some extent, but it seems there were alot of problems outside of his control as well

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Well, guess that video with Hadoo-Gay wasn't hardcore enough?
This is a bummer for the prestigious DOA god, but look on the brighter side of things, he can go back to Team Ninja HQ, and instruct them how to make a proper Ninja Fucking Gaiden while getting Hayashi Dogs out of their system.

After all is said and done, he can knee Hayashi in the balls, and accost his wife in usual Itagaki fashion.

AAK

They planned to show it at last year's TGS but THQ pulled it from the show at the last minute.

i.e. Team ICO's syndrome of incompetency. They didn't have the game ready at a satisfactory level for being previewed at TGS so it's either poor management at Valhalla or the workforce within were too sluggish in their production. Engine issues and the like, it was their responsibility to have it ready for the trade show. Every developer goes through challenges to get demo's ready for trade shows. The ones that put up are the ones that survive.

Skilletor

i.e. Team ICO's syndrome of incompetency. They didn't have the game ready at a satisfactory level for being previewed at TGS so it's either poor management at Valhalla or the workforce within were too sluggish in their production. Engine issues and the like, it was their responsibility to have it ready for the trade show. Every developer goes through challenges to get demo's ready for trade shows. The ones that put up are the ones that survive.

This is par for the course for Itagaki and co. It's just now he's not the rockstar he was at Tecmo and is now expected to produce in a timely schedule.

Ended up being great for him when he had time (NG1, DoA3), not so good for anything after that.

KageMaru

I'm not sure we can blame Itagaki for the engine troubles, it's not his fault the studio that provided the engine closed down.

This is par for the course for Itagaki and co. It's just now he's not the rockstar he was at Tecmo and is now expected to produce in a timely schedule.

Ended up being great for him when he had time (NG1, DoA3), not so good for anything after that.

One thing american publishers are not as forgiving for than Japanese pubs is huge delays.

AAK

I'm not sure we can blame Itagaki for the engine troubles, it's not his fault the studio that provided the engine closed down.

So they used the engine when it really wasn't so feasible for the game? Again poor management from the Directors/Producers. You don't announce a game and then start accusing other companies for a decision that you made. That's what Silicon Knights is known for, and I'd assume Valhalla has enough prestige to not be compared with them.

AAK

Are you kidding me?, do you realize that the guy had to create his own studio?.

That's not a valid excuse, Once you announce a game, you are expected to bring it at the relevant exhibitions especially if it's coming from a big publisher like THQ.

Hideki Kamiya started his own studio and didn't have the same issues. Once Bayo was revealed it was at all the trade shows and such.

We probably should have all seen this coming back when THQ pulled the game from TGS last year, after creating an E3 trailer specifically to tease the TGS showing.

maeda

At this point, I would be happy just to see it in action. I think it would have been an amazing game and if it is how itakagi described it, it would of be the first game that married the best of hack and slash games and shooters. it could of been a genre redefining game.
fixed
But yeah, that was what excited me personally. Finally a game with great long range and close range action. Add in parcour and you get a truly revolutionary concept. I hope we get to see if Itagaki can deliver on the promise.

Top Bottom