• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ will drop Devil's Third (Itagaki's game)

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
But, what I'm saying is, that it's not better there. You just aren't hearing about the failures because it's like not hearing about a individual murder when there are massacres going on. It's not healthy. It's equally unhealthy. And the creativity and innovation thing I totally disagree with you. Yeah, 5...10 years ago the indy scene was booming with brilliance. Not so much anymore, if at all. But that's arguable. We can agree to disagree there.

But what we can't really argue about is that there are literally hundreds of indy games coming out a month and you and I will not hear of any of them, maybe one most likely. They will not break through the strata of the indy cloud. They will not sell and each game was at least 1 person's effort to make money in this market.

Case in point: many indy games these days are actually free, but they still can't get people to notice them. That wasn't the case 10 years ago. A free indy game would come out and everyone that was interested in the niche market flocked to it as it was THE free game of the week or two.

Yes, but look at the size of the team. It is over saturated, I agree with you, but the reason is because they have a chance. The business market there is better so you're seeing more risk. Risk is what makes the break out successes. I do see this impacting the crash though. It's the same thing that happened back in the Atari days, so history is repeating itself. All I'm saying is that whatever market is there in the portable market needs to be made available in the console space but perhaps with a little bit better regulation to stop the over saturation.

sleepykyo

So you prefer they keep on publishing trash as long as it makes money as opposed to good titles worth purchasing?

They published Demon's Souls, Catherine, KoF 13. So yes, I'd rather see them in business because there aren't a lot of small console publishers left.

Let Microsoft or Sony jump on the grenade.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
2 (well maybe 1 and a half) excellent games, 4 very average fighting games and 2 godawful panderfests isn't what I'd call an excellent resume. It's a one hit-wonder resume, a got a bit lucky and hasn't been able to recreate that magic again resume.

well, obviously its debatable, but i'd argue that NG 1 and 2 are excellent games. i think DoA, despite not being as "competitive" as other fighters, is clearly not an average fighter. in the world of gaming, he is responsible for a number of very solid games, something not easily accomplished. so yeah, great resume.

Should've never went with THQ in the first place given their financial situation.

My guess: Square Enix will pick it up if possible. They picked up True Crime so I can see them eyeing this as a chance to broaden their portfolio.

Wasn't DT using some of THQ's tech though, that would prevent them from taking the code elsewhere?

KageMaru

2 (well maybe 1 and a half) excellent games, 4 very average fighting games and 2 godawful panderfests isn't what I'd call an excellent resume. It's a one hit-wonder resume, a got a bit lucky and hasn't been able to recreate that magic again resume.

Regardless of your opinion of his games, every one was a success IIRC, so that's all that matters really.

Busty

Banned
From here on in my stock answer for anything regarding THQ, whether it's who is going to buy up THQ in a fire sale or publish their 'cancelled' titles, is WB Games.

So WB Games will pick up the publishing rights to this for a pittance.

benzy

Fuuuuu

They were using THQ's game engine too. I wonder how a new publisher is going to work out for the game, if that even happens.

duckroll

If he releases a video with what they have, how much they need, and where they want to go with the game. They might have a shot.

But erm, that's not the problem here. The game is still being developed, it's still being funded. The game isn't being cancelled. What is happening is that THQ wants to sell their rights for the game off to another publisher because they presumably either cannot afford to or do not want to market and distribute the game any longer. Valhalla is not a publisher, so there is no reason they would use Kickstarter to raise 20 million dollars to market and distribute the game worldwide. THQ also owns the rights, not Valhalla, so I'm not sure what is being Kickstarted here...

From here on in my stock answer for anything regarding THQ, whether it's who is going to buy up THQ in a fire sale or publish their 'cancelled' titles, is WB Games.

So WB Games will pick up the publishing rights to this for a pittance.

WB Games is a good guess, but as it's still a ways from completion, they'd be taking on a lot more than just the publishing rights. I wouldn't be shocked if it's cancelled.

Kifimbo

If anything happens to Patrice Désilets' unannounced game I'll kill somebody. I'm very curious to see what he's capable of after creating Assassin's Creed.

Danny Bilson (THQ VP) made a trip to Montreal last week, so it's still alive.

Heading home from our Montreal Studio. Great work underway there.

And if there is a game/studio another company will buy, it's THQ Montreal. Especially with the tax incentives.

benzy

But erm, that's not the problem here. The game is still being developed, it's still being funded. The game isn't being cancelled. What is happening is that THQ wants to sell their rights for the game off to another publisher because they presumably either cannot afford to or do not want to market and distribute the game any longer. Valhalla is not a publisher, so there is no reason they would use Kickstarter to raise 20 million dollars to market and distribute the game worldwide. THQ also owns the rights, not Valhalla, so I'm not sure what is being Kickstarted here...

So it won't be at E3?

It's been 2 years since they announced and showed the game, which looked good at the time too. Surely they've made significant advancement from that time.

devilsthird_slicedice.gif

*Itagaki crying, snuggling with his daughter, watching Armageddon for the 5th time while I Don't Want to Miss a Thing plays in the background*

Crap, what will happen with game itself if they can't find a publisher?, I mean the IP belongs to THQ right?.

Good luck to Valhalla Studios.

Bioshock moved back
Tomb Raider moved back
Devil's Third being dropped

Those are literally my three most wanted games. It's been a bad week :-(

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Well there goes half of my interest in E3

I really hope this comes out

Really extremely disappointed it won't be brought out by THQ. They seemed to give Itagaki alot of creative freedom and I would have loved to play the result of that.

At this point I just hope they're able to get the game out. Damn shame if all their effort was wasted these past few years

Well i guess that trailer didn't make enough hype then ....

It was 2 years ago and of a very early build.

There would probably be a bit more hype if literally anything had been shown since then. (Only thing after that was the Hard Gay special and the game being pulled from TGS last year)

This is the trailer

UrbanRats

Don't worry, there will be two militaristic shooters to take its place.

Which is funny, since Itagaki's GOTY 2011 were CoD and BF3.
He also rambled on about how Battlefield 3 was not accurate in its military depiction, and how he was going to be accurate; i wonder if the actual Devil's Third has ANYTHING to do with the old trailer we saw.

The death of THQ is fun to watch. That ship is going down fast and their hurling as much shit overboard as they can to stay afloat. But I think Itagaki is one to wear a life preserver and he'll probably be picked up by the EA boat down the river.

I really wish THQ was in a better position. Bilson seemed like a CEO that actually cared about the game, and wanted to make THQ a company where the creative people could flex their muscles and do what they wanted, and THQ would support them and not control them or force them in a certain direction.

Instro

uDraw for PS360 was an almost ET level disaster.

Yeah, oddly it was their casual stuff that hurt them very badly, and they killed off that side of the company because of it. Which continues to make me wonder what their WiiU exclusive is.

Does he really though?

His Ninja Gaiden games are of course a success. His DoA games are terrible (in particular he played a huge part in watering down and destroying the gameplay of DoA4) but they sold well and to a publisher that's all which should matter.

I don't think you can say that he has a long list of success like Mikami, but he does know how to make games that sell.

Mdk7

VERY sad news for me (i love Itagaki, even if to tell the truth i wasn't really feeling this new IP that much...), but far from surprising at this point.
This game's always been pretty much nothing but vaporware.

Top Bottom