• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ will drop Devil's Third (Itagaki's game)

I wonder what aerosmith song he'll be listening to right now.

ice cold
KuGsj.gif

KageMaru

Not really surprising, given the situation THQ is in. Guess we won't be seeing this game at E3 :(

What needs to happen: Microsoft buys Itagaki's studio. Then give Tecmo enough money to buy the Ninja Gaiden IP. Then have Itagaki revive the series after the UT Team Ninja Dog used on the series with NG3.

Why would you want Itagaki's masterpieces to be exclusive to one system? You gotta share the love and have it available to as many people as possible.

Why does this have to happen to the good devs. Why can't bad studios ever be shutdown :(. I think THQ is underestimating how much of a fanbase he has. with decent marketing the game will easily hit 1 million on his old fanbase wanting something that rivals the NGB/Bayonneta.

Problem is the game isn't being designed to be similar to NG/Bayonetta. So it won't be rivaling either of them.

Theonik

If the game ends up being picked up by another publisher they need to add a bonus video on the disk of Itagaki's cycle of self loading, armageddon and Aerosmith.If that were to happen I'd buy the game day 1.

Elios83

If the game is already in playable state and it's good, THQ will easily sell the IP to an other publisher and the game will still be released, so I wouldn't worry.
Probably EA will grab it.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Man this generation sucks so bad for original games. The market is going to crash and reset soon I think.

Something has to happen. There's too big of a gap between $.99 mobile games and indies flourishing while the console devs get murdered to death. There's a serious imbalance in the industry right now.

What needs to happen: Microsoft buys Itagaki's studio. Then give Tecmo enough money to buy the Ninja Gaiden IP. Then have Itagaki revive the series after the UT Team Ninja Dog used on the series with NG3.

lol Microsoft buying them.

I love Xbox, but MS doesn't give two shits about making exclusive games anymore outside of Halo, Forza and Kinnect.

If anything happens to Patrice Désilets' unannounced game I'll kill somebody. I'm very curious to see what he's capable of after creating Assassin's Creed.

jett

D-Member
This was inevitable. I imagine Itagaki has been looking for other prospective publishers for a while now, if he's smart.

If anything happens to Patrice Désilets' unannounced game I'll kill somebody. I'm very curious to see what he's capable of after creating Assassin's Creed.

THQ will cease to exist before we see a single screenshot of that.

It seems itagaki cant make games on his name alone..

Not that i'm surprised by the news ..i dont recall seeing a teaser or a concept art

KageMaru

lol Microsoft buying them.

I love Xbox, but MS doesn't give two shits about making exclusive games anymore outside of Halo, Forza and Kinnect.

I'm not a fan of the idea either, but they have been forming and buying studios over the last couple years. Someone mentioned they were up to 18 studios now, though I don't know if he listed who they were after I asked.

duckroll

But that's inSANE, plus it is not cancelled (yet).

Itagaki should've gone with a brawler action game, not a shooter. No one will pick this up.

But it is a brawler action game. It also has shooting. It also has multiplayer. Because shooting and multiplayer are popular. Yeah!

As pretentious as Itagaki can be with development and given the financial troubles THQ is in kinda figured this would happen.

Hopefully EA, WB, Square, 2K, or Bethesda publishing pick this up, but as long as Itagaki takes with development its more than likely dead.

inky

But it is a brawler action game. It also has shooting. It also has multiplayer. Because shooting and multiplayer are popular. Yeah!

Well, my impression is that it was a multiplayer focused shooter with some sword action in between and not the other way around, but I admit I've seen very little of it. Didn't look that interesting tbh.

Something has to happen. There's too big of a gap between $.99 mobile games and indies flourishing while the console devs get murdered to death. There's a serious imbalance in the industry right now.

Indies are not flourishing. Yes, a couple of big hits make it, but most fail and miserably. That should sound familiar.

The imbalance is a lot of things. Many of them affecting the entire spectrum of gaming right now. Oversaturation being the big one. When everyone is out of ideas and the entire spectrum of the "art form" is archived and accessible, the market should shrink, but that never tends to happen. We bubble.

cj_iwakura

no, it really fucking isnt, it has practically zero chance of making money and a bomb this large could kill a publisher as small as them

So you prefer they keep on publishing trash as long as it makes money as opposed to good titles worth purchasing?

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Indies are not flourishing. Yes, a couple of big hits make it, but most fail and miserably. That should sound familiar.

The imbalance is a lot of things. Many of them affecting the entire spectrum of gaming right now. Oversaturation being the big one. When everyone is out of ideas and the entire spectrum of the "art form" is archived and accessible, the market should shrink, but that never tends to happen. We bubble.

Perhaps flourish was the wrong term to use, but certainly the business market is better there and we're seeing more creativity and innovation than in the console space. It's quite obvious that rising dev costs are doing the most damage. I'm curious what the size of the team was that did NSMB on Wii. I'm really shocked more console devs haven't followed that model being that it was one of the most successful games this gen.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
bummer. itagaki has an excellent resume, so hopefully it isnt too hard to find another publisher. MS?

Corto

Can't fault THQ really. It's a shame to Itagaki San though. Can't think of who can pick this game/company and save this mess. Sad day.

Coxy

So you prefer they keep on publishing trash as long as it makes money as opposed to good titles worth purchasing?

no I'm definitely not a fan of them publishing stuff like a game of thrones/the cursed crusade either,I've been pretty vocal about that but throwing themselves on this grenade isnt their only other option ya know? lol

cj_iwakura

no I'm definitely not a fan of them publishing stuff like a game of thrones/the cursed crusade either,I've been pretty vocal about that but throwing themselves on this grenade isnt their only other option ya know? lol

I think it's their best option. It would get them some recognition, and this is a game worth taking a chance on, not Cyanide's tripe.

duckroll

Well, my impression is that it was a multiplayer focused shooter with some sword action in between and not the other way around, but I admit I've seen very little of it. Didn't look that interesting tbh.

That's what the original trailer looked like. But there was a survey conducted last year where they seemed to describe the game in much more detail and it just sounds like Ninja Gaiden + third person shooting + multiplayer. It's pretty hard to get a good sense of how the game really looks like without new footage, but it definitely had melee weapons, martial arts hand-to-hand combat, wall running, jumping from building to building, fast paced shit, and also shooting. Apparently the theme of the game is to make stylish and beautiful kills.

First inSANE, now this.
Wait, what's with inSANE? I haven't heard any bad news (or news at all) about it. Did something bad happen to it?

And damn for Devil's Third; I am looking forward to that game, it looks fun and creative! I'm looking forward to many THQ games (Metro, inSANE, Darksiders, SR3dlc, D3rd), so it's sad to see them doing so bad right now. If they die (which I hope not), I hope at least Volition & Valhalla find a good publisher for their upcoming proyects(Ninty?).

Perhaps flourish was the wrong term to use, but certainly the business market is better there and we're seeing more creativity and innovation than in the console space. It's quite obvious that rising dev costs are doing the most damage. I'm curious what the size of the team was that did NSMB on Wii. I'm really shocked more console devs haven't followed that model being that it was one of the most successful games this gen.

But, what I'm saying is, that it's not better there. You just aren't hearing about the failures because it's like not hearing about a individual murder when there are massacres going on. It's not healthy. It's equally unhealthy. And the creativity and innovation thing I totally disagree with you. Yeah, 5...10 years ago the indy scene was booming with brilliance. Not so much anymore, if at all. But that's arguable. We can agree to disagree there.

But what we can't really argue about is that there are literally hundreds of indy games coming out a month and you and I will not hear of any of them, maybe one most likely. They will not break through the strata of the indy cloud. They will not sell and each game was at least 1 person's effort to make money in this market.

Case in point: many indy games these days are actually free, but they still can't get people to notice them. That wasn't the case 10 years ago. A free indy game would come out and everyone that was interested in the niche market flocked to it as it was THE free game of the week or two. These devs are now backed in a wall, a wall with nothing behind it.

Top Bottom