• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ will drop Devil's Third (Itagaki's game)

Beth Cyra

Did the Bayo2 rumour end up true? If so, could mean both Devil's Third and Bayo2 being shopped around to pubs at the same time.

After the success of well-known IP like Ninja Gaiden 3 you have to wonder who is gonna want to invest.

I would love to know why this has taken so long to come out. Makes me think THQ should have managed the project better and been harsher with deadlines. It was announced over two years ago.

Bayo 2 wouldn't be shopped around, it is owned by Sega.

UrbanRats

Damn, Itagaki always sounded so happy to work with THQ.
But yeah, seeing the state of THQ, it's not really a surprise, still, i thought they were going to hang on to it until the end.

I hope someone will pick this up, cause i relly want to see it done.

What needs to happen: Microsoft buys Itagaki's studio. Then give Tecmo enough money to buy the Ninja Gaiden IP. Then have Itagaki revive the series after the UT Team Ninja Dog used on the series with NG3.

If Microsoft cared about exclusives or Japan, that's probably exactly what they would do.

Sadly neither is the case.

Go_Ly_Dow

5505685_det.jpg

Holy shit. Just remembered that thread :/

Glass Rebel

I wasn't looking forward to the game but this sucks for everyone involved and/or interested, especially Itagaki. I hope he finds a pub for DT.

Every time I see a thread about THQ I'm afraid Relic or Vigil might bite the dust. The former luckily has CoH2 lined up but I'm afraid Vigil might be gone if Darksiders II tanks :(

Couple of unforseen events why they aren't publishing game.

Engine company went out of business, took a lot of time and money to fix

Yen increasing in value also a factor.

Profitability probably not going to happen

Working with others to get the game out there.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Couple of unforseen events why they aren't publishing game.

Engine company went out of business, took a lot of time and money to fix

Yen increasing in value also a factor.

Profitability probably not going to happen

Working with others to get the game out there.

Wow, you couldn't make it up.

Why does this have to happen to the good devs. Why can't bad studios ever be shutdown :(. I think THQ is underestimating how much of a fanbase he has. with decent marketing the game will easily hit 1 million on his old fanbase wanting something that rivals the NGB/Bayonneta.

Why would anyone pick this up for release at the end of a console generation? A Wii U publisher maybe, or a publisher willing to restructure it into a PS4/720 launch title, but you're essentially pissing money away launching this in the 6 month window before Fall 2013.

Why would anyone pick this up for release at the end of a console generation? A Wii U publisher maybe, or a publisher willing to restructure it into a PS4/720 launch title, but you're essentially pissing money away launching this in the 6 month window before Fall 2013.

Because they will likely get the game cheap due to THQ eating a bunch of losses already on it.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
What sort of podunk engine were they using that it totally borked them when the company they licensed it from went out of business?

duckroll

Dude, THQ really can't afford to walk this way anymore, because they're not an angel. It's sad that they can't dream on, and had to give away their last child like this. It's kinda crazy but the game is really livin' on the edge right now, and it looks like they finally got their pink slip. But I doubt anyone will be cryin' for long. Itagaki will get this game out no matter what it takes. Probably while listeing to "Janie's Got a Gun" or something. Falling in love is hard on the knees, but we shouldn't get jaded by this, because we'll definitely see Valhalla on the other side, and it'll be amazing. They just need to come together and get back in the saddle to create a sweet emotion. I just hope the game doesn't have rag doll physics, but other than that I don't wanna miss a thing. So let's all get together and make love in an elevator while we wait!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
THQ was a wierd fit for this game anyway. I honestly can't think of any quirky Japanese games that THQ has ever published.....?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Because they will likely get the game cheap due to THQ eating a bunch of losses already on it.

It's not like the game is sitting there done... there's likely still another ~12 months of dev time judging by THQs previous release schedule.

However cheap it is likely isn't cheap enough at this stage of the generation or in the state the market is in at the moment.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Bethesda needs to pick this up. Have Itagaki and Mikami under one publishing roof.

Didn't I read somewhere that Valhalla was given like 30 - 40 million dollars for Devil's Third? If THQ are wanting to recoup their losses, the game may just get shelved. This freaking sucks although it's not surprising. I really hope someone scoops their studio up.

Theonik

Dude, THQ really can't afford to walk this way anymore, because they're not an angel. It's sad that they can't dream on, and had to give away their last child like this. It's kinda crazy but the game is really livin' on the edge right now, and it looks like they finally got their pink slip. But I doubt anyone will be cryin' for long. Itagaki will get this game out no matter what it takes. Probably while listeing to "Janie's Got a Gun" or something. Falling in love is hard on the knees, but we shouldn't get jaded by this, because we'll definitely see Valhalla on the other side, and it'll be amazing. They just need to come together and get back in the saddle to create a sweet emotion. I just hope the game doesn't have rag doll physics, but other than that I don't wanna miss a thing. So let's all get together and make love in an elevator while we wait!
*bow* HAHAHA

ezekial45

Banned
Isn't this game also running on the same tech that Space Marine used? If it's published by someone else, I wonder how that will factor into things. Given that THQ must own the rights to it.

KingJ2002

Valhalla should look to these companies for promotion:

Konami
Capcom
Microsoft

Honestly... there's not much known about devil's third... but they need a big publisher to make it a hit. If the game ends up shelved. Itagaki has to restart somewhere else.

rvy

Banned

Masterful. I would vote to get you a new tag, but you know...

I don't even have anything else to say at this point about the state of third-person action games

This year is really speaking for itself

Haha wow, trippy as fuck.

Top Bottom