• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ will drop Devil's Third (Itagaki's game)

ZenaxPure

The death of THQ is fun to watch. That ship is going down fast and their hurling as much shit overboard as they can to stay afloat. But I think Itagaki is one to wear a life preserver and he'll probably be picked up by the EA boat down the river.

What's fun about watching a cool game company go under? Whole situation really sucks for everyone involved and eventually could suck for fans of THQ games unless someone saves them or they can dig their way out of this hole.

Kajiba

=(

Welp, i wonder who will pick this game up. Sucks for thq, I knew they was not doing good but to drop devils third like this is just sad. Shitty week for games i actually care about.

Feindflug

Itagaki and Microsoft are pals so Im sure Devil's Third will find a publisher in them.

I doubt something like that will happen, if MS wanted the game it would've been a 360 exclusive by now and not a multiplatform game by THQ.

Either way this is some really sad news, hopefully a publisher will save the game. :(

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I really wish THQ was in a better position. Bilson seemed like a CEO that actually cared about the game, and wanted to make THQ a company where the creative people could flex their muscles and do what they wanted, and THQ would support them and not control them or force them in a certain direction.

THQ is one of the "good" publishers imho, they went Steamworks, they made good PC ports and they have nice variety of game genres and they make new IPs more than others.

But some of their business decisions were really stupid ( uDraw HD, abandoning some of their good IPs like Splashdown, making Red Faction: Armageddon instead of a true sequel to Red Faction: Guerrilla that actually sold well..ect)

Robot Pants

Eusis

Game must be pretty awful if THQ is wiping their hands clean of it.
At this point it's more likely a game they recognize they either can't keep funding, or can't sell well. A lot of great, higher budget games tanked this generation as far as I could tell (just look at Platinum), so it may not matter whether or not it's great.

Very sad news, but not surprising. Even though this game is taking forever, I thought it showed a lot of promise and I wanted to see what Itagaki had in store for us. Maybe they will change it to a next generation title or something. It's release date could be close to the next generation console releases which could be really bad for the new IP. Unfortunately, I don't think the game would of sold good anyway not matter how great it is for the obvious reasons that I will not go into full detail with. I don't think Microsoft would even consider buying this since IMO, it isn't the type of game that would really appeal to their contingent.

Nintendo should go get this game and push it.

A unique and exclusive HD action game from a noteworthy producer of games like this would be a big deal, especially at or near launch.

If it were a 2012 game, it probably would have made it out. Probably.

But taking so long with basically no expectations of quality beyond the name attached means it was throwing money down a pit to keep funding the title.

kuroshiki

No surprise. After 3 years of development not a single gameplay demo or alpha stage has been released.

Basically means they were just playing cards, drink with ladies, etc.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Not surprised, this game had middling scores, cult following, and bomba sales written all over it.

Still.. I wanted to play it.

KageMaru

I really wish THQ was in a better position. Bilson seemed like a CEO that actually cared about the game, and wanted to make THQ a company where the creative people could flex their muscles and do what they wanted, and THQ would support them and not control them or force them in a certain direction.

Yup, I feel the same. Wasn't much of a fan of THQ last gen but they really won me over this gen and it's sad to see them in their current situation.

Game must be pretty awful if THQ is wiping their hands clean of it.

More likely they realize they can't support the original agreement so they are trying to find a home for it.

McLovin

But erm, that's not the problem here. The game is still being developed, it's still being funded. The game isn't being cancelled. What is happening is that THQ wants to sell their rights for the game off to another publisher because they presumably either cannot afford to or do not want to market and distribute the game any longer. Valhalla is not a publisher, so there is no reason they would use Kickstarter to raise 20 million dollars to market and distribute the game worldwide. THQ also owns the rights, not Valhalla, so I'm not sure what is being Kickstarted here...
Ahh.. I feel like a dumb ass. Hopefully someone picks it up then.
Edit - omg imagine if techmo did it :eek:

PooBone

Ya know, I was buying more THQ games than I otherwise would have, (paid money for Saints Row 3, which wasn't my cup of tea, and that shitty Red Faction game they put out) for the sole purpose of supporting them and their awesome lineup of new IPs they were publishing. InSANE, Devil's Third, and Darksiders being the big three. But now, fuck it.

radcliff

Itagaki has said he is a big fan of Nintendo games, particularly Pikmin and Batillion Wars. Maybe Valhalla can team up with Nintendo to make the next Batillion Wars game.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
The only chance of this happening is either a smaller publisher or picks it up, or a completely off the wall, batshit 7 year old kid sort of thing happens. Where Warner Bros, Zenimax, or another smaller publisher sees interest in having a quirky Japanese game that will be done in a short time frame.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
The only chance of this happening is either a smaller publisher or picks it up, or a completely off the wall, batshit 7 year old kid sort of thing happens. Where Warner Bros, Zenimax, or another smaller publisher sees interest in having a quirky Japanese game that will be done in a short time frame.
Surely it would be a better investment for Warner Bros. than Lollipop Chainsaw.

AAK

if lollipop chainsaw makes it out and this game doesn't fuck this earth

Do you think Valhalla would have settled for a budget like Lollipop Chainsaw's? Plus, it is partially Itagaki's fault that they didn't showcase the game at E3 or any other trades show to prove THQ that there is interest in the game and there is room for another 3rd person shooter in the market.

Tain

Oh, there would be a lot of reasons and Itagaki's standards would certainly play a big part.

that wouldn't make me any happier though

At this point, I would be happy just to see it in action. I think it would have been an amazing game and if it is how itakagi described it, it would of be the first game that married the best of hack and slash games and shooters. it could of been a genre defining game.

Top Bottom