• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ's stock drops 50% after earnings implosion, [Tanks 22%+ again, worth $7.95M]

They're going to go insolvent very soon unless some of that company worth is in cash reserve. Dunno what their balance sheet looks like though.

I don't think you understand how stocks work. The stock price is dropping because they are insolvent, not the other way around. The stock price has no effect on the companies' cash reserves.

TheNatural

My Member!
I don't think you understand how stocks work. The stock price is dropping because they are insolvent, not the other way around. The stock price has no effect on the companies' cash reserves.

I was speaking more to their earnings and what they have this quarter in general, not stock price = losing money directly. They can't issue more stock to raise funds, they can't get loans because the company is falling apart with the stock dropping, things like that effect cash reserves directly.

I don't know how WWE 13 is doing, but they essentially have to bank on huge numbers there, and in their back catalog this holiday, to bring in cash.

angelfly

It sucks that Volition is going to go down with the ship. I can see EA swooping them up to get their hands on the Saints Row IP.

Glass Rebel

Can someone break it down for us non-economists what a drop below $1/share would mean for THQ? Delisting from NASDAQ and therefore making it incredibly hard to get the necessary cash?

ferr

Kickstarter: Hostile overtake of THQI

Can someone break it down for us non-economists what a drop below $1/share would mean for THQ? Delisting from NASDAQ and therefore making it incredibly hard to get the necessary cash?

They lose opportunities such as bonds (basically a loan) and second offerings (offering new shares for current stock value.. higher value means they get more money for the new shares offered).

Glass Rebel

Kickstarter: Hostile overtake of THQI

They lose opportunities such as bonds (basically a loan) and second offerings (offering new shares for current stock value.. higher value means they get more money for the new shares offered).

So they'd be pretty much fucked unless someone steps in and offers them cash through other channels? Wow. #121212

I would like to see the WWE award Take Two, or specifically 2K Sports, their license to be developed by Visual Concepts. Would company dissolvement effectively nullify the WWE's contractual obligation with THQ as it relates to their licensing agreement, or would the WWE be obligated to honor their original license agreement with the new proprietor of the pertinent THQ assets?

If they fall under $1 again they'll be delisted after a certain amount of time, correct?

Exactly what happened to the first company I worked for. Massive lay off then they went bankrupt lol :p

I remember checking the stock price every morning before they finally went under

Derrick01

Banned
Someone save Volition already.

For that price I think Zenimax may do it.

I think their high amount of debt is going to deter a full or major purchase. People will be interested in individual IPs and that will be it. I don't think anyone wants to pay the $100 million THQ owes.

Galang

Banned
From 10M to 7.27M in a day is crazy. I doubt Nintendo would purchase, but I do agree it would round them out a bit as they have IPs under genres Nintendo typically doesn't develop. Don't see it benefiting the other two as much.

I think their high amount of debt is going to deter a full or major purchase. People will be interested in individual IPs and that will be it. I don't think anyone wants to pay the $100 million THQ owes.

Yup chances potential buyers are just waiting for the company to truly die and then go in and scoop up the scraps.

Corto

They should just sell off their studios/IP and call it a day. Otherwise good people will lose their jobs.

If I was a THQ or any of their studios employee I would be very actively trying to find another job at another company right this instant. Ghst post is depressingly accurate. Even if Company of Heroes 2 is released this "delay for additional polish" will do nothing as the team will be demotivated and perhaps even depleted in talent. The post release support I would think will include only DLC that is being worked out now or nothing at all. Depressing.

From 10M to 7.27M in a day is crazy. I doubt Nintendo would purchase, but I do agree it would round them out a bit as they have IPs under genres Nintendo typically doesn't develop. Don't see it benefiting the other two as much.

Any of the big 3 would be smart to pick up THQ because it would round out their first party offering. Especially MS.

IP fire sale incoming.

tumblr_lce215m7K01qa5ui1o1_500.gif

Any of the big 3 would be smart to pick up THQ because it would round out their first party offering. Especially MS.

MS doesn't need a bigger western presence though. Nintendo would probably benefit the most, but half of the things THQ makes like Relics games and WWE wouldn't be valuable to them. They would only want Saints Row and Darksiders (mainly Saints Row)

Zarx

Obsidian must be grateful that even if THQ collapses and Stick of Truth is canned, they have a backup plan and cash in the bank to fund said plan.

If Stick of Truth is canned would most likely mean 75%+ of Obsidian's staff being let go, if not the entire company going down. Luckily the rights holders really want the game made and should have no trouble finding a new publisher for the game even if THQ went down.

A game in pre production being canned already led to them cutting 30+ people because they couldn't line up a new project in time, and they are likely counting on the bonuses from Stick of Truth to get them through until they get another AAA project into full production, on top of the fact funding from THQ is currently paying most of the bills at the moment.

Top Bottom