• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ's stock drops 50% after earnings implosion, [Tanks 22%+ again, worth $7.95M]

Serra

Please someone give Relic some love!

I like all their games (have not played outfit or impossible creatures) although I felt space marine was kinda dumb.

Sethos

Banned
i0kxtsSx3rIAT.png

ctrayne

Well, I mean, any project that is basically finished will make it to market by one publisher or another.

It's things after these next three games that are at danger (along with the existence of the studios).

Which is distressing too, of course. I would hate to see these titles that are so close to release not make it, though.

TheNatural

My Member!
I wonder if they're counting on big WWE 13 sales to bring them enough cash to keep them alive long enough to get the South Park and next Saints Row game out.

They made a SR3 'complete' pack this holiday too, but it's at full MSRP just adding the DLC to it.

I dunno if they can hang on.

Perkel

Banned
FUCK NOOOOOOooooooo....

There goes Obsidian South Park game.

Looks like Project Eternity was their liveordie project.

Castcoder

Banned
Buy Crash for 2 million from Activison, have Jason Rubin work on it and you've revived THQ, Crash Bandicoot, and Jason Rubin's career as a developer.

if they have 100 million dollars in debt then I think they are a reasonable purchase. Think of it as a 111 million dollar investment. I think their IP's and licences alone are worth that much. Anyone know how much longer they have the Warhammer licence for?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
C'mon, Square Enix. Buy THQ! I know you can and will!

SE just lost a bunch of money. Why would they buy THQ? At most, they would buy the games that are mostly done and put those out, but they wouldn't buy Relic or anything like that, and Obisidan's independent.

I guarantee that Viacom will find a new home for South Park. Someone will buy Saint's Row. Metro is probably fucked though.

Nilaul

Nintendo isn't dumb enough to blow their money on something that will lose them money. They should think about some IP and studio acquisitions (Darksiders?)

Oh and I said THQ wouldn't make it through the end of next year, well now I'm not sure they will make it through the middle of next year.

Ye pretty much the only thing worth buying from THQ is darksiders and its studio and Metro Guys. Perhaps Saint Row guys also, just to be able to fill that "mature" gap.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Ye pretty much the only thing worth buying from THQ is darksiders and its studio and Metro Guys.

After Darksiders 2, I wouldn't say that studio's worth buying, and good luck finding a publisher who says 'Yeah! We need another FPS developer!'

LQX

I'm surprised no one has jumped in to buy them. They have some amazing games like Saints Row which could be huge.

Derrick01

Banned
FUCK NOOOOOOooooooo....

There goes Obsidian South Park game.

Looks like Project Eternity was their liveordie project.

Someone will buy South Park, it's easily one of THQ's only attractive properties along with Saints Row.

The only thing I'm worried about is who buys it. Obsidian has a long history of being abused by big publishers so if it's someone like EA I'm sure that tradition will continue.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Someone will buy South Park, it's easily one of THQ's only attractive properties along with Saints Row.

The only thing I'm worried about is who buys it. Obsidian has a long history of being abused by big publishers so if it's someone like EA I'm sure that tradition will continue.
That game's been in development for so long, if it's not done by the time they find a new publisher and set a proper release date, it's their own damn fault.

disco

Haven't THQ always had a shitty fiscal record? Or were they strong with their shovelware kids games? Or am I just getting them confused with Acclaim?

carlos

if they have 100 million dollars in debt then I think they are a reasonable purchase. Think of it as a 111 million dollar investment. I think their IP's and licences alone are worth that much. Anyone know how much longer they have the Warhammer licence for?

Indeed, 111 Million (a bit more, lets say 130-150 to please shareholders) is still a good bargain for whoever wants to own them; they might get all of that investment back on just Saints row 4 sales alone.

I'm surprised a merger/sale hasn't happened yet, especially since thq is getting closer to breaking even, so it wouldn't be a buyout of something that is having massive losses; I guess the vultures just want to pick at the IP on the cheap.

That's why THQ is getting consulting from that new company, probably to try to find a buyer or a fund that will buy into Rubin's proposed future; let's see how long it takes....

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.

They signed a multi-year extension of the licensing agreement in 2011, but the press release doesn't specify an end date to the agreement. It appears that the agreement that was extended was originally intended to run through 2013, so presumably their current arrangement has them in possession of the Warhammer 40,000 license through at least 2015.

Nilaul

After Darksiders 2, I wouldn't say that studio's worth buying, and good luck finding a publisher who says 'Yeah! We need another FPS developer!'

Darksiders 2, is a good game (better then Darksiders 1) hampered by marketing and bugs. However put that in the hands of Nintendo, and we should get a bug free game and proper marketing push.

Metro is not just another FPS, its a unique, great game based on a well written book.

Also it would mean Nintendo would have a studio In Ukraine, were its basically a cheap country to produce big budget games.

Vigil games is in Austin, so I guess they could move in with Retro studios under the same roof and learn a lot from them. Vigil has the potential to easily reach Nintendo Quality/Retro quality with proper Guidance.

Vamphuntr

Yeah, the vultures are probably ready to buy pieces of the company right now. The only worthwhile team and IP to buy are Volition and Saints Row imo. EA or SE could take a GTA variant in their lineup and it seems this IP was profitable and that the dev team behind the games was pretty good.

nintendo should buy vigil and put them to work

Darksiders 2, is a good game (better then Darksiders 1) hampered by marketing and bugs. However put that in the hands of Nintendo, and we should get a bug free game and proper marketing push.

Metro is not just another FPS, its a unique, great game based on a well written book.

Also it would mean Nintendo would have a studio In Ukraine, were its basically a cheap country to produce big budget games.

Vigil games is in Austin, so I guess they could move in with Retro studios under the roof and learn a lot from them. Vigil has the potential to easily reach Nintendo Quality/Retro quality with proper Guidance.

i agree. theyre talented but they also have a lot to learn

Acrylic7

I'm sure Nintendo would love South Park, Darksiders, WWE and Saint Row IP.

especially when they have an ass load of cash. Nintendo wouldn't feel a dent in their pockets.

They can easily flip these games to turn a profit.
Free IP's

vocab

I remember there was this guy on gaf that said a couple of months ago that THQ had no where to go but up, and it was the perfect time to buy shares. With the delayed news, and now this, YOU ARE FUCKING INSANE.

Derrick01

Banned
especially when they have an ass load of cash. Nintendo wouldn't feel a dent in their pockets.

They can easily flip these games to turn a profit.
Free IP's

The rage I would have if Nintendo bought south park would be enough to collapse the internet. I want it on PC, not for a system I don't have or want.

RIP THQ. I'm really curious to see what will happen with their IP. I'd like to see Nintendo go for Vigil. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft went for some IP too.

They signed a multi-year extension of the licensing agreement in 2011, but the press release doesn't specify an end date to the agreement. It appears that the agreement that was extended was originally intended to run through 2013, so presumably their current arrangement has them in possession of the Warhammer 40,000 license through at least 2015.

So yeah I guess the only question I would have based on that assumption is why the fuck aren't they delivering warhammer games of one sort or another every year? Their usage of the IP has been pretty sparse given the bundle I imagine they must have had to spend on it.

Regardless I think they are now a smart bet for a purchase, even if a company didn't want to make use of all their IP I'd imagine the IP rights of each franchise are at least 20-30 million. Sell a couple you don't want and suddenly the purchase becomes that much more viable. Anyways even if you were just going to pump out the games they currently have on the cooker and then lay off everyone and scrap the whole thing and sell all the IP you're probably looking at around a 100-200% profit over 3-5 years (depending on sales estimate of course). The whole is now definitely worth less then the sum of it's parts.

Top Bottom