• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ's stock drops 50% after earnings implosion, [Tanks 22%+ again, worth $7.95M]

inNS5nRDACrTg.jpg

RIP THQ.

THQ probably buys more licencing than any other gaming company, which adds up in cost. Maybe they should just focus on their original IP's from here on out.

Glass Rebel

I really hope someone steps in and keeps at least Relic alive. Blizzard and Creative Assembly being the only big strategy companies would suck.

It was around this time last year when we had a similar thread for THQ (maybe it was early 2012?), they were worth 50mill at the time iirc and the general consensus was that it wasn't really worth it for anyone to buy THQ as a whole at that price.

11million though thats crazy low surely theres somone out there looking hard at them.

Zarx

THQ could've easily kept making mid tier games and be profitable.

But after trying to bring Udraw to the HD consoles (lol, what were they thinking??) they tried to charge head first into AAAAA blockbuster 6 million sales required to break even territory.

Their games aren't bad, but they simply don't have the funds to compete with Activision, EA, Ubi by using their strategies.

I was allready pissed that Metro LL was cancelled for WiiU, now I'm actually afraid the game might never be released.

A true AAA game today seems to need 3-4m to break even, so games like Darksiders 2 with a 2 million break even is an upper mid tier game in today's market.

Which is why Rubin delayed the games that he did, because mid tier (even tho 5 years ago they would be AAA) doesn't sell enough in today's market without a major IP attached. Or something special that grabs the public's attention, but that is luck of the draw.

Moving into low tier development isn't a sure fire road to success for a publicly traded company ether, and licensing was killing all their profits before.

Also Samsung is looking to get into games aren't they? Maybe they will snap em up lol.

Smash88

Banned
THQ please please, just make sure the gamers get South Park, Metro LL, and Company of Heroes 2 (especially Company of Heroes 2).

Then sell off the IPs to good locations. EA and Activision are not good locations.

Hari Seldon

While successful, Paradox is a niche developer/publisher and the games they fund development for normally are just a fraction of the cost of what Relic budgets normally are. I greatly enjoy Paradox games but I would find it hard to believe they have the money to even fund traditional Relic games nevermind the cost of acquiring a successful studio.

Yeah you are probably right. Does THQ fully own Relic or is Relic its own entity and can simply find another publisher? I mean does a PC developer these days even need a publisher? Even Blizzard fans aren't buying boxes anymore.

THQ probably buys more licencing than any other gaming company, which adds up in cost. Maybe they should just focus on their original IP's from here on out.

It's cute how you think hey have the money to do that... They don't even have the money to finish the games that they are already working on (they are desperately trying to scrounge up a little bit of cash)

This is one of those very rare threads on Gaf that proclaim doom that is probably spot on.

brumx

They could have easy released HCTP or SYM on Xbox Live and made a ton of money. But the licenses issues with wrestling games might not even be worth the trouble since there more a pain than NFL and NBA games.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah you are probably right. Does THQ fully own Relic or is Relic its own entity and can simply find another publisher? I mean does a PC developer these days even need a publisher? Even Blizzard fans aren't buying boxes anymore.

Relic is a fully owned subsidiary of THQ.

Lime

How much does the Homeworld IP cost? Can I buy it for my lunch money and then just put the damn things on Steam/GoG?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
So, what happened with THQ montreal?

edit, well they might as well be dead then, 11 mil holy shit

carlos

So, what happened with THQ montreal?

edit, well they might as well be dead then, 11 mil holy shit

They're still hiring, actually

remember the 100 million debt payable in 2014; that actually makes their value 111 million right now (still undervalued)

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I'm not going to lie and say the gaming community isn't watching this with great anticipation.

Who will own these intellectual properties by the end of the year?

AHA-Lambda

Uh, why on earth does everyone keep saying Nintendo should buy Darksiders?? O__o

They've already got zelda, and Darksiders has never made money; the second game was a total gamble (as far as I am aware the first game didn't break even!). The only IP THQ own that is worth anything to a major publisher is Saints Row and possibly Company of Heroes aswell.

I could see WB Games or maybe even SE coming in to pick up some IP but apart from that... =/

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They're still hiring, actually

remember the 100 million debt payable in 2014; that actually makes their value 111 million right now (still undervalued)

Unless I'm not understanding something here, that's a debt they have to pay, not a debt they will receive.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Uh, why on earth does everyone keep saying Nintendo should buy Darksiders?? O__o

Because for some reason Nintendo should throw money at shit they don't need whenever said shit happens to be a company/IP in distress.

carlos

Unless I'm not understanding something here, that's a debt they have to pay, not a debt they will receive.

Obviously, it's just that I didn't word it correctly

111 would be their worth (not value), as in whoever would buy them out/merge with them would have to be ready to assume/pay (assuming no shareholder premium, which would be ridiculous)

If there were a buyout, a realistic price would be 130 million-170, on the cheap side, not 11 million like we would like to believe so that Gaf could chip in.

And I'm not really taking into account the value of THQ's NOL (net operating loss) which is nearly a billion, and that would have a value of 300 million or so in tax savings to whoever buys them.

I don't want to sound positive, but the next weeks/months could be very interesting

Saty

Don't understand how THQ wasn't able to establish a F2P title to secure constant revenue (they tried with COH online).
They should have retooled themselves to PC-centric pub. They aren't in the position to endure console multiplatform AAA market. How much money could someone save by cutting one SKU?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Obviously, it's just that I didn't word it correctly

111 would be their worth (not value), as in whoever would buy them out/merge with them would have to be ready to assume/pay (assuming no shareholder premium, which would be ridiculous)

If there were a buyout, a realistic price would be 130 million-170, on the cheap side, not 11 million like we would like to believe so that Gaf could chip in.

And I'm not really taking into account the value of THQ's NOL (net operating loss) which is nearly a billion, and that would have a value of 300 million or so in tax savings to whoever buys them.

I don't want to sound positive, but the next weeks/months could be very interesting

Maybe meant for buyer, If you want THQ, you have to get 111m prepare for that.

Oh I see what you meant.

Yeah, that's totally true, and why it makes way more sense to wait for them to die and pick up the assets.

Square-Enix or Nintendo please buy some of those developers/IPs please.

Square has been pretty godly lately with working with developers they recently purchased to revive dead games and franchises. Nintendo is equally as godly, even if they haven't done it very often lately.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So just because Nintendo saved Bayonetta 2, they are gaming's new charity for IP in distress? -_-

In the eyes of some silly folk, yes, though the nonsense of "Nintendo should buy *developer/IP*!" has gone on for quite awhile.

Top Bottom