• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ's stock drops 50% after earnings implosion, [Tanks 22%+ again, worth $7.95M]

Djamb3

WWE games exclusive to wii u and 3ds would be amazing, just for the tears.

In fact they always had the best wrestling games (no merci, day of reckoning).

Strike

If it be one major publishing house, let it be Bethesda.
images.jpg

PaulLFC

WWE games exclusive to wii u and 3ds would be amazing, just for the tears.

In fact they always had the best wrestling games (no merci, day of reckoning).
You do realise THQ or whoever buys them don't have lifetime rights to WWE, right? If Nintendo bought them and WWE feel they'll sell more by going back to multiplatform, they'll just go to another publisher when the contract is up for renewal.

carlos

You do realise THQ or whoever buys them don't have lifetime rights to WWE, right? If Nintendo bought them and WWE feel they'll sell more by going back to multiplatform, they'll just go to another publisher when the contract is up for renewal.

Until 2017 is a plenty long time

Actually, I don't know if there's an out clause for the WWE if THQ gets bought out

brumx

Vince would never allow anybody to get the license I'm sure there is an out clause. THQ almost had it taken away for not putting 07 on PS3

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
THQ owns:
  • Darksiders
  • Saint's Row
  • Red Faction
  • Metro
  • Warhammer

Those seem to be some good IPs that could be purchased on the cheap by Sony, MS, Nintendo, Acti, EA, Ubi, etc. If I were in a position of charge in one of the above companies, I would look into that.

Shit totoally forgot about WarHammer.

How I would split these Studios and IPs
(forgive any fanboyism)

Volition - Activision or Solo Under EA Partners
Relic - Any publisher big enough to secure the Games Workshop IP and wont intrude on Relics work.
Vigil - Wherever Relic goes Vigil should follow.
Metro 2033 - Microsoft, Im not even joking.
HomeFront - EA let EA publish this, they already have a decent rapport with CryTek no?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
When you consider the IPs and brands they have, its pretty surprising. The only super flop I'm aware of was the Udraw and that was the PS3/360 versions, the Wii version supposedly did pretty well.

Saints Row, Warhammer, Metro 2033, WWE, Darksiders, those are solid IPs. Red Faction was solid until the last game.

When you consider the IPs and brands they have, its pretty surprising. The only super flop I'm aware of was the Udraw and that was the PS3/360 versions, the Wii version supposedly did pretty well.

Saints Row, Warhammer, Metro 2033, WWE, Darksiders, those are solid IPs. Red Faction was solid until the last game.

UDraw is what killed them.

Almighty

Poor Volition and Relic they made some good game. Relic especially they are one of the top RTS developers and it sucks they are tied to this sinking ship. Hopefully one way or the other when THQ finally implodes the core talent of those two studios will stay together.

Also poor Obsidian they seem to have no luck. Hopefully Project Eternity will be a nice start on their path to independence.

How? I keep hearing about this but wasn't udraw successful?

On the Wii, it was, then they tried to recreate that success on the HD consoles and it bombed, badly. So bad that there are likely uDraw tablets buried in a hole in the desert somewhere near some ET cartridges.

sflufan

Banned
The most likely scenario is that Crestview Partners LLC -- the private equity/restructuring firm that's advising THQ -- will make a bid to purchase the outstanding stock (once it gets sufficiently low enough in price) and the $100 million in long-term debt and take the company private.

They will hold on to it for at least one fiscal year to recoup as much of their investment as possible before deciding to either sell it whole or piecemeal or pull the plug entirely.

Weenerz

Banned
Nintendo isn't dumb enough to blow their money on something that will lose them money. They should think about some IP and studio acquisitions (Darksiders?)

Oh and I said THQ wouldn't make it through the end of next year, well now I'm not sure they will make it through the middle of next year.

They already have a Darksiders game (Zelda)

Zarx

Man, 2 million to break even for a South Park game seems ...wrong. Are they using a lot of expensive cameo voice actors or what?

Licensing and royalties, apparently the creators of the show were the ones who pitched the game and worked with Obsidian before THQ became involved. The margins for THQ probably aren't great, so 2m units for them to break even makes sense.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Please don't kill SR4.
Please don't kill SR4.
Please don't kill SR4.
Please don't kill SR4.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
They are worth less than the sum of their parts. Amazing.

Also WWE and other licensed properties would almost certainly not be part of any sale.

Ranger X

How does this happens exactly? THQ just gave third quarters financial results to their shareholders? They announced something I am not aware of? Last Jason press annoucements had some bomb effects because they aren't happy with Darksiders 2?

I mean, how is value suddendly bombin like that?

iammeiam

How does this happens exactly? THQ just gave third quarters financial results to their shareholders? They announced something I am not aware of? Last Jason press annoucements had some bomb effects because they aren't happy with Darkstalkers 3?

I mean, how is value suddendly bombin like that?

Earnings call was underwhelming (Darksiders 2 underperformed, for example), they've delayed their three big upcoming titles outside of the fiscal year, and couldn't even provide investors projections for earnings for the rest of the year. They've brought on an advisory company to basically help them figure out how to solve cash flow problems caused by having pretty much no money and no games in the next few months, and they cancelled the Q&A part of their earnings call at the last minute.

They basically sounded the alarms and flew a flag saying "WE ARE FUCKED" and investors are bailing.

Ranger X

Earnings call was underwhelming (Darksiders 2 underperformed, for example), they've delayed their three big upcoming titles outside of the fiscal year, and couldn't even provide investors projections for earnings for the rest of the year. They've brought on an advisory company to basically help them figure out how to solve cash flow problems caused by having pretty much no money and no games in the next few months, and they cancelled the Q&A part of their earnings call at the last minute.

They basically sounded the alarms and flew a flag saying "WE ARE FUCKED" and investors are bailing.

Hot damn. I see.
I guess this means goodbye THQ. Doubt they will get out of that one, even with Jason at the bar.

carlos

Funny (or not funny) thing is that they cancelled their previous third quarter guidance even though the 3 titles that were delayed were not going to launch and affect that quarter. So a big WTF at that; their excuse was that the advisory company told them to do that.

It seems as if someone is trying to get the company on the cheap by screwing over current investors.

Darksiders 2, btw, shipped more than they had forecast, so their dissapointment has to be on actual sell through. I think they made a mistake by announcing DS 2 for WiiU so early, since it probably made quite a few people want to wait and get the definitive edition.

Top Bottom