• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THUMPER |OT| THE BEETLE'S ROCK BAND - HIGHWAY TO HELL!

EVO

30C0DA83350C8E3C3AD2F32B37725FC4A9E4CB65

Kill me.

MrPanic

Level 5 is an absurd spike in difficulty.

Yup. Just plowed my way through it. It wasn't too hard when I finally got into it, but overall it was just a unenjoyable experience. I left levels 1-4 with a lot of joy and hype, level 5 just gave me a headache. Thankfully the final boss seemed disproportionately easy compared to the rest of the level, I just wanted that experience over with. Hopefully the next levels introduce actually interesting mechanics instead of that garbage death ring.

Stoze

Oh god dude that sucks. Was it the last note on 9-27? I was so nervous about missing that note when going for an S-rank, that I watched someone play through it like 5 times on youtube to try and get the timing down before doing it again.

That's a good score though!

FyreWulff

yeah, the death ring feels more cheap than challenging. I get where they want you to start actually hitting all the light notes but it's especially cruel if it doesn't show up until near the end of a level.

Loving this game. Runs at a constant 165fps at 1440p, the extra smoothness is appreciated in a game so fast and brutal. Anyone else find themselves in an almost zen like state when you're hitting all the notes?

EVO

Oh god dude that sucks. Was it the last note on 9-27? I was so nervous about missing that note when going for an S-rank, that I watched someone play through it like 5 times on youtube to try and get the timing down before doing it again.

That's a good score though!

Thanks, I just S-ranked it then. Haven't felt this satisfied beating a game since Meat Boy.

I actually missed that last note on 9-27 on both attempts, but I must've hit enough perfect turns to make up for it. Oddly enough I got a lower score on my S-rank run, even though it felt like I did better, but I'll take it.

Dave_6

I'm really good at C ranking most levels :p This game though, feels incredible to S rank a level. That's for sure.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Loving this game. Runs at a constant 165fps at 1440p, the extra smoothness is appreciated in a game so fast and brutal. Anyone else find themselves in an almost zen like state when you're hitting all the notes?

absolutely! it's the kind of game that makes me a bit high

Stoze

Thanks, I just S-ranked it then. Haven't felt this satisfied beating a game since Meat Boy.

I actually missed that last note on 9-27 on both attempts, but I must've hit enough perfect turns to make up for it. Oddly enough I got a lower score on my S-rank run, even though it felt like I did better, but I'll take it.

Welcome to the .04%!

Yeah you get so much more points for not restarting from checkpoint, not just from the extra no miss/no damage bonuses but from the fact you start off the next level with a 3x multiplier and the ability to make health notes.

Wozman23

YES! I JUST SCRATCHED AND CLAWED MY WAY THROUGH THE GAME AND BEAT LEVEL 9! I AM AMAZING! I AM A GOD! C RANK, BABY! WAIT!... YOU GUYS ARE S RANKING THAT SHIT!... WHAT THE FUCK!

Love this game too. Playing on PSVR and in VR it is especially trippy, in a very good way! Non-existent lag helps too - the first time I got a bit stuck was figuring out those lock things in Level 3. I've just finished Level 3 now (or still doing its end boss I think). That 3-12 boss looking amazing in VR.

How do you guys do this ground pound consistently? It's really frustrating me as it just seems like it's hit/miss timing and not me really messing up.

You have to land on the note with down+X simultaneously right?

Are you guys using analog stick or d-pad?

You people with the S ranks on higher levels are evil, are big meanies, and I'm 100% certain you must be hacking the game in some way. Also you probably smell. My reflexes are way too old for this stuff, but yeah I know I could technically memorize the entire run if I spent long enough with it.

My only complains are 1) adjust timing. Input feels a little lagged on PSVR, noticed most on the segment-ending notes, and 2) would have liked more segments that worked into a great rhythmic trance in the later levels to enjoy it a little more versus panic, but this is a seriously minor and personal gripe. For a semi-reasonable comparison, the fun high difficulty DDR tracks often had repeated gimmick steps that felt rewarding to nail again and again.

This is an absolutely fantastic game, is perfect for PSVR, even just the demo shows the game off well, and is an entirely reasonable price vs some other things that try to charge $20-30 for experiences not as deep or immersive.

KooopaKid

Banned
After the honeymoon phase, time for some criticism:
- The music is largely repetitive and similar sounding between levels. This is no Rez is that regard.
- Your input, even when perfect, often doesn't match the music or the beat. There's often a disconnect here.
- Trial & Error gameplay.
- From Boss 6 onwards, it gets a bit too hard.
- The gameplay is repetitive and too intense. I can only play one level per play session.
The game is still unique though.

jett

D-Member
How to do long ring chain without note to launch yourself? Like 5 ring, pause, another 5 ring.

If you perfect turn (turning at the last possible moment) you'll extend your flight. You'll hear a ding when done correctly.

If you hit a second note while airborne (you have to re-press UP while hitting the note), you'll also extend your flight. You can try this out in 6-1.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member

finshed! GOOOOOOOD game.. now to improve some scores and s-rank at least two more levels (have s-rank on 1 and 2)

Has anyone figured out how to S-Rank Level 5-6?

No matter what I do, I can't seem to nab the rings after that turn since turning drops you back onto the track. The best I've been able to do is a B, which sucks because I've been S-Ranking everything up till now.

Has anyone figured out how to S-Rank Level 5-6?

No matter what I do, I can't seem to nab the rings after that turn since turning drops you back onto the track. The best I've been able to do is a B, which sucks because I've been S-Ranking everything up till now.

You will need to do perfect turns to stay in the air, so don't hit the direction too early.

After the honeymoon phase, time for some criticism:
- The music is largely repetitive and similar sounding between levels. This is no Rez is that regard.
- Your input, even when perfect, often doesn't match the music or the beat. There's often a disconnect here.
- Trial & Error gameplay.
- From Boss 6 onwards, it gets a bit too hard.
- The gameplay is repetitive and too intense. I can only play one level per play session.
The game is still unique though.

Yeah, "the honeymoon is over" is exactly what this sounds like.

I'm taking this off my wishlist. There's only so much sensory overload I can take for so long, and not if I need to restart a lot.

Alkuk

Neo Member
As good as this game is, I'd like to have more/longer and maybe simpler "groove-sections", where you race your way through the song with much less deaths. And for the hardcore add some extra notes that do not kill you instantly, but increase the score of very good players.
It's such a great feel when you are in the groove for a while and get in the zone!

Maybe the really good players can do this from 1-9, but not me. Although playing drums for decades, this seems not to help till now ;-)
I tend to get problems at level 4 onwards when it comes to play a level with only a few retries.

Why not making it a chunk easier to just complete a level, and give a low score? So you stay motivated to increase it, instead of being frustrated, because the game tells you a hundred tims a level that you suck. I think it is intended to be a hard game and maybe it would be too short?!

I also agree with said statement, that the music is a bit too repetitive, while the beats are not.
And pleas devs, take a look at some zone mode levels from the wipeout series and copy their color design ;-)
For me there could be more variety.

Some more suggestions for the future. And I hope this Team has some:
Retry instantly button.
Show score, when pausing.
Show all hits and misses, kills and perfects for a level or section.
Option to practice every section after having finished a level.
Maybe an option for practice with 50% speed.
Let me check out a section with perfect play from KI so I now what groove and hits you meant ... in that 7/8 section etc.
Maybe an option for mixing the audio cues, the bass and treble a bit to your liking.

Drool, thank you for creating this fresh and nice game.

bye
Alkuk

I fucking did it! S ranked the game. Probably one of the only games I've really ever been determined to 100%. I'm going to take a break from this game for a few days before trying to perfect the earlier levels some more, but I'm pleased to be sitting at 6th globally for the time being :)

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Congrats!! Well done!

For my part, well, I got placed 90 in level 2! It's a start :p

image.jpg

Kazaam

Trying to S-rank the 5th level while drunk was one of the most surreal moments I've experienced lately. I love this game...

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Is it just me or does playing this in VR vs on a regular tv feel like turning the difficulty down to medium from hard?

Is it just me or does playing this in VR vs on a regular tv feel like turning the difficulty down to medium from hard?

I felt this way, though I only played the first three levels in VR. It certainly felt way harder once I got back home and had to plow through them again on my TV. I can't wait until I get to give it another shot now that I've opened up much harder levels.

robotrock

Banned
I'll take any tips for getting past the beginning of level 5

If it's the first level that has those bits where you gotta hit 3 beats real fast, there's not much help I can offer. just gotta mash through them, I was counting out loud to make sure I hit all three.

Also if it helps, 5-1 is literally the only part of the entire game that does those nasty 3 beats bits.

JonnyKong

I've only just started playing this today, but I'm very much enjoying it so far. I've only managed to beat the the first two stages. I'm kinda scared to continue as I fear how difficult it's going to get. This game certainly makes you feel like an almighty beast once you pass a level.

Anyone else have trouble with the turns? I finally got this game tonight and it's just not clicking with me, I keep dying on the turns. I don't have trouble with anything else, and I'm at least decent at rhythm games. I can beat most songs in Amplitude on Advanced, which actually seems a lot more demanding than Thumper so far to me.

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong at all. I'll go through a section and die on a turn, try again and swear I'm using the exact same timing and make it through. It honestly feels completely random whether I make it past turns a lot of the time. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

I also don't like how sometimes turns pop up right in front of you with little warning. I'm only partway through the second level but at times this feels more like a twitchy reflex test than a rhythm game. Maybe I came in with the wrong expectations.

Hopefully it clicks with me, I love the aesthetic and I really love games in general where you can get in the zone while keeping up a combo.

1upsuper

Anyone else have trouble with the turns? I finally got this game tonight and it's just not clicking with me, I keep dying on the turns. I don't have trouble with anything else, and I'm at least decent at rhythm games. I can beat most songs in Amplitude on Advanced, which actually seems a lot more demanding than Thumper so far to me.

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong at all. I'll go through a section and die on a turn, try again and swear I'm using the exact same timing and make it through. It honestly feels completely random whether I make it past turns a lot of the time. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

I also don't like how sometimes turns pop up right in front of you with little warning. I'm only partway through the second level but at times this feels more like a twitchy reflex test than a rhythm game. Maybe I came in with the wrong expectations.

Hopefully it clicks with me, I love the aesthetic and I really love games in general where you can get in the zone while keeping up a combo.

I had this problem as well. I feel like the game in general has a problem with matching inputs with the rhythm, and the turns tend to be the biggest offender. When audio fails, visuals should pick up the slack, but many turns aren't well telegraphed, forcing trial and error and rote memorization. Not ideal for a one-difficulty-fits-all rhythm game. Good rhythm games craft intuitive notes, and I just don't get that with Thumper.

Overall the game disappointed me, though I still love the visuals and soundtrack.

Can't say I've had an issue with turns, aside from when my brain has had enough and I start flubbing rapid-fire turns.

Your timing doesn't have to be perfect. You can lean into the turn and/or press X before you get there. Of course you'll get more points for a perfect turn if you time it precisely. But I can't say the timing feels off or arbitrary. Because of the rapid speed of the game, might not be a bad idea to make sure your TV is in game mode.

There is a twitchy element to the game, but the difficulty curve is gradual enough that you should be able to get even those rapid fire back and forth turns down naturally eventually. Lean into turns early on at first then try to get perfect turn timing down as you continue to play.

Top Bottom