• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THUMPER |OT| THE BEETLE'S ROCK BAND - HIGHWAY TO HELL!

Enordash

Yep. Just bought the soundtrack. It's up on Amazon as well. This game has been pulsing through my head nonstop over the past through days.

The later levels are extraordinary. I wish I could wipe my memory and go in fresh again. This game has easily broken into my top 10 of the year.

As a quick aside, I fought through level 7 after a few beers and that was the worst mistake, lol. I replayed the next day with far better results.

CPCunha

On PC or PS4? Try deleting it and reinstalling it, see if that helps.

PC... seems to be a common problem since it shows up on the support FAQ the developers posted. They suggested lowering the bitrate on my audio device and it worked! Still hope to get a patch for this since i'll need to reconfigure everytime i leave the game.

Alkuk

Neo Member
Ok, played Level 1 and 2, now first boss of 3 is next and it's getting quite difficult.
Like it ...

Can someone explain some scoring details?
Do you get punished for restarting at the last checkpoint or get killed?
It seems not and that would be bit of a bummer. When people get the same reward (points) who get killed quite often or restart 20 times each checkpoint as "no miss, no death super player"!?

Also I would like ta have more scoring details on screen, or at least at the end of a section or level.

jett

D-Member
PC... seems to be a common problem since it shows up on the support FAQ the developers posted. They suggested lowering the bitrate on my audio device and it worked! Still hope to get a patch for this since i'll need to reconfigure everytime i leave the game.

Okay cool that there was a fix after all for now.

Ok, played Level 1 and 2, now first boss of 3 is next and it's getting quite difficult.
Like it ...

Can someone explain some scoring details?
Do you get punished for restarting at the last checkpoint or get killed?
It seems not and that would be bit of a bummer. When people get the same reward (points) who get killed quite often or restart 20 times each checkpoint as "no miss, no death super player"!?

Also I would like ta have more scoring details on screen, or at least at the end of a section or level.

Your combo carries on from level to level, if you get hit or if you restart, you lose it. That's the punishment.

AHK_Hero

I FEEL LIKE I'VE CROSSED THE THRESHOLD WHERE THIS IS EITHER REALLY HILARIOUS OR REALLY ANNOYING! THAT'S KIND OF WHERE I LIKE TO LIVE! SOME PEOPLE INSTANTLY WENT WITH ANNOYING, SO I'M GLAD YOU ENJOY IT! I CAN'T STOP! IT'S ALMOST INVOLUNTARY AT THIS POINT!

PARTWAY THROUGH LEVEL 7, I'M PRETTY COMFORTABLE SAYING THIS WILL BE MY GAME OF THE YEAR! GRANTED MY LIST IS A BIT ODD TO COMPARE: THUMPER, UNRAVEL, SOFT BODY, DOOM - ALL PERFECT 10S!

THERE'S NOT A SINGLE COMPLAINT I COULD EVEN BEGIN TO FORM! IT LOOKS GREAT! IT PLAYS GREAT! IT TAKES A SIMPLE TWO BUTTON MECHANIC, AND ITERATES IT TO THE POINT OF INSANITY! IT'S SUCH A UNIQUE EXPERIENCE WITH A OMINOUS MOOD THAT I'VE NEVER SEEN EXECUTED ANYWHERE NEAR AS WELL IN ANY OTHER GAME! EARLIER I WAS GETTING MY ASS HANDED TO ME, AND HAD A SMILE ON MY FACE!

I'D LIKE TO THINK THAT SOMEDAY I'D BE GOOD ENOUGH TO PLATINUM IT, BUT RIGHT NOW THAT SEEMS IMPOSSIBLE!
mDmGIGZ.gif

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Damn, PSVR got delayed here until Jan or so....

Was really looking forward to playing Thumper in VR...shouldn't I just wait and so that my first playthrough is in VR?

just getting into thumper.. when you come up to a turn, you're supposed to hold × and steer AWAY from the wall, right? i just had trouble in the demo figuring out if i was doing it right or not.

and for multiple turns at once, there's no reason to let go of ×, right?

just getting into thumper.. when you come up to a turn, you're supposed to hold × and steer AWAY from the wall, right? i just had trouble in the demo figuring out if i was doing it right or not.

Yes, if the wall turns right then you hold right.

And yeah, no reason to let go of X unless there's a blue pad between the walls of course.

jett

D-Member

You're supposed to steer in the direction of the turn, like a car. And yes, you can just keep the button pressed down.

If you press right/left at the last possible moment you can get extra points btw. You'll hear a ding.

I had NO desire to every play this based on just seeing pictures and the initial descriptions...

Then i tried the demo... Holy fuck this is one of the top VR experiences available right now! A must buy!

As soon as i figure out how to get my PSVR to stop drifting left and pulsating back and forth i'm buying this.

Actual question: do you experience eye strain after playing this game for a while? Not even VR, just on a screen.

I'm particularly interested in your answer if you're replaying for S ranks and focusing intensely.

XaosWolf

I've been enjoying the game for the most part but the audio cues that were so evident in the early levels just get drowned out by a whining noise or constant drumming in the later stages.

That makes me resort to playing using just the visuals for faster parts or when I'm in a tunnel and makes the rhythm portion of the game useless.

The problem is exacerbated by having every turn being red. When most of the backgrounds are red.

Hell, even when you can see one coming up, if you can't hear the cues, then you may end up up just running into the second or third wall of what turns out to be a chain.

Oh and the slow-mo for the super thumps need to go away. They immediately fuck up the rhythm.

Alkuk

Neo Member
Your combo carries on from level to level, if you get hit or if you restart, you lose it. That's the punishment.
Ok, and this combo counter is invisible, right!? Cause I only sometimes see a circle on top right telling me "1x". This means combo down to 1!?
Hm, why dont they show us the score, the points and the combometer? Could be a bit more motivation when you know what you do, not!?

Enordash

Ok, and this combo counter is invisible, right!? Cause I only sometimes see a circle on top right telling me "1x". This means combo down to 1!?
Hm, why dont they show us the score, the points and the combometer? Could be a bit more motivation when you know what you do, not!?

I personally like the minimalist approach the game takes with this information. In later levels, you wouldn't have much time to be checking it on the fly. It may even pull your gaze away from the action from time to time and detract from the experience. The game intensely demands your focus and attention so I appreciate the lack of HUD. I suppose making this an option to toggle on and off wouldn't hurt anyone though.

jett

D-Member

That indeed means you lost your combo multiplier. I think the max is 3X or 4X. It doesn't seem to grow beyond that. You get your scorecard at the end of every level though. :p

I personally like the minimalist approach the game takes with this information. In later levels, you wouldn't have much time to be checking it on the fly. It may even pull your gaze away from the action from time to time and detract from the experience. The game intensely demands your focus and attention so I appreciate the lack of HUD. I suppose making this an option to toggle on and off wouldn't hurt anyone though.

Yeah, just looking at the combo multiplier icon can result in death.

It's also almost as if the devs didn't want to draw too much attention on scoring instead of just the "experience."

Enordash

Yeah, just looking at the combo multiplier icon can result in death.

It's also almost as if the devs didn't want to draw too much attention on scoring instead of just the "experience."

And it's a hell of an experience. I can't wait to try this in VR although it seems like that will only add to the sensory overload. VR is great at eliminating all outside distractions though.

Did anyone who got the iam8bit SE get the soundtrack along with your download code? Just realized my code was game-only. Product page says this: "**Game Code & Digital Soundtrack will be emailed at least one day before the game’s release (Oct 13, 2016), and will not be active until launch day."

I was sort of down on this playing in non-vr, but with the helmet on it makes the experience much more engrossing and I was playing better. I still think the obstacles should be more readable than they are currently.

LordofPwn

played the demo on PSVR last night, gonna have to pick this up. also just found the album on spotify so i'll call that a win for the day.

jett

D-Member
Dat feel when you think you're doing all kinds of awesome and you end up with a C. :|

And it's a hell of an experience. I can't wait to try this in VR although it seems like that will only add to the sensory overload. VR is great at eliminating all outside distractions though.

Actually the devs themselves have said that the game is easier on PSVR, I imaigne mostly due to the 3D presentation which makes it much easier for you to calculate depth.

One day I will play this magnificent game on VR.

I was sort of down on this playing in non-very, but with the helmet on it makes the experience much more engrossing and I was playing better. I still think the obstacles should be more readable than they are currently.

You get EXPONENTIALLY better the more you play. I went from a miserable 120k score on level 5 to 375k, and it was only my second time playing that particularly levell (although I have already finished the game), so it has nothing to do with memorization. I actually cracked the top 20, hooyay. :p I think I didn't even die until 5-21. Seriously though, you'll be friggin' visualizing every single turn and pad in your mind's eye before it actually shows up on the screen. I have no idea how I was doing it but I could tell the direction of every single turn in this run. Your brain will start recognizing the patterns soon enough all on its own.

This run leads me to another thing. I have now zero interest in doing "S runs." This game is really all about the feel of the flow, and constantly hitting restart on every level just to S it pretty much ruins the mood. Maybe one day I'll achieve zen status and be able to do this thing on an interrupted sequence... :p

So for playing this on PC, how is it running? I have a 970 and this seems straight up my alley but I don't want to worry about chugging. It's really damn pretty.

Nags

Banned
4-10 is killing meeee.

But yes playing in VR is definitely an advantage. Haven't had had any real problems until now.

This game really hijacked my senses earlier today....I sort of fell into this "luge" perspective with my body so I could see my beetle and the upcoming road and I think I melted my mind.

I've been an advocate for this game since it was first announced and we saw gameplay and have been keenly following its development, but I have to say that I just finished the third level and the lack of proper 'music' is kind of letting me down a bit. Does it get more rhythmic, I guess is what I'm asking? Just kind of bumming me out a bit.

Wozman23

I was sort of down on this playing in non-very, but with the helmet on it makes the experience much more engrossing and I was playing better.

Actually the devs themselves have said that the game is easier on PSVR, I imaigne mostly due to the 3D presentation which makes it much easier for you to calculate depth.

GLAD TO KNOW I'M NOT CRAZY! (DEBATABLE!) I'M SUPERHUMAN IN VR, AND A WEAK, PATHETIC MORTAL IN 2D! I'D SAY IT IS EXPONENTIALLY EASIER IN VR!

big_z

I've been an advocate for this game since it was first announced and we saw gameplay and have been keenly following its development, but I have to say that I just finished the third level and the lack of proper 'music' is kind of letting me down a bit. Does it get more rhythmic, I guess is what I'm asking? Just kind of bumming me out a bit.

Sort of, the visuals and audio remain mostly the same the entire game but there are more button presses timed with the music. At the same time it becomes increasingly more frustrating.

I'm in the same camp as you. Was looking forward to the game for a long time but now having played a majority of it I find it wasn't what I hoped it would be.

Rephil

why would the sell the vinyl only with a north american copy of the game. why not go for region free. love the soundtrack though. big game. :)

Stoze

Actual question: do you experience eye strain after playing this game for a while? Not even VR, just on a screen.

I'm particularly interested in your answer if you're replaying for S ranks and focusing intensely.

No I haven't gotten any, but I tend to take frequent breaks. Not because of eye strain, just so I don't feel like I'm beating my head against the wall.

No, it doesn't start churning out melodic songs. I don't know why you would expect that or be disappointed if you've been following closely.

People seem to be coming in with different expectations based on what Thumper looks like. Typically in these games the notes appear at the top of the screen or wherever, and when they come down and when you hit them precisely, you "play" the note/song. In Thumper, the notes are techinically already played as they appear at the top of the screen, and you're not playing the notes so much as you're just mimicking what has already been done. It's like an intense game of Simon Says, and it's interesting because you can tell what's coming up just based on listening intently, which you normally can't do most of the time in DDR, Amplitude, Audiosurf, Sequence, etc.. That's because you're playing along with actual songs that typically weren't built exclusively around the gameplay. Despite what it looks like, the game almost plays more like Rhythm Heaven than it does Guitar Hero. Unlike Rhythm Heaven though where you have to follow typically steady, monotonous beats, Thumper mixes it up constantly and you're following more of a hellscape ambiance.

KingKong

this gets pretty tough at level 5, feels a little too mean that taking a hit during the ring sequence means insta death

Stoze

this gets pretty tough at level 5, feels a little too mean that taking a hit during the ring sequence means insta death

They aren't insta-death, they take off one of your two health points and then go away. It feels like it initially though because they put rings back to back at the beginning of level 5, and you're used to not getting hurt from missing notes.

KingKong

They aren't insta-death, they take off one of your two health points and then go away. It feels like it initially though because they put rings back to back at the beginning of level 5, and you're used to not getting hurt from missing notes.

right I mean if you screw up on a button you get lasered for 1 hit, but if you screw up on a turn you get damaged and then lasered

Stoze

right I mean if you screw up on a button you get lasered for 1 hit, but if you screw up on a turn you get damaged and then lasered

Right. It also has a harsh buzz sound when hitting notes correctly which can fuck up your groove. late edit: Wrong, if you screw up a turn you don't get tasered.

Also if anyone is hitting a wall in terms of performing well, try using the d-pad (on a controller with a decent one). I switched over from control stick on a 360 controller to my DS4 a while ago and got used to it pretty quickly, I think it has helped me make quicker and more accurate inputs. It's especially nice for the mechanic introduced in level 4,
lane switching

wapplew

Right. It also has a harsh buzz sound when hitting notes correctly which can fuck up your groove.

Also if anyone is hitting a wall in terms of performing well, try using the d-pad (on a controller with a decent one). I switched over from control stick on a 360 controller to my DS4 a while ago and got used to it pretty quickly, I think it has helped me make quicker and more accurate inputs. It's especially nice for the mechanic introduced in level 4,
lane switching

Same, switch to Dpad help me clear level 4.
Too many time I switch back to old lane because the stick self center bounce too much and make a misstep.

robotrock

Banned
Did anyone who got the iam8bit SE get the soundtrack along with your download code? Just realized my code was game-only. Product page says this: "**Game Code & Digital Soundtrack will be emailed at least one day before the game’s release (Oct 13, 2016), and will not be active until launch day."

I've not received the soundtrack yet either.

Stillmatic

I'm only on lv 4, but this game is seriously amazing. Kind of blown away by how well it's designed, it makes you feel like you're in another world, completely immersed and focused on your goal. I need to remember to sit up high instead of slouching to get a better view of the grid.

KingKong

ah now I get what was messing me up on 5-5, there was a note right after a turn that I was missing. after that its been smooth sailing

and on to 6! when you get into a groove it feels amazing

Nemic77

From level 5-6 on I kept thinking I had reached my limit but I managed to beat the game. The tempo the last level reaches is mind blowing. Some parts had to be memorized because the notes and turns were showing up so fast I felt like I didn't have reflexes to react in time.

My scores are pretty shitty in the last 3-2 levels but I did enjoy this experience a lot. Look forward to trying it out in VR some day. I'll still keep replaying meanwhile.

Top Bottom