• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THUMPER |OT| THE BEETLE'S ROCK BAND - HIGHWAY TO HELL!

Joeku

It feels AWESOME to go back to an earlier level and greatly improve upon your previous score with all of your newly acquired Thumper knowledge (and actually feels moderately pleasant compared to the later levels :p). This score was good for 40th place. I was pounding and perfect turning like a goddamn madman. This is definitely one of those games were you quickly get better the more you play. I don't know how some people are getting over half a million points though. Are they just not dying during the entire run? How can someone be so good already? Or are they CHEATING!?
Don't you get bonus points loaded into a later pad for thumping after flying? I assume they're taking perfect corners and and doing the fly-thump.

I also just re-did level 1 after finishing level 5 and boy does that feel like baby-mode at this point.

Man, this game is so insanely relaxing. Just chill on a sofá, listen to the music, try to keep up, die 10x, win, repeat.

Rythmn heaven made me foam at the mouth with rage, but thumper? Zen bliss.

What the hell? You do you, man, but geez, that couldn't be further from my experience.

jett

D-Member
Don't you get bonus points loaded into a later pad for thumping after flying? I assume they're taking perfect corners and and doing the fly-thump.

I also just re-did level 1 after finishing level 5 and boy does that feel like baby-mode at this point.

Yeah I did a lot of that too, or at least as much as I could.

Level 1 just a tutorial, but it still's pretty nerve-wracking to go for the S score.

Jeez I feel stupid

Just bashed my head against the beginning of Level 3 not understanding what I was doing wrong, I was pressing X to slam instead of pressing down. It shows the prompt on screen but focusing on the track it just appears like a normal bump

Stoze

I did the exact same thing, but now I've jinxed myself and I'm doing bad on the later levels after spending time S ranking the first two. Hit a wall at 6-6 for now.

I kinda wish I would've started playing on a DS4 and maybe even using its D-pad, I feel like the 360 control stick is holding me back.

FatBaby

Jeez I feel stupid

Just bashed my head against the beginning of Level 3 not understanding what I was doing wrong, I was pressing X to slam instead of pressing down. It shows the prompt on screen but focusing on the track it just appears like a normal bump

God, tell me about it. I kept on hitting X-Down instead of just hitting down. It wasn't until the final boss until I stopped hitting X and it would work 100% of the time. Thought I had some lag delay or something going on.

robotrock

Banned
Jeez I feel stupid

Yeah that messed with me too.

Question for someone with thumper skillz to answer: Any time you fly over an arch, do you always press down instead of X to hit the beat?

Stoze

Was this game made on an engine from the ground up? I'm running it at 4k 8xmsaa and I have it locked at 140fps which I don't think it has budged from, and the frametime is about as solid as it can possibly get.

Granted it's on rails and I'm running it on a 980ti, but it's still the best performing game I've played in recent memory.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Just bought this game after reading through this thread. Damn, 30 seconds until it's done downloading haha. Time to buckle up.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Sounds like VR would take it to a whole other level.

It does, I did a write up a while back when I got a chance to play it in VR for about half hour. Incredibly unique experience. Going through the tunnels made me feel like I was in Willy Wonka's nightmare tunnel scene.

edit- and as ridiculous as this sounds, this is on my GOTY radar right now. Will have to give it some time to sink in, but right now I'm so lost in this game, it's unreal.

robotrock

Banned
It does, I did a write up a while back when I got a chance to play it in VR for about half hour. Incredibly unique experience. Going through the tunnels made me feel like I was in Willy Wonka's nightmare tunnel scene.

edit- and as ridiculous as this sounds, this is on my GOTY radar right now. Will have to give it some time to sink in, but right now I'm so lost in this game, it's unreal.

not ridiculous at all mate

Cajun

Neo Member
Question for someone with thumper skillz to answer: Any time you fly over an arch, do you always press down instead of X to hit the beat?

Not sure what you mean by this. If you mean to end a flight, it depends on what's coming up. Later in the game, they fool you into thinking you can stomp a beat, when you actually need to fly back up (i.e. the pattern will be pad, arch, pad, arch). If you can stomp for points, down. If you need to fly back up, hit X + Up. You always to need to look ahead.

Hahaha, that sound like great fun :) Gonna try this asap when I get my PSVR

PaulloDEC

A bit past the halfway mark in Level 4 now. My focus is rapidly moving towards survival rather than style.

Also my thumbs hurt.

Wozman23

GLAD THIS THREAD COULD INTRODUCE SOME PEOPLE TO THE GAME!

I FINALLY GOT AROUND TO PLAYING IT! GOT THROUGH LEVELS 1 AND 2 OKAY! TOOK A BREAK, HAD A FEW CHALLENGES IN 3, AND GOT UP TO 4-11 (I THINK) WHERE I GAVE UP AROUND 3:30AM!

MOST OF MY PROBLEMS COME FROM NOT RECOGNIZING THE CUES FOR THE TURNS WHEN THERE ARE MORE THAN ONE! I WAS JUST PLAYING THROUGH MY TV SPEAKERS, SO I PROBABLY NEED TO GO HEADPHONES OR SURROUND SOUND TO SEE IF THAT HELPS.

DESPITE JUST USING TWO BUTTONS, THERE IS A LOT OF SUBTLETY TO THE CONTROLS AND PROPER TIMING.

WHEN YOU'RE IN A GROOVE, IT'S VERY TRANCE-LIKE, BUT THE PATH TO THAT POINT IS FILLED WITH ANXIETY AND DREAD!

THERE'S NEVER BEEN A GAME THAT FEELS THIS FOREBODING, WHICH IS WHAT ATTRACTED ME TO THUMPER IN THE FIRST PLACE! IT'S SIMULTANEOUSLY BOTH EXHILARATING AND EXHAUSTING!

A BUDDY OF MINE IS GONNA GET PS VR, SO I MIGHT GET TO TRY IT OUT THAT WAY TOMORROW! I'M FEARFULLY EXCITED!

Steam Forums: "The game is too quiet! make it louder!"

*Dev patches Max Audio Volume to 200%*

Forums: "Still not loud enough!"

*Dev patches Max Audio Volume to 500%*

Forums:
invincible.jpg

Also:

Wozman23
MY EYES ARE BLEEDING
(Yesterday, 11:20 PM)

Alkuk

Neo Member
Really interested in this. But I cant stand any input lag in rhythm games. Video and audio has to be super tight.
So, is there an option to calibrate button timing? Did you experience any input lag? For me, Superbeat Xonic is near perfect in this regard.

Really interested in this. But I cant stand any input lag in rhythm games. Video and audio has to be super tight.
So, is there an option to calibrate button timing? Did you experience any input lag? For me, Superbeat Xonic is near perfect in this regard.

Input lag hasn't been an issue for me whatsoever. There's no Timing window ranks, it's pass/fail, and the Window is actually pretty wide. it's less about getting timings right and more about Getting in the zone and hitting those Perfect turns and Flight Thumps. (among other things..)

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
So I'm just about at lvl 7 and one question I have is when launching after a note, sometimes you can hover longer than others. There was a tutorial like section with this that I think I missed exactly how it works.

Another thing I'm struggling with is staying in the air when taking turns. I think k that has more to do with me using analog and it's registering as if I'm pressing down.

jett

D-Member
Level 8.

Jesuschrist.

I got a single S ranking in there and when I did I felt like I had touched into the Matrix.

Stoze

lol snakes on a plane reference got me.

I just finished level 7 and got in the top 10 on the leaderboards, I'm guessing not a lot of people have beaten the game yet.

Main complaint I have is there's too much visual clutter when you come down perfectly on a note after having been in the air for bit, most of the time it causes me to get hit. I think the fact you have to perform extra inputs, up and down, as well as the risk from chaining and maintaining elongated flight is punishment enough.

On the other hand coming down on a health note after flight, especially on the one that ends the section, is extremely satisfying.

jett

D-Member
After two hours of battling through level 9, I have finally finished this game.

And now I drop dead.

But before I do that, I'm just gonna say that I'll blind buy anything else these developers ever produce.

Stoze

Beat it as well, great game. The end of level 9 has some neat surprises, I especially liked
going inside the final boss' head and then realizing you're not done yet. Level infinite was a trip.
It's extremely impressive that just two people made this, props to the devs.

Going to try S-ranking other levels tomorrow, but I think the game needs a good quick restart button before I'd get serious about it. Another problem is if you're shooting for S and miss the final note of the section, then you're kind of fucked and can't restart from the last checkpoint to do it again. Luckily it looks like the devs read these complaints on the steam forums so hopefully we'll get some changes in the not too distant future.

FyreWulff

haven't beat it yet, but getting through. I love how the game teaches you phrases and then starts combining them together. It hits a nice instinct level of playing.

I'm only to world 4 and

I was like "oh shit multiple lanes now?

bounchfx

holy shit, just finished world 4 and I keep liking this game more. Even the music in level 4 is dope as fuck when it clicks. they did such a great job with this. Hell of a challenge too!

oggob

So is it correct the only way to get the OST at the moment is either...

Collector's Edition via iam8bit, but that includes both digital and physical vinyl versions. (though digital code of game is PS NA Accounts only or Steam)

or

Steam, but you need the base game on Steam for the OST to work.

So, being a EU territory peasant that wants to pick this up on the PS4, I have no option in getting the OST without theoretically buying the game twice at the moment?

hawk2025

So is it correct the only way to get the OST at the moment is either...

Collector's Edition via iam8bit, but that includes both digital and physical vinyl versions. (though digital code of game is PS NA Accounts only or Steam)

or

Steam, but you need the base game on Steam for the OST to work.

So, being a EU territory peasant that wants to pick this up on the PS4, I have no option in getting the OST without theoretically buying the game twice at the moment?

You could buy the game and a Lightning Bolt album :)

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Just finished the game as well. Top 5 on the last 2 levels. The last level only had 10 or so people total. While it's tough, it's more worrying about sales. This game deserves every sale it gets so hopefully it picks up.

SilentRob

Just beat Level 6 and the game is now turning into a frustrating endeavor in Trial & Error. At some points I am just unable to see turns approaching if they are very short and I can only really react to them after dying at least once. The beat of the Boss in 6th level also never clicked with me and the "notes" I had to hit seemed not only arbritarily placed, but also intentionally misleading, changing from one pattern to the next and back in a heartbeat without the beat in the background really changing.

I loved the first 4-5 levels but replaying sections over and over again run counter to the level of immersion I want from this game. I can't lose myself in the beat and the visuals anymore because i constantly have to reload and restart the beat. Looking at the leaderbords I can see that only 50 people beat the last level so far (and less than 200 beat level 6), so I can only guess it gets even worse from here on out.

jett

D-Member
Just beat Level 6 and the game is now turning into a frustrating endeavor in Trial & Error. At some points I am just unable to see turns approaching if they are very short and I can only really react to them after dying at least once. The beat of the Boss in 6th level also never clicked with me and the "notes" I had to hit seemed not only arbritarily placed, but also intentionally misleading, changing from one pattern to the next and back in a heartbeat without the beat in the background really changing.

I loved the first 4-5 levels but replaying sections over and over again run counter to the level of immersion I want from this game. I can't lose myself in the beat and the visuals anymore because i constantly have to reload and restart the beat. Looking at the leaderbords I can see that only 50 people beat the last level so far (and less than 200 beat level 6), so I can only guess it gets even worse from here on out.

If you're having trouble with the later levels, you should go back to the first levels as a form of practicing your moves and stringing together combos. It helped me.

Knuf

Extremely interested in buying this game as I love me some difficult (but fair) games, but I need to know how really difficult (and fair) this is first.
To the guys here who have already finished it: how does Thumper's difficulty compare to, let's say, finishing Downwell on hard?

Extremely interested in buying this game as I love me some difficult (but fair) games, but I need to know how really difficult (and fair) this is first.
To the guys here who have already finished it: how does Thumper's difficulty compare to, let's say, finishing Downwell on hard?

I can't answer that since I never finished Downwell. But, the game is hard but fair.

For rhythm game perspective, I was never able to beat more than one or two songs in Guitar Hero on the second-hardest difficulty and I was able to beat Thumper (albeit with a lot of work.)

It's hard but you get way better the more you play.

NEO0MJ

Clreared level two now. Think I'm getting a better hang of the timing but I just know they're still taking it easy on me.

how do post in red caps? fascinating thread btw. knew nothing about this game before today but super exite!

That's a secret us OGs keep from juniors.

Just put whatever you want red between two brackets ;)

Got up to level 5 without any trouble. Finished 5 with a shameful score.

I think I'm gonna take a break. This game is everything I wanted from it, no need to rush through it.

Top Bottom