• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim League of Alamo Drafthouse extends mercy to noted blogger/molester

About a year ago, after alleging that James Rolfe was a sexist for not wanting to see some remake, film blogger Devin Faraci, long a champion of inclusivity and other progressive ideals in geek media, was revealed to have on at least one occasion improperly groped a woman.

Here is the thread covering that: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1291754

Anyway, here is what Tim League, his boss, has to say now.

Tim League said:
Nearly a year ago, sexual misconduct allegations were brought against an Alamo Drafthouse employee, Devin Faraci. Though Devin did not recall the event, he did not doubt the allegations. Instead, he acknowledged the wrong, conveyed his sincere regret, and vowed to make the necessary changes in his life to prevent something like this from ever happening again. Devin took the allegations seriously, as did I, Alamo Drafthouse, and Birth.Movies.Death. As a result, we agreed the only course of action was for him to step down from his role as Editor-in-Chief of Birth.Movies.Death. We needed to make a clean break, change the leadership and accordingly terminated his employment. Devin has not written for Birth.Movies.Death. since.
A culture of sexual harassment and gender inequality persists in our society and specifically within the film industry, and much work remains to fix this problem. By engaging in dialogue about these issues, and by holding people responsible for their actions, we can begin to bridge the gap between where we are now, and where we need to be. Without question, sexual misconduct is impermissible. The question is whether there is any path to redemption, and if so, what that path looks like.
Devin has spent the time since this allegation examining the choices he made that led to it. He has recognized and acknowledged his struggles with substance abuse; after stepping down, he immediately entered recovery and has been sober ever since. This is an important step in the right direction.
His departure from Birth.Movies.Death meant losing his job, his livelihood, his career, and his place in the film community, but Devin has started the work to rebuild himself first with the understanding that all else is secondary. Seeing the work that Devin has been doing to acknowledge his faults, to address his addiction, and to better himself, I thought it was important to contribute to his recovery process by helping him with some means to earn a living. Once it became clear that his efforts were sincere, I offered Devin copywriting work at Alamo Drafthouse and have recently expanded that to include writing blurbs for our Fantastic Fest festival guide. He does not hold any leadership position at Alamo Drafthouse or Fantastic Fest and is not involved with Birth.Movies.Death. in any capacity.
I understand there's some discomfort with the idea that Devin is once again employed by the Alamo Drafthouse. However, I am very much an advocate for granting people second chances, and I believe that Devin deserves one. He continues to confront his issues and to better himself with the help of his friends and family. I am proud to consider myself a part of this process.
Human beings make mistakes, and when they acknowledge those mistakes and embark upon a journey of personal improvement, they deserve forgiveness. If, God forbid, I somehow find myself in a similar place down the road, my hope is that my actions up until this point have warranted others to offer the same help to me.

I'm not sure how I feel about this.

EDIT:

Dang, that's what I get for being lazy. Turns out the Hollywood Reporter article is up.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...s-1038195?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

Was wondering when this would get posted here.

Basically, Tim League is well within his rights to define forgiveness as he personally sees fit, and he's got his reasons for offering that forgiveness.

I'm not certain that forgiveness NEEDS to equal giving the man a paycheck again to do the exact same bullshit that afforded him the position to be the kind of shitheel he was for a very, very long time, or that forgiving a person means you have to let them do the things they used to do just because they'd like to do them again.

I also think it's shady as fuck that he was paying him to do work for Drafthouse without telling anyone he'd let him back in the fold, and that the only reason this came up was because he finally started putting bylines on the mans words for Fantastic Fest. Because now that means money I've been giving Drafthouse through Mondo, through ad impressions at Birth.Movies - at least part of that has been going to Faraci in some manner, however small.

And maybe my definition of forgiveness, should I even wanted to have offered it, doesn't include financially benefiting Devin Faraci.

It's not as if his voice is so fucking necessary to film that he has to come back. The world of the enthusiast press (such as it is) was rolling along just fine without him.

Slayven

Did he actually put in some work or is this a mel gibson disappear for a little while and come back like nothing happened?

Whatever work he's put in has been on the low. League is vouching for him that he's sober, so I guess maybe he's been in and come out of some sort of program?

I dont' think he's actually issued any sort of apology. I don't know that League ever really addressed it, either? At least not directly? Maybe I'm forgetting, though.

But rolling him back into the family in secret for a couple months before being forced to admit you've still got him on the payroll isn't a great look, either.

It's been interesting to watch unfold on fb as various filmmakers, festival programmers, bloggers, etc pipe up. A lot of people are bothered by this decision.

From what I've gathered he's been in AA for the whole year and has become a Buddhist. I think he's an incredible writer. In fact, he still writes on movies - just on Letterboxd. I feel the way the whole situation went down is a case study of how the accused should react: don't deny one's experience and try to do something positive from it. Contrition.

Joni

If he has changed, which can be best judged by the people that know him which isn't me, there shouldn't be a problem here. It would be the ideal scenario, person pays for his mistakes and fixes them. I hope it does include personal apologies to the victim.

Obviously Faraci deserved to be punished. But I'm uncomfortable by a sentiment I see a lot on Twitter that basically amounts to "A bad person should never be gainfully employed ever again." You might as well tell the person to go die, which is what happens when you don't have a job.

It's a difficult situation. Faraci hurt people and deserves to be punished. But how severely does he deserve it, and are you willing to deal it to him?

I just don't see why he just... gets to be a paid film writer again. Why that's a thing that should happen.

I'm not sure I get that reasoning. Forgiveness - that's between the individual and the forgiven.

But maybe he gets to try out other professions now.

Because sure as shit this isn't going to go well for him once they try to graduate his ass back to the main site.

And I don't know why the writers there would put up with that were it to happen.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Here's my issue. All the under cover of darkness stuff is super shady. If someone had uncovered that before this statement, imagine the shitstorm. Second problem, I'm not saying he shouldn't be employed. But why must he be employed by the same place? That's honestly his only means of employment?

I'm not gonna bug out about it. It just sounds kinda fishy.

Did he actually put in some work or is this a mel gibson disappear for a little while and come back like nothing happened?

Part the Mel thing and part the Nick Robinson thing where he apologized for one allegation, then disappeared as he ignored additional allegations and judgement.

Has he learned and changed? Doubtful.

And the problem with second chances, in this instance, is the dude used his position of power to undermine and harass others. Maybe give those people their first chance instead of putting him in that position again to do it all over.

If someone had uncovered that before this statement, imagine the shitstorm. Second problem, I'm not saying he shouldn't be employed. But why must he be employed by the same place? That's honestly his only means of employment?

They did. The statement was given because Pajiba writer Kayleigh Donaldson wrote a blog about it after being told about Faraci getting a credit in the Fantastic Fest program, League's statement followed after that started going around, and he essentially confirmed the rumors that he'd been doing writing for them uncredited for awhile now.

Granted, he was probably gonna say something sooner or later, otherwise he wouldn't have let Faraci get a credit on the program. But this statement on his facebook was a response. It wasn't proactive.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
They did. The statement was given because Pajiba writer Kayleigh Donaldson wrote a blog about it after being told about Faraci getting a credit in the Fantastic Fest program, League's statement followed after that started going around, and he essentially confirmed the rumors that he'd been doing writing for them uncredited for awhile now.

So this is damage control. Tsk tsk. That's even uglier with the added context.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I think I'd be significantly more upset about this if they were offering Faraci any sort of real editorial work. Writing festival guide blurbs sort of sounds like grunt work. But its not a good look that they felt the need to keep it on the down low. And I don't think anyone is wrong to not want to ever touch anything Faraci is near even if my feelings aren't quite as vehement

border

If he's essentially been demoted to writing blurbs for the occasional event, that's hardly gainful employment or a living wage. He's basically gone from CEO to janitor. Seems like a fitting enough punishment, assuming that he's legit sober and well-behaved.

Second chances are good when it comes to minor offenses. What Faraci did was not minor and it's kinda fucked that the CEO is telling us to seek forgiveness for him. I'm sorry but there are things you don't deserve to get back once you commit a big fuck up.

Besides which, even if you wanted to set aside his sexual assault (which he never actually apologized for) - his behavior in his position had been toxic for fucking YEARS before that.

Again: League's line (I called it the Polanski-Allen line on twitter earlier) is wherever he chooses to draw it. That's a personal thing, and only he gets to make that call for himself. But by choosing to secretly re-employ the man, he in a small way is choosing for everyone who buys shit from Mondo, who gets a ticket to Fantastic Fest, who clicks an ad at BMD, to roll their money into his flavor of forgiveness.

It's kinda shitty.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Besides which, even if you wanted to set aside his sexual assault (which he never actually apologized for) - his behavior in his position had been toxic for fucking YEARS before that.

Faraci's response to the actual assault which, if I remember accounts at the time including from League, involved contacting the victim via proper legal channels to offer to engage in any sort of mediation they desired (including non-contact) seemed...appropriate to me. What was less appropriate was arguably how he went so completely dark to avoid any sort of other engagement around additional accusations

Like, he went dark for a couple of months after being let go, and then he just randomly gets re-hired? It doesn't matter if it's not the same position, he's back in some form with the same company and has a chance to move up again. Why? How is it that easy?
that James Rolfe stuff seems silly in retrospect given how that movie went down and was recieved
Rolfe did act like a typical nerd fuckboy.

Not sure how I feel about all of this. I'm a fairly long time Birth Movies Death (and Badass Digest before that) reader, and I thought when these allegations first surfaced it was handled about as well as could be expected by the website itself.

If what Poole is saying is true (and Faraci's old podcast cohost Amy Nicholson has said similar things in the past) and Devin has shown genuine contrition, remorse and growth due to his actions, then that is something that can't be completely ignored.

At the same time he doesn't have some irrefutable right to continue working in the film press, there are other things I'm sure he could be doing for employment. And the fact that this was kept on the down low doesn't look very good. I certainly wouldn't be comfortable with Faraci returning to an editorial position, but copywriter for film festivals is about as low as you can fall from website EIC and still be working in the same field.

The Rolfe stuff was unfortunate for more than a couple reasons, but Faraci being a shitheel doesn't erase the way a lot of gamergaters basically used Rolfe as a shield/smokescreen for their disingenuous bullshit.

Rolfe volunteered, whether it was unassumingly or not, to be the fresh face of a weird little movment that had its roots in something way more hurtful than simple "muh childhood moobies" bullshit.

This isnt' really about James Rolfe and that dumb Ghostbusters shit, though.

If you want to give him another chance, fine, that's your decision as a business maker and we can't do anything but vote with our money to tell you otherwise.

But don't do that, then try and hide it because you know that what you're doing is kind of sketchy and wrong but want to do it anyway because he's your friend.

Lost a lot of respect for Mr. League today.

If you want to give him another chance, fine, that's your decision as a business maker and we can't do anything but vote with our money to tell you otherwise.

But don't do that, then try and hide it because you know that what you're doing is kind of sketchy and wrong but want to do it anyway because he's your friend.

Lost a lot of respect for Mr. League today.

That's another thing. Would he extend a hand for an employee he wasn't personal friends with? All of this is shady.

Faraci's response to the actual assault which, if I remember accounts at the time including from League, involved contacting the victim via proper legal channels to offer to engage in any sort of mediation they desired (including non-contact) seemed...appropriate to me. What was less appropriate was arguably how he went so completely dark to avoid any sort of other engagement around additional accusations

That's the idea. He wanted to play it off as an isolated incident (it wasn't) and make it look like he's taking the high road. Now his other victims are opening up on how they were told to stay quiet about it.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
That's the idea. He wanted to play it off as an isolated incident (it wasn't) and make it look like he's taking the high road. Now his other victims are opening up on how they were told to stay quiet about it.
Is there any up to date resource on what allegations have come out?

Ewww - this I didn't know. If true that definitely makes this much worse.

Foggy

Not sure why League is taking it upon himself to be a part of the "recovery" of Faraci, but I at least hope he consulted the other women under the Alamo umbrella first.

smisk

If you have to hire someone back in secret, then you probably shouldn't be hiring them back

Yeah. Agree that people should be given second chances (especially considering he seems to be genuinely working on himself) but the way they went about it seems sketchy.

border

Is there any up to date resource on what allegations have come out?

Yeah, I haven't really kept up with what's happened after the initial allegation. He basically just said "I don't remember that, but am shocked to hear it." Got fired, and that was the last I heard. Haven't kept up with the "further allegations" at all.

Besides which, even if you wanted to set aside his sexual assault (which he never actually apologized for)

Some lawyer (rightfully or wrongfully) advised him that an apology would likely be viewed as an admission of guilt in a potential criminal or civil case. Doesn't excuse his silence, but I wouldn't expect a public mea culpa. Lacking evidence or witnesses, legal counsel is probably going to tell you not to do anything that could harm your case.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Seems like a tricky thing. I only have it second hand that he was a bit of a turd accusations aside, but I dunno that I can expect employers to vanish people they think are valuable forever.... but I kinda do?

Like, his writing can't be better than another human's dignity right?

Whatever. I have other issues with BMD guys, but I love the Drafthouse. This is murky enough that it just makes me think less of League I think. I'll probably still go for now. Hopefully more gross shit doesn't pile up around my favorite theaters.

Verdict: Disappointed.

Shit is getting real on fb.

Director of international programming for Fantastic Fest, Todd Brown, has announced he is parting ways with the festival over this decision. You may have heard of a couple movies he helped produce, Raid 1 and 2. Brown is particularly angered that he was not kept informed at any step of the process and ultimately found out the same time as the rest of us via a social media post.

Bobby nailed it in one. Forgive the guy, sure. That's fine, that's your prerogative. But there's absolutely nothing that says you have to give him a job back. That seems very unwise, and will kill a lot of good will that Alamo built with stuff like their Wonder Woman screenings.

norm9

Director of international programming for Fantastic Fest, Todd Brown, has announced he is parting ways with the festival over this decision. You may have heard of a couple movies he helped produce, Raid 1 and 2. Brown is particularly angered that he was not kept informed at any step of the process and ultimately found out the same time as the rest of us via a social media post.

Uh oh. The complicated part of rehiring Devin is that it isn't just the website that they have, it's the theater, the festivals, all these other things. If it was just the website, this might've gotten some shrugs and people saying they're going to stop going to the website. With all the other things involved which includes a ton of money, this could go real bad for League. I could see him being pushed out some way, based on optics.

Mifune

Mehmber
I was looking forward to the new Drafthouse in L.A. but I won't be going there until both of these fucking idiots are gone.

Like how do you write a statement like this and barely even acknowledge the crime committed? And spend the whole thing talking about Devin's fucking voyage of the soul or whatnot. Devin's drunkenness does not excuse sexual assault. His sobriety does not mean it won't happen again. Did he go to counseling? Community service? What a fucking joke.

Yep, shady as we all predicted.

SeanC

All for second chances and helping someone on a new path.

But... (always a but)

For Faraci this goes beyond the sexual assault incident, which was awful certainly and if it goes the criminal route then I'm all for it, but he's been pretty toxic for a while and I haven't really seen any indication that he would look to change or alter his way of approaching the film community. He's kind of the worst type of film critic/blogger out there - one that has no self-awareness and is unable to communicate with others respectfully. His peers at BMD seem to get that latter take, not sure why he was the head of it all when he was kind of the biggest shithead in the film community yet those under him seem generally nicer (most were freelance, sure, but still). No sense of apology on that and no major comments regarding the allegations just add on to a pile of enormous shit.

On top of that, League should have been upfront and tracking Faraci publicly for everyone. If he was hired back behind the scenes, that should be known right away. If he was given any position, people will want to be aware of it and if you're going to preach transparency then it needs to be transparent from the get-go. Though I like his wording and overall thoughts on the matter regarding helping and second chances, his process and dictating of it is outright wrong. You can't say "I'm trying to help this individual" which I'm all for then say "We're already steps along in the process so you all will just have to deal now, he's been a good boy." Fuck that.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Tim League also told one of the women that that dumpster-clown sexually harassed to keep it on the dl:
L8rd6ag.jpg

Silexx

I feel like there's a lot of inside baseball going on here, making difficult for layman posters like myself to follow all these posts.

Top Bottom