• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim League of Alamo Drafthouse extends mercy to noted blogger/molester

And there are those that have done a lot worse and have come back to do the same thing they were doing. Sometimes as better people. Sometimes as not.

How is this helping your argument any? I don't get it. You essentially just made the case that it doesn't matter which job he goes back to. And I'm arguing that maybe it does. So if I think it's probably a bad call he gets to re-enter the film writing community (in fact, he never left it) and you think it doesn't even matter at all, I don't... I don't get your stance here, basically.

I see it more of a friend seeing a friend go through something bad. Something the friend is responsible for, but who accepts that responsibility, and learns and grows from it. So he gives him small jobs to do. Enough to keep his life together. I'd expect my friends to do the same.

So this is less about what's actually happening, and more about you entertaining a fictional scenario in which you'd like to believe that if you were a sexual offender and a serial dickhead to something like half the people you ever came in contact with, your friends would still hook you up like nothing had happened.

Why is that lack of personal responsibility on the part of either your friends or yourself a positive step on the road to forgiveness in this what-if that you're entertaining?

Why is it that the possibility of keeping your life together means there are no other means of doing so outside the single avenue that provided you all the opportunities you fucked up in the first place?

Why would you not want to try a new road at that point? Why should everyone be obligated to just... let you back into your lane like that?

Faraci apparently wrote this two weeks ago.

DJj50eLXcAERI2l.jpg

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh

Yes. That's something a "well adjusted" guy writes.

Whoops

PudieRSC

How is this helping your argument any? I don't get it. You essentially just made the case that it doesn't matter which job he goes back to. And I'm arguing that maybe it does. So if I think it's probably a bad call he gets to re-enter the film writing community (in fact, he never left it) and you think it doesn't even matter at all, I don't... I don't get your stance here, basically.

So this is less about what's actually happening, and more about you entertaining a fictional scenario in which you'd like to believe that if you were a sexual offender and a serial dickhead to something like half the people you ever came in contact with, your friends would still hook you up like nothing had happened.

Why is that lack of personal responsibility on the part of either your friends or yourself a positive step on the road to forgiveness in this what-if that you're entertaining?

Why is it that the possibility of keeping your life together means there are no other means of doing so outside the single avenue that provided you all the opportunities you fucked up in the first place?

Why would you not want to try a new road at that point? Why should everyone be obligated to just... let you back into your lane like that?

I guess my point is that this is what the guy knows. It's not just a job to him. It's his passion and his life. Could he get a job flipping burgers, stocking shelves, or whatever to pay the bills? Absolutely.

But if we're assuming Devin was actually taking accountability for his actions, going to rehab, etc, then I don't think it's far fetched for a good friend in said industry to be like "Hey. I know you and I think you're a good person. I see what you're trying to do. So let me help you out." And you could argue that not having to deal with the added stress of learning a new career, going back to school, etc, can help better focus on his own self improvement.

No one is obligated to do anything. Tim did it because he's a friend. No one has to read what Devin rights, or go to movies at the Drafthouse, etc.

I'm trying not to be too dismissive here, but people seem to be acting like no one gives a shit about what actually happened and Tim is just laughing and being like "Yea come on back! Of course! Who cares!?"

Devin is, by various accounts, taking responsibility. Staying or leaving your profession isn't the only way you do that. And making either decision doesn't mean you have or you haven't.

Anyways, I've said my peace. Everyone is justified in how they want to react to this as well. I'm not trying to argue against you guys, just explain my own view.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
As someone on Twitter said, if Devin wanted to write about movies he could start a blog and collect $10 on Patreon while getting a job in data entry or something. So quickly giving him a job back in the same company is scummy

I guess my point is that this is what the guy knows. It's not just a job to him.

Nah, it's a job. He wasn't doing this before he started getting tossed blogposts at Chud. Hell, I believe he was a fuckin' SOCIAL WORKER of some sort before he left that job to go on junkets for movie blogs.

He knows work other than writing blurbs.

stupei

This idea that someone deserves their job back in the same industry because it's what they are good at seems to ignore the reality that his presence within said industry makes women feel less safe in the field where they are just doing what they are good at too.

But I guess his mistakes should only have consequences for others and none for himself, huh?

This. This puts a huge blemish on Alamo Draft house for me.

This is genuinely upsetting. I go there just about once a week, sometimes twice, and this makes me want to never give them anymore of my money.

I actually have a ticket to an early screening there tonight. Not sure I'll go now. The proceeds all went to Harvey relief, so I'm fine with them keeping that. Just feel gross about even the thought of sitting there and pretending this is acceptable.

Bendeavor

Neo Member
I live in a country where even people who've been jailed for serious crimes gets a second chance, so I'm ok with this. I always liked his writing and hope I can read his work again. Gamergate idiots hate him, so that's a bonus.

Surely the people in your country who get second chances demonstrate that they have grown or improved themselves enough to be trusted? If Faraci got his current position in a few short months after stepping down, I highly doubt he changed that much.

Also, so what if Gamergaters hate him? They hate plenty of people who aren't pieces of shit, so why put up with the smell? A bit of spite isn't worth the message that supporting him sends to women.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Though Devin did not recall the event, he did not doubt the allegations. Instead, he acknowledged the wrong, conveyed his sincere regret, and vowed to make the necessary changes in his life to prevent something like this from ever happening again.

Yeah sure.

Reading about how Drafthouse could be sued into the stone age if Faraci relapses should prove what a dumb fucking idea this was, regardless of the moral implications.

The Technomancer

I understand why the rest of the BMD crew was pretty quiet at the time but I am really going to need to see something from Meredith after this.

Foggy

But I guess his mistakes should only have consequences for others and none for himself, huh?

This is at the heart of it all. Bitterly disappointing.

This is genuinely upsetting. I go there just about once a week, sometimes twice, and this makes me want to never give them anymore of my money.

I actually have a ticket to an early screening there tonight. Not sure I'll go now. The proceeds all went to Harvey relief, so I'm fine with them keeping that. Just feel gross about even the thought of sitting there and pretending this is acceptable.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but League only owns the ones in Austin and the others are franchised. Not sure if he gets a kickback or not. Maybe it doesn't change yours or anyone else's conviction but it's probably worth knowing.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
This is at the heart of it all. Bitterly disappointing.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but League only owns the ones in Austin and the others are franchised. Not sure if he gets a kickback or not. Maybe it doesn't change yours or anyone else's conviction but it's probably worth knowing.

I might be wrong but I'm fairly sure that Tim League founded the Alamo Drafthouse.

Edit: Looks like he sold the rights to the company but kept control of the Austin locations.

The Technomancer

Weather or not Meredith Borders knew about this basically determines if I can read BirthMoviesDeath anymore. I asked her on Twitter if they had anything to say and she said a statement is coming

MsKrisp

Not knowing much about this situation, League sounds reasonable... at first.

But damn, all these receipts coming up ITT. And just one month away from the job and a "demotion"? You have to ask yourself folks, would you be extended the same courtesy at your job, regardless of how skilled you are? What if it's public news? Do you think you'd have a job to go back to?

Sounds like friends taking care of each other, not a story of a second chance after rehab and counseling.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Weather or not Meredith Borders knew about this basically determines if I can read BirthMoviesDeath anymore. I asked her on Twitter if they had anything to say and she said a statement is coming
I hope it's better than the previous statement.

Mifune

Mehmber
It puzzles me how people can suggest that maybe Faraci has atoned for his sins when the actual victim is on twitter talking about it and she's fucking livid. Does it sound like he atoned for this particular sin to you?

stupei

He's the CEO of the rights holding company. He oversees everything.

https://drafthouse.com/news/tim-league-to-assume-role-as-ceo-of-merged-alamo-drafthouse

Yeah, I actually went by the theater on the way home from work to tell them I wouldn't be using my ticket tonight and didn't want a refund because the money went to charity, like I said, but could they make the ticket available to staff.

I asked about the best means to register a complaint and they said really the only way was to contact Tim directly because they have almost no control.

He has a LONG history of doing this. Multiple women have come out of the woodworks.

They even emailed Tim about how Devin sexually harassed and demeaned them, and he asked them to keep it quiet. TIm pretended Devin was out, but it appears he was secretly on the books the whole time.

This guy was an abuser of women for a long time. I am facebook friends what that whole chewer crew, and was a chewer from way back. This wasn't one random incident.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Things are getting fucky on Twitter. Some critics that are women and some self described feminists are dying on a hill to defend Faraci. It's not about forgiving him or not wanted him to get redemption, it's about not hiring him right back to the company where women work.

Ao7FMjv.png

This was Alisha a few months ago when it was fun to shit on Snyder

22m3ITv.png

BcArmSH.png

pDZvR3r.png

yKc7N1R.png
c

All those people are personal friends with him.

None of the women who have been assaulted, harassed and humiliated by him are defending him.

It's not just women. He's a notorious bully. He always knew what he was doing. If you act like that for your whole life, you should suffer the consequences.

norm9

Strong hill to die on. They must really like free fantastic fest tix or wat ever they're usually gettinh being part of this film culure clique.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
A key question to those defenders would be, why should consumers believe that Faraci has rehabilitated himself or evolved? Why should people take Tim League's word for it when he appears to have deliberately mischaracterized the facts around Faraci's job status?

stupei

If their primary concern is recovery, you would think they would be concerned that he is returning to the lifestyle that presumably helped to enable his addiction in the first place.

It's almost like saying they are concerned with second chances for those struggling with addiction is just a progressive sounding smoke screen for wanting to ignore the actions of someone they like personally.

nomis

Faraci apparently wrote this two weeks ago.

DJj50eLXcAERI2l.jpg

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh

faraci is a duplicitous sack of shit

of course he is going to seem remorseful when he gets fucking caught and called out, the whole point is that he doesn’t get put back in a writers position because that’s what he’s comfortable doing for employment- he should HAVE to experience discomfort for what he did in his previous job

I've disliked Devin for the way he acted on CHUD, and I never read his stuff after that. But as regards forgiveness and who has the right to give it or defend Devin, I really dislike the posts calling out female critics for defending him(at least that's how it reads). As if because they are female they should respond a certain way.

If the proverbial YOU or I, internet nobodies, have the right to decide for ourselves to give or deny Devin forgiveness based on what we read about him, I think his friends and acquaintances have that right as well. And they don't deserve to be shamed into hating him or feeling whatever you think is right, if their entire realm of interaction with the guy has been positive.

If you want to ignore his friends work in the future or stop visiting the Drafthouse, fine.

norm9

If the proverbial YOU or I, internet nobodies, have the right to decide for ourselves to give or deny Devin forgiveness based on what we read about him, I think his friends and acquaintances have that right as well. And they don't deserve to be shamed into hating him or feeling whatever you think is right, if their entire realm of interaction with the guy has been positive.

If you want to ignore his friends work in the future or stop visiting the Drafthouse, fine.

They shouldn't be shamed, but I think it's fair to ask wtf are they thinking (since twitter is a public forum)?

Like the one picture further up where the woman keeps saying she's being threatened. She's not being threatened and can easily just block or mute the oerson, but his supporters have boxed themselves into a bad position where their defending him looks really really bad, and there is no defense that they can come up with except he's a nice person or some shit. That's some low ass bar for forgiveness for a groper.

If their primary concern is recovery, you would think they would be concerned that he is returning to the lifestyle that presumably helped to enable his addiction in the first place.

Beyond that, saw a guy earlier tweet a pretty good point: Recovery is a thing built on honesty, and there is nothing about this that reads as honest. Not on League's part, and definitely not on Faraci's.

This is not a healthy atmosphere in which to recover, if it starts with your support system hiding shit for you, and you accepting their cover for monetary gain.

edit: Looks like 24hrs of this shit was enough for Tim

MrpkvMo.jpg

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
That was pretty much the only way forward that wouldn't destroy Drafthouse.

stupei

I've disliked Devin for the way he acted on CHUD, and I never read his stuff after that. But as regards forgiveness and who has the right to give it or defend Devin, I really dislike the posts calling out female critics for defending him(at least that's how it reads). As if because they are female they should respond a certain way.

Nobody cares how they personally feel about him or if they extend personal forgiveness. That isn't the same as championing his rehiring as some kind of necessary step toward his healing process or suggesting that people who disagreed with it are in some way anti-sobriety or mental wellness all while sighing over "outrage culture," like it's all just twitter posturing to think that maybe sexual assault is more than a minor mishap and should be treated as such.

Nobody cares how his friends and family feel about him. Of course people who know him can decide how to proceed and how to feel going forward. Absolutely.

That has nothing to do with whether or not someone quickly returns to work after harming another person, as though nothing actually happened, especially after such a show was made about taking the issue seriously. Forgiveness for an individual does not mean you get to have your career back unquestioned or that people who might disagree with that are in some way "ganging up on" someone because they don't feel comfortable with handwaving a history of sexual misconduct.

I'm very glad to see Alamo has done the right thing, but it doesn't particularly make me feel better since they were so obviously backed into a corner to do so. I honestly feel gross thinking about how much money I've spent there since he would have been working for them; I don't want even a fraction of a cent paying for this permissive culture that allows this shit to continue unchecked.

Knowing Tim may have been involved with keeping other people quiet doesn't really make it seem like Faraci was the only problem. I'm not sure this fixes things.

Kinyou

From the Hollywood reporter-

So anonymous source says Faraci was working within the month of stepping down. Hmmm.
I believe in second chances but if this happened then it's all just bullshit and him stepping down was basically just a PR move.

Random Human

That statement is pretty much what I was expecting. It doesn't say they didn't know he was still working for Drafthouse, nor does it say they're unhappy he was. It feels like PR to let BMD escape backlash.

Top Bottom