• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim League of Alamo Drafthouse extends mercy to noted blogger/molester

killroy87

Fucking christ

Oh and assuming CABIN FEVER IS an Eli Roth reference.... I'm so shocked he's scum too... no I'm not.

Eli Roth being a massive douche would surprise exactly zero people on planet earth. Maybeee his mother, but she would needed to have lived a blissfully ignorant life.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Seems the house of cards is finally falling. Damn this is getting crazier by the day

Zaphrynn

A little chat between Harry and Eli just before the release of Cabin Fever...
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/16057

"This is definitely a film to finger your date during..."

Wow. Amazing that he willingly shared those chat logs with the world.

cfc3.jpg

cfc4.jpg

Besides being disgusting, these logs (that I can't even finish) are plain fucking pathetic.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Fucking christ

Oh and assuming CABIN FEVER IS an Eli Roth reference.... I'm so shocked he's scum too... no I'm not.

Eli Roth being a massive douche would surprise exactly zero people on planet earth. Maybeee his mother, but she would needed to have lived a blissfully ignorant life.

I've seen a few rumblings in various places since this broke that Roth is a huge creep, so it wouldn't surprise me if he's the next big name to fall.

edit: shit, I just read those chat logs

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Frankly, why should I believe that any of these filmmakers who have been tight with Knowles aren't creeps themselves or at least active enablers?

Slayven

Frankly, why should I believe that any of these filmmakers who have been tight with Knowles aren't creeps themselves or at least active enablers?

Just looking at the way he writes tells me he can't handle normal conversation.

You guys want a solid sense of how bad the wild west days used to be, consider that most of these examples of Harry's writing (and Roth's, apparently) were published openly, read by millions, and nobody really blinked.

Myself included.

People really ran with the notion that the internet "didn't count" and that things that happened on it "weren't really real" and that informed a lot of decisions being made by insecure men.

Still does. Just to a somewhat lesser degree.

You guys want a solid sense of how bad the wild west days used to be, consider that most of these examples of Harry's writing (and Roth's, apparently) were published openly, read by millions, and nobody really blinked.

Myself included.

People really ran with the notion that the internet "didn't count" and that things that happened on it "weren't really real" and that informed a lot of decisions being made by insecure men.

Makes me glad I was just a kid playing games on the Cartoon Network website.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

Myself included.

I mean, I'm not going to claim I've always been so judicious and willing to ensure my actions/clicks follow an ethical/moral heading, but even in high school when AICN was, I guess, in or approaching its peak, I learned real damn quick to ignore anything written by Knowles.

Yeah, nobody who visited AICN for longer than a week thought "oh yeah, Harry's reviews are what I'm checking for."

Talkbacks were asking for that guy to shut the fuck up and turn the site over to Drew/Jeremy the second they popped up. Was never gonna happen though.

I still think that, to some degree, Harry's playing Drafthouse patsy here. Not to say he's not as disgusting as he obviously is (and he obviously is, and was, and always was) but chucking this potato head sack of trash under the wheels really can't hurt, either. He's been an overgrown skin tag on the Austin community's ever-growing body for about a decade now.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
the The Square stunt sounds dumb

the ed wood movie seems like it's being blown out of proportion, considering that ~~~viral~~~ facebook post is from someone who didn't see the movie and several who have have come out to say the ire is misplaced:
https://twitter.com/annietown/status/912174191314685953

https://twitter.com/ArchivistAriel/status/912174676796833792

Choi also has a bunch of follow-up tweets about how it's very softcore and how positive its depiction of same-sex relationships is, and how much of that was contextualized at the screening.

Basically this seems totally misplaced and hasty but considering FF's inability to can scum like Knowles these kinds of side conflicts were bound to erupt.

I suspect no one is going to pay attention to the fact that the outrage was started by someone who was not there and is probably lying (Tim Hunt is on line 2).

Myself included.

The bolded is the underlying issue for a lot of the struggles we have. Whether it's bullying or speech or communication in general - we haven't figured out how to treat the online world compared to the physical world.

-griffy-

Banned

Myself included.

This is one of the things I'm taking away from all this. Seeing all these published AICN things brought forward, I must have read some of this shit back when I used to frequent the site, even if I don't remember it, and I either let it slide or just thought it was weird, put it off to the side and ignored it.

Makes me feel uncomfortable.

Not much of one. He says he's traveling around talking to his employees like that's some noble thing of him to do. A good business leader who actually cared would have been doing that all along.

I'm not sure what the point is in traveling around talking to people is anyway when Knowles was assaulting people right under his nose in Austin.

okdakor

these examples of Harry's writing (and Roth's, apparently) were published openly, read by millions, and nobody really blinked.

For the last 20 years, we just laugh it off... And maybe worse, speaking for myself, but when I think about my time browsing his site, the Harry's pieces that come first to my mind are the one where he's a creep. I don't think I'm the only one, the blade 2 review, the cheerleader, ... people were really quick to dig them up.
His legacy was a lewd one.

Nekofrog

Banned
How the hell can any employee enter into any kind of good faith relationship with Alamo Drafthouse as long as Tim is there? After all these people came forward and after everything we have been told.

berzeli

Banned
The weirdest thing is how Harry Knowles was ever a thing, even more so how he still was a thing these days. This article is from 2000:
The Trouble With Harry Knowles

Unfortunately it's not about him being a sexual predator. It's about how they didn't fact check things for AICN. Still shitting on Harry Knowles was quite a prolific sub genre of articles, there is a bunch of them linked (quite a few dead links) at the bottom of this Scott Weinberg take on AICN.

Watching Civil War in an Alamo Drafthouse for the first time was a fun experience when I was in Houston for the first time.

I'm not sad to say I won't be going back. Fuck this nonsense.

Decades of this and people coming up with these "sorry I got caught" non apologies.

Fuck outta here with that.

Looks like the Village Voice just published a post-mortem on this year's FF

https://www.villagevoice.com/2017/0...sorting-through-the-ashes-of-a-film-festival/

This is the paradox of Alamo Drafthouse and Fantastic Fest right now. I am essentially watching a company (and a community) implode and attempt to rebuild itself, better, in real time. Sometimes they are royally biffing and other times exceeding my expectations, and right up to the end it's been a wild ride of panic, anxiety, elation and movies, with no shortage of drama

Drafthouse is far bigger than Tim League. I’m not willing to throw its 4500 employees under the bus over his actions.

Who is doing that though? The organization's culture problem begins and ends with what the people at the top tolerate, and in doing so League is putting those employees at risk so if that's your concern here it's not against your wishes to call for change.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
So it looks like FilmCritHulk has left BMD over this. Technically he left weeks ago but it seems to only be coming out now.

Top Bottom