• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim League of Alamo Drafthouse extends mercy to noted blogger/molester

I was just interested in what it would take for you guys to give League a chance.

I think I am, but there are levels of openness in the offering of that benefit of the doubt, and I wouldn't be surprised if others are also being tentative about that chance being proffered. It doesn't mean it's not there, but it's also not all that free either. Especially considering the context surrounding the situation, and the actions taken up to this point.

Fox searchlight and that movie is a big one. What if other studios follow suit. God damn, what was that company thinking

Yeah, it's one thing for him to try to support Devin despite him being persona-non-grata'd out of the company and general community, but what really makes it WTF-worthy is how he went about it in a way that was obviously going to blow up in the face of him and his company at some point and escalate the Devin situation from a temporary embarrassment to what will maybe(and hopefully, TBH) be a company-ending disaster. Like, it's one thing to be an asshole, it's another thing to be a colossally stupid asshole. Was Devin blackmailing him or something?

nomis

21752275_1529751413738112_1557006096683071633_n.jpg

Oof.

UlgUvh.gif

“I survived Devin Faraci and all I got was this t-shirt and a PM from Tim League signed with “cheers!””

I think I am, but there are levels of openness in the offering of that benefit of the doubt, and I wouldn't be surprised if others are also being tentative about that chance being proffered. It doesn't mean it's not there, but it's also not all that free either. Especially considering the context surrounding the situation, and the actions taken up to this point.

You seem to be genuine in that... Which is absolutely fine. Trust has to be earned and re-earned.

It just appears that others aren't more so as any step taken by League now is thru a PR firm and League himself.

No one has to like Tim League or anything I just find it fascinating how people tend to move their goal posts all the time for something.

EDIT:

I mean look at this fine example... not only does Tim League need to suffer innumerably but the company also must come to an end!

Yeah, it's one thing for him to try to support Devin despite him being persona-non-grata'd out of the company and general community, but what really makes it WTF-worthy is how he went about it in a way that was obviously going to blow up in the face of him and his company at some point and escalate the Devin situation from a temporary embarrassment to what will maybe(and hopefully, TBH) be a company-ending disaster. Like, it's one thing to be an asshole, it's another thing to be a colossally stupid asshole. Was Devin blackmailing him or something?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
You seem to be genuine in that... Which is absolutely fine. Trust has to be earned and re-earned.

It just appears that others aren't more so as any step taken by League now is thru a PR firm and League himself.

No one has to like Tim League or anything I just find it fascinating how people tend to move their goal posts all the time for something.

EDIT:

I mean look at this fine example... not only does Tim League need to suffer innumerably but the company also must come to an end!

Man get off the high horse. We owe Tim nothing at all. This is entirely on him and its going to take more than some nice words to smooth this over.

Man get off the high horse. We owe Tim nothing at all. This is entirely on him and its going to take more than some nice words to smooth this over.

Ha. Now I'm on some kind of high horse because I think the phrase "_____ owes ____ nothing."

Its so overused and basically the worst kind of philosophy.

Like why even have such an idea as a worldview? It just sounds awful to me.

Essentially no one owes anyone anything... but we do the things we do hopefully for a better society... but yeah no one owes anyone anything. Like get off your high horse how about that?

In any case... I agree with you all essentially Tim will need to do more than just apologize to rectify the situation as he hurt a lot of people with this idiotic decision. But it seems like you just draw lines in the sand and that people who mostly agree with you but differ on their vitriol of the situation are just the enemies.

Todd Brown is doubling down on fb, saying that the latest apology rings phony and that underscores his need to leave. He also suggests the timing of the apology was to take advantage of the news cycle.

HariKari

but what really makes it WTF-worthy is how he went about it in a way that was obviously going to blow up in the face of him and his company at some point and escalate the Devin situation from a temporary embarrassment to what will maybe(and hopefully, TBH) be a company-ending disaster.

Guy makes horrible move, better hope all of his employees lose their jobs. Get the fuck out of here. Put pressure on League to step down, that's it. Don't go cheering for the demise of Alamo Drafthouse over one asshole.

HStallion

Ha. Now I'm on some kind of high horse because I think the phrase "_____ owes ____ nothing."

Its so overused and basically the worst kind of philosophy.

Like why even have such an idea as a worldview? It just sounds awful to me.

Essentially no one owes anyone anything... but we do the things we do hopefully for a better society... but yeah no one owes anyone anything. Like get off your high horse how about that?

In any case... I agree with you all essentially Tim will need to do more than just apologize to rectify the situation as he hurt a lot of people with this idiotic decision. But it seems like you just draw lines in the sand and that people who mostly agree with you but differ on their vitriol of the situation are just the enemies.

Yeesh just stick to the tone policing

Yeesh just stick to the tone policing

Ohhhh nice edit. What you didn't want to come off as doing a strong arm on philosophy or something?

Now I'm policing huh? Which is it? Am I acting like the police in here or am I sitting on my high horse feeling smug?

lol. gtfo.

Oh god. Plz. Seriously you post something about Todd Brown saying something... I go to his facebook and it's not there. Your proof is that it's on someones facebook but not his but you don't remember. Jesus at least follow the fuck up with your proof. At least get a screen grab.

It's not my fault you can't do something that easy. Remember I owe you nothing.

lol.

I get your skepticism and expected as much. I was scrolling through fb and saw the past about an hour ago. Only now wanted to update the thread. Now can't find the post. We have too many friends in common for me to narrow it down.

Oh well.

EDIT: But maybe relax a little. Stuff like "I owe you nothing" is like wut.

I think we're getting to the counterproductive part here, Pooh.

It's coming across less like concern for League/Drafthouse and more like you're just kinda upset at people behaving in a way you think is unfair. Like, it's not even so much about this specific event anymore, so much as it is the general concept of forgiveness and internet overreaction and so on and so forth.

HStallion

Ohhhh nice edit. What you didn't want to come off as doing a strong arm on philosophy or something?

Now I'm policing huh? Which is it? Am I acting like the police in here or am I sitting on my high horse feeling smug?

Read that back to yourself and you tell me

lol.

I get your skepticism and expected as much. I was scrolling through fb and saw the past about an hour ago. Only now wanted to update the thread. Now can't find the post. We have too many friends in common for me to narrow it down.

Oh well.

Haha it's fine. I'll believe you. I just would like to see it.

Read that back to yourself and you tell me

So you can't even engage in a discussion. Nice to know. Brah.

Foggy

I try not to put too much stock in how phony or not phony League's apology is. I've heard plenty of people apologize(myself included) for unforgivable things and the enormity of the issue combined with the self-loathing that comes with it can make you come across as insincere. That's just amplified further when it's just a tweet or a post or whatever.

Like that stuff about seeing them not as victims but as survivors could be any measure of him playing the progressive part, him genuinely believing it, him parrotting something someone told him and him trying to relate(awkward as it is), or whatever. Fact is, it's out there, he no longer has any sway over what happens, and he's gotta own it. He said the "right thing" last time and it was clearly empty. If his reputation and by extension Austin Alamo, Mondo, and BMD's can ever be repaired, who knows how long that'll be.

Aaron

This motherfucker, survivor?

Nah they were a victim. You use survivor because it makes you feel better, you don't get to co-opt that word, ya pretentious prick.
Yeah, any sympathy I had for Tim League went out the window at the end of that quote. He doesn't give a fuck who was hurt by his choices.

Yeah, any sympathy I had for Tim League went out the window at the end of that quote. He doesn't give a fuck who was hurt by his choices.

This motherfucker is stupid. He does not need to employ Faraci. There are probably hundreds that would love to be in Faracis position, even if it is writing blurbs. Instead he's ready to watch the Alamo Drafthouse(Which I have heard many good things about) collapse over his own..what is it? Stupidity? Ignorance? Stubborness?

And then he says shit like 'I PREFER TO USE THE WORD SURVIVOR' and it's like fuck off, that's minimizing what the victims went through. "I have cancer" "I prefer to use the term sad cells"

I want to punch him over that stupid ass comment.

Foggy

This motherfucker is stupid. He does not need to employ Faraci. There are probably hundreds that would love to be in Faracis position, even if it is writing blurbs. Instead he's ready to watch the Alamo Drafthouse(Which I have heard many good things about) collapse over his own..what is it? Stupidity? Ignorance? Stubborness?

And then he says shit like 'I PREFER TO USE THE WORD SURVIVOR' and it's like fuck off, that's minimizing what the victims went through. "I have cancer" "I prefer to use the term sad cells"

I want to punch him over that stupid ass comment.

I think the idea is that calling them a survivor restores some agency to someone who was a victim...or something to that effect. Like I'm sure he read/heard from someone who parsed the words that way and he's repeating it. It just goes to show that with the position that he's in and how his own actions have tainted everything that he can't say anything that will make any of it better. He needs to step away and put safeguards in place for his employees, because at this point, why on earth would any female employee feel comfortable working under his Alamo umbrella?

I think the idea is that calling them a survivor restores some agency to someone who was a victim...or something to that effect. Like I'm sure he read/heard from someone who parsed the words that way and he's repeating it. It just goes to show that with the position that he's in and how his own actions have tainted everything that he can't say anything that will make any of it better. He needs to step away and put safeguards in place for his employees, because at this point, why on earth would any female employee feel comfortable working under his Alamo umbrella?

Yeah, it feels like he heard an actual victim call themselves that, and then decided to co-opt it without understanding how it's used? He uses it to waive away comments of 'Oh I prefer survivor instead of victim' when accused of not taking the victims into consideration.

It's like...survivor is a term that a survivor can use and/or friends and family of that person. The way League is using it, is to waive criticism WHILST putting himself on a conceited pedestal. "You know, that's actually messed up you don't take into consideration the victims feelings" "Well excuse me, I use the term survivor, ok? Not victim!"

Yeah, it feels like he heard an actual victim call themselves that, and then decided to co-opt it without understanding how it's used? He uses it to waive away comments of 'Oh I prefer survivor instead of victim' when accused of not taking the victims into consideration.

It's like...survivor is a term that a survivor can use and/or friends and family of that person. The way League is using it, is to waive criticism WHILST putting himself on a conceited pedestal. "You know, that's actually messed up you don't take into consideration the victims feelings" "Well excuse me, I use the term survivor, ok? Not victim!"

And he apologized in private to them so is that not taking into consideration?

Just curious here.

Just curious here.

I mean, rehiring the guy who harassed them definitely isn't being considerate to those victims. 'Sorry he harassed you.' *Turns around* 'Faraci you're rehired, I like the cut of your jib!'

I mean, rehiring the guy who harassed/assaulted them definitely isn't being considerate.

Agreed it was stupid, idiotic, and insensitive to those that were affected by Faraci.

But I thought we were discussing after the fact.

Im aware that Tim League has a lot of trust to earn back.

Agreed it was stupid, idiotic, and insensitive to those that were affected by Faraci.

But I thought we were discussing after the fact.

Im aware that Tim League has a lot of trust to earn back.

To me, it's his latest response that seems vapid and ignorant. He sounds like he really wants to keep Faraci on despite it being very bad for business and his continued defending of Faraci is like

What are you doing man

What is this

You're a business man

You are doing things bad for business

All in the meanwhile making troubling comments

It baffles me that he has such loyalty for Faraci. Which makes me question how the heck he got to be CEO. What set me off though, was the image posted above, where he corrects the other person 'I prefer using survivors instead of victims'. It set me off because not only was it in response to a legitimate worry, but at the same time he's belittling the other person for his wordage whilst putting himself on a pedestal of superiority with his correction. Like he's better than the other person because he uses different terms. Like, fuck off, I hate people like that.

To me, it's his latest response that seems vapid and ignorant. He sounds like he really wants to keep Faraci on despite it being very bad for business and his continued defending of Faraci is like

What are you doing man

What is this

You're a business man

You are doing things bad for business

All in the meanwhile making troubling comments

It baffles me that he has such loyalty for Faraci. Which makes me question how the heck he got to be CEO.

Well that's a whole thing of how he became CEO... but he did found Alamo Drafthouse so that was was part of the reason he is current CEO.

Like I said earlier I think Tim runs things a little too much like the Alamo of the old days when it was just his three sites in Austin... he makes personal close relationships with people and obviously that can bite him in the ass when he shows loyalty.

I still think he is up to the task to fix this mess but it could be the breaking point of him not being CEO of Alamo anymore. But even if that were to happen he would still personally own a good amount of Alamos.

Foggy

Just curious here.

What's the value of a sincere apology when his original response to the Faraci stuff was "sincere"? He did the right thing and said the right thing up until he undid it by doing the wrong thing and saying the wrong thing. It's all been soured.

What's the value of a sincere apology when his original response to the Faraci stuff was "sincere"? He did the right thing and said the right thing up until he undid it by doing the wrong thing and saying the wrong thing. It's all been soured.

That's the quandary we find ourselves in.

I get people have different levels of when they should trust someone again.

But I think he's doing the right things and moving in the right direction. He's not there yet but I think Tim is capable of doing it.

What I originally asked in the thread was what else besides Tim League stepping down would you be satisfied with. If there was any alternative.

Foggy

That's the quandary we find ourselves in.

I get people have different levels of when they should trust someone again.

But I think he's doing the right things and moving in the right direction. He's not there yet but I think Tim is capable of doing it.

What I originally asked in the thread was what else besides Tim League stepping down would you be satisfied with. If there was any alternative.

No idea, but I'm not the sort of person vulnerable to the betrayal of trust.

Aaron

Except he's yet to do the right thing. Tim League hired this tainted employee back in secret, and only owned up to it when he had no choice. Even when the whole mess exploded, he didn't fire the guy. The molester left on his own. He claims remorse and pulls holier than thou bullshit in the very same comment. I've yet to see a single glimmer he's learned anything about this situation at all.

Him stepping down as CEO would be good, but it won't happen for the aforementioned reasons. In Mr. League's mind, he did a bro a favor, and is getting persecuted for giving someone a second chance. I bet Tim thinks he's a victim here... I'm sorry 'survivor.'

Except he's yet to do the right thing. Tim League hired this tainted employee back in secret, and only owned up to it when he had no choice. Even when the whole mess exploded, he didn't fire the guy. The molester left on his own. He claims remorse and pulls holier than thou bullshit in the very same comment. I've yet to see a single glimmer he's learned anything about this situation at all.

Him stepping down as CEO would be good, but it won't happen for the aforementioned reasons. In Mr. League's mind, he did a bro a favor, and is getting persecuted for giving someone a second chance. I bet Tim thinks he's a victim here... I'm sorry 'survivor.'

Maybe. Time will tell tho.

That's where I'm at

Faraci is gone

And then League made some stupid ass comments instead of owning up to his mistake. And then he makes more comments and belittles others to feel superior. This person sucks.

That's where I'm at

Faraci is gone

And then League made some stupid ass comments instead of owning up to his mistake. And then he makes more comments and belittles others to feel superior. This person sucks.

See Bobby Roberts... as I have said goal post moving.

You literally just described what it would take and I said that had already happened but you just want to be mad to keep being mad.

Top Bottom