• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim Sweeney: MS plans to make Steam 'progressively worse' & buggy via Win10 updates

John Wick

Wut? You are attempting to draw a rather rediculous parallel here. What I'm saying is people who make drivers, knew, thanks to official statements, that this day was coming for a year and a half. Nothing changed "overnight".

This thread is about MS flipping a switch and destroying everything that allows a 3rd party marketplace to thrive. Hardly comparable.

What????
Do you think MS are stupid???
They aren't going to flip a switch overnight. The process will be slow and meticulously planned. The wool will be literally pulled over your eyes.

Trup1aya

What????
Do you think MS are stupid???
They aren't going to flip a switch overnight. The process will be slow and meticulously planned. The wool will be literally pulled over your eyes.

You need to read the conversation we've been having before commenting to me. The "overnight" term was brought up by the person I was talking to.

It would be roadmaps for Windows/DX/Xbox or something and by staying as vague as he does I can't imagine that he violates anything. He doesn't even claim do know anything and there's no *nudge, nudge, wink, wink* happening.

If he was on a crusade he surely would claim inside knowledge to backup his stuff.

Except he is anything but vague.

"Microsoft wants to monopolise game development on PC" -Tim Sweeney

"Slowly, over the next five years, they will force-patch Windows 10 to make Steam progressively worse and more broken. They’ll never completely break it, but will continue to break it until, in five years, people are so fed up that Steam is buggy that the Windows Store seems like an ideal alternative." - Tim Sweeney

There's no way an NDA wouldn't cover making comments like this.

He IS on a crusade. But it's all based on speculation.

Sloane

Banned
Also some Windows annoyances from this new update:

- All the apps I removed are back
- MS Edge and Win Store are back on my taskbar
- I initially found 6 apps had changed privacy settings as soon as I returned post-update, a few hours later now and there are now 17 more apps that have been added with privacy settings I have to change from my preferred options.
- "Get Office" and "One Note" apps have returned, despite the fact I have Office 2016. The two One Notes now seem to conflict with eachother. Hopefully removing the more recent will fix that, which I'll try now.
- AAC files can not be set to itunes as the default app (bizarrely). Groove is the default, and I can only seem to change it to VLC. iTunes has been the home of my AAC files for years. No idea what is going on
Ha, same here. Also, my wallpaper is gone, and Steam doesn't load properly. Nice.

TBiddy

Before the manufacturers were told to have the option to disable secure boot in bios. Now that feature is optional.

This has been the case for almost 1½ year. How many have removed that option?

Not really, if you assume the time to pass cert with a driver is roughly commensurate with the time to pass cert with a software patch.
They both have to go cert for the same reason, and cert is looking for the same things in either case.

e:
Like I've said a bunch of times; it doesn't actually matter if there is malicious intent, or its just happy coincidence in MS favour if the end results are the same.

The end results aren't the same. Microsoft doesn't gain anything for making a small minority of people wait two weeks (or whatever) before they can upgrade their GPU drivers.

Also some Windows annoyances from this new update:

- "Get Office" and "One Note" apps have returned, despite the fact I have Office 2016. The two One Notes now seem to conflict with eachother. Hopefully removing the more recent will fix that, which I'll try now.
- AAC files can not be set to itunes as the default app (bizarrely). Groove is the default, and I can only seem to change it to VLC. iTunes has been the home of my AAC files for years. No idea what is going on

I don't have the "Get Office" anywhere, and I can easily set iTunes as default player for AAC files.

Three

This has been the case for almost 1½ year. How many have removed that option?
It was reintroduced in windows 10. Several actually but again that wasn't the point was it. The point was the certification even extends to the OS you can run on some hardware.

TBiddy

It was reintroduced in windows 10. Several actually but again that wasn't the point was it. The point was the certification even extends to the OS you can run on some hardware.

I'm not really following you. English isn't my first language, so I'm unsure what you're trying to say here.

Three

I'm not really following you. English isn't my first language, so I'm unsure what you're trying to say here.

What I'm trying to say is they are trying to lock down hardware in much the same way and they have done so already with the introduction of Windows 10 and continue to make those restrictions tighter and tighter. I'm trying to say that several manufacturers have already got rid of the option and that it has become increasingly difficult for people to boot another OS whether that is a complete restriction on some of the laptops out there or having to jump through hoops on others. Hardware restrictions are becoming more and more problematic because MS is slowly introducing them.

Just a week ago they even did this for drivers

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/wi...r-signing-changes-in-windows-10-version-1607/

Slowly the PC is becoming like mobiles more and more locked.

There was a lot of bloatware installed with this update to remove and lots of privacy setting changes that I can see... not to mention, it seems to have reinstalled my video driver as part of the upgrade process without asking and all my NVIDIA game profiles were reset. Not happy. How hard is it to not fuck with things?

Oh, and it put Edge back on the taskbar thinking that I would use it. So far the best word I can think of to describe this update is "unnecessary"

Steam works fine on my end after update.

Same here. Nothing has changed. Steam has worked as well as it always has.

Take that statement as it reads.

Wow it's already happening? Looks like Win7 is the last MS OS I'll ever be using

No, it's not already happening. There's a lot of hysteria and paranoia in this thread over nothing. Microsoft is not going to sabotage Steam. That is absolutely ridiculous.

I've been in the Insider Preview program for Windows 10 for over a year, testing all the new builds and updates, and there is no sign whatsoever that Microsoft is making Steam "progressively worse" and/or buggy.

No sign. At all.

CHC

Certain games are getting Steam Error Code 2 after installation, preventing the first time setup from being run and rendering the games unusable for the time being. Civilization V and Total War Shogun 2 are both beset by this - can't fully install them right now. Many users on each games respective discussion board are reporting this today.

Seems like it has to do with security privileges because the previous fix involves resetting the "Users" settings in the Steam directory's security tab. That no longer works.

Doubt it's deliberate but a fuckup nonetheless. Had to get a crack to play my legit Steam copy of Shogun 2 today

:-/

Nzyme32

I don't have the "Get Office" anywhere, and I can easily set iTunes as default player for AAC files.

How? It literally isn't possible. I even reinstalled Windows 10 and the issue remains. You can play AAC in iTunes, but it can not be set as the default player for AAC since the file extension can not be associated with iTunes. It can be associated with several other applications, such as VLC as I've mentioned (Groove being highlighted as recommended, and the default application off the bat)

This is all the extensions itunes is able to use:

4UknDPp.png

Also the desktop version of the defualt apps program is obfuscated now, as the Windows search bar will not show it unless you instead search for the control panel and find it manually. All you are shown if you do search for it, is the UWP style version, which is so poorly laid out for managing extensions that it is hard to organise them.

Unknown?

Even if this was the plan, gamers and support would just move to Mac and Linux. Businesses won't switch but gamers don't care if they can get support elsewhere. Linux has made big strides in gaming recently.

How? It literally isn't possible. I even reinstalled Windows 10 and the issue remains. You can play AAC in iTunes, but it can not be set as the default player for AAC since the file extension can not be associated with iTunes. It can be associated with several other applications, such as VLC as I've mentioned (Groove being highlighted as recommended, and the default application off the bat)

You're sure about that, are you?

VocSoqX.png

Certain games are getting Steam Error Code 2 after installation, preventing the first time setup from being run and rendering the games unusable for the time being. Civilization V and Total War Shogun 2 are both beset by this - can't fully install them right now. Many users on each games respective discussion board are reporting this today.

Seems like it has to do with security privileges because the previous fix involves resetting the "Users" settings in the Steam directory's security tab. That no longer works.

Doubt it's deliberate but a fuckup nonetheless. Had to get a crack to play my legit Steam copy of Shogun 2 today

:-/

It's not the first time setup because I have the same issue with Shogun 2 and I played it on wednesday.

And some games are working just fine like Rise of the Tomb Raider or Batman Telltale

Edit : And Total Warhammer is working too.

So my guess is there is an issue with Steam server regarding DRM since both Rise and Total Warhammer are using Denuvo

Edit 2 : It has been fixed!

Oh for tits sake, am I just stuck in the past. Is it m4a now? Why is aac listed for other applications and why is that conflicting with explorer?

The file extension for iTunes music has never been .aac

It's always been either .m4p (for DRM-enabled files) or .m4a (for DRM-free files).

AAC is the compression format/codec, not the file extension.

Nzyme32

The file extension for iTunes music has never been .aac

It's always been either .m4p (for DRM-enabled files) or .m4a (for DRM-free files).

AAC is the compression format/codec, not the file extension.

That isn't what seems to be happening for me, they open in different places unless I directly use itunes. Example

p1SOgqL.png

LordRaptor

Just as a power user FYI, you can still shift+right click literally any file, select Open With... and then set default application from there.

LordRaptor

You don't need to hold down Shift. A right-click will reveal the Open With option.

Maybe they changed it for W10.
You used to have to use shift for contextual right click menu, so that's how I've always done it when programs written by dickheads force grab all my file associations without asking.

Just from a professional side of the argument, if they went to apps only it would be a nightmare. I'm all for being wary of big companies bit this is a bit too far.

CHC

It's not the first time setup because I have the same issue with Shogun 2 and I played it on wednesday.

And some games are working just fine like Rise of the Tomb Raider or Batman Telltale

Edit : And Total Warhammer is working too.

So my guess is there is an issue with Steam server regarding DRM since both Rise and Total Warhammer are using Denuvo

Edit 2 : It has been fixed!

Yep it's resolved! Obviously on error on someone else's end.

Dambrosi

Banned
I can't believe this thread is even going still. Tinfoil hats everywhere.

Or is it now just an "I'm having problems with Steam and I'm blaming Microsoft because reasons" thread?

I don't know which is worse, to be honest.

*no offense to the people posting in this thread, but you do understand where I'm coming from, right? I mean, complain all you want about the Anniversary Update - I've got plenty of complaints myself - but don't blame MS for Valve's failings, hm?

Trup1aya

I can't believe this thread is even going still. Tinfoil hats everywhere.

Or is it now just an "I'm having problems with Steam and I'm blaming Microsoft because reasons" thread?

I don't know which is worse, to be honest.

*no offense to the people posting in this thread, but you do understand where I'm coming from, right? I mean, complain all you want about the Anniversary Update - I've got plenty of complaints myself - but don't blame MS for Valve's failings, hm?

Just about every software update in the history of updates has brought bugs with it. That's just the nature of the business.

But since Tim is alleging that MS plans to cripple Steam through Updates, then any gaming related issue is going to look like a fulfilled prophecy.

lazygecko

Firefox suddenly feels really slow to me, like it constantly freezes for almost a second every time I load a new page. This thread has made me really paranoid over it.

gamz

Firefox suddenly feels really slow to me, like it constantly freezes for almost a second every time I load a new page. This thread has made me really paranoid over it.

Paranoid over what? Reinstall it.

All browsers have been buggy since it's inception.

Dambrosi

Banned
Just about every software update in the history of updates has brought bugs with it. That's just the nature of the business.

But since Tim is alleging that MS plans to cripple Steam through Updates, then any gaming related issue is going to look like a fulfilled prophecy.
True dat. Sweeney just created more distrust and anxiety in a year and a political climate where both are in rapidly declining supply. If Microsoft didn't have form for this sort of behaviour before, I'd say Sweeney was telling porky-pies.

But you have to remember that MS got caught doing this, and fined hugely for it, a few times before. They're not going to just start this shit again with the EU and the US Government breathing down their necks.

LordRaptor

But you have to remember that MS got caught doing this, and fined hugely for it, a few times before. They're not going to just start this shit again with the EU and the US Government breathing down their necks.

This assumes companies with a history of corporate malfeasance are less likely to continue acting in such a manner once caught doing so than companies that have never acted unethically.

Which isn't actually true.
In the same way that criminals once caught and punished are still going to have a higher chance of recidivism than someone who has never committed a crime.

Especially given MS continue to believe the things they have been punished for weren't actually wrong in the first place.

Durante

Just from a professional side of the argument, if they went to apps only it would be a nightmare. I'm all for being wary of big companies bit this is a bit too far.
As has been mentioned many times, gradually incentivizing UWP and disincentivizing Win32 for end-user development never needs to touch backwards compatibility for professional/corporate Win32 programs at all.
And it is, in fact, already happening.

mcrommert

Banned
Well this certainly has happened to me. The taskbar stuff is a mild inconvenience, but the apps is annoying as hell. Skype is now installed and auto logs in throwing notifications at me, so I have to sign out and delete the thing - again. Other new additions / re-eneabled background apps include 3dbuilder, connect, contact support, feedback hub, films and TV, get office, get started, messaging, edge, microsoft wifi, money, news, one note, paid wifi & mobile, people, phone, photos, skype preview, sway, twitter, voice recorder. Skype, messaging and twitter also activated the "let apps access my contacts" setting, which I switched off prior.

On topic of Steam, I have tearing when scrolling, BPM seems to think I've never used it before, and that's about it

Someone should just write a powershell script for those that need to do this twice a year after the feature updates

jelly

True dat. Sweeney just created more distrust and anxiety in a year and a political climate where both are in rapidly declining supply. If Microsoft didn't have form for this sort of behaviour before, I'd say Sweeney was telling porky-pies.

Not really, oversight of Microsoft ended years ago. It's why they are quite bold now because getting pulled up on it isn't instant a big deal in the beginning.

This might be a daft question but with the way technology is moving could most things be App based no matter the device you're on in say 10, 15 years time?

jelly

This might be a daft question but with the way technology is moving could most things be App based no matter the device you're on in say 10, 15 years time?

Not everything but most things probably. I wish things didn't need an account though. If you could download apps without that layer of integration, a choice. That's just another bad thing.

Thanks for the replies guys. Is this Microsoft not just them trying to get ahead of the curve or at least to a level playing field with Google and Apple then?

I totally get why a PC enthusiast is upset at the thought of control being taken away but isn't this just inevitable with the way things are going?

So it seems the Xbox One controller is broken for a number of Win32 games since the latest update, but fine for UWP

I also have screen tearing when scrolling through games on steam now as well.
Do you have adaptive v-sync enabled globally in Nvidia control panel by any chance? Add a rule to set it to 'application controlled' for the exe. I have to do this for Chrome or I get tearing.

thenameDS

Only thing the update did for me was change my background, but that might have happened because I no longer have the original image saved on my PC locally. Also had to re-sync my Xbox Elite controller to the wireless adapter.

No Edge on my desktop or taskbar
None of my default apps/programs were changed
No get Skype or get office

jelly

Nothing wrong with an App Store but why does it have to follow Apple and Google so closely, can't they do it better without taking control away or forcing it. An ecosystem battle when they offer the same thing, no wonder they are getting nowhere.

Durante

I totally get why a PC enthusiast is upset at the thought of control being taken away but isn't this just inevitable with the way things are going?
I don't think it's inevitable -- computers are luckily still different from primarily consumption devices like cell phones, tablets and consoles. I do think we have to fight to retain control.

StereoVsn

As has been mentioned many times, gradually incentivizing UWP and disincentivizing Win32 for end-user development never needs to touch backwards compatibility for professional/corporate Win32 programs at all.
And it is, in fact, already happening.
Even worse if MS completely pulls Win32 support in say 5 years from Win10 Home, corporate users won't care since it's all Pro/Ent/Edu editions.

I don't think it's inevitable -- computers are luckily still different from primarily consumption devices like cell phones, tablets and consoles. I do think we have to fight to retain control.

I think for MS OS the control will go away, maybe leaving some options on Server/Ent end. So it's going to have to be Linux (since Apple is even worse) or much more expensive OS versions from MS (you can't even get Ent without MS EA).

JaggedSac

Given hardware sales for pcs. Yes. MS is trying to stay relevant in a world where Windows is increasingly irrelevant.

ps3ud0

What is the functional difference between an App and a standard application? It feels like people already working with definitions on how they differ.

Ive always just considered an App something that comes from mobile/tablet store (perhaps packaged into a single executable?), anything after seems a grey area...

ps3ud0 8)

I know it's not exactly the same but isn't it like the music industry where you had vinyl to cassette to CD to streaming? Technology moves on and platforms and hardware are left behind? I don't mean for that to sound as brutal as it might be,

We will all be streaming games from our toaster in 50 years time :)

Top Bottom