• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim Sweeney: MS plans to make Steam 'progressively worse' & buggy via Win10 updates

Durante

The main reason competing middleware is thriving on Windows is due to DoJs very strict and close surveillance of the MS business practices. Yes, I've worked for a browser manufacturer and been in meeting with DoJ (represented by The Technical Committee) and VP-level Microsoft people where the DoJ explicitly asked us if we've been given all the information needed from MS to be able to compete with them. I have no doubt that if DoJ (and EU) didn't do this, Microsoft would do whatever they could to block competing middleware.
Your personal experience as someone directly involved in the proceedings isn't surprising to me, but it might be to other participants in this thread.

Really don't like that. That's shady. Although the media thing I understand, as it's depreciated these days.
Huh? MPC-HC is the best media player on Windows, and it's under active development.

Skoen

Why are some of you even defending Microsoft on this one? They have a long shady history of doing exactly what Tim talks about?

On the other hand I will never ever get surprised by people blindly and ignorantly defending corporations.

For being an enthusiast forum it is waaaay to filled to the brim with ignorant idiots...

gamz

How the hell would MS even make it a closed OS. There's like a billion business programs that runs on it.

TBiddy

Why are some of you even defending Microsoft on this one? They have a long shady history of doing exactly what Tim talks about?

On the other hand I will never ever get surprised by people blindly and ignorantly defending corporations.

For being an enthusiast forum it is waaaay to filled to the brim with ignorant idiots...

There's a difference between defending Microsoft and pointing out that Tim Sweeney is going off on a tangent here. When was the last time Microsoft actively destroyed a competitors program via Windows Updates?

LordRaptor

How the hell would MS even make it a closed OS. There's like a billion business programs that runs on it.

Step 1: you describe Win32 as 'legacy' support (has already happened)
Step 2: you do not provide features in newer API revisions for Win32 (has already happened)
Step 3: you make legacy code support a Pro only feature and remove access in Home editions of Windows (LOLLOLOLOLOLOL TINFOIL HATZ)

JaggedSac

"No prophet is accepted in his own town." - Book of Sweeney 4:86

Wake up sheeple. One day your Steam will be slow as syrupy molasses. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow. Perhaps not next year. Or maybe even the year after that. But you can count on it.

Linux is shining bright as a beacon of hope, let Vulkan be your guide. Lead the sheeple to the promised land, devs will follow in your wake.

Arkanius

Step 2: you do not provide features in newer API revisions for Win32 (has already happened)
Step 3: you make legacy code support a Pro only feature and remove access in Home editions of Windows (LOLLOLOLOLOLOL TINFOIL HATZ)

More likely than you think if the adoption of UWP goes according to Microsoft projections.

Beartruck

On one hand I believe Microsoft is just underhanded enough to try this. At the same time, it's just going to drive people away from windows 10, not steam.

Admodieus

Valve saw this as a possibility during the Windows 8 launch - that's why they threw resources behind Steam OS and started the Steam Machine initiative. Sure, both have marginal traction right now, but if Microsoft ever tried this, invested PC gamers would migrate to Steam OS en masse.

gamz

Please. No way in the world every company is going to convert their programs.

LordRaptor

Please. No way in the world every company is going to convert their programs.

They don't need to, they just need to purchase the more expensive Corporate Edition of Windows that they likely need to be purchasing anyway.

For gamers, they are then left with the choice of not having access to their library of games, not getting newer versions of windows and associated new revisions of things like directx, or having to buy corporate editions of Windows at the $200 price point.

e:
This is literally what happened with DOS game support from Win98SE onwards; luckily people that aren't MS created DOSBOX and we didn't just lose a generation of Pc games.

Arkanius

Valve saw this as a possibility during the Windows 8 launch - that's why they threw resources behind Steam OS and started the Steam Machine initiative. Sure, both have marginal traction right now, but if Microsoft ever tried this, invested PC gamers would migrate to Steam OS en masse.

Gaben always said SteamOS and Linux is the industry "Break free from jail" card.
Valve already has the system in place, and most of their games ported. If they want to get serious with it, they will, but now they are letting it slowly gain steam (pun not intended).

I would love if the industry adopted Vulkan and moved to Linux en masse to be honest. And let DX9 and before get WINE bottled.

mitchman

Gold Member
Windows is an open system, which is why it's popular. The competitors applications exists because it's an open system (or in the case of browsers, because of a DoJ-ruling).
The DoJ case was not restricted just to browsers, but to all middleware competing with software included with Windows. Browsers and media players are certainly the most popular competing middleware, sure.

m_dorian

I am really worried about my gaming future and i dislike the (what appears to be a) fact that MS plays the role of the villain in this.

I hope Sweeney is wrong.

JaggedSac

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...f/27eaff6f-d373-4718-91fd-c2822d82ced5?auth=1

We’ve seen behavior by some apps that have set themselves as default in unsupported ways by deleting or corrupting registry settings. Details on supported methods for apps to register file associations can be found on MSDN here.  Update KB3135173 for Windows addresses the problem and resets application defaults to the initial Windows settings when registry settings are deleted or corrupted.  We have worked with some of these app providers so the apps no longer exhibit this behavior in their latest versions.  If a user proactively changes their default app settings using the supported method, the registry won’t be corrupted and those user settings are retained.

Zero evidence. How about Windows stealing file associations and conveniently giving them back to Microsoft apps which allow them to pedal you other products? What about making I'm near impossible to uninstall applications like One Drive and Windows Defender? What about helpfully suggesting you should use THEIR web browser. Its EXACLTY the same shit they pulled in the past

Sweeney says MS is currently deliberately breaking Steam on Windows 10, and that these (probably illegal) actions are visible. I don't want to hear about MS's actions in the 90s, I lived through and am well aware of them, I don't want to argue about whether the MS of today should be able to advertise their other products to users, I want some sort of evidence backing up what Sweeney is claiming is happening right this minute. How is Steam being sabotaged in Windows 10?

Because this is the first I've heard of it, and I certainly haven't experienced it myself, and none of my friends or family have mentioned this happening to them either. None of this means it hasn't happened, this is just my personal experience, and perhaps those legendarily fast coders at Valve are just fixing Steam so fast we don't even notice (this is a joke). But when you make an extraordinary claim like Sweeney is doing here then any fair, technically-minded person is going to ask for some evidence before they start spreading the fear along.

I wonder if many of the more insulting GAF posts here are from people who didn't manage to make it past the (misleading) headline.

Thanks I guess.
And what's your point?

Or is it just a childish 'all corporations are bad'?

And yes Sweeney is just embarrassing himself imo.

MaulerX

That first page... yeesh.

Good to at least see SOME people know their history.

Those who defend MS in all their ignorance saying things like "they would never", come off to me like people who try to disprove a plausible hypothesis presented by a (let's say) Neil Degrasse Tyson saying there might be alien life on Earth.

"DUHR, alien life on Earth, what is this, Men In Black?"

At least listen to the man who does this for a living at the highest level, successfully. MAYBE there's something going on that you don't know of, some reason, some history...

But no, don't research or read up or take the time to see things from a different perspective, go with the gut feeling of "DERP ILLUMINATI CRAZY PERSON."

I hoped we were mostly past the whole 'looking down on intelligence'-thing, especially on a gaming forum, but I guess occasions like these are perfect for that 'nice' human trait to rear its head.

I don't know how having the opinion that he's coming across as paranoid and having an agenda = you don't know or forgot MS's history. You can be fully aware of MS's history and still think Sweeney is coming across as being paranoid. There's nothing wrong with that Imo.

LordRaptor

I want some sort of evidence backing up what Sweeney is claiming is happening right this minute. How is Steam being sabotaged in Windows 10?

Trigger Rumble with the Xbox One controller is not supported by any win32 application, it is only available via DX12 in UWA format programs.
Therefore if you consider trigger rumble a desirable feature, you will never have that feature via Steam.

That's an example of a deliberate hamstringing of Win32.

Here's an example of a possibly accidental hamstringing of Steam in particular;
All Steam community features use overlays.
UWAs do not support overlays.
No Steam community features work anymore when playing a UWA title.

So in 5 years time Steam with be a buggy piece of crap, and if it isn't it's because Microsoft were too incompetent to sabotage it correctly?

Sounds a bit too conspiracy-theorist to me.

Gattsu25

Banned
I don't if they'd do it this way, but they have form for this kind of thing. Going back a long way (DOS ain't done 'til Lotus won't run) or the new Windows 10 warning that pops up if you're using Chrome or Firefox to say they're power inefficient and you should use Edge:

chrome_battery_windows_10_tip.jpg

Yikes, I read about this but never saw the notification.

StereoVsn

People are surprisingly blind to this shit. All MS needs to do is make DirectX progressively worse on Win10 for Win32 to enable a lot of the shit that is being discussed in the OP.

That doesn't mess with vast majority of their Corp customers but will make gaming on non UWP platforms (GoG, Steam, Origin, Ubisoft, etc...) progressively worse. And yes, MS can deprecate older APIs.

As far as competitors MS have done this to? There are many in the business line Netscape, Novell, etc... MS is notorious for taking public APIs and making them just enough different for 3rd party shit not to work or work badly. Heck, Kerberos is a good example that wasn't truly fixed till Server 2008 R2 I think. Even now they take SAML 2.0 and put some proprietary shit in their ADFS model.

So yeah, I can absolutely see MS trying to pull this one. It would really be targetting closed system Apple-Google like model with UWP. Gaming would be just a drive by.

Skoen

There's a difference between defending Microsoft and pointing out that Tim Sweeney is going off on a tangent here. When was the last time Microsoft actively destroyed a competitors program via Windows Updates?

There is nothing to defend; this is not something Tim has discovered, it is something he is speculating about.

Yeah, you make good points!

Only specualtion at this point. But still, given how shady everything about Windows 10 has been to this point and their corporate history this is nothing that would be below them.
The way they tried to force Windows 10 on me still makes my blood boil everytime i think about it.

Would you be so kind as to explain why exactly?
I'm genuinely curious as how you or other posters have more insight and experience on this matter than him?
Tim was there when PC gaming was becoming mainstream, and is still a pioneer all these years later with the new industry standard Unreal4, and when he has something to say I will listen as he has seen it all.

StereoVsn

I don't know how having the opinion that he's coming across as paranoid and having an agenda = you don't know or forgot MS's history. You can be fully aware of MS's history and still think Sweeney is coming across as being paranoid. There's nothing wrong with that Imo.
If you are paranoid, it doesn't mean they aren't after you. ;)

JaggedSac

It finds a corruption and does not prompt the user for a choice in what it wants to use for that file type. It automatically defaults to Microsoft's application. Pretty convenient, considering the aforementioned method of setting file type associations worked like a charm in Win7 and Win8x. If you buy this, lol to you.

Sorry, I was off my meds for a second. Phew, you're right. The registry never gets goofed up by software devs.

Green Yoshi

Will there be ever Steam on Xbox? No. Will Xbox and Windows merge one day? Yes.

Microsoft wants to earn money if people play on a Windows PC and they certainly don't want Valve to have that money.

TBiddy

Only specualtion at this point. But still, given how shady everything about Windows 10 has been to this point and their corporate history this is nothing that would be below them.
The way they tried to force Windows 10 on me still makes my blood boil everytime i think about it.

Well, Microsoft is a corporation, and as all other corporations, they seek to maximise profits. And while it's theoretically possible, that Microsoft would break Steam over the next five years, why would they?

As for Windows 10, I agree. It's was too much.

jelly

I would not be surprised and the boiling frog thing comes to mind, might be too late if you don't see it coming. Like any company you give them an inch they'll take a mile so best to be wary than wait and see.

UKUMI0

It's one thing to say Microsoft COULD do something like this, its another thing entirely to say they ARE doing it, which is what Tim is saying.

I absolutely hate the 'supported method' of changing default apps in Win 10. All apps can do is open up the 'default apps' page of the settings, and from that point the user is on their own, and they have to manually search the list of media types and deselect the 'Recommended for Windows 10' option. Also funny how these are in alphabetical order, so 'Web Browser' - by far the most common default people are going to want to change - is at the bottom and so needs to be scrolled down to before you can see it.

Obviously, none of that is a problem for tech-savvy people like us, but for a company that is so big on friction-less UX, it's funny how a whole bunch of friction suddenly appears when you want to do something they don't approve of, and it's enough to scare a lot of people off.

SaucyJack

That I understand, in some cases historically there's a lot of truth in it, and for some people selectively piecing together a pre-selected narrative is also a popular hobby. But it's 2016 now, the transparency in the scene is too strong, MS' days of doing what they've done in the past is long gone, they are not in the driver's seat in this case, and too dependent on an active and innovative scene. So for those of us that are level-headed, somewhat neutral and fact-driven it's frustrating to see intellectuals going all in on the conspiracy theories.

Naive.

LordRaptor

It's one thing to say Microsoft COULD do something like this, its another thing entirely to say they ARE doing it, which is what Tim is saying.

I literally just gave an example where playing titles from the W10 store breaks a major aspect of Steam.

I'm starting to think there is some kind of fallout in the MS-Epic relationship we don't know about, some bad blood feud behind doors, and now Tim is trying to damage MS as retaliation.

Skoen

Thanks I guess.
And what's your point?

Or is it just a childish 'all corporations are bad'?

A bit of both, corporations are getting away with exactly everything these days. And blind defense of them from many users on this forum is scaring the living hell out of me, both in the "Game" and "Off-Topic" part of GAF.

And currently living in Germany the entire TTIP-Debate is all over the place. People over here are in general not very corporate-friendly atm.

And no i dont think Sweeney is embarassing himself! Bad choice of words perhaps, but at least he is vocal and voicing his concerns. And he still is in the forefront of the industry with Unreal Engine 4 so I wouldn´t swoosh his opionions away like a fly.

People are surprisingly blind to this shit. All MS needs to do is make DirectX progressively worse on Win10 for Win32 to enable a lot of the shit that is being discussed in the OP.

That doesn't mess with vast majority of their Corp customers but will make gaming on non UWP platforms (GoG, Steam, Origin, Ubisoft, etc...) progressively worse. And yes, MS can deprecate older APIs.

As far as competitors MS have done this to? There are many in the business line Netscape, Novell, etc... MS is notorious for taking public APIs and making them just enough different for 3rd party shit not to work or work badly. Heck, Kerberos is a good example that wasn't truly fixed till Server 2008 R2 I think. Even now they take SAML 2.0 and put some proprietary shit in their ADFS model.

So yeah, I can absolutely see MS trying to pull this one. It would really be targetting closed system Apple-Google like model with UWP. Gaming would be just a drive by.

Quoted your post so I didnt have to do the googling. Thanks!

finley83

Banned
I'm completely out if my depth on this - if MS disables win32 doesn't that also stop a majority of games working as well? In which case, making an MS Store version of Steam is redundant as those games can no longer be sold anyway?

Trigger Rumble with the Xbox One controller is not supported by any win32 application, it is only available via DX12 in UWA format programs.
Therefore if you consider trigger rumble a desirable feature, you will never have that feature via Steam.

That's an example of a deliberate hamstringing of Win32.

Here's an example of a possibly accidental hamstringing of Steam in particular;
All Steam community features use overlays.
UWAs do not support overlays.
No Steam community features work anymore when playing a UWA title.

Sweeney said:
Slowly, over the next 5 years, they will force-patch Windows 10 to make Steam progressively worse and more broken. They'll never completely break it, but will continue to break it until, in five years, people are so fed up that Steam is buggy that the Windows Store seem like an ideal alternative. That's exactly what they did to their previous competitors in other areas. Now they're doing it to Steam. It's only just starting to become visible.
Again, he says they are breaking Steam right this minute through forced updates. Microsoft are currently making Steam progressively worse on Windows 10, that's his claim. Lack of trigger rumble support (because they never backported support to win32) or overlays not working on certain non-Steam games doesn't remotely qualify. (It's rare, but I own actual Steam games which haven't worked with the Steam overlay too.) For his argument to be true then in some way Steam has to be worse on Windows 10 right now, in July, then it was back in January.

That hasn't been my experience, and I think if this has been happening to a bunch of other Steam users there would have been plenty of GAF talk about it already.

(Again, willing to admit I could be 100% wrong, but I want actual evidence first.)

Moonstone

So in 5 years time Steam with be a buggy piece of crap, and if it isn't it's because Microsoft were too incompetent to sabotage it correctly?

Sounds a bit too conspiracy-theorist to me.

Think the term "bug" is a little bit misleading. This implies crashes and so on.
A bug can be anything it just depends on the POV.

MS will try to make non UWP apps less convenient - that doesn't sound conspiracy theorist style, right?

Well, now we know who on GAF was alive during the 90s.

As many have said before me, it is *completely* plausible, based on Microsoft's history, that they would want to do this. Once the aliens land on the White House lawn, you're no longer a tin foil nut for believing in them; you're the rational one.

The question is whether they're competent enough to pull it off in the gaming market. Based on Microsoft's history, my money is on no. Microsoft could get away with this with business/productivity software because their platforms in those markets are usually OK. Their PC gaming platform, however, will likely be so shitty that even kneecapped Steam will be preferable.

LordRaptor

overlays not working on certain non-Steam games doesn't remotely qualify. (It's rare, but I own actual Steam games which haven't worked with the Steam overlay too.)

You don't see a difference between overlays being bugged on some games, and overlays not working at all on any UWA title by design?

And I'm not talking about just the shift+tab overlay 'menu' screen - I am talking about all overlay features, like online notifications, achievement unlocks, game invites, etc.
They do not work anymore when playing a W10 store title.

Curious if this would encourage mass migration to Linux if this actually became a thing. Valve has already been putting more and more resources toward Linux/Open Source.

Top Bottom