• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim Sweeney:MS wants to monopolise games development on PC–and we must fight it

ekim

A wild George Broussard appears:
untitled60u2t.png

Krejlooc

Banned
Console and PC are two entirely different things, one is built as a closed platform and whilst I admire consumers for fighting against what they tried to impose on xbone forcing them to change it at the end of the day if Microsoft would have gone ahead with it as was would it have really made that huge of an impact?

They didn't even go through with it and it made an enormous impact. Every decision microsoft has made regarding Xbox in the last several years has been scrambling to undo the impact of that decision. Of course it would have made a huge impact.

onQ123

Why do you think the Steam Machine are being made now? they already knew what MS was up to. MS put so much energy into fighting Sony for the Living room that Apple & Android was able to take over the world & when MS wanted in on what Apple & Android was doing they was too late & the winners was already decided now they want to return the focus on the PC gamers & try to get the market back from Steam so they can use the PC gamers to lock more people into their ecosystem like people are locked into the Apple & Android ecosystems.

Glad to see someone that high profile and who'se been a strong MS supporter in the past speak up about this.

It's really just getting ridiculous how toxic MS's approach to gaming is, I mean sure, they've done alot of good too over the years, but so many of their aggressive, selfish policies hurt our hobby, I'm kind of hoping their PC efforts flop as hard as their console ones, and they either stop trying to undermine everyone else and monopolise everything, or sell off their gaming devision to Samsung or someone similar.

What MS said is that UWPs don't need to be deployed using the Windows Store. The sideloading changes mean that you can sideload anytime you want - same as on Android. What's only implied but technically true - just like on Android: alternative Stores could be installed and deploy UWPs.

It works differently then it does for Win32 but Steam could actually sell Games packaged as UWPs.

Win32 is pretty old and there is a lot of stuff that's causing issues now that OSes are also used in Mobile. UWPs are designed to avoid some of that. It's simply a more modern API. Some stuff is still not possible compared to Win32 but they are actually improving that quite a bit since the WinRT APIs were introduced with Windows 8. The use cases that absolutely require you to use Win32 get less and less.

It therefore might be possible that when Win 7 usage dwindles in the future more applications that aren't incremental updates of an existing code base (and Games are a prime example of that) might move to the UWP model (especially given the overlap with the Xbox One). That however does not necessarily mean that those games would be tied to the Windows Store.

Microsoft going back on allowing the sideloading of Apps could be termed anti-competitive and likely would lead to charges if they did so in the event of a competing store seeing success with that.

Pooya

It's true, iOS is a prime example of OS and a single store being tied at the hip. Further, all the hardware is provided by Apple. But it has always been that way. PC has not. Supporting closed platforms elsewhere doesn't necessarily mean it's hypocritical for him to not want Windows - and effectively the PC - to go the same way.

That's a weak argument. Just because something has been closed since its inception doesn't mean it's ok for it be like that forever. When Apple becomes the most dominant platform for just about anything and it's a very real possibility that it can happen, they are like half way there, they will be controlling every transaction. if you want to keep that open platform idea alive you better start pushing for it every where. Not conveniently ignore it where his interests are perfectly aligned. The whole reason the aggressive push to unified store fronts started from Google and then MS is because of Appstore to begin with, if one genuinely wants to fight back, it's very clear where he should start to push back this movement.

LewieP

He is entirely correct and I am pleased to see an industry heavyweight like him add his support to this line of argument.

TBiddy

It's really just getting ridiculous how toxic MS's approach to gaming is, I mean sure, they've done alot of good too over the years, but so many of their aggressive, selfish policies hurt our hobby, I'm kind of hoping their PC efforts flop as hard as their console ones, and they either stop trying to undermine everyone else and monopolise everything, or sell off their gaming devision to Samsung or someone similar.

I'm almost afraid to ask this, but which "aggressive, selfish policies" are "hurting" our hobby?

Thankfully MS will forget about PC gaming again in a few months when the Win10 store doesn't instantly dominate the market.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Until MS starts making other storefronts unavailable on Windows this really seems like a bunch of BS and fear mongering.

aaaaa0

Before everyone runs around in a panic, name one OS feature that is only available to apps in the Windows Store, that has no equivalent in Win32 or existing Windows programming APIs?

dity

Whatever Microsoft wants to do ain't likely to get more people going to the mess that's the Windows 10 Store anyway, but I definitely agree with Tim on the solutions, especially his second point:

That any company can operate a store for PC Windows games and apps in UWP format – as Valve, Good Old Games, Epic Games, EA, and Ubi Soft do today with the win32 format, and that Windows will not impede or obstruct these apps stores, relegating them to second-class citizenship.

Open up the UWP to everyone, Microsoft. That's the only way you're gonna get games workin' this way. I bet some other company can do a way better job.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
To be fair to MS it's within their rights to do whatever they with with the OS as they own it and can dictate how it is used

I think one of Sweeney's points, or one of themes hovering around the article, is that they have found in the past not to be within their rights to do whatever they want with their OS when they're in such a dominant position.

Okay, I've read it. Really interesting that The Guardian has run a piece like this, and it would be interesting to have a follow-up piece in say 12 months, authored by Tim Sweeney again. I have to admit to not fully understanding the situation as I'm not a PC gamer at all so a lot of the terms are lost on me, but if I'm reading things correctly then it's hard to see this 'renewed interest' in PC gaming from MS lasting long at all.

aaaaa0

I think one of Sweeney's points, or one of themes hovering around the article, is that they have found in the past not to be within their rights to do whatever they want with their OS when they're in such a dominant position.

Microsoft is no longer the dominant force they once were.

Much of what they are doing is a reaction to this fact: the PC is no longer the dominant way computing gets done, mobile is.

They either get with the times or fade into irrelevance.

Corto

Comparing Steam frontstore hegemony in terms of digital distribution on an open ecosystem (PC) with several competitors to an Apple iOS closed ecosystem-like situation is completely wrong.

amardilo

Doesn't sound like all is lost to me, MS can sort out a lot of these concerns with some extra work.
Such as making it easier to turn on side loading (I don't think it should be on by default as a lot of PC users don't need it and it could open up security holes so better to just allow users to change it easily) and have better tools/software to allow UAP programs to integrate with other stores and run outside of the Windows Store ecosystem (they could make a better API/shell/wrapper than what they have that could allow "unsigned" UAPs to run independently or with some other store, sort of like the old style .exe).

MS have been good over the last few years open sourcing (or atleast making code visible) a lot of their existing (such as C#) and new technologies. They could open this up a little more (not fully as I understand needing to lock away certain bit for security reasons but those sections could be siphoned off into their own area).

I don't think the essay makes a particularly strong case for itself. What's so much worse in Windows 10 -- which as Sweeney admits allows sideloading as an option -- compared to Windows 8, which didn't? Are things genuinely getting worse? Is this a real problem when the essay itself is pointing out how the Microsoft marketplace is already failing? I guess it doesn't hurt to be cautious, but this essay is all over the place. UWP can't be simultaneously a credible threat to everything that PCs stand for and a failure that developers and users are already staying away from.

strata8

Until MS starts making other storefronts unavailable on Windows this really seems like a bunch of BS and fear mongering.

Problem is there's no easy way to sideload apps built using the UWP. There are two options available in Windows 10, but one requires installing a certificate and the other involves switching on Developer Mode. Both require the use of the command line.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!

They already did lock their these APIs to the Windows Store when Windows 8 launched, they got away with it because it bombed so hard.

So what Tim wants he's already been given, and it's the direction MS have been moving in for 12 months at least. I honestly think Tim didn't know Windows 10 had enabled sideloading of apps before he wrote the article and then went back and added in a paragraph about it being too hard to do (it's one setting change, exactly the same as OSX and Android) rather than just accepting that he's got much less to moan about than he thought.

pezley

Banned
Do you think it's fair for MS to use their position as the OS provider to give advantages to their own separate platform, though?

That's Sweeney's sticking point. He doesn't have a problem with MS having their own store. He doesn't even have a problem with them bundling it with Windows. He does have a problem with them reserving OS features and advantages for software sold through that store.

Not really, but I don't know the specific features they have locked down to UWP and how much it limits other developers. If you can highlight any that would be good.

As I said before, it will fail because MS can't commit to anything but I don't see it as a bad thing for consumers. Certainly annoying that my games arent in one place but multi buy across Xbox and Windows is certainly a step in the right direction. I can't be the only one guilty of cross buying games in the past

Can someone explain to me why MS would actively seek this? I mean, I can well believe them trying, on past experience, but I cannot see the rationale. They risk alienating not just a few million PC players, say, but actual devs and publishers, which risks a far greater number of consumers, in effect. I know they're a big business with a desire to make oodles of moolah and whatnot, but can someone explain beyond saying 'MS are evil [and so inept they're gonna fail anyway]'? Not asking to be sarccy, I genuinely don't get why MS would do it. That's not to say, I stress, that I don't believe they could try. This isn't an appeal-as-justification thing, I am genuinely bemused and not very business minded...

Krejlooc

Banned
I'm almost afraid to ask this, but which "aggressive, selfish policies" are "hurting" our hobby?

For the record, if you put a game on steam, there are zero obligations for you to sell that game through the steam storefront.
You can generate as many codes for your game as many times as you want, and can sell them anywhere you want.
The only revenue cost to you as a developer where valve explcitly benefit is for sales made directly through the steam storefront.
Selling your game - your game for Steam - via GMG, Humble, eBay, Amazon, your own website, a forum giveaway, your twitch stream, wherever is not prohibited by steam. Steam receives no revenue from those outlets.

Those outlets are all in direct price competition with each other and consumers benefit accordingly outside of a cartel scenario even if "technically have to have steam though!".

Conversely, putting a game as a UWA on the Windows Store makes the Windows Store the only place that title can be purchased.
You are permitted to generate up to 200 promotional codes once every 6 months (IIRC), and you are explicitly forbidden from selling or reselling any of those promo codes or attempting to bypass MS taking a revenue cut in any manner.

That one hurts quite a bit. It hurts publishers, it hurts consumers. Only one who gains from it is Microsoft.

wapplew

Much of what they are doing is a reaction to this fact: the PC is no longer the dominant way computing gets done, mobile is.

Developers please make App for Windows phone, so that MS don't have to use PC as leverage and leave PC alone.

dity

According to reviews of Gears of War on the Windows Store, you can't even choose where to install games. Damn that's shitty.

Krejlooc

Banned
Can someone explain to me why MS would actively seek this?

Look at what DirectX did to OpenGL and Internet Explorer did to Netscape for your answer.

?

GTA 5, Skyrim, Dota and CSGO are all on Steam

What the fuck are you even talking about

You think those are the biggest, most played, and most successful PC games?

Try League of Legends, World of Warcraft, and all of tencent's library.

SpotAnime

That's a very good read, don't skip the whole article.

The only thing that I can understand from Microsoft's perspective is the security of apps through the store compared to getting UWA apps from elsewhere like Win32 apps.

I'm still not sure how Microsoft could reach the bad end game, wouldn't that just be the end of Windows. I can only think there would be a tipping point in customer use of UWA that would leave developers no choice but to support Microsoft's bad ways.

Well stated. When I posted about Microsoft's approach to iterative game hardware, I thought it was a stroke of genius they were bringing together Win 10 and Xbox platforms. But I thought at the time but didn't write it that no way should we expect to launch Steam or Origin on that dedicated hardware. It would have the guts of a PC, but be closed in the same way a dedicated Steam Box would - just launch directly into the Xbox app. A normal PC would be like it is today - if you want to play Steam games, launch Steam; if you want to play an Origin game, launch Origin. And, if you want to play an Xbox game, launch the Xbox app.

Now the restrictions Microsoft is putting on development and distribution of UWAs is another thing. But, we still have the choice to buy Xbox games vs games offered on other services. And because of this, my argument of no more Xbox exclusives gets thrown out the window because of the Xbox walled garden.

There's still choice, but now it's more on developers rather than consumers.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

Sweeney is talking about the PC space, though, wherein Microsoft's OS is still completely dominant. I'm not sure if Microsoft could legally shield themselves from accusations of leveraging their position unfairly in the PC space against other PC storefronts by pointing to the rise of other arenas like mobile etc. Maybe they could, but clearly others within the PC space are viewing Microsoft's intentions as anti-competitive within that arena.

dumbo

Thankfully MS will forget about PC gaming again in a few months when the Win10 store doesn't instantly dominate the market.

AFAICT microsoft's plan is basically:
- ditch xbox hardware.
- create 'xbox on windows' to replace xbox.
- make 'xbox on windows' exclusive to the windows store.
- add all new gaming/gaming hardware features to 'xbox on windows'.

They are basically 'monetizing' the windows gaming API, and if the features are compelling then they simply win.

Kayant

According to reviews of Gears of War on the Windows Store, you can't even choose where to install games. Damn that's shitty.

It applies more to the whole store. You can only choose one storage to store all apps via Settings --> System --> Storage. You don't get get to choose a location for each app like you would in Steam, Origin, Uplay, etc.

Not completely right. You can move some apps after installation.

You can move programs between drives in Settings > System > Apps & features. You just can't choose the location when you install it.

http://theitbros.com/how-to-move-ap...sd-card-and-change-default-app-save-location/

You can move individual apps to other drives, as long as the app allows it.

Well...they did 180 on the Xbone DRM. That counts for something, right?

They failed in the console space with their restrictive nonsense, now they are trying it in the PC space.

They only performed a 180 on the Xbox One due to overwhelming market rejection, if that had not been the case they would have carried on.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Not really, but I don't know the specific features they have locked down to UWP and how much it limits other developers. If you can highlight any that would be good.

I don't know either - I'm giving Sweeney the benefit of the doubt that they're significant, given the strength of his attack here. If anyone knows the details it might be a good contribution.

Important part of Tim Sweeney's article: "This day has been approaching for over than 18 months,"

So Tim and Epic have know about this for a long time. And sounds like they have been lobbying against this going down this way. But in the end they were not able to persuade MS. This is not some knee jerk reaction to recent information. This is the culmination of many unsuccessful discussions with MS over a year and half. And having a lot of time to think about the consequences.

So what Tim wants he's already been given, and it's the direction MS have been moving in for 12 months at least. I honestly think Tim didn't know Windows 10 had enabled sideloading of apps before he wrote the article and then went back and added in a paragraph about it being too hard to do (it's one setting change, exactly the same as OSX and Android) rather than just accepting that he's got much less to moan about than he thought.

Tim says right in the article itself that he's been in touch with people at Microsoft over the issue for 18 months before writing this article. They likely told him about the sideloading setting long ago. He's not an idiot.

Apart from Minecraft and LoL (maybe WoW), what else could be constituted as a "big" game?

Minecraft is the most successful PC game of all time, right? WoW is the biggest MMO of all time. LoL is quite insanely popular. There is no "apart from" in this scenario. I think the point is, you don't NEED Steam to be super successful, that's all.

Top Bottom