• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time magazine Millennials: The Me Me Me Generation

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're living with their parents because the previous generation were egotistical sociopaths who fucked the economy resulting in sky high prices and few jobs.

Thorakai

The article itself is about how our persistence and need to do better than what we saw and grew up with all around us, from our parents to our governments mistakes is what drives us to bring it all down even at great cost and to rebuild it in an image better than what was handed down to us.

Inflammatory title is inflammatory to sell those issues. durr.

Just wanted to quote this for everyone to see, article has "Why They'll Save Us All" tagline on cover too so there is some positive spin to the issues Millennials face. Its not just about how we are more narcissistic, lazy, etc.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
http://i.imgur.com/cjty0gc.jpg

ib2wH5eBO9mkkN.gif

bro1

Banned
Believe me when I say that this is our society and culture on the whole. Entitlement. I work in an ER and you would not believe the fucking entitlement that comes out of the mouths of patients and the family of patients. It's the entire of attitude of, "I want it. I want it now. It better be fantastic. And if it's not I'm going to complain, make myself the center of attention, and try to take as many people as I can down with me." That man came in after me and is deathly ill? Fuck you and this hospital. My child with an insect bite comes fucking first. I want to talk to your manager and where it the nearest tissue box?
A person going to the ER is probably under a bit of duress?

No, and there's no justifying it. It's mainly a bunch of drug seekers that will make your life a living hell when they don't get what they're asking for. Or, a bunch of people that have no idea being there in the first place and are deeply offended when legitimately sick people get to go in front of them.

Type422

Neo Member

Not necessarily. At least here in Germany. We have many people who come to the ER on weekends with problems they knew the whole week. So they had more than enough time to go to their general practitioner. Funny enough those people think they have the most severe problem out of all the patients waiting there.

Not necessarily. At least here in Germany. We have many people who come to the ER on weekends with problems they knew the whole week. So they had more than enough time to go to their general practitioner. Funny enough those people think they have the most severe problem out of all the patients waiting there.

In the U.S., the E.R. is where families who can't afford insurance but make enough to be disqualified from Medicaid go. The reason is you can't be turned away from E.R. even if you lack the ability to pay. It's also a big reason why medical debt is a huge cause of bankruptcy.

In the U.S., the E.R. is where families who can't afford insurance but make enough to be disqualified from Medicaid go. The reason is you can't be turned away from E.R. even if you lack the ability to pay. It's also a big reason why medical debt is a huge cause of bankruptcy.
.... Ok why some poeple still believe that the US Health system is the best in the world?

Jooney

I see TIME is going the Newsweek route of needlessly provocative front covers to move units. Lame journalism.

Javaman

Fuck that. The Me generation is the baby boomers. They could go to college for dirt cheap. Houses, cars, gas, medical care and everything was cheap (even considering inflation) and you could get an almost guaranteed for life with a pension. This new generation is going to be the first one in a hundred years to have it worse than their parent.

apesh1t

Banned
We're buying less houses, less cars and working more hours, thanks to the baby boomers creating debt (credit cards, student loans), not raising minimum wages since 1978 (except for inflation) and making healthcare impossible to obtain.

jchap

I agree. This generation is full of self-entitled non-ambitious people. The blaming of others for the problems of a generation is good evidence of it.

smr00

Banned
I thought there was no defined time when Gen Y (Millenials) started. I personally consider 1990+ to be part of the Millenials generation, some consider 1970s, some 1980s. But who the fuck cares about the generation stuff? The argument is as stupid as the "80s were better! No, 90s were better!" arguments. Every generation has their faults and problems.

And everyone that i personally know with this MEMEME mentality were born mid 90s. But i don't know everyone. I was born in the mid 80s and i am far from this "mememe" generalization but then again that's exactly what this is, a shitty generalization.

They better get used to it because of things like population boom, downsizing, and outsourcing. You know those legit, meaty jobs? Yeah, they're never coming back.

Fuck that. The Me generation is the baby boomers. They could go to college for dirt cheap. Houses, cars, gas, medical care and everything was cheap (even considering inflation) and you could get an almost guaranteed for life with a pension. This new generation is going to be the first one in a hundred years to have it worse than their parent.

I'm going to be really interested in how my generation plays this. Are they going to do what the "greatest generation" did and fight for a new system that continues progression of the common person (e.g. New Deal, Fascism, Communism) or just wallow in their sorrow like a Central American nation.

Where are all the articles that talk about how selfish, stupid, and awful baby boomers are, and how they've basically fucked over the entire world?

Nah, let's keep bitching about these awful millenials and their cell phones and FaceSpace.

Baby boomers are the true me me me generation. Young people are somehow entitled because we have technology now. They think that absolves them of being entitled since they didn't have the same technology when they were young

Seriously though, it was the Baby Boomers that elevated narcissim to an artform.

This is funny coming from Baby Boomers, the ultimate fuck you got mine generation.

I've pretty much given up on full retirement, but that's fine, I don't mind working personally. Try making a living with only a high school diploma, which was common a few generations ago.

They're living with their parents because the previous generation were egotistical sociopaths who fucked the economy resulting in sky high prices and few jobs.

We're buying less houses, less cars and working more hours, thanks to the baby boomers creating debt (credit cards, student loans), not raising minimum wages since 1978 (except for inflation) and making healthcare impossible to obtain.

I'm very disappointed in your generation. Something is lacking. Let's call it heart.

"No hustle either, Skip."

That's right, Daryl.

I agree. This generation is full of self-entitled non-ambitious people. The blaming of others for the problems of a generation is good evidence of it.
Old person spotted.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with babyboomers. Its not a generational conflict, its a class conflict. The 1% have squandered all opportunities and jobs for their own wealth, and they are now working hard to ensure that its turned into a generational conflict, instead of class warfare. This article is just part of that strategy.

I've always found "Greatest Generation" to be a particularly ironic name. First off, if we go by the criteria that they're great because they sacrificed great things during war time, well...why not the WW1 generation? Or the Civil War generation (United States)? Or the generation that fought the Revolutionary War? Also consider for a second that the "Greatest Generation" is the Reagan generation; the one that sank the nation into huge debt while implementing economic policies that would have devastating long term effects.

To be fair, I think my generation has the least ambition out of any demographic I can think of. I know people in their mid 30s that still live at home and they're completely content with it.

Why not? I can't afford to live on my own. Living at home has it's disadvantages, but, the pros outweigh the negatives. I don't plan on starting a family, if I get married, I'll move out, but, till then or I get a better job I have no reason to leave. I'm making 9/hour, the cheapest apartments here are 800 a month and rundown with crime problems.

My apartment is small 2 bedroom, and I'm paying 1100 a month. This is not in a good area of town, and these apartments are not top quality. It's common in many countries for families to live together. yet in America if you aren't out of the house by 18 in College you're considered a failure.

To be fair, I think my generation has the least ambition out of any demographic I can think of. I know people in their mid 30s that still live at home and they're completely content with it.

I'm sure there were plenty of pot smoking hippies back in the 60s and 70s who could have been used as an argument for why the Boomers were lazy and entitled and unambitious. Also, it's not uncommon in some nations for people to live with their parents well into their 20s to save on housing costs. It's actually a pretty smart idea if you're working a job at the same time.

I'm sure there were plenty of pot smoking hippies back in the 60s and 70s who could have been used as an argument for why the Boomers were lazy and entitled and unambitious. Also, it's not uncommon in some nations for people to live with their parents well into their 20s to save on housing costs. It's actually a pretty smart idea if you're working a job at the same time.

I've met people from southern Europe through couch surfing who told me that it was considered an insult to your mother to move out of the house before marriage. :lol

Not sure how universal that idea is, but still. Different cultures, different values.

I'm going to be really interested in how my generation plays this. Are they going to do what the "greatest generation" did and fight for a new system that continues progression of the common person (e.g. New Deal, Fascism, Communism) or just wallow in their sorrow like a Central American nation.

We won't do anything and deep down I think you know that. No fight whatsoever.

This article and thread must just apply to the US.

I am with AtlanticWire on this one, every generation is the "Me" generation. You only hear about it more now because of media and feel about it more now because of things like facebook, twitter, etc.

I think that will be one difference. I don't see the current young generation playing any active role in politics beside voting for a President. Don't expect repeat of Vietnam style protests or anything.

I've always found "Greatest Generation" to be a particularly ironic name. First off, if we go by the criteria that they're great because they sacrificed great things during war time, well...why not the WW1 generation? Or the Civil War generation (United States)? Or the generation that fought the Revolutionary War? Also consider for a second that the "Greatest Generation" is the Reagan generation; the one that sank the nation into huge debt while implementing economic policies that would have devastating long term effects.

It wasn't just WWII, it's that they (my parents included) grew up during the Great Depression which played a large part in forging their character before they went off to war.

apesh1t

Banned
For the record, I was born in 1981 and moved out of my parents house when I was 22.

I work with a 24 year old guy that drives a really nice car, has gone to 5 Celtics game this season (150 bucks a ticket) and lives with his parents. Nicest guy in the world, but he has no desire to move out, he enjoys living his life. Does this make him a Me Me Me generation?

I think putting something like that on the cover of Time does nothing but sell copies. To generalize an entire generation as narcissist because they have a Facebook with 100+ pics of themselves is unfair. We're all treading water in this economy, just trying to keep our heads up. If there is no hope or viable reality for progression due to outside circumstances then why not try to find joy in what you've got?

Because if there's one thing we're sure of in social psychology, it's that we had reliable, self-coherent, and accurate rates of mental illness throughout the 20th century. We definitely did things in the 1950s the same way we do things now, and there are no discrepancies or obvious alternative explanations that might make a comparison completely untenable. Boy science sure is easy, who knew incredibly generalized data could prove so much.

For the record, I was born in 1981 and moved out of my parents house when I was 22.

I work with a 24 year old guy that drives a really nice car, has gone to 5 Celtics game this season (150 bucks a ticket) and lives with his parents. Nicest guy in the world, but he has no desire to move out, he enjoys living his life. Does this make him a Me Me Me generation?

I think putting something like that on the cover of Time does nothing but sell copies. To generalize an entire generation as narcissist because they have a Facebook with 100+ pics of themselves is unfair. We're all treading water in this economy, just trying to keep our heads up. If there is no hope or viable reality for progression due to outside circumstances then why not try to find joy in what you've got?

It's a cultural thing, America expects that once you are 18 you move out of parent's house. I don't think not moving out makes people a Me Me Me person unless you are just mooching off of them.

It wasn't just WWII, it's that they (my parents included) grew up during the Great Depression which played a large part in forging their character before they went off to war.

Ahh, gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. Well by that logic I would argue the Civil War generation was the greatest. Many of them grew up around the panic of 1857 and had to make great sacrifices in their own lives. Additionally, many thousands of people died in the Civil War. Those "Greatest" people were just lazy and entitled by comparison.

Fox Mulder

This can apply to any generation of Americans. The youth of today didnt fuck up the economy, send jobs overseas, and rack up trillions of national debt. I probably won't even get a scrap of the social security I've been paying into when I retire, thanks old people.

Ahh, gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. Well by that logic I would argue the Civil War generation was the greatest. Many of them grew up around the panic of 1857 and had to make great sacrifices in their own lives. Additionally, many thousands of people died in the Civil War. Those "Greatest" people were just lazy and entitled by comparison.

I think at any time where Black people did not have full rights have no right to call themselves the greatest generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom