• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time Traveler spotted in 1928 movie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jea Song

Did the right thing
More than likely, not a time traveler. So many more plausible explnations to this, rather than just say " TIME TRAVELER!"

However,

There is a possibility, and Einsteins theory does allow for time travel. Stephen Hawking claims that if time travel were possible, then where are all the time travelers? This video could possibly showcase one of them. But I agree more with Michio Kaku's theory that perhaps the time travelers are invisible. They could be using invisibility cloaks. Devices that Solid Snake uses.

If this person is indeed a time traveler, the person appears to be using a communications device like a cell phone. Now I wouldn't think they would need a satellite to communicate
with someone else. Their technology is advance enough for time travel, then perhaps they are using some other sort of radio signal that emits from the communication device.

KevinCow

Banned
black_13 said:
so your telling me that cell phone sizes of the future are the same as today?

Not that hard to believe. The average phone size seems to have gotten bigger in the past five years or so with the rise in popularity of the iPhone, Droid, and the like, while the smallest phones haven't really gotten much smaller because, while the technology to make a really tiny phone probably exists, it would just be a pain in the ass to carry around.

StuBurns

Banned
Jea Song said:
More than likely, not a time traveler. So many more plausible explnations to this, rather than just say " TIME TRAVELER!"

However,

There is a possibility, and Einsteins theory does allow for time travel. Stephen Hawking claims that if time travel were possible, then where are all the time travelers? This video could possibly showcase one of them. But I agree more with Michio Kaku's theory that perhaps the time travelers are invisible. They could be using invisibility cloaks. Devices that Solid Snake uses.

If this person is indeed a time traveler, the person appears to be using a communications device like a cell phone. Now I wouldn't think they would need a satellite to communicate
with someone else. Their technology is advance enough for time travel, then perhaps they are using some other sort of radio signal that emits from the communication device.
I don't believe either of the relativity theories actually allows for a workable time travel model.

The woman in that video is not a time traveler, I promise you.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Jea Song said:
yeah but none of those are as fun.

Fusebox

Banned
Steelrain said:
That about wraps this up.

So she was talking to..... herself? Did she think her hearing aid was a dictaphone?

You guys keep trying to debunk, but you know the truth is that she is a mobile-phone wielding time traveller.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Fusebox said:
So she was talking to..... herself? Did she think her hearing aid was a dictaphone?

You guys keep trying to debunk, but you know the truth is that she is a mobile-phone wielding time traveller.

I want to believe but is there any real proof she is indeed talking? I cant really tell myself.

Edit: Well she is indeed talking after paying close attention :lol She could just be crazy.

Steelrain

Fusebox said:

I don't want to believe that!!!

Besides.....i see old people talking to themselves all the time. They just don't give a fuck mostly.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Fusebox said:

She could have been laughing or talking to the guy ahead of her or crazy or just flapping her gums :lol

Jea Song

Did the right thing
KevinCow said:
Not that hard to believe. The average phone size seems to have gotten bigger in the past five years or so with the rise in popularity of the iPhone, Droid, and the like, while the smallest phones haven't really gotten much smaller because, while the technology to make a really tiny phone probably exists, it would just be a pain in the ass to carry around.

There are 2 theories to this. If time travel is a possibility then perhaps it will be within 100 years. In 100 years, I highly doubt cell phones will take the same shape and size as our current iphones and andriod phones. We are being way too naive and arrogant to think they wont change much. However, with that said, let's take a look at phones 100 years ago.

Western Electric Non Dial Candlestick--Early 1900s.

The standard of the industry in the early 1900s.

bkcs1.jpg

Western Electric "102" with Dial--1920s/1930s

Western Electric introduced the "102" in 1927. It was their first phone utilizing a handset that combined the transmitter and receiver.

1021.jpg

Western Electric "302" with Dial--1940s/1950s

Designed by Henry Dreyfuss, the "302" was introduced in 1937 with a metal housing. Great art deco styling, it was the first phone to have all the components in base.

me302.jpg

Motorola Droid X 2010

droid_x.jpg

As you can see, even though technology has improved dramatically from the very first phones, the common theme is holding the device to your ear. So It would seem plausible that a cell phone 100 years from now, would still have that function. We are just getting use to the idea of hands free bluetooth devices, but the overwhelming majority of people still hold their cellphones. to their ear.
jawbone-bluetooth-headset.jpg

bluetooth-headset-review.jpg

There is also the possibility that 100 years from now we will have developed bionic cell phones. A cell phone system implanted into the body.

bahaimplant2.gif

So we can clearly see in the picture that this person is opening her/his mouth, while holding a device to their head, perhaps even their ear. Looks like a current touch based smart phone.
Untitled-7.jpg

My other theory is that perhaps this time traveler is forced to use a phone that is from this generation of cell phones. It would be ancient to them, but perhaps its the only type of phone that works in the past. This theory also suggests that in the very near future, something revolutionary will be developed for cell phones, that uses an entirely new technology.

Jea Song

Did the right thing
krypt0nian said:
No wonder I can't locate any timeline anomalies. Problem averted.

This is most likely the case, but it still doesn't explain why the person "appears" to be talking into the device.

Jea Song said:
This is most likely the case, but it still doesn't explain why the person "appears" to be talking into the device.

The device doesn't but tell me you've never seen odd people talking to themselves in a busy city.

/thread

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Jea Song said:

However,

Would be much less risky for someone to go back in time dressed in the era's style.

Steelrain said:

/thread

Jea Song

Did the right thing
JasonMCG said:
If she really is on a cell, how is she getting service? Pretty sure there weren't any cell towers in '28.

Your dismissing the possibility that the device they are using doesn't need a tower to communicate.

Belfast

Deku said:
Cameras in 1928 were huge giant contraptions with a crew around it. It's hard to miss.

People also weren't used to having to "avoid" cameras, either. They were big, but not as ubiquitous as they are today and the sense of shying away from them would not have been natural for the period.

Unless you were in some third world or rural area where they still thought the camera was a device used to steal your soul.

That cell phone isn't even the most amazing part of this picture! We got a Velociraptor walking around as a women and nobody is even saying anything!

Belfast

And BTW, the ONLY more plausible explanation given the evidence would be the hearing aid thing.

Still doesn't really explain why she's talking to herself/into it. She could be a nutter, but there's no way of us knowing that, either. We have suspect video footage, not medical records.

She certainly isn't just shielding her face from the sun or scratching herself, either. In the first case, she'd be using more palm, and in the second, she would exhibit a scratching motion (which she doesn't).

It's clear, the way her fingers are positioned, that she is holding a rectangular object up to the side of her head. The debate comes down to what that device is.

AkuMifune

Banned
timetraveler.jpg

Creepy old man/lady time traveler indeed! And what's under the coat?

Or holding a compress to his/her face and rambling to no one

ronito

Jea Song said:

However,

But both Einstein and Stephen Hawking admit that it would be impossible for a time machine to go further back to a point before the time machine existed. So if you're going to go with Einstein and Hawking you'll have to admit that their would have to have been a time machine back in the 20s.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
ronito said:
But both Einstein and Stephen Hawking admit that it would be impossible for a time machine to go further back to a point before the time machine existed. So if you're going to go with Einstein and Hawking you'll have to admit that their would have to have been a time machine back in the 20s.

Would it be possible for someone to bring a time machine with them through a time machine though? Would love to read what they have to say on this.

optimiss

While it is fun to speculate, she probably just didn't want to be filmed, covered her face, and bitched about the camera crew vocally. Case closed!

Jea Song

Did the right thing
ronito said:

What does that have to do with the universe, and black holes, and wormholes? The universe doesnt care when the time machine was invented. Time is infinite.

Not time traveler, dimension traveler.

As Fringe showed us, cell phones were invented in the alternate universe much earlier than in ours.

Jea Song

Did the right thing
androvsky said:
Yup. A cell phone was taken back to the 1920's, someone noticed, and the time traveler said that it was a hearing aid. Even became the basis for several models of real hearing aids from the time period.

And if we want to be really have fun with it, the old hearing aids end up influencing the design of the phone they were originally based on. :D

Sure, it just took them 90 years to FINALLY, get the design they really wanted.

diunxx

optimiss said:
While it is fun to speculate, she probably just didn't want to be filmed, covered her face, and bitched about the camera crew vocally. Case closed!

This, it doesn't take an indie documentary filmmaker to figure this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom