• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tiny Tower |OT| Elevator action, Dream-Jobs & Bitbook updates

Tobor

atre324 said:
Is it worth it to keep all 3 goods restocked in a store, or should you stick with just tier2 and tier 3?
You should always fully stock, you'll randomly get an extra Tower buck for doing so.

Phreaker

Ted Cook
Bah, new job at the nightclub blows
20M ago
5 Bitizens Like This

Marian Andrews
I can't believe I get paid to work at the night club. Awesome!
1M ago
2 Bitizens Like This

Ted Cook
This new sushi bar job is going to be perfect for me.
1M ago
1 Bitizens Like this

Switched their jobs around. :)

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Just realized you can listen to podcasts and it still keeps the sound effects, awesome.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Jesus, this is one of the most addicting iOS games I've ever played.

Also, this made me nostalgia hard about playing Sim Tower, I had completely forgotten about that game.

dream

I'm at 24 floors now and shit's getting expensive to build. Wario's strategy of "just save up 50 bux and buy 100k" just isn't that practical when my next floor costs 90k to build. :(

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
I kinda like this game, but later in I keep finding myself just restocking all the time, doing nothing else. It may just be losing its charm a little bit...

Plus those bux sure don't come easy!

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Sim Tower is on the app store under a different name. Finally got into this game and I like it a lot. Gave the devs $30 to support them, and it really helps obliterate the early grind. Went from 4 floors to 13 almost instantly.

I like how the notifications combine well with the multitasking, so you can switch over, stock, and return to what you were doing.

Only thing I don't like is I started on iPad. When I load the game on my iPhone, it loaded an old save where my tower is only 4 floors. I hope it is able to pull the new data from after I spent money, or else I'll have two different saves in the cloud.

Also, this is not a social game. You can view friends towers but there is no social interaction. No invites, spam requests, Facebook posting, etc.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I see it's universal, how does it look on iPad?

dream

My favorite thing about the notifications is they only send one. If you ignore it, you don't get a bunch of other notifications as you finish restocking or whatever.

Tiktaalik

This game is off to a great start and I'm hoping to see more iterations and improvements. One big feature that feels missing is any sort of social element. I can visit my friends' tower but I can't do anything.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
I got rid of the Vegan Store on floor 2, because I hated looking at it since I'm a carnivore. So it took some doing, but I demolished all the shops till I was proud of every store in my tower. Now my tower is a place I would want to live. It's got: a pizza place, comedy club, day spa, soda brewery, toy store, arcade, video rental, and a diner. I should raise the rent, because my tower is fuckin cool.

Harry Potter said:
Anyone know if there is an elevator upgrade after the 125 tower bux one? I'm debating whether or not to buy it...

That's the final elevator upgrade.

Kept it for a few days and just deleted it today. Had a hard time getting coins. Gave up at 5 floors. It's too slow paced for me. Very little to actually do.

Jasoco

Banned
This game sucks! I don't understand how anyone can find this enjoyable! Hold on, I gotta restock my shelves..

Okay, where was I? Oh, yeah. Anyone who plays this game is an idiot! It's the worst idea for a game anyone ever had. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go interview some Bitizens to work at my new bank.

Okay, seriously now. I love this game. Zynga has nothing on this game. While Zynga's pumping out stupid ___ville games that force you to keep up with the game and punish you if you don't, and cause people to spam FaceBook newsfeeds with requests for every fucking new item that comes out, NimbleBit is going the opposite direction. Don't punish the player. Don't require them to pay real money just to succeed. Let them play as they want. Run out of items overnight? Don't worry, your tower won't become deserted. It's perfect. And exactly what I want in a Sim game. I wouldn't care if they put out a half a dozen more games with this same art style and motif in different locales. I'd download every one, and even donate some money.

KHyw2.png

I can't tell if they like the bank or not.

Next I have to build a restaurant and pray I get a Sky Burger. I have three Bitizens who dream of working there.

Also, I just got the 75 bux elevator.. Now to save for the 125!

Also, how do you get the game to sync to the server? For some reason the copy they have on their server is always hours behind. I'm on the 17th floor, but the save that downloaded to my iPod, and the one that is on the server in the "Friends" list has me still at 16 floors. Fuck. How do I force it? I'd love to be able to quit the game on my iPad and pick up my iPod and immediately continue. But it doesn't seem to work that way.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Jasoco said:
This game sucks! I don't understand how anyone can find this enjoyable! Hold on, I gotta restock my shelves...

I think you were on to something there...

FerranMG

Phreaker said:
Oh I also notice it has server-saves so I can pick up between my iPad and iPhone, nice!

Can anyone actually confirm this?
I've read it a couple of times, but I'd love a 100% confirmation. :p

Jasoco

Banned
FerranMG said:
Can anyone actually confirm this?
I've read it a couple of times, but I'd love a 100% confirmation. :p
It does. I opened the game on my iPod and it said there was a save on the server and asked if I wanted to load it. I did, but it was a few hours older than the one on my iPad. So I don't know WHEN it uploads its saves, but it's not often enough.

The way they should make it work, it should upload every time you make a major change or leave the app. Then reload it (optionally) every time you reopen the app. Or just save on actual quit and reload on actual relaunch. As opposed to when switching between apps. Though most people might not realize they'd have to quit it first. So it should upload maybe every minute or so as well as when leaving the app via the Home button.

It should also have a manual load saved game button as well as a manual upload button and a preview system to make sure the save you are replacing it with is current.

But alas, it doesn't.

FerranMG

Jasoco said:
It does. I opened the game on my iPod and it said there was a save on the server and asked if I wanted to load it. I did, but it was a few hours older than the one on my iPad. So I don't know WHEN it uploads its saves, but it's not often enough.

The way they should make it work, it should upload every time you make a major change or leave the app. Then reload it (optionally) every time you reopen the app. Or just save on actual quit and reload on actual relaunch. As opposed to when switching between apps. Though most people might not realize they'd have to quit it first. So it should upload maybe every minute or so as well as when leaving the app via the Home button.

It should also have a manual load saved game button as well as a manual upload button and a preview system to make sure the save you are replacing it with is current.

But alas, it doesn't.

Thanks! :)
Too bad there's not a manual save/upload option.

SmokyDave

The iOS thread breathes a sigh of relief.

I cracked and downloaded this after reading so much about it. Not really for me but I can see the charm.

Phreaker

Jasoco said:
Also, how do you get the game to sync to the server? For some reason the copy they have on their server is always hours behind. I'm on the 17th floor, but the save that downloaded to my iPod, and the one that is on the server in the "Friends" list has me still at 16 floors. Fuck. How do I force it? I'd love to be able to quit the game on my iPad and pick up my iPod and immediately continue. But it doesn't seem to work that way.

I was wondering the same thing after having it work the first time...probably because I hadn't tended to my tower in a few hours.

Shai-Tan

Banned
toythatkills said:
It's nothing like Sim Tower at all.

Aside from it featuring a tower, there is no similarity.

oh, that sucks. i was hoping it was at least like those kairosoft games

mattiewheels

dream said:
My favorite thing about the notifications is they only send one. If you ignore it, you don't get a bunch of other notifications as you finish restocking or whatever.
Very smart of them, but that message is like a dealer waving another hit in your face
KuGsj.gif

Jasoco

Banned
Yay! I got a Mapple Store! And one of my Bits dreams of working there, but I have to wait for my bank to finish stocking so I can transfer her. Yay!

Got 28 floors of stuff with 45 Bitizens and another residential floor on the way. Struggling a bit with getting Bitizens in their dream jobs, need to evict more people and find more dream jobs.

Absolutely loving it though, not sure if I should be proud or not though that I have unlocked all of the elavator upgrades without buying any Bux and still doing 50 bux for 100,000 coins..

Im heavily addicted, I check it all the time... woke up at about 5am this morning, rolled over and checked it to re-stock stuff in my tower haha.

Jasoco

Banned
I woke up 5 times last night to restock stuff.

Last night I evicted a person with all 6 or lower, brought in another for 1 Bux with all 6 or lower, brought in another, and another before giving up. The next person to go to that floor moved in with much higher numbers. Dammit! Wasted 4 bux for nothing.

A sushi bar just opened in my tower. The stock levels are horrendous. It'd need restocking literally every four minutes if I could be bothered to keep up.

Phreaker

toythatkills said:
A sushi bar just opened in my tower. The stock levels are horrendous. It'd need restocking literally every four minutes if I could be bothered to keep up.

Yeah Sushi is really popular I guess. I swear I can't keep it fully stocked for more than a few minutes. I need someone who want's to work at a sushi place as their dream job! Come on!

BKXB said:
I recall the dev saying on the toucharcade forums that it saves to a server every 4 hours.

That would explain it...

Phreaker said:
Yeah Sushi is really popular I guess. I swear I can't keep it fully stocked for more than a few minutes. I need someone who want's to work at a sushi place as their dream job! Come on!
Even with a dream job the 1-coin item only stocks sixty at a time, and that sells out almost immediately! If I clean my tower in the future, that's the first thing to go.

atre324

there are more floors than there are stores, right? can you have 1 of every floor? For that matter, can you have more than one of the same floor?

atre324 said:
there are more floors than there are stores, right? can you have 1 of every floor? For that matter, can you have more than one of the same floor?
I don't think anyone knows yet if there's a limit on the number of floors you can build. It might go on forever.

atre324

well in that case, has anyone started getting duplicates yet? I'd really love to have a tower with 1 of everything.

I think I'm going to save my bucks and start sorting my floors by category. Is that really OCD?

Flunkie

Banned
Wow, I can see this thread being huge. I guess it's a good thing that we don't have it clogging up the OT now though.

Speaking of server saves.. does it work all the time for anyone? It's only worked once for me.

Edit: Nevermind. Reading is good!

toythatkills said:
I don't think anyone knows yet if there's a limit on the number of floors you can build. It might go on forever.
We have to wait for Wario or noreturn to get there. :lol

atre324 said:
well in that case, has anyone started getting duplicates yet? I'd really love to have a tower with 1 of everything.

I think I'm going to save my bucks and start sorting my floors by category. Is that really OCD?
When I've got one of every floor, I'm going to put the residential at the bottom (unless there's a penthouse), put the businesses on top, and alphabetise them within these categories. Then I'm going to paint every floor so my tower looks like a massive rainbow.

Then I'm going to wonder what I'm doing with my life.

Then I'm going to restock my sushi bar.

atre324

toythatkills said:
When I've got one of every floor, I'm going to put the residential at the bottom (unless there's a penthouse), put the businesses on top, and alphabetise them within these categories. Then I'm going to paint every floor so my tower looks like a massive rainbow.

Then I'm going to wonder what I'm doing with my life.

Then I'm going to restock my sushi bar.

Speak of the devil, just after you said that a Sushi Bar opened up in my tower!

For whatever reason a large majority of the "Where's Waldo" requests I get are for the same guy, N Nicholas. He's a popular dude I guess.

Anyone ever get a streak of like 4-5 VIPs in a row? One time I got 2 construction dudes in a row, then 2 of the celebrities and a delivery man in the next 15 minutes. I definitely feel like this game gives you streaks of "good luck" to keep you hooked, lol

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
toythatkills said:

The #1 person on the leaderboards has 405 floors, so I'm guessing it's either a high barrier or unlimited.

I can't imagine juggling 405 floors o_O

Flunkie

Banned
Wario64 said:
The #1 person on the leaderboards has 405 floors, so I'm guessing it's either a high barrier or unlimited.

I can't imagine juggling 405 floors o_O
That has to be a hack. 405 already? That's crazy.

Jasoco

Banned
dallow_bg said:
Sometimes they change the paint on their own eh?
Oh good. I'm not going crazy. I've had it happen twice. Once to my lobby, another to my 70's Apartments. Both times seemed to happen after viewing someone else's tower. But I can't reproduce it reliably, or force it.

Ugh, another fucking useless construction worker. Where were you guys when I spent money to finish building my Mapple Store? Give me a damn delivery man please!

Meier

It's kind of obnoxious keeping it stocked since it sells so fast, but the Sushi stand is really useful for getting Tower Bux. It seems like at least 50/50 that you'll receive one for keeping it fully stocked.

Top Bottom