• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tiny Tower |OT| Elevator action, Dream-Jobs & Bitbook updates

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Mission bug is fixed in new patch apparently. It's out

Sorry Tunesmith lol

/magazine rack :p

..the mission list only updates once per week with one mission?? bleh! This makes it almost completely useless. Something like this should populate daily.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Have they really added a mission every week? I can't remember how many I started with. And they're kind of boring so far, so they're easy to forget.

senador

Banned
How many floors total again? I am at 152, nearly there.

So, I love this game but they need to change some things I think. The game really needs to scale with your floors. VIPs are nearly worthless now and are few and far between. They either need to come up more, or do more. Take more time off my construction, have the big spender by 2 items out, have the celebrity do much much more. Something...

The coin rate should scale IMO too. It should be much faster than it is. I don't keep track buy something like 3 days to get a floor now? Ugh. They should make it 2 max if you are doing well with stocking. The other thing is how many coins you get for dollars. There is not point to cash in bucks for coins later in the game. Early on you could basically trade in a few for a floor, but not now. Now it barely dents your progress. There's not point in buying bucks either, which kind of hurts them I'd think. They ought to make it so that if I threw in a couple bucks I could either get a floor or be much closer to one. I wouldn't buy it myself, but I imagine many would if you could actually make progress late in the game with a few dollars. There's just no reason to buy from them, and not much reason to push forward. With scaling, it'd be more fun and you'd have reason to spend money. Win-win for us and them.

tl;dr Late in the game its just waiting, you can't really do much to hurry your progress, which sucks. They need ways to make that happen. Little reward to keep going other than to keep going. Make the game scale with progress.

Also, Tiny Tower got iPhone Game of the Year in iTunes Rewind from Apple.

Jasoco

Banned
Make that 19 million coins. And there are 152 floors which makes 153 if you count the Mezzanine. So you have one more floor.

aett

I'm at 148 floors and I'm going to be able to purchase my 149th soon. I'm so used to stocking floors whenever I'm bored that I'll probably keep playing this "game" for a while after I finish it.

senador

Banned
I deleted this game a couple days ago. Finally done.

Feel good?

Make that 19 million coins. And there are 152 floors which makes 153 if you count the Mezzanine. So you have one more floor.

Mezzanine? Is that the lobby?

Looks like I still need the animation studio, which will put me at 153.

I'm at 148 floors and I'm going to be able to purchase my 149th soon. I'm so used to stocking floors whenever I'm bored that I'll probably keep playing this "game" for a while after I finish it.

I haven't decided if I will. I played religiously but lately I go in spurts where I open it then just close it since it takes so long to go up all the floors for stocking. So I guess we'll see.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
How many floors total again? I am at 152, nearly there.

So, I love this game but they need to change some things I think. The game really needs to scale with your floors. VIPs are nearly worthless now and are few and far between. They either need to come up more, or do more. Take more time off my construction, have the big spender by 2 items out, have the celebrity do much much more. Something...

The coin rate should scale IMO too. It should be much faster than it is. I don't keep track buy something like 3 days to get a floor now? Ugh. They should make it 2 max if you are doing well with stocking. The other thing is how many coins you get for dollars. There is not point to cash in bucks for coins later in the game. Early on you could basically trade in a few for a floor, but not now. Now it barely dents your progress. There's not point in buying bucks either, which kind of hurts them I'd think. They ought to make it so that if I threw in a couple bucks I could either get a floor or be much closer to one. I wouldn't buy it myself, but I imagine many would if you could actually make progress late in the game with a few dollars. There's just no reason to buy from them, and not much reason to push forward. With scaling, it'd be more fun and you'd have reason to spend money. Win-win for us and them.

tl;dr Late in the game its just waiting, you can't really do much to hurry your progress, which sucks. They need ways to make that happen. Little reward to keep going other than to keep going. Make the game scale with progress.

Also, Tiny Tower got iPhone Game of the Year in iTunes Rewind from Apple.

Isn't that the point of this whole business model, though? Addict people and then make the requirements absolutely ridiculous so that you fork over the cash got 1000 coins, or whatever.

senador

Banned
Isn't that the point of this whole business model, though? Addict people and then make the requirements absolutely ridiculous so that you fork over the cash got 1000 coins, or whatever.

Yes and no. Nimblebit hasn't taken the Farmville route. You can play this game for free as many have. The problem they've made is that early on in the game its easy to drop a few bucks and and progress right then. I did it a few times.

This is all assuming you want to spend money for game bux (or earn game bux) to buy enough coins to get your next floor. Sure, there's speeding up floors which still helps but I imagine for most people its all about getting that next floor.

Late in the game, you'd have to spend absurd amounts to get enough coins for a new floor. Its so unreasonable that no one would do it. So, they are just hurting everyone by keeping it the way it is.

My next floor costs 3,511,350 coins. I have 1,652,xxx right now. If I wanted to build a new floor right now I'd need 1,859,350 coins or so. 100,000 coins cost 50 box, and 1,000 bux cost $29.99USD. 1,000 bux will net me 2,000,000 coins, but I have to tap the button to get coins 20 times. To do this right after building a floor you'd have to pay $40-$50USD. That is just too high. Even at 1,000,000 coins for a floor that is $15USD.

My suggestion would be to bring it down to a more reasonable level as the game goes along by either dishing out more bux and by making bux cheaper later on. This way you can either earn your way to the next floor faster or you can spend a a few real dollars to get there. They could also give you more coin per bux trade in. They should also up the coin rate slightly.

I wonder how many people keep on going like we have? I know 3-4 people IRL that quit around 20-25 floors. Maybe if the game kept a more steady pace more people would keep playing and if getting that next floor was just a couple bucks instead of $30+, they'd actually stand to make more money, and people would be having more fun.

Or maybe I'm retarded.

JEKKI

whooo~!!! I got the Tron Elevator!!!

it's super fast!! see that shyt?!?! I got the new iphone!!

Tron Elevator be all about that A5 8 megapixel processor shyt.

u dont even press buttons on it... u ask Siri to take u somewhere!

i got two jailbroken phones i can SSH into. how do i go about moving the tiny tower data on my phone over to my wifes? can i get a hand please?

Jasoco

Banned
No one knows. The game stores its save in the Keychain, not user save data. It is impossible to do the way you normally would.

But the game does save to a server once every 3 hours, but it's attached to your GameCenter user account. So if your wife is a separate person, it won't be the same person and won't sync.

No one knows. The game stores its save in the Keychain, not user save data. It is impossible to do the way you normally would.

But the game does save to a server once every 3 hours, but it's attached to your GameCenter user account. So if your wife is a separate person, it won't be the same person and won't sync.

that sucks. she wont let go of my phone....thanks for the info.

robox

got one bitizen with stats of 0, 0, 0, 0, 3
my friend countered with a 2, 0, 0, 0, 0

both were immediately and ruthlessly evicted

Jasoco

Banned
A Bitizen with a ZERO as a dream job in their dream job is still better than a Bitizen that isn't in their dream job. Because for every green smile you have, you get twice as many stock on that corresponding item in the store. So even if it's a 0, you still get a x2 multiplier.

Of course, replace him/her when you get someone better, but remember that tip.

Also, remember if you have time do what I do. Put a bitizen in their dream job, even if it's temporarily, just to get the 2 bux. If you have a business with 3 happy people already and get a fourth, temporarily remove one, put the new one in then evict them after collecting your bux, then put the original back. You'll rack up the bux in no time. Especially useful when you get close to the end and are trying to find the last Dreamers for your remaining stores. You'll get a LOT of people with dream jobs for other stores that already have 3 people, but if you have time, to the swap and collect method to collect a few extra bux. If you add to that method a bux to bring in a new person into the empty spot, you'll collect bux at a rate of +2 -1 +2 -1 +2 -1 +2... You'll always be ahead and will collect 2 bux for every 1 spent.

That is if you have free time and care enough to do it. Maybe while sitting around doing nothing or waiting for something.

robox

nah, didn't have his dream job. otherwise, i'd following the strategy of banking the bux, then evict.
up to 57 floors. 100 bitizen achievement, all businesses have requisite 3 employees (not all dreamers though), gonna quit this damn game.

A Bitizen with a ZERO as a dream job in their dream job is still better than a Bitizen that isn't in their dream job. Because for every green smile you have, you get twice as many stock on that corresponding item in the store. So even if it's a 0, you still get a x2 multiplier.

Of course, replace him/her when you get someone better, but remember that tip.

Also, remember if you have time do what I do. Put a bitizen in their dream job, even if it's temporarily, just to get the 2 bux. If you have a business with 3 happy people already and get a fourth, temporarily remove one, put the new one in then evict them after collecting your bux, then put the original back. You'll rack up the bux in no time. Especially useful when you get close to the end and are trying to find the last Dreamers for your remaining stores. You'll get a LOT of people with dream jobs for other stores that already have 3 people, but if you have time, to the swap and collect method to collect a few extra bux. If you add to that method a bux to bring in a new person into the empty spot, you'll collect bux at a rate of +2 -1 +2 -1 +2 -1 +2... You'll always be ahead and will collect 2 bux for every 1 spent.

That is if you have free time and care enough to do it. Maybe while sitting around doing nothing or waiting for something.

When I had 269 people with dream jobs, getting the last one netted me 400+ bucks. Just sayin'.

Though it took me about 3 days...
Good thing is now I have most of my floors memorized.

aett

I finished getting every store, bitizen, and dream job last week and I still check up on the game every now and then when I'm bored. I have five empty floors now just waiting for the next update.

dream

Here's my badge of shame.

Photo%202011-12-25%2012%2043%2008%20AM.png

beat

I'm around 125 floors. 90% dream jobs. Still working. Ugh.

I wish I could get the best elevator.
I got the best elevator at like 70-80 floors or something, and spent no real cash to do so. It just took ages of accumulating tower bux (I think by the end - I was playing constantly - I was making about 30 tower bux a day) and never ever spending them, except to move in new bitizens because I couldn't wait for a random chance of getting them in. But I'm only at 65% dream jobs though.

Jasoco

Banned
I'm draining all my stores to 0. Not sure why. Just wanted to do it. I have two items left with a total of 8000 stock before everyone is down to 0. I evicted all my non-dreamers so I have 16 empty slots there too. 52.7 million coins saved up. 402 bux.

I could really go for an update now.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Why are so many doing 154 floors, is there a particular reason? Don't the current available apartments/stores add up to number 153? Just want to confirm this before I get there, I don't want to uglify my complete tower with empty floors unless there's an update in the horizon.

Chopper

Why are so many doing 154 floors, is there a particular reason? Don't the current available apartments/stores add up to number 153? Just want to confirm this before I get there, I don't want to uglify my complete tower with empty floors unless there's an update in the horizon.

The figure includes the lobby as "1", so there are 153 unlockable floors + 1 lobby = 154.

Update please.

Jasoco

Banned
You are incorrect. It is 152 floors plus one lobby.

19 business * 5 types + 57 residential = 152 + 1 lobby

57 residential * 5 tennants = 285 bitizens

285 bitizens / 3 per business = 95 businesses / 5 = 19 per type

There are no more in the current version of the game. The highest floor you can get with something constructed in it is 153. Any more and you're waiting with an empty floor for an update.

dream

I have 154 because I had to make sure I built every possible floor. So now I have this ugly white box at the top of my tower.

Jasoco

Banned
For every update, they have to add a multiple of 10 new floors. 3 residential + 1 business * 5 types to make sure it all evens out and no strays are left behind. I just wonder when the next update will come if ever.

senador

Banned
For every update, they have to add a multiple of 10 new floors. 3 residential + 1 business * 5 types to make sure it all evens out and no strays are left behind. I just wonder when the next update will come if ever.

Its on hold at the moment, but it does sound like there will be one. I thought I'd keep playing but haven't opened it for quite some time. My wife keeps going though and keeps asking when an update is coming. I googled a bit ago and found this:

Dani Rudolph of Nimblebit said:
We are currently working on our next new game so the next Tiny Tower update will be delayed. Sorry, I don't have a better estimate of when it will be released.

Source: http://getsatisfaction.com/nimblebit/topics/_finished_tiny_tower_1_5_1_time_to_the_next_update

I imagine getting game of the year from iTunes and getting more people in on it will inspire them to keep supporting it.

Gileadxv

Banned
I decided to finally see what this was all about and install it yesterday on my phone. I'm surprised at how addicting it is. I still can't figure out why, but I'm constantly checking in on it, restocking, etc. I like that you can play for 2 minutes and put it down.

zethren

Banned
Haven't really played tiny tower since the summer, but I want to start anew.

Is there any way to delete your tower and start over? Or do you have to systematically delete each floor? Would love to just click "reset" if possible.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

Is there any way to delete your tower and start over? Or do you have to systematically delete each floor? Would love to just click "reset" if possible.

Settings has a 'reset game' option, but I'm not sure what it does exactly besides the obvious.

Game is tons of fun. Sad part is I'm on my phone all day, and it only takes 2 mins to do my stuff with it, but I always forget :(

Is there a way to get it to give me a notification in the top bar more than once every two days or whatever?

senador

Banned

Settings has a 'reset game' option, but I'm not sure what it does exactly besides the obvious.

It does the obvious. Resets the entire game, I did it twice when starting while figuring it out. I'm not sure about achievements though. If you wanted to do those too you could reset the game, then delete it. When you delete a game it asks if you want to remove it from Game Center as well.

Game is tons of fun. Sad part is I'm on my phone all day, and it only takes 2 mins to do my stuff with it, but I always forget :(

Is there a way to get it to give me a notification in the top bar more than once every two days or whatever?

Nope. It just notifies you when the next thing is ready to be stocked, but only once. Add the notification to notification center and when it comes up on the top bar, don't tap it. This will make it stay in notification center until you can get to the game.

mattiewheels

I'm at 127 floors, trying to get close to 150 by the time they update but that seems crazy seeing how I forget to play so often. Maybe they're waiting for me to get there before they update?

Top Bottom