• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tips for using NeoGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was not aware that there was a standard of etiquette for snips.... was I not suppose to include the scroll bar or something? I'll have to live with this for the rest of my life won't I?
I guess the person is referring to the "rectangular snip" in your pic.

lol 300 posts is all i need to become a member. Too bad i like to be the creepy guy at a party who came by himself and is overhearing everyone's conversation. Wonder how many posts i have. If i had to guess its probably reaching 100.
You can see your posts and average post rate in your profile page.

Cyan

Banned
Any chance the tweet tag could be activated? Posting tweets on the forum is currently very awkward.

Your options are just copy+paste the text, which is the quickest and easiest way, but suffers from low visibility when users are scanning a thread looking for updates. It's also not easy to check the source, unless the poster includes a link to the tweet or account.

The best thing at the moment is a screenshot of a tweet, but that is a multiple step process, made potentially even more difficult if you are on mobile and/or have to crop/resize the screenshot. And still suffers from the same issue of making it hard for people to view the actual source tweet.

Plus, neither option allows you to embed a tweet with a GIF or video.

Given how many threads are started (or given a major update) on just one tweet, this would be a huge QoL improvement.

IIRC the tweet embedding was briefly active when this iteration of neogaf was kicked off a couple years ago, but along with the "who quoted me" feature, was turned off due to server overhead.

I think EL has previously mentioned the possibility of another iteration in the next year or two, so maybe when that happens some of these features can be added in? I don't know though, this isn't really my area.

PtM

Banned
Some more mobile tweaks. First, how to ignore:

178qM0Y.gif

Second, observe how tapping the gif throws a 403.
You can circumvent this by using HTTPS in the image URL.

178qM0Y.gif

HeySeuss

Using the ignore feature is for chumps. There's nothing anyone can say to me during a conversation that would make me so upset that I would feel the need to stick my fingers in my ears and pretend that person doesn't exist. If somebody says something too out of line they'll be banned.

Healthy debate is important and I'm not going to shout into an echo chamber because someone doesn't like me. I've seen people brag about their ignore list being 50+ people. That's insane to me. There's no way you remember what you ignored that many people for and that's just petty.

PtM

Banned
Another mobile trick:
Backslashes normally don't register: ¯_(ツ)_/¯
You need to escape the character... with another backslash:
Code:
¯\\_(ツ)_/¯

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
If you gank someone in B/S/T, you will have a hard time living it down

Most tags are embarassing, you only think you want one

Community is underrated

Bumping is a dangerous game, but I say go for it

How do I receive instant emails for subscribed threads?

As of right now I only receive emails for PMs

edit:

more details

- I have it set to automatically subscribe to ALL new threads I post in, but with NO email notifications on them (Default Thread Subscription Mode: No email Notification)

- However for TWO specific threads I have instant email notification check ENABLED but I NEVER receive emails from them at all.

How do I receive instant emails for subscribed threads?

As of right now I only receive emails for PMs
Do you really want this? Depending on the activity of the thread you're going to be flooded with emails of new posts. Just follow a standard pattern whenever you log in to click on your subscribed threads, check the latest posts and then check that subscription list periodically as you browse the forum.

Do you really want this? Depending on the activity of the thread you're going to be flooded with emails of new posts. Just follow a standard pattern whenever you log in to click on your subscribed threads, check the latest posts and then check that subscription list periodically as you browse the forum.

as a default setting to subscribed threads? No absolutely not.

for those two specific threads where I have instant notification enabled? Yes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom