• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall beta on Xbox One will open up to everyone

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I assume you need Xbox Gold to download this and play it?

post-31074-J-Jonah-Jameson-laughing-gif-S-NWLY.gif

Brannon

They should have done that in the first place.

No way, build up hype by keeping it 'exclusive' to a lucky few, then unleash it to everybody when everybody else is at a fever pitch. It is the Cartman way.

Or make people buy the system earlier before release date just to try the open beta?

If you're going to spend $500 on a X1 just to play a beta of a game that will come out in a month odds are you were going to spend $500 on a x1 in a month to begin with. Too think this is a move to sell systems a beta is nuts. MS is throwing a bone and hopefull to drive more sales of the game by exposing it to their whole userbase.

Yes, they want the most people to experience it and build up the hype. There's absolutely nothing wrong or strange about that statement, or sentiment.

Read that statement again. X1 owners are going to love the beta so much it will sell them on buying another one?

If you're going to spend $500 on a X1 just to play a beta of a game that will come out in a month odds are you were going to spend $500 on a x1 in a month to begin with. Too think this is a move to sell systems a beta is nuts. MS is throwing a bone and hopefull to drive more sales of the game by exposing it to their whole userbase.

Read that statement again. X1 owners are going to love the beta so much it will sell them on buying another one?

No, they want X1 owners to get so excited about the game that they convince their FRIENDS to buy an X1. It's really pretty simple, actually.

Granted lots of folks have a 360 and don't care about getting an X1 for it since the majority of the playerbase will be on 360, but at the same time if your buddy has an X1 and is going to get it on that system, and he's hyped as hell about the game and trying to talk you into getting an X1 so you can play together (since the MP does not cross over between 360 and X1), then MS marketing has done their job in getting people hyped about the game enough on X1 that they might 'push' the system more on their friends just so they can play together.

DryvBy

Wha...wh....wha......huh? 99% of everything I've heard people say is that it lives up to the hype and then some. It's definitely the most fun I've had in an FPS in YEARS.

Where did you read this at? I've heard most people say, COD/Brink with mechs. Which is what it really is. And I'm fine with that. But the hype was a level of something you'd not want to put down, a system seller, and then some. This isn't the game that's going to do that.

No, they want X1 owners to get so excited about the game that they convince their FRIENDS to buy an X1. It's really pretty simple, actually.

Could be a byproduct of their intentional goal but too say it's their primary reason is a big stretch. To me it's simply an effort to increase the attach rate for the game on the particular system.

KoopaTheCasual

No, read my comment again. Getting more people talking about it, who otherwise wouldn't have played it, builds up hype. That generates more word of mouth that will get people wanting to invest in the ecosystem for games like that, when they hear that "Jimmy tried this awesome game on his Xbox One called Titanfall."

Are you really going to try and argue such an obvious point?

Edit: If the point of this wasn't to make the Xbox One ecosystem more appealing (duh), why isn't there an open beta on PC or 360?

Edit2: So there will be a PC beta, but it's date is not final. But the XB1 is first and foremost.

That's a far stretch. I won't say this won't happen, but it's several leaps of assumptions from a marketing's POV.

I think it's really just a case of MS/EA wanting Titanfall to be as big as it possibly can, and that on its own will drive Xbox adoption. Titanfall is currently being viewed and seen as a Xbox-affliated game brand, and the bigger TF becomes, the more Xbox benefits.

Even if it goes multiplat later, the initial install base and leanings will be shifted towards Xbox anyway. Mass Effect games, from what I recall, never sold terribly well on Playstation ( good enough, however ) because the adoption and leaning that was established from the first game + timed exclusive of the second already did the best job it could.

This is why I believe MS really screwed up by not having XB1 launching in more countries before the titan falls. There will be at least a respectable % of gamers, who have little option but picking up TF on PC/360 in the tier-2 countries, and in those countries, the brand affiliation will not be significant.

Caayn

This move only confirms my thoughts about this being one giant marketing ploy. Otherwise they would have stated it earlier.

This is something that should've been done in the first place, not after. Especially with this very short demo beta.

KoopaTheCasual

That's a far stretch. I won't say this won't happen, but it's several leaps of assumptions from a marketing's POV.

I think it's really just a case of MS/EA wanting Titanfall to be as big as it possibly can, and that on its own will drive Xbox adoption. Titanfall is currently being viewed and seen as a Xbox-affliated game brand, and the bigger TF becomes, the more Xbox benefits.

Even if it goes multiplat later, the initial install base and leanings will be shifted towards Xbox anyway. Mass Effect games, from what I recall, never sold terribly well on Playstation ( good enough, however ) because the adoption and leaning that was established from the first game + timed exclusive of the second already did the best job it could.
Ehh, it seems like MS is really just trying to sweeten the deal, and less of an EA push. No one questions that Sony keeps providing IGC with plus, even though multiplayer is now paywalled. It's an obvious attempt to make their ecosystem look really appealing, even if the offer is only extended to people already in the ecosystem. It creates really positive buzz to push the system.

rokkerkory

This move only confirms my thoughts about this being one giant marketing ploy. Otherwise they would have stated it earlier.

This is something that should've been done in the first place, not after. Especially with this very short demo beta.

Agree here

Str1ke4

Where did you read this at? I've heard most people say, COD/Brink with mechs. Which is what it really is. And I'm fine with that. But the hype was a level of something you'd not want to put down, a system seller, and then some. This isn't the game that's going to do that.

Anyone that says its just "COD with mechs" hasn't actually played the game

Card Boy

Banned
If someone wants a Xbone code.

22366-HMKC7-V47HT-Q7VWX-73X2Z

I didn't even sign up for it, i went PC. No point selling it on ebay now.

Tecl0n

Considering how open minded were the EA support about giving away keys, i'm not surprised this was their endgame. Although, one wonders, if those who sold the keys are probably dying of laughter.

Considering how open minded were the EA support about giving away keys, i'm not surprised this was their endgame. Although, one wonders, if those who sold the keys are probably dying of laughter.

I'm sure those individuals feel terrible right now, selling a product that within such a short time lost all its value.

giphy.gif

Just terrible

Top Bottom