• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall Beta (PC/Xbone) Impressions (No Key Begging/Trading or I will ban you!)

Xyber

This game runs like shit on my laptop. I have a Lenovo Y580 with an NVIDIA Gefoce GTX 660M, 8GB RAM, intel i7 processor on Windows 8 64-bit. Can somebody help me? Here's what the game looks like:

Those artifacts can be driver related. I can also get that when I have an unstable overclock in BF4, but since you have a mobile GPU that shouldn't be the case unless you have some way of downclocking it a bit?

So what is everyone's opinions on Titan loadouts? Which primary weapon and which abilities?

I personally stick with the chaingun and shield, nuclear detination as a perk.

Same, I have auto eject for the fools that runs to try to grab so I can jump on them and fuck them out.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I've been going back and forth with my Titan loadouts. Was using the chaingun for a long time as it's really easy to kill pilots with it and it's no slouch in combat, but the 40mm is what I have for now. Still decent at getting players and it's more solid in combat. Haven't actually tried quad rockets yet.

I have the perk to lower cooldown on the ordnance, and survivor for the other ones. Electric smoke on them all too.

Still can help plenty when action get hectic and the enemies have to pay attention to many things on screen.

Eh. Personally it sticks out to me, and is a good way to see amongst the chaos who is a real player on the ground.

I do see a lot of people just pop it and run around in buildings like I can't see them. Shotty to the face.

After getting the damn game working I'm going to say this.

Activision should be very worried and should be pressuring the CoD devs to innovate. The game is probably the best multiplayer shooter I've played in a very long time.

Rnr1224

So what is everyone's opinions on Titan loadouts? Which primary weapon and which abilities?

I go with the chaingun and the smoke. I like to get in close to get the smoke up then a couple melee attacks. I also like the auto-eject as it gives me a chance to rodeo any titans.

Eh. Personally it sticks out to me, and is a good way to see amongst the chaos who is a real player on the ground.

I do see a lot of people just pop it and run around in buildings like I can't see them. Shotty to the face.

Is not 100% infalible, but more than once my shotgun craeted caos thanks to it.

Find it more useful than that sprint skill. (at least on Angel City on Fracture being so open cloak is like a big mark on your head)

BraXzy

I go with the chaingun and the smoke. I like to get in close to get the smoke up then a couple melee attacks. I also like the auto-eject as it gives me a chance to rodeo any titans.

Yeah I have auto-eject because it goes nicely with my nuke.

Do you not miss the shield? It has gotten me out of so many sticky situations.

Xyber

Might try it with my 144Hz monitor later, I've only been gaming on my 60Hz so far

I ahve a 780Ti and i7-4770k too so I should be able to power my way to 144

The game is locked to 60FPS with Vsync off and stutters like hell with Vsync on for me and plenty of others. Also crazy mouse lag.

Only way to get more than 60FPS on any 120/144Hz monitor is to use Vsync, which is unplayable for me. When I did try it I got like 90-130FPS with my 680 and i7 4770K.

jwk94

Those artifacts can be driver related. I can also get that when I have an unstable overclock in BF4, but since you have a mobile GPU that shouldn't be the case unless you have some way of downclocking it a bit?

I have no clue how I would do that.

Heysoos

This game runs like shit on my laptop. I have a Lenovo Y580 with an NVIDIA Gefoce GTX 660M, 8GB RAM, intel i7 processor on Windows 8 64-bit. Can somebody help me? Here's what the game looks like:

My laptop runs extremely shitty too. Systems with lower specs run better than mine at higher settings. If you find out what's giving you poor performance shoot me a PM. I gave up on trying to run it on my laptop.

Deadbeat

Banned

Smoke is handy at damaging pilots on your back/people that walk through it. I use the chaingun with the rapid accelerator, but even with the 150 round mag Im thinking Ill pop back to the extended mag where its only 90. Its great and all when you get it rounded up but I love charging in and punching because people try to swing back but I get far enough away that they miss but then get close enough for me to counter.

Dumbfire missiles are great for clearing buildings and stuff.

6 Titans vs 6 Titans is easily the BEST game mode.

I don't see myself playing much else. Attrition is annoying with all the dumb bots. All they do is make it hard to see the actual players.

I'm having fun. I am starting to think it could have used a single-player campaign mode though.

BraXzy

so this is pretty neat but is there any word on what variety of modes will be there in the final release

Nothing like that has been confirmed.. I'm really interested to see what the final playlist looks like. I'm excited to get my hands o the finished thing in general.. give it to me nowwwwwwww!

We should try and come up with some interesting game modes as a point of discussion.

I was thinking one where each team only has a single Titan that they need to protect on auto mode with extra HP, I know it's kind of cliche but it could be cool. You might try to just kamikaze on top of it and try to take it out or whatever.

This right here. Smoke in a 1v1 Titan fight is OP. So many times I dashed away from other Titan's using shield only for them to miss.

Daingurse

I don't see myself playing much else. Attrition is annoying with all the dumb bots. All they do is make it hard to see the actual players.

I'm having fun. I am starting to think it could have used a single-player campaign mode though.

I enjoy Attrition, but I fucking love Last Titan Standing.

Papercuts

Is not 100% infalible, but more than once my shotgun craeted caos thanks to it.

Find it more useful than that sprint skill. (at least on Angel City on Fracture being so open cloak is like a big mark on your head)

For sure, it definitely has its uses. I feel that way about everything in the game which is one of the reasons I like it so much.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I think its the map fracture.. with the frank lloyd wright style houses.. I love that map so much. I can't wait to see what the rest of the world looks like. Even if the fidelity is a little lackluster, the detail in this game is on par with the very best.

BraXzy

Do you think a race game mode could work?

I was thinking.. wouldn't it be cool if they did an objective based mode that was kinda of like hit the checkpoint to score a point and then it would move to another location. But if it was pilot only you could have the checkpoints up high and halfway across billboards so the people who free run and maneuver fastest get more points.

Duxxy3

This seems to be a pattern I am seeing.

Hopefully with Titanfall 2.

Papercuts

This game has a ton of potential for amazing modes. One I was thinking of would be a round based rotation where one player on each team gets a beefed up super titan that the rest of the team protects/attacks the other one.

Or going crazier, imagine if they had a larger titan that had multiple 'brains' and your whole team could all be on it at the same time doing a rodeo.

A friend of mine was describing a similar issue while trying to play on his laptop. He found the solution from using this in Nvidia Control Panel. He said it was like night and day when playing in matches with me after changing those settings.

Milennia

we do not yet know how many weapons are actually in the full game, they are pretty hush hush on that subject.

however, i hope there are enough to warrant symthics attention so we can get some decent sheets.

I've played a bit of it. Holy shit this thing is killing my laptop, and too bad I can't play it on my proper rig since I chose not to go home for the weekend. Bummer.

Impressions:

Movement is fun and fluid. I expected this to be the best part of the whole thing, and it does well. It takes the best parts of ME, Brink, and 3rd-person adventure games with traversal aspects and stream it down to only focus on making it intuitive. The ME fan is me prefers it if there was a little more vomit-inducing part to the movement, like having look at environments vertically when wall-running, but I would imagine that to frustrate a ton of people.

Bots. Holy shit. I personally expected this to be good, but it was meh. Now, I fully understand why they're there for what they serve, and they serve their purpose well, but I do think that the implementation is poor. The bots added cluster and chaos to the battlefield by padding the numbers, but I didn't think they added to the immersion. I don't expect them to be excellent AIs, but I think that if the objective was to make newbies feel good by killing creep and directing pilots to objectives, throwing up grunts didn't feel as good as I thought it'd be.

Titans. It's been said already, but I generally echo what's being said in that it's not as fun as it looks. Pilot-play feels better, and it's more satisfying to utilise Titans in different manners anyway.

IMO, the best thing that Titanfall has delivered thus far in terms of experience is 'set-piece-in-the-moment.' By making moment-to-moment gameplay be filled with opportunities and well-crafted sequences that make you feel like a total badass from a mech movie/cutscene, the game amplifies the excitement.

Basically I think it succeeded where BF4 failed with stupid gimmicks like Levelution, where instead of crafting set-pieces that push you into a badass cinematic moment, the game instead gives you bite-sized set-piece moments like great level design that allows you to pull off slices of things like:

- your first super long-range parkour and level jumping
- your Titanfall drop
-your holy shit I landed on a Titan to destroy it
-your aircraft drop sequence

Titanfall's best achievement imo, is those things. The game's ability to contextually deliver these moments that are not inferior to well-crafted set-piece moments, added with solid fast-paced gameplay is Titanfall's key differentiator.

Because once I settled everything down, and tried to think that aside from the faster gameplay ( which will most likely be copied and stolen by every competitor FPSes in the next 12 months ), it's those implementations that stand out. Not the mechs, not the bots, but the overall ability to create those moments.

I fully expect Activision and DICE to start implementing parts of that into their CoDs and Battlefields starting next year. Probably something like the ability to wall-scale, jump on tanks to immediately set explosives, etc.

kaskade

I feel like Attrition matches need to last a little longer. Seems like once I start to get a groove going I hear them saying the match is almost over.

So, from what I can tell the game is like CoD except with more mobility and twitch shooting (and mechs obviously).

Can anyone confirm/deny that? If this is true and it's a successful game and we get more FPS games with those sorts of mechanics I will be very happy.

Leb

So what are the chances they'll relent on the player count issue? I get the reason for 6v6, but they could give players the option of 12v12 matches with a rotating queue of 6 Titans per team or something....

Cause right now, maps pretty much ARE ghost towns, because the AI fodder really counts for less than nothing and they're just super unsatisfying to engage.

Rubenov

I was ready to give up and then I started playing Last Titan Standing for the past 2 hours.

Sooooooooooooooooooo much more fun. I don't even care about the other modes lol.

Same here. My favorite mode by far.

Also, if you're playing Last Titan Standing and you set your Titan on auto-pilot to go on foot, you're doing it wrong.

XxCGSxX

My rig: AMD fx 8320, 8gb ram, MSI R9 270 oced similar to a 270x.
Now can someone explain to me why I can run games like Left 4 Dead 2 at similar settings 8xmsaa everything high and Anti. 16x 1080p but with Titanfall my framerate drops to 40-50 when shits blowing up and specially inside a titan. It even drops sometimes when I dropped it to 4x MSAA. Please explain GAF! I hope it's just because it's a beta :/ I made myself this pc just because of Titanfall.

jbug617

Banned
Just played about 2 hrs on Xbox One. The only modes I tried where Attrition and Hardpoint. It was pretty fun. I have to get use to the jumping but killing Titans with the anti-Titan weapons made it fun for me.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

what resolution are you running? gpu is probably choking

Do you think a race game mode could work?

I was thinking.. wouldn't it be cool if they did an objective based mode that was kinda of like hit the checkpoint to score a point and then it would move to another location. But if it was pilot only you could have the checkpoints up high and halfway across billboards so the people who free run and maneuver fastest get more points.

I've been thinking about this for Mirror's Edge 2 since the first game came out for how multiplayer could work, and it's an awesome idea. I just want parkour races in games.

Love the mobility in this game. Just traversing the map is so fun. Game is so fast as well. I think they found a good balance with the titans. Not making them overpowered but not making them so weak they're useless.

Top Bottom