• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall Beta Players: Is "Revolutionary" and "Game Changer" accurate?

gatti-man

And that is what cheapens the game. That's an excuse for poor AI and limited technical abilities of its lead platform. They could at least put up a fight. I don't find a load of respawning target dummies as a good thing in a FPS except if I am doing a training exercise. Besides Pilots are worth more and help you get your Titan faster than bots and at leas half of the match time you won't even come across a human player.

I just don't see why people would pay $60 for a game that feels technically inferior to games from 2 years ago and does nothing really new.

If you aren't instantly coming across pilots your not paying attention or camping. I don't think you get this game at all.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The above information with the maps, should we make a topic on it? Would you mind I credit you RazorUK?

Why would it be? In past pure skill FPS, it was about not just who spotted who first, but who aimed truer, who aimed at the spot that did the most damage and who managed to avoid the most bullets from the opponents. There's a lot more that goes into it.

It would still be who aims first. There's a reason why past fps gave you health bars, health pick ups and all that jazz. That's because each individual bullet did far less damage, so your ability to avoid most of them actually mattered. The change to regenerating health and greatly increased damage output means it's see's first wins. That combined 1 hit kill melee which they decided to balance around. Leads to the current gameplay. kill streaks just compounded that fact.

Peaks etc are simply a replacement to the invincibility, invisibility, increased damage, of old They're not the reason the first to see kills situation occurs.

Amir0x

Banned
yeah you're probably right, Call of Duty competitive multiplayer would still suck even with the changes. Guess I was being too optimistic in my head :p

Of course, they could also have a mode that changes the amount of damage bullets do, as well as regenerating health... but that might be actual work :eek:

-MD-

It would still be who aims first. There's a reason why past fps gave you health bars, health pick ups and all that jazz. That's because each individual bullet did far less damage, so your ability to avoid most of them actually mattered. The change to regenerating health and greatly increased damage output means it's see's first wins. That combined 1 hit kill melee which they decided to balance around. Leads to the current gameplay. kill streaks just compounded that fact.

You said it better than I did.

Of course, they could also have a mode that changes the amount of damage bullets do, as well as regenerating health... but that might be actual work :eek:

Regenerating HP in multiplayer is just a huge no-no for me, I'd love to see that mechanic get phased out in online games.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
yeah you're probably right, Call of Duty competitive multiplayer would still suck even with the changes. Guess I was being too optimistic in my head :p

Honestly this game would be awesome if they allowed dedicated server lobbt's with the ability to extensively change the rules, no melee OHKO and greatly increased health would transform this game. Also increase the accuracy of shots without using iron sights. It'd be the UT2k4 replacement I'd been hoping for, for so long. Manual healing would be nice too.

Though I still think Titans should be able to kill you fairly quickly.

I have put 6 hours in the beta so far and it is okay. Not going to buy the game now and will just go back to BF. Always been more of a BF guy though as far back as MoH:AA vs 1942.

CoLaN

I used to play Quake 3 Arena a lot. You could move from one point of the map to another with rocket jumps, or even thanks to the granades explosions.

The mobility was amazing, and your character didnt stick to a wall by simply jumping on it. You could reach incredible speed, gain amazing momentum.

There were no auto aim pistols, or one-shot kill shotguns.
So, i dont see anything revolutionary in Titanfall, and i played the beta for hours. Sure its fun, but when i go around one shot killing people with the shotgun (or get killed in one shot) while my character glues to the walls by simply jumping over them, i only see a watered down experience of Quake 3, requiring a lot less skill.

I am reading how people playing with a controller "stomp" other players, even mouse + keyboard users.
Sorry, but thats a bad sign for me: i love playing games with a controller, but mouse + keyboard simply gives a lot faster turning and reaction times. If an user with a controller is able to play as good as a m+k user because he/she gets a partial auto aim, i find that ridiculous.
Again, if someone used a controller in quake 3 arena and played against m+k users, he/she would get destroyed, and not be able to rocket jump or move in a way even remotely similar.

Just my 2 cents.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I used to play Quake 3 Arena a lot. You could move from one point of the map to another with rocket jumps, or even thanks to the granades explosions.

The mobility was amazing, and your character didnt stick to a wall by simply jumping on it. You could reach incredible speed, gain amazing momentum.

So, i dont see anything revolutionary in Titanfall, and i played the beta for hours. Sure its fun, but when i go around one shot killing people with the shotgun (or get killed in one shot) while my character glues to the walls by simply jumping over them, i only see a watered down experience of Quake 3, requiring a lot less skill.

Just my 2 cents.
I do like and prefer the general movement of Titanfall, it's much smoother and seeing someone who can do it well looks awesome. It's mostly the legacy of CoD that brings it down,

But it sure as hell more fun than most recent shooters without that ability. Oh true double jump how I missed you.

I think too many people are thinking to narrowly when looking at this game.

First, I see a lot of people complaining about how stupid the bots are and that they should go away because they exist just for noobs and what not. This is an incredibly elitist and condescending stance to take and doesn't help the long term success of the fast paced FPS genre at all. As someone who has gone from virtually no experience to maxing out in TitanFall I can say without a doubt that having the bots there is a huge boost for new players. It allows new players to cut their teeth on some easy targets, get used to movement and aiming and not feel like they're getting dominated so completely that they get frustrated and leave. If anything, people should be celebrating how accessible TitanFall is to new players because it could increase the player base of other more "competitive" FPS games as new players gain skill.

Some people are also complaining about not being able to identify bots vs pilots very easily and I think this is where some of the skill is for the better players. As I progressed I eventually thought, yea it'd be great if pilots were marked differently, not just on the map but also right there in the field. It's a valid tactic for a person to run around with some grunts and take out other pilots as the other pilot is shooting at the grunts not realizing there is a real human in the mix who will easily take them out. There is, initially, a real challenge in identifying human players vs bots and prioritizing your enemies. In the end though, it's better that grunts and pilots look the same on the field because it'd remove that tactic from the gameplay.

I think the game is game changer at least in the FPS genre because it is very accessible for a wide range of players with a wide range of skill level. It can serve as training wheels for more competitive FPS games while still just being a genuinely fun time. This is going to sell really well by taking away some CoD players, maybe BF players but certainly a ton of new people.

NIN90

I still think BRINK had better parkour (sans the double jump). So sad how everything around that game turned out.

no angel

Just hit level 14, really enjoyed it. That speed boost surprises a lot of people, if you punch it right at the beginning in angel city you can beat the opposing team to the rooftops and guarantee yourself at least a double kill of enemy pilots. The smg is my favourite weapon out of the limited pick, the dmr is pretty good but I don't like the way it slows the game down.

Count me in the 'stick your Titan in follow mode' group, I love parkouring around the levels to get the drop on enemy pilots, it's just too much fun.

After the earlier map count revelation all I want to know now is how many weapons we're going to get.

2San

I used a hex editor on one of the data files and I believe these are the map names:

angel city
colony
fracture
relic
airbase
boneyard
corporate
outpost
lagoon
rise
smugglers cove
training ground
overlook
nexus

I found the strings for the map images, so I think I'm correct.
Sounds decent enough.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I hope the sequel adds a grapling hook then we can finally have a Fall on Titan video game.

I am reading how people playing with a controller "stomp" other players, even mouse + keyboard users.
Sorry, but thats a bad sign for me: i love playing games with a controller, but mouse + keyboard simply gives a lot faster turning and reaction times. If an user with a controller is able to play as good as a m+k user because he/she gets a partial auto aim, i find that ridiculous.
Again, if someone used a controller in quake 3 arena and played against m+k users, he/she would get destroyed, and not be able to rocket jump or move in a way even remotely similar.

Just my 2 cents.

Controller player here. Mouse aiming is probably much better. there is no "quick look to the side" button like in Mirror's Edge, so those kinds of quick acrobatics aren't easy at all.

Wonko_C

Finally played some 3 hours of the beta, it's fun but it gets old quick. I would buy it if it was a $15 XBLA release, not a full disc game. Graphics look low budget too.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
I was expecting something more than COD with parkour and mechs.

I expected too much. :(

Still having fun, though, since I haven't played a COD in years.

it's a bummer. this isn't a game for me, but it is a game which takes people who are on the opposite side of the mechanical preference spectrum and moves them closer to me. i can only hope it supplants CoD as the mainstream FPS of choice.

what i'd do for a pro-mod which completely rewrote the weapon handling, upped the player count and removed the grunts and perks.

hwy_61

Banned
I played it for about an hour yesterday, and I got really bored with it. I don't know man, maybe it's me? It felt a lot like CoD. I mean a lot.

Talamius

IMO evolutionary, not revolutionary. Gunplay is very CODish but the parkour elements are a welcome addition. Mech...errr...Titan combat is fun and fast paced but like others I think it's best used as a diversion.

The smart pistol is a direct nod to controller players. Once in range and brought up, it aims and locks for you and you need only fire once. It does all the work. Noticing that it seems to be the popular loadout but that's just my ancedotal experience.

Played a few matches and was already getting tired of it. That's not a good sign. So far I feel like it's a $40 game, not a $60 one.

Can we get some links in the OP to the type of hype being alluded to? Most everything I've seen hyped Titanfall as an incredibly fun game that will sell systems. I think it lives up to the fun part and we'll find out if it's a system seller soon enough.

I'm genuinely curious who said it would revolutionize the games industry.

DryvBy

First, I see a lot of people complaining about how stupid the bots are and that they should go away because they exist just for noobs and what not. This is an incredibly elitist and condescending stance to take and doesn't help the long term success of the fast paced FPS genre at all. As someone who has gone from virtually no experience to maxing out in TitanFall I can say without a doubt that having the bots there is a huge boost for new players. It allows new players to cut their teeth on some easy targets, get used to movement and aiming and not feel like they're getting dominated so completely that they get frustrated and leave. If anything, people should be celebrating how accessible TitanFall is to new players because it could increase the player base of other more "competitive" FPS games as new players gain skill.

Some people are also complaining about not being able to identify bots vs pilots very easily and I think this is where some of the skill is for the better players. As I progressed I eventually thought, yea it'd be great if pilots were marked differently, not just on the map but also right there in the field. It's a valid tactic for a person to run around with some grunts and take out other pilots as the other pilot is shooting at the grunts not realizing there is a real human in the mix who will easily take them out. There is, initially, a real challenge in identifying human players vs bots and prioritizing your enemies. In the end though, it's better that grunts and pilots look the same on the field because it'd remove that tactic from the gameplay.

I think the game is game changer at least in the FPS genre because it is very accessible for a wide range of players with a wide range of skill level. It can serve as training wheels for more competitive FPS games while still just being a genuinely fun time. This is going to sell really well by taking away some CoD players, maybe BF players but certainly a ton of new people.

Me personally, I don't agree with the new world's philosophy of giving everyone a gold star for trying. No, you suck and you keep your eye on the prize. That prize is getting skilled and mastering the game. Think of it as a game of chess. If you were really good at it and you wanted to be competitive, do you think it would be fair that the less advanced player has a computer helping him find moves?

That's not elitism. That's just being competitive. Might as well allow exploits in a game if it helps new players with that mentality.

I don't feel the bots should be removed IF they fixed the bots could easily be distinguished between other players with either a different color. Until then, they're there to grind for Titans and confuse others as to who is who in the game. I'm already seeing people hanging out with the bots to blend in. It's annoying to me.

Can we get some links in the OP to the type of hype being alluded to? Most everything I've seen hyped Titanfall as an incredibly fun game that will sell systems. I think it lives up to the fun part and we'll find out if it's a system seller soon enough.

I'm genuinely curious who said it would revolutionize the games industry.

I've quoted some from Forbes and I was also talking about general comments (Google them), and then you can get the same feeling from IGN's preview that Amir0x posted.

nynt9

IMO evolutionary, not revolutionary. Gunplay is very CODish but the parkour elements are a welcome addition. Mech...errr...Titan combat is fun and fast paced but like others I think it's best used as a diversion.

The smart pistol is a direct nod to controller players. Once in range and brought up, it aims and locks for you and you need only fire once. It does all the work. Noticing that it seems to be the popular loadout but that's just my ancedotal experience.

Played a few matches and was already getting tired of it. That's not a good sign. So far I feel like it's a $40 game, not a $60 one.

It feels more comparable to a F2P game like Blacklight Retribution. Doesn't feel like there's enough meat and potential variety to justify $60. I would have expected more variety (different classes and weapon types, maybe like TF2) from a multiplayer only title at full price.

The movement also feels like CoD + wallrunning instead of a smoother, more Quake or Tribes-like system. As others have said, it's not a revolution - it feels like taking the mechanics of CoD and tacking on some other stuff. I got bored of it fairly fast.

I've quoted some from Forbes and I was also talking about general comments (Google them), and then you can get the same feeling from IGN's preview that Amir0x posted.

Forbes contributors? That IGN preview is their typical gushing and worthless tripe, but still the closest thing in it I see to "game-changer" is "Titanfall is going to make it very hard to go back to other shooters".

I guess it's subjective but I think the revolutionary label is being overblown here. I agree the game is being hyped to hell but I don't see anyone saying it's the next Super Mario Bros. I do see plenty of people saying the game will sell a shit-ton of units and a shit-ton of consoles, and that will be easily proven or disproven in the coming months.

angrygnat

People like to throw around words like revolutionary and game changing all the time. It's way over used. To be revolutionary the gaming landscape would have to be different after Titanfall. To be game changing, it would need to have elements never before seen that would be a requirement in FPS after it's release. So far what I've seen is just an expansion of the genre. That's not a knock on Titanfall. I'm just trying to tap the brakes a little. It's going to be fun, but it's more of an incremental improvement than the revolutionary game changer that some are making it out to be.

Just my 2 cents.
This game isn't for hardcore old school FPS players, it's for a more casual audience.

Kyzon

It's not game changing, but it is extremely fun.

Unreal Championship 2 was doing the whole jumping on wall thing, and sending shots back 2 generations ago.

It basically mixes older, kinda forgotten ideas and modern ideas with a fun twist. I see myself playing a lot in the future.

DryvBy

Forbes contributors? That IGN preview is their typical gushing and worthless tripe, but still the closest thing in it I see to "game-changer" is "Titanfall is going to make it very hard to go back to other shooters".

I guess it's subjective but I think the revolutionary label is being overblown here. I agree the game is being hyped to hell but I don't see anyone saying it's the next Super Mario Bros. I do see plenty of people saying the game will sell a shit-ton of units and a shit-ton of consoles, and that will be easily proven or disproven in the coming months.

You asked for sources. I provided. You can look around and see these words. Sure, they're pure hyperbole but the question was for players who had heard the same thing. If you didn't hear it, then congratulations. I've heard it from people at work, friends, and comments on the internet.

This isn't a thread to bash Titanfall. I've stated over and over, I'm having fun with the game. Respawn did a good job at making a solid fun game. Nothing wrong with a fun game. But the hype is at new levels. This thread is just simply asking if you feel terms like these are accurate after playing it. Some people, even in this thread, have said yes they do.

You asked for sources. I provided. You can look around and see these words. Sure, they're pure hyperbole but the question was for players who had heard the same thing. If you didn't hear it, then congratulations. I've heard it from people at work, friends, and comments on the internet.

This isn't a thread to bash Titanfall. I've stated over and over, I'm having fun with the game. Respawn did a good job at making a solid fun game. Nothing wrong with a fun game. But the hype is at new levels. This thread is just simply asking if you feel terms like these are accurate after playing it. Some people, even in this thread, have said yes they do.

Like I said I was genuinely curious who said it, mainly because I wouldn't look at that source as useful going forward. We've seen enough ridiculous shit from Forbes contributors that they already fall into that category for me. Even if Titanfall were revolutionary it's somewhat ridiculous to make that claim based on some limited playtime at trade shows.

Me personally, I don't agree with the new world's philosophy of giving everyone a gold star for trying. No, you suck and you keep your eye on the prize. That prize is getting skilled and mastering the game. Think of it as a game of chess. If you were really good at it and you wanted to be competitive, do you think it would be fair that the less advanced player has a computer helping him find moves?

That's not elitism. That's just being competitive. Might as well allow exploits in a game if it helps new players with that mentality.

I don't feel the bots should be removed IF they fixed the bots could easily be distinguished between other players with either a different color. Until then, they're there to grind for Titans and confuse others as to who is who in the game. I'm already seeing people hanging out with the bots to blend in. It's annoying to me.

Generally I agree with the "not everyone needs a trophy" point of view but this isn't education, this is just entertainment. The thing with a game like this is if you aren't good you spend far more time being dead and far less time building skills. This is really frustrating. The bots are balanced out because, in attrition, they're only worth a point vs four for a pilot. The less skilled player needs to do four times more work than the skilled player and most of the time they don't contribute a lot to the match yet they spent a lot time improving their skills and not being dead. Finding the pilots amongst the bots is also a challenge in and of itself, marking pilots differently than bots would affect the game play negatively.

Pilots have larger radar blips on the mini map.

It's fun, but it just feels like CoD with more stuff. I'm going to buy it at some point, but it's not the change I was hoping for.

DryvBy

Generally I agree with the "not everyone needs a trophy" point of view but this isn't education, this is just entertainment. The thing with a game like this is if you aren't good you spend far more time being dead and far less time building skills. This is really frustrating. The bots are balanced out because, in attrition, they're only worth a point vs four for a pilot. The less skilled player needs to do four times more work than the skilled player and most of the time they don't contribute a lot to the match yet they spent a lot time improving their skills and not being dead. Finding the pilots amongst the bots is also a challenge in and of itself, marking pilots differently than bots would affect the game play negatively.

I see what you're saying. I'm okay with the bots in there but not how they're currently displayed. I was playing just a few minutes ago and I think what they really should do is just remove their names above their heads so I know who's a player. Maybe I'm just an old man and can't tell who's on my lawn as clearly as I can in other games with bots though. ;)

J-Rzez

Think back honestly to COD4. Was anyone at the time of release really thinking that it was going to literally change the medium? I don't think so.

People absolutely thought the first MW would do that. It was completely new, had fresh "hooks" for players, and kill streaks. It didn't "look" bad for it's time as well. This game does not have that same "feel". It's good, but not going to set the world on fire. The "only" cool concept I see in there are the "burn cards". It's a neat play, that's about it, and I just hope they don't pull some F2P customer milking bullshit with it in time.

I think some people might think of the bots differently if they stopped thinking of them as actual competitive avatars on the map and started imagining them as sort of "time orbs" that you farm to make your titans fall faster. Like you know how in some racing games there are clock power ups that extend your time or reduce your time? Imagine the bots are like that.

The only issue is they need to make them even more distinguishable from the regular combatants. Maybe put some bright red colors on them or something

I said before these are like the creeps in MOBAs, and I treat them like such. That said, they're still some of the worst AI ever. I think the creeps in LoL have better AI.

Most people wish there were less of these creeps and more players, which would make sense they'd want that. Issue is though, the two maps we've seen so far are not conducive to MOAR MECHS. The choke points are so narrow it would just be a traffic jam.

I think they need to make Titan v Titan play more interesting. Maybe the different mechs with different capabilities will do this. In time we'll see.

Amir0x

Banned
I said before these are like the creeps in MOBAs, and I treat them like such. That said, they're still some of the worst AI ever. I think the creeps in LoL have better AI.

Most people wish there were less of these creeps and more players, which would make sense they'd want that. Issue is though, the two maps we've seen so far are not conducive to MOAR MECHS. The choke points are so narrow it would just be a traffic jam.

I think they need to make Titan v Titan play more interesting. Maybe the different mechs with different capabilities will do this. In time we'll see.

I too think the bots are a terribly boring gameplay mechanic and add absolutely nothing to the quality of my experience. If anything, they detracted.

My own preference would be to eliminate bots, up player count to 8v8, and make a pilot kill give ever so slightly more time off your titanfall timer.

As it stands now, the bots need to be more distinctive to stand out from the pilots, and it's the most boring form of gameplay I can think of for this genre. Literally like shooting cardboard cutouts at a carnival or some shit :p

I feel alone in enjoying the titan combat. I've had some really epics runs inside of them. Its a nice contrast to how vulnerable you are as infantry.

Electric screen is crucial. Takes care of rodeo, gives concealment, and deals damage. If I'm losing a battle, I'll dash right next to the enemies, deploy screen, dash back and escape. Doomed a lot of Titans that way.

dcelone53

Neo Member
Not to stir up fanboyisms or anything but I've always thought about what the perception would be if this was ps4 exclusive with the general thinking that everything is better on ps4 ( and most of it rightly so). Just a thought...

Amir0x

Banned
Not to stir up fanboyisms or anything but I've always thought about what the perception would be if this was ps4 exclusive with the general thinking that everything is better on ps4 ( and most of it rightly so). Just a thought...

"not to stir up fanboyism, but let me stir up fanboyism for a moment..."

I am not sure what you're trying to say. You think Titanfall would be received better or worse if it were on PS4? Prior to the late October permanent exclusivity agreement, most Sony fans and industry folk thought it was coming to PS4, and so did Respawn, and we saw what people thought of the franchise back then. It was still getting insane hype.

KaOTiK

Banned

Most of the negativity I've seen on various forums has been from PC gamers. Console gamers seem to be liking it a lot more than them.

Hell no. They overhyped the fuck out of this game. I've been playing it on the PC for a few hours and the gameplay is pretty thin..gets repetitive quickly.

]Not to stir up fanboyisms or anything[/B] but I've always thought about what the perception would be if this was ps4 exclusive with the general thinking that everything is better on ps4 ( and most of it rightly so). Just a thought...

You are saying this before launching into a console wars tangent, with apparently no actual argument or evidence behind your thesis.

Don't dig yourself any deeper.

Woo-Fu

Banned

As a PC gamer I'd prefer it be console-exclusive to the PS4 so the PC version wouldn't be held back as much as it obviously is.

This is probably not the answer you were looking for, lol.

As far as trying to portray the negativity as purely console bias I don't see the point. Those people would be playing it on a PC---since presumably they don't even have an Xbone---so they probably don't care about console exclusivity in this particular case. They're getting the best version anyway.

Maybesew

I think a lot of what is being written about Titanfall is accurate, but it's hard to but them all into a combined context.

The line about the game being for people bad at FPS makes sense becuase it's so easy to shoot titans. They are big slow targets and some of the anti-Titan weapons even lock on. Pretty much anyone should be able to jump on one and rodeo it.

The AI bots to me are really dumb. Multiple times I've run into a building and seen then wrestling with one another. I really need to grab a screenshot and video of it.

It's also very fun, I would say on the chaotic side of things so I could see why it would be very popular as well. There seems to be a good balance of how good players would be rewarded with faster titans and bad players will still get a Titan once or probably twice every match so they will feel included in the fun. Unlike a bad COD player that just goes 1-16 and doesn't contribute anything.

I don't think it's revolutionary or will really change a fps genre, but I think it's fun and will be successful. That's partly because of the game and partly becuase of what else is out right now and the feeling that people really want something different and this will scratch that itch.

As someone that used to play COD every year for 3-4 months, and only played Ghosts for 3-4 days, I'll probably get my fill of TF from the beta and not buy it.

Top Bottom