• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall Beta Players: Is "Revolutionary" and "Game Changer" accurate?

gatti-man

games media were going gaga over this game after or before e3.

that was when all the hype just blew over. no one has played it beside them, and they constantly mention it in their videos.

now that the beta is out, there is hype from consumers but it is nothing like what the games media did. no one is fainting or having tears in their eges over this game. no metaphors or.hyperbole in the way peeps describe this game.

I know 6 people in the beta and they are all day 1ing the title now. All of them love it and say it's great fun. Two of my buddies kids were over and they were glued to my TV for hours. I'd say the hype is spreading. I mean what do you expect it's a video game not the second coming.

This last page reads: I'm burned out of shooters and that's titanfalls fault but Destiny which we know nothing about now that's a great game!

It is a fun shooter, but it doesn't feel very next-gen.
It's pretty bleh looking tbh, and it is starting to get stale (only 1 titan to chose from.)

Enjay

Banned
Both terms are reflective in nature and as such neither can be applied right now.

If the game is successful, wins some GoTY awards, and 2 years from now FPS developers are designing their games to be more fast-twitch and fast-paced because it's what the people seem to want more of, we'll probably be able to look back at Titanfall's success as a big reason why and perhaps such terms may be applicable. Until then, wait and see.

Not even remotely.

I wanna say thanks for your reply but instead I think you should get into game journalism.

Talamius

Played it a little more and I think I've had enough. The parkour movement is a novel concept but the overall game doesn't work for me.

I think the biggest problem is the AI. It's there to do absolutely nothing but distract the player. It's simply in the way, nothing more, nothing less. It's essentially clutter for the sake of clutter. If it had a purpose I think the game would be a lot better. As is the game would be better if all AI except Auto-Titans were removed.

Played it a little more and I think I've had enough. The parkour movement is a novel concept but the overall game doesn't work for me.

I think the biggest problem is the AI. It's there to do absolutely nothing but distract the player. It's simply in the way, nothing more, nothing less. It's essentially clutter for the sake of clutter. If it had a purpose I think the game would be a lot better. As is the game would be better if all AI except Auto-Titans were removed.

YES. This is pretty much my only beef with the game and it's a pretty huge problem IMO.

DryvBy

Wait, the game has A.i players running around even after the full player count is met? Does killing an A.I net the same points as a normal human controlled player?

No, thankfully. You get overall score for them. And I wouldn't say they're running around.

Zakalwe

Banned
It is a fun shooter, but it doesn't feel very next-gen.
It's pretty bleh looking tbh, and it is starting to get stale (only 1 titan to chose from.)

It's not next gen, it's cross gen.

Regardless, it feels very next gen to me. Just because it has low textures doesn't mean it doesn't feel like progress.

I can't believe how many people are missing the point of the AI...

Ever play Dota or LoL? The AI ar Titanffall's creeps. They're there to increase Titanfall rate and boost your Titan.

They add a tremendous amount of flow as you chain kills while you hunt pilots and make your way between control points.

gatti-man

Why? The AI is so easily ignored and avoided even if you don't like it, it isn't a big deal. Pilots are easily distinguishable by movement, radar, and just common sense. The AI is there to get your Titan quicker. I melee them to avoid showing up on radar myself or just ignore them. They do not clutter but they are there. Once you play the game for a while you naturally sort them out easily.

YES. This is pretty much my only beef with the game and it's a pretty huge problem IMO.

I really hope Respawn doesn't listen to these comments because what you all are essentially saying is either buff the AI drones or take them out and add more players since they are easily ignored. If more players are added on these maps it just wouldn't flow right. We would need bigger maps which would lead to the same overall density of players.

I know 6 people in the beta and they are all day 1ing the title now. All of them love it and say it's great fun. Two of my buddies kids were over and they were glued to my TV for hours. I'd say the hype is spreading. I mean what do you expect it's a video game not the second coming.

This last page reads: I'm burned out of shooters and that's titanfalls fault but Destiny which we know nothing about now that's a great game!

well its your experience..i know alot of people too and almost no one its going to buy the game at launch

I think having an extended beta period for this game is a very bad idea. Yeah it's fun, yeah it's exciting to finally be playing it, but that in lies the point. People are going to burn themselves out real hard by Thursday. The magic won't be there when it finally drops and once you fuck around with the other maps, it'll be a 'meh' experience. Some people playing the beta for 10+ hours and such..

DryvBy

well its your experience..i know alot of people too and almost no one its going to buy the game at launch

I only know 3 people that were talking about it, only one is not getting it now.

I don't want Titanfall to fail at all. It's bringing back the sci-fi to shooters, which we need. If this is the start of that, then bravo. But I really hope we don't see a flood of clones either. I want a good mixture of war shooters, sci-fi shooters, twitch shooters, RPG shooters, and simulation shooters. This market sees $$$ and just runs with it. Keep mixing it up. Titanfall is a good mix of different things.

Cimarron

I like having the AI around. It makes its feel more like a campaign game. Not just death match hell. I tink they did an excellent job with this game. I usually don't like competitive deathmatches but I love Titan Fall! I just wish there was team colors but then again it adds to the confusion and chaos. Like a real combat situation. Good work Respawn!!

Gorillaz

I think having an extended beta period for this game is a very bad idea. Yeah it's fun, yeah it's exciting to finally be playing it, but that in lies the point. People are going to burn themselves out real hard by Thursday. The magic won't be there when it finally drops and once you fuck around with the other maps, it'll be a 'meh' experience. Some people playing the beta for 10+ hours and such..

I actually agree with this as well. would have been smart to make it a weekend long till monday and end it. Give a taste not a banquet.

I'm saying this from a business standpoint. From the fan side of things, it's perfect.

Shadownet

Banned

Did I say it was a great game? No. I said it's something I'm looking forward more to, now that I experienced Titanfall.

Okay, I've changed my mind:

Jump kicking people to death is awesome.
It's the only way I kill people now, just sprint around and jump kick people in the face.

Burnout from a beta? A limited beta on top of that? I would argue if someone played the beta enough to suffer some sort of burnout they are more likely to purchase TF.

Special C

I don't get the AI is pointless talk. I've won matches by farming AI early in the game in conjunction with a Titan Speeding burn card. Getting a titan out before anyone else is huge in the early game.

Novoitus

Banned
Fucking love this game. Been level 14 in the beta for a while now. This really just got me hyped for the release.

As for whether or not it's revolutionary - I personally haven't enjoyed a multiplayer game like this since COD4. And before that, SOCOM 2.

It's really fucking fun.

Having actually played it now: big fat meh from me. Really should have been a $30 download only game, really has no business being full price. I appreciate the increase in pace and the running mechanics, but the two levels in the beta do a poor job in exhibiting the parkour and there's some balancing howlers in there (Smart Pistol in particular). I can see this doing, at best, Battlefield numbers. It isn't the revolution in FPS you're looking for.

After spending some time with the beta, while its fun, it's not worth 60 bucks to me. It's not something I'd play for very long.

COD crowd is going to love it though.

So after a few hours of playing this, I have come to the conclusion it just isn't for me. I really was not enjoying the game at all, and I tried to be optimistic. I continued to play for a few hours thinking something just might click. However, the Titans do not really do it for me. I wished there was more to it. I am not really sure how to put my finger on it. I def love the movements options, that is a step in a right direction. It kind of made me want to fire up War Hawk or even Star Hawk.

FDBMath

As others have said, Titanfall is far more of an evolution of MP gaming than a revolution. Its not the first MP only game to come out. Its not the first to do any of the things it does. However, it does take a little here and a little there from basically all of the major FPS (and other gametypes) that came before it. It does feel like if the old IW was allowed to make the COD game it wanted after MW2, Titanfall may be what it would have churned out. Kind of a COD: Future War.

All that being said, it rocks. I love it and have a copy pre-ordered after playing the beta. I can see playing this for quite awhile.

p3tran

Banned
over 25 hours in the beta counted in the stats.

need I say more?

i guess I'll leave the elaborate writeups to the naysayers...

Top Bottom