• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TitanFall (EA/Respawn, PC/XB1/360, Spring 2014, Game Informer Leak, All Info In OP)

Orayn

Even KZ2 and KZ3? The gunplay is one of the best elements of KZ2/3.

HL2 has atrocious gunplay and there literally is no feedback from the gun. All the guns feel like pew pew shooters.

Most Source games don't have or need face-shattering recoil because they're still designed around more of a run and gun style of play. Granted, HL2 still has pretty poor sound design which makes many of its weapons sound wimpy, but they all perform exactly how they should in context.

Proven

Okay, maybe I have this wrong. I always though gunplay was about the variety of weapons and the balance between them, which is why I don't like modern shooters that mostly aim for realistic guns with more minor differences between them.

If gunplay is all about how the guns feel, then I'm out of this thread.

FACE

Banned
Okay, maybe I have this wrong. I always though gunplay was about the variety of weapons and the balance between them, which is why I don't like modern shooters that mostly aim for realistic guns with more minor differences between them.

If gunplay is all about how the guns feel, then I'm out of this thread.

Why not both?

StuBurns

Banned
Gunplay is about the kinetic sense of firing a virtual weapon. How well does it translate, how impacting is it, how does it look, sound, how is the sound affected by the environment, how does the AI character react to being hit, etc.

In that sense, HL2 has exceptionally bad gunplay.

velociraptor

Most Source games don't have or need face-shattering recoil because they're still designed around more of a run and gun style of play. Granted, HL2 still has pretty poor sound design which makes many of its weapons sound wimpy, but they all perform exactly how they should in context.
I don't think recoil has anything to do with it.

Halo games have non-existent recoil yet guns feel great to fire.

Rooster

Cloud seems to be code for dedicated servers in this instance. This is interesting since MW2 championed the downfall of dedicated servers.

Fabrik

Banned
Gunplay is about the kinetic sense of firing a virtual weapon. How well does it translate, how impacting is it, how does it look, sound, how is the sound affected by the environment, how does the AI character react to being hit, etc.

The shotgun and machine-gun feel good. But I agree the enemies don't react much to your bullets. GoldenEye/Perfect Dark are still unrivaled in that area sadly.

Sheroking

The hell are you people on about?

I still have never experienced anything as satisfying as shooting a combine soldier in the head and feeling them fall.

Deviation

Neo Member
Gunplay has always meant to me: How good does it feel to shoot this gun?

That's not just the audiovisual feedback for me, but also the basic shooting mechanics - how smoothly and accurately you can aim, whether or not there's any acceleration, the kind of recoil you get while shooting...

For me, the best shooting game I've played lately is Far Cry 3 - and this is despite some negative mouse acceleration, so it really had to do great on the other aspects. It just felt really good to shoot shit in that game. Sadly, Blood Dragon was not as fun in this respect.

StuBurns

Banned
The hell are you people on about?

I still have never experienced anything as satisfying as shooting a combine soldier in the head and feeling them fall.
They crumble in a near comical fashion, it's like their spine instantly dissipates. I love HL2, it's orders of magnitude better than any game this team has, or will, ever make, but no, I don't think it has good gunplay.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Because it is coming out for PC. 1 year later.

You sure do like pretending you have inside sources:

On next-gen:
Back to my point, next-gen is not coming out next year. Halo 5 will be out for 360.

Will fav this thread and dig it up next year.

On Destiny:
More update on Next Bungie game, 'Destiny.' Its release date has been pushed back to 2014. This discredits their supposed 'leaked' contract entirely.

Proven

Why not both?

I guess I don't like guns. I don't look forward to feeling good about firing a gun. Almost every shooter I've played added something fun beyond the guns. That's why I played the hell out of TF2 and why I was able to have a short stint in Halo 3, ODST, and Reach (and even there I mostly played the campaign and firefight where weapon variety is more necessary). Oh, and a bit of Bioshock 2 multiplayer, I suppose. In the third person category, only Resident Evil 5 and 6 were fun for me and that was mainly because of co-op and melee combos. Maybe I could have gotten into Gears but I suppose what turned me off about it's aesthetic is essentially it's gunplay.

This might also be why I have problems with games that feature a low average time-to-kill. Dying quickly facilitates gunplay to a degree. A game like TF2 has a number of defensive maneuvers that keep people alive longer.

Picking this up on PC for sure. There's no way this title sells the X1 to me, considering Respawn seems to want to hit more platforms with future Titanfall titles and the PC MP community should outlast X1's.

Ikaruga!

Neo Member
yo'uere weolcom.e.v1yr timee vcluisve.

Makes sense, though i thought MS would shell out enough Money so it won't arrive on PS4 at any given time.

Strange thing here is, that it still launches on PC, maybe even at the same time. I don't think that this is a blow against Sony, they'll hang in there just fine for a year with all their exclusives and the huge amount of multi titles available...

@EP8: One whole year, I think it was clear that it won't be completely exclusive, when it was announced for the PC as well. (unlike eg. Dead Rising 3, though that might see its release on other plattforms as well considering Capcoms track record.)

PaulloDEC

So I just watched this game get another "Game of Show" award (from the team at Good Game, an Australian games news/review program), and I'm baffled all over again.

I swear I'm not trying to start anything here, but can someone help me understand how this game keeps getting "Game of Show" awards? It looks good, no question, but I just can't fathom what makes it special enough to warrant the endless stream of awards.

Raide

So I just watched this game get another "Game of Show" award (from the team at Good Game, an Australian games news/review program), and I'm baffled all over again.

I swear I'm not trying to start anything here, but can someone help me understand how this game keeps getting "Game of Show" awards? It looks good, no question, but I just can't fathom what makes it special enough to warrant the endless stream of awards.

I dunno, maybe because it just looks like damn fun to play. Mobility looks great fun, Titans also looks like an awesome addition, plus mixing those two together should make for some very interesting combat situations.

Also having the SP structure around the MP side is also interesting. Less the feeling of just playing another CoD style deathmatch arena.

New IP also helps out. :D

GodofWine

IGN and Gamespot have scored it a perfect 10 already. (im kidding, but you know they will).

Im with the I need to see more of this game camp as well, it looks like a FPS with tanks and jet packs...looks fun, and good.

But it is also WAY before this games release so I should take my own advice and not judge a pile of dough before its a pizza

PaulloDEC

I dunno, maybe because it just looks like damn fun to play. Mobility looks great fun, Titans also looks like an awesome addition, plus mixing those two together should make for some very interesting combat situations.

Also having the SP structure around the MP side is also interesting. Less the feeling of just playing another CoD style deathmatch arena.

New IP also helps out. :D

IGN and Gamespot have scored it a perfect 10 already. (im kidding, but you know they will).

Im with the I need to see more of this game camp as well, it looks like a FPS with tanks and jet packs...looks fun, and good.

But it is also WAY before this games release so I should take my own advice and not judge a pile of dough before its a pizza

Thanks for the non-hostile replies!

I guess maybe it's one of those games you just have to play. The gameplay looks like fun for sure, but I can't help but feel it was one of the, if not THE least creatively interesting game on-show.

The fact that a grey-brown multiplayer first-person shooter is getting top marks at the first E3 of the next generation of gaming blows my mind, especially in light of the on-going backlash against those kinds of games going on in the current gen.

Thanks for the non-hostile replies!

I guess maybe it's one of those games you just have to play. The gameplay looks like fun for sure, but I can't help but feel it was one of the, if not THE least creatively interesting game on-show.

The fact that a grey-brown multiplayer first-person shooter is getting top marks at the first E3 of the next generation of gaming blows my mind, especially in light of the on-going backlash against those kinds of games going on in the current gen.

Outside of indies (which i'm definitely not arguing against winning this award) what game really wowed you (that was actually shown and not just a trailer) in originality? Quantum Break and The Order seem ambitious but you really can't say from what they showed that the game was actually apart of E3 2013.

Top Bottom