• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TitanFall (EA/Respawn, PC/XB1/360, Spring 2014, Game Informer Leak, All Info In OP)

Mileena

Banned
So you are telling me that counter strike, TF2 and HL2 dont't have good gunplay?

Counter-Strike is a HL1 engine game, and TF2 and HL2 have awful gunplay yes. TF2 has maybe one actual gun then the rest are rocket launchers and shotguns, HL2 just feels like every gun is shooting dildo bullets. Source engine :lol

Proven

Counter-Strike is a HL1 engine game, and TF2 and HL2 have awful gunplay yes. TF2 has maybe one actual gun then the rest are rocket launchers and shotguns, HL2 just feels like every gun is shooting dildo bullets. Source engine :lol

And this is why we can't be friends.

compared to some modern shooters, they don't. I think F.E.A.R still has the best gun play ever, every bullet has an impact on the environment or the AI in that game.

Naw, HL2 gunplay is still pretty great even today.

I do agree about F.E.A.R though, but HL2 certainly holds it own very well against any modern shooter in gunplay.

Demon Ice

Banned
"Unlimited servers" = virtual servers? No way those are fast enough to do AI and physics with no latency.

Thank science for a PC version.

amayo15

Banned
And kinda awful. I can't tell you one single game on Source that has good gunplay. It doesn't exist.

This is more than likely going to be a heavily modified version of Source - Call of Duty (all games) runs on the Quake 2 engine to this day; they just keep building layers on top of it. The underlying Quake 2 engine is really strong in delivering 60fps so they keep using it to maximize profits , keep quality up and development time down. It's really smart to use a proven engine - as long as you have a talented team that recognize the engine's weaknesses and improve on them. Another example - Halo 4 still runs on the original, but heavily modified, Halo 1 engine.

HagiG7

I'm talking about CS: source. In my opinion it has some of the best accuracy, recoil and spread feedback. It actually takes skill to master the weapons. That's what I call good gunplay.

GorillaJu

I don't know why people seem so sceptical a out games using cloud computing for AI.

Just imagine that the server is another player who is simultaneously controlling 1000 characters in a multiplayer game. That's how Titanfall could be using it like that

Yeah - server-side AI has been a thing for more than a decade. I'm not doubting that they can use this kind of technology. It's the idea that it can make up for weaker hardware that's a joke, pure and simple.

MDSLKTR

So much wrong in that post.

Mileena

Banned
I'm talking about CS: source. In my opinion it has some of the best accuracy, recoil and spread feedback. It actually takes skill to master the weapons. That's what I call good gunplay.

Well that's certainly an opinion I never see. I'm glad the game has at least one fan
This is more than likely going to be a heavily modified version of Source - Call of Duty (all games) runs on the Quake 2 engine to this day; they just keep building layers on top of it. The underlying Quake 2 engine is really strong in delivering 60fps so they keep using it to maximize profits , keep quality up and development time down. It's really smart to use a proven engine - as long as you have a talented team that recognize the engine's weaknesses and improve on them. Another example - Halo 4 still runs on the original, but heavily modified, Halo 1 engine.
That's what I'm hoping. I know IW/Respawn won't have some CSS or HL2 shit tier gunplay but I'm not a fan of the physics of the Source engine either. We'll see what they can do at E3 (I hope)

Well that's certainly an opinion I never see. I'm glad the game has at least one fan

That's what I'm hoping. I know IW/Respawn won't have some CSS or HL2 shit tier gunplay but I'm not a fan of the physics of the Source engine either. We'll see what they can do at E3 (I hope)

So how do you feel about CS:GO?

I am also surprised at it using Source, and the development tools do feel quite archaic now, maybe they are using a new version of Source not available to the public though.

Can't see what benefit they would have by using it otherwise.

Well, the new Counter-Strike is not. Besides that, the gunplay has little to do with the engine.

That, and the thing that gunplay is a very vague term.

Is it just me or will this be in Source 2, but it's just not named 'that' yet.

....then again Call of Duty was created with the Quake 3 engine as its backbone.

itt people don't know what an engine is or what it does

Glad for you to chirp in with that marvellous piece of information. I know what it does, but all of us are just surprised that they decided to use an 8 year old engine instead of the newer ones.

Speculating if it's using the Source 2 engine is fair for me, considering that Valve has been hinting that they are working on it a few months back. Would make sense if they're developing with it, like how Vampire: The Masquerade was the first game out using the Source Engine while Half-Life 2 was still in development.

aeolist

Banned
source isn't 8 years old any more than the CoD engine is 14. it got its last big update 2 years ago with portal 2 and has seen continuous patches since, and i'm sure valve gives licensees access to whatever updates and dev tools they're working on now.

in addition to this we have no idea how much of stock source is being used, since i'm sure respawn will have custom AI and probably physics. any comments based on the extremely vague GI article are basically wild speculation and people complaining about HL2 gunplay being in titanfall are hilariously off-base.

Kade

itt people don't know what an engine is or what it does

Pretty much. People don't realize that game engines are super modular and assume that previous implementations of things like "gunplay" or map streaming are the de facto implementations and they can't be improved.

Pretty much. People don't realize that game engines are super modular and assume that previous implementations of things like "gunplay" or map streaming are the de facto implementations and they can't be improved.

Thanks for putting it this way, this page was driving me nuts.

As far as i know an game engine license also mean you get the tool chain that the engine uses.

You can modify the game engine but if you're still using the toolchain then its technically still the same engine.

source isn't 8 years old any more than the CoD engine is 14. it got its last big update 2 years ago with portal 2 and has seen continuous patches since, and i'm sure valve gives licensees access to whatever updates and dev tools they're working on now.

in addition to this we have no idea how much of stock source is being used, since i'm sure respawn will have custom AI and probably physics. any comments based on the extremely vague GI article are basically wild speculation and people complaining about HL2 gunplay being in titanfall are hilariously off-base.

Ok granted that gunplay argument was amusing. Just wondering though, since it would be great to know what those in charge of developing the tech at Valve are up to.

aeolist

Banned
Ok granted that gunplay argument was amusing. Just wondering though, since it would be great to know what those in charge of developing the tech at Valve are up to.

i doubt very much that respawn will say anything outright if they are using any parts of the engine that might be referred to as "source 2" (which is kind of a non-starter anyway since valve is probably just going to keep calling it source and it'll never be entirely thrown out and restarted from scratch)

Kade

As far as i know an game engine license also mean you get the tool chain that the engine uses.

You can modify the game engine but if you're still using the toolchain then its technically still the same engine.

I know a lot of developers write proprietary software or mods that works with engine toolsets if they need to do something that's outside of the scope of the stock tools. I imagine Respawn is no different.

IcyEyes

That's how every MMO works, including ones that have already been featured on consoles. You don't need CLOUD COMPUTING TM to pull it off. That's also why the PC and 360 versions will only differ graphically.

He is right and I just make a quote to remark his words :)

velociraptor

I don't think so, Half Life 2 is my favorite FPS game ever, but even Killzone 2 & 3 have better gun play.
Even KZ2 and KZ3? The gunplay is one of the best elements of KZ2/3.

HL2 has atrocious gunplay and there literally is no feedback from the gun. All the guns feel like pew pew shooters.

JawzPause

I don't think so, Half Life 2 is my favorite FPS game ever, but even Killzone 2 & 3 have better gun play.

Killzone 2 has great gun play, Killzone 3 is more generic.
I hate that they toned down the input lag in K3, K2 had one of the most amazing multiplayer components of any FPS game that I've ever played & it was largely to do with that it played like no other FPS.

kensama

So I subscribe to Game Informer through Google Play and my tablet just downloaded the July issue which has this on the cover. Did someone fuck up?

According to article it is Xbox One and PC. With a 360 version being developed by someone else. Game uses cloud a bunch apparently.

EDIT: Our resident leaker appears to be claiming it is a 1 year timed exclusive...

I'm also a subscriber, but i have nothing in Game Informer App on my tablet.
Any idea?

Top Bottom