• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TitanFall (EA/Respawn, PC/XB1/360, Spring 2014, Game Informer Leak, All Info In OP)

Gumbie

Do you have proof or a source? Or have you just bought into PR buzzwords?

I'm just going off what Game Informer has said, where the servers will be performing physics calculations. Which lines up with what occurs on any other dedicated server.

google "Windows Azure"

Edit: sorry misunderstood your question. I was speaking purely about what they "could" do with the cloud stuff. I have no idea about what this game will be doing.

WasabiJoe

Neo Member
Not sure if serious.

As someone who worked retail I can confirm this. A fellow co-worker had to ask me to pay for him at Subway when his card got declined, then the very next week after payday he's buying Call of Duty. I was less than pleased with the turn of events.

yea it was source and it looks ok.

IMO the best looking source game is Team Fortress 2 on PC and that's because of the art style. I think Left 4 Dead 2 also looks good but I haven't played it yet

Main benefit of Source:
1080p
60 FPS locked
8X MSAA (I maxed out TF2 with my old 5850 1 gig card)
Lots of stuff happeneing on screen without slowdown

The only con of source is bad textures

and the relatively poly starved everything... plus the world building is really primitive for detailed environments.

The game engine also does not have unified lighting and shadowing leading to some strange gears of war 1 like lighting at times.

jordisok

it is? I have a 1055t which is considered to be a bad CPU for gaming and I ran TF2 at 60 FPS maxed with zero slowdown

Yeah bad phrasing, I don't mean CPU HEAVY, meant it relies more on CPU than ya card.

My 5770 gets 60-120 on anything source wise though, shouldn't be an issue I guess.

and the relatively poly starved everything... plus the world building is really primitive for detailed environments.

The game engine also does not have unified lighting and shadowing leading to some strange gears of war 1 like lighting at times.

yea it is a pretty ancient engine, but with a good art style a game can look stunning on source.

jediyoshi

Having gone on a model porting spree for source filmmaker a while back and from what I've seen all these years in source games, real curious how it'll play out along next gen games.

edit: I threw Halo 4's assets into sfm and here's how they turned out. Super simple port so it's just diffuse+normal mapping. Obviously it's downsampled to hell and it introduced a bunch of post effects, but I can imagine they can get real time ao in there if they wanted

XJWmsWf.jpg

IcyEyes

As I expected and posted on Neogaf it seems AI is run off the cloud is brilliant. Perfect use just like multiplayer with regards to lag effects.

I wonder how Sony will try to compete with games that van run 100+ AI objects using high end AI code?

You will see when the PS4 version will be out :)

RoKKeR

JUST caught up on all of this. Wow. Game seems interesting enough, hate that it's Xbox/MS exclusive, but the PC version is a saving grace.

Looking forward to seeing what they have in store for us.

it is? I have a 1055t which is considered to be a bad CPU for gaming and I ran TF2 at 60 FPS maxed with zero slowdown

Multiplayer gaming is....generally...CPU heavy compared to single player which...generally ...is more GPU heavy in comparison. By offloading anything they can to cloud servers...like AI or other CPU intensive tasks..you can improve gameplay greatly.Smart move. Hope it works that way on PC too.

Having gone on a model porting spree for source filmmaker a while back and from what I've seen all these years in source games, real curious how it'll play out along next gen games.

edit: I threw Halo 4's assets into sfm and here's how they turned out. Super simple port so it's just diffuse+normal mapping. Obviously it's downsampled to hell and it introduced a bunch of post effects, but I can imagine they can get real time ao in there if they wanted

source filmaker is pretty impressive for what it puts out. I'm expecting the next valve engine to be producing visuals somewhere in the range of the CS go film.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
The Source engine?

Not, like, the Source 2 engine?

Really interested to see what it looks like and how big the maps are.

I think using Source is fine. I think this game won't have problems in performance, and graphics will look 'good enough'. I'm just disappointed its an FPS, but I'll wait for some gameplay.

bhlaab

As I expected and posted on Neogaf it seems AI is run off the cloud is brilliant. Perfect use just like multiplayer with regards to lag effects.

I wonder how Sony will try to compete with games that van run 100+ AI objects using high end AI code?

Okay so the game will require an online connection for the AI to work?

No longer interested. Passing on this, sadly. Hope it turns out great for their own sake, though. So it's worth developing on Xbox consoles only.

RoKKeR

That's assuming no latency from the cloud...

DTKT

Is this literally using the Source engine?

This is insane. Valve has barely marketed the engine. This feels totally out of the blue.

TheJerit

I think they'll do just fine since they have their own cloud infastructure (that's actually been game-focused from the get-go). They were even the first to announce "the cloud" aspect in regards to their gaming platform.

Heh, this reminds me when I went back and rewatched Sony's reveal. One could intepret MS doing a "me too!" on a lot of the functions that were announced ;p

Jira

yea it was source and it looks ok.

IMO the best looking source game is Team Fortress 2 on PC and that's because of the art style. I think Left 4 Dead 2 also looks good but I haven't played it yet

Main benefit of Source:
1080p
60 FPS locked
8X MSAA (I maxed out TF2 with my old 5850 1 gig card)
Lots of stuff happeneing on screen without slowdown

The only con of source is bad textures

An engine does not define how good textures can look, it comes down to the developer themselves and what they want to create. Just look at Skyrim, max default textures on PC don't look bad, but the modding community has shit all over anything Bethesda has done with better IQ and art design by a mile. Also, Respawn said they've rewritten a good portion of the engine so what you think of the Source engine today will not reflect what you get with Titanfall (for better or worse).

An engine does not define how good textures can look, it comes down to the developer themselves and what they want to create. Just look at Skyrim, max default textures on PC don't look bad, but the modding community has shit all over anything Bethesda has done with better IQ and art design by a mile. Also, Respawn said they've rewritten a good portion of the engine so what you think of the Source engine today will not reflect what you get with Titanfall (for better or worse).

Actually based upon how those textures are stored and streamed it could heavily effect the quality of the texture art and their resolution. To illustrate what I mean take a look at how different engines stream and how good their texture work is. IdTech 5, Ue 3.0 and Battlefield all have had their texture quality positively and negatively affected by this.

That is an engine feature.

Cool concepts, excited this is the team that made Call of Duty...Bummed the exclusivity is so long, but as long as I get to play it eventually that's ok with me...I hope it recaptures the magic.

I'm sure unless it's source 2, it will be only Source in terms of tools. Renderers and etc will receive a huge overall, this is a big production.

Jira

Actually based upon how those textures are stored and streamed it could heavily effect the quality of the texture art and their resolution. To illustrate what I mean take a look at how different engines stream and how good their texture work is. IdTech 5, Ue 3.0 and Battlefield all have had their texture quality positively and negatively affected by this.

That is an engine feature.

That is true, though as it stands Source has no problems with texture loading as everything is loaded on map load and pre-baked for most lighting.

Also, on the idea of Source 2, Valve has said in the past that they will not make a new engine as Source is extremely modular (evident by how far the engine has come since Hl2) and will just continue to upgrade it as needed. However, for the sake of argument let's say there is a Source 2, I can guarantee you that HL3 is using it and Valve wouldn't allow any other developer to show their game using it before they showed HL3.

Kinda like those awful Nintendo fanboys and their twitter terrorism, ami rite bro?
(I agree with you by the way - I just find your statements often extremely ironic)

That post was clearly on the same level as trmas' post as well. You got me good. Thanks for the enlightenment, StevieP.

Proelite

Why would it have to be Hadoop?
(Also, your reduction of the myriad of problems of distributed parallelisation to "map-reduce" earlier in the thread was gold. I guess that works if you have a problem that doesn't require any data exchange!)

I am just dumbing stuff down for the masses nor am I an expert.

Exuro

That is true, though as it stands Source has no problems with texture loading as everything is loaded on map load and pre-baked for most lighting.

Also, on the idea of Source 2, Valve has said in the past that they will not make a new engine as Source is extremely modular (evident by how far the engine has come since Hl2) and will just continue to upgrade it as needed. However, for the sake of argument let's say there is a Source 2, I can guarantee you that HL3 is using it and Valve wouldn't allow any other developer to show their game using it before they showed HL3.
Source 2 isn't just an idea. There's been several pieces of info confirming its existence.

jediyoshi

Source 2 isn't just an idea. There's been several pieces of info confirming its existence.

'Confirming' is a bit strong. Otherwise, given Steam's database, a lot of pie in the sky games on the service would also be confirmed as well.

I'm sure unless it's source 2, it will be only Source in terms of tools. Renderers and etc will receive a huge overall, this is a big production.

Don't think Valve rolls like that. Natural Selection 2 wanted to go down that route of Source tools on their own engine and it didn't fly with them.

This is fine with me. Will buy on PC. Fallout 4 will likely release on PC as well then, in case the timed exclusive rumours are true. So both are no reasons for me to buy the One.

MS' first party is now all that counts for me.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's 60fps dudes. 60fps! That's already two 60fps games confirmed for X1. I thought everyone said no 60fps next-gen!?

I don't think people were thinking of sequels to games that were 60 fps this gen (or made by teams with long 60 fps heritages) with that statement. :p

derFeef

I don't think people were thinking of sequels to games that were 60 fps this gen (or made by teams with long 60 fps heritages) with that statement. :p

You missed some Forza 5 posts :)
But yeah, those game will always be 60fps. More shooters being 60fps is good news, Rage felt good on the consoles from what I have played.

Vex

Banned
Not trusting anything this CBoaT guy says, nothing he has posted so far has matched up to what MS has confirmed, this leak will be no different. I predict the first game will only come out on X1 and PC and the second possibly goes multiplat.

stktt

Banned
Not trusting anything this CBoaT guy says, nothing he has posted so far has matched up to what MS has confirmed, this leak will be no different. I predict the first game will only come out on X1 and PC and the second possibly goes multiplat.

Buttocks doesn't lie.

bhlaab

This game won't run without a constant internet connection, right? Because it uses the cloud for AI and physics calculation?

Top Bottom