• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lima

Look out Below is one of the worst requirements so far.. only masked by the 100 win requirement in Gen 8.

You can do it on bots. Took me like 5 or 6 games. Don't get what's so hard about it. Equip warpfall transmitter and hunt for some freshly dropped pots.

After playing the game for about 12 hours I'm amazed at how mediocre this game is. Everything is fine with the game itself, the controls feel smooth and the animations are great also the robot fights are kinda awesome as well. But while playing I just couldn't get rid of this mediocrity feeling throughout the 12 hours.
Don't understand how you found the game to be mediocre after stating positive things about the controls, visuals and the titans... Did you have fun playing it? I'm playing with 7.1 headset and every time a Titan falls from the sky I'm like fuk me this is awesome!!!

After playing the game for about 12 hours I'm amazed at how mediocre this game is. Everything is fine with the game itself, the controls feel smooth and the animations are great also the robot fights are kinda awesome as well. But while playing I just couldn't get rid of this mediocrity feeling throughout the 12 hours.

What feels mediocre about the game; I am intrigued why you think this (I am not being confrontational).

I think all the elements are done very well. What is your play style? A lot of people who haven't got on with the game have often played it too 'COD like' and haven't utilised the fast-paced movement and environments.

They can fuck off if that's the case. I'm not buying a One to get Titanfall that actually gets updated.

People on the 360 paid the same price and there are no timing agreements or anything for updates and DLC that I'm aware of. Hope we don't get the shit end of the stick because we didn't want to get an Xbone.

My future purchases of sequels in this series likely will depend on how we get treated on the 360 version.

Edit: I'm sure I'll take shit for this post, but hey.

For real. I hope the updates are timely, as of right now I'm still playing, trying to get to 50 and completing the non gooser challenges but I don't want to do anything else. Last thing I need is to get to 50 and get impatient for an update so I waste hours trying to get gooser kills only for them to finally throw out the update that reduces it to 5 after I've gotten 42 or something.

They aren't very hard to get, I already have 3 after a few matches but because they suck so far at giving us heads up on the updates I have no clue if the updates even close to coming or not so I'm stuck playing the waiting game.

892.gif

cakely

Got my first Gooser, long before I'll need it (still in gen 1).

It was in Last Titan Standing. I doomed a titan and watched him eject, and cloak. Tracked his barely visible silhouette with my chaingun, and actually killed him.

Very satisfying, but kind of pointless. At least it shows up in my "Ejected Pilots Killed" stats.

ShowDog

Better than new content or other improvements? We defanged Gooser but there hasn't been the same level of outcry about the other regen requirements. There are some players that enjoy them, so I think the real issue is the lack of alternatives for players that don't enjoy them.

I guess those of us that don't like playing on or against teams full of idiots trying to complete challenges are boned then?

A free-for-all mode wouldn't be a substitute for broken team modes, but it would ease the pain a bit. But we don't have that either. Nor do we have a single player.

All we have are team-modes and you introduced challenges that actively discourage teammates from working towards objectives. MINDBLOWN

w1nter

Banned
Don't understand how you found the game to be mediocre after stating positive things about the controls, visuals and the titans... Did you have fun playing it? I'm playing with 7.1 headset and every time a Titan falls from the sky I'm like fuk me this is awesome!!!

Can't say that I did, but at the same time I wasn't thinking that the game is boring. After spending the 10 hours there isn't a need to come back to the game. Usually I feel better just launching Planet Side 2 and playing that which feels like a game that accomplishes the same (personally for me) just on a much grander scale. But both games were made with different goals in mind so I can understand others not going along with the comparison. All in all, Titanfall seems to lack lack soul. It just feels like a soulless game while playing it. (if that makes sense) There's nothing memorable about it.

What feels mediocre about the game; I am intrigued why you think this (I am not being confrontational).

I think all the elements are done very well. What is your play style? A lot of people who haven't got on with the game have often played it too 'COD like' and haven't utilised the fast-paced movement and environments.

I wasn't a big fan of games with small teams (Have only played Attrition and Hardpoint) so it felt kinda empty for me at times. Don't know why the NPC additions to the game as well. Had a problem identifying them from actual players after starting to play, but that's my problem. I general, the game feels and looks fine. It's just that after playing it I feel nothing. I don't feel satisfaction and at the same time I don't feel dissatisfaction, but at the same time there's absolutely no need to come back and play it again, unlike Planetside 2 which after playing leaves a feeling of something very grand and I want to come back and play it next day (I chose Planetside 2 as a comparison because I feel that Planetside does everything better than Titanfall.

Wow, please, no more, you're way too edgy for me. I can't handle it. You're killing me here.

Jito

Banned
How is Planetside 2 in anyway comparable to Titanfall?

On the one hand, epic large scale war with tons of vehicles, high player count, classes, huge map, strong reliance on tactics (some assumptions have been made, I've only played a few hours at release).

On the other hand, smaller scale battles (compare to PS2), low player count, really fast gunplay and movement, Titans that change the game to a slower paced FPS when in side, easy to low wolf..

I'm not seeing where the comparison begins.

El_Chino

So is matchmaking ever going to be fix in this game? I'm tired of being against Gen.5+ team when no one is even Gen.2 on my squad. -_-

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
So is matchmaking ever going to be fix in this game? I'm tired of being against Gen.5+ team when no one is even Gen.2 on my squad. -_-

A lot of this could be fixed by simply adding in a mercenaries mode with no teams, I think. A lot of these lopsided matches I get into are against parties.

El_Chino

A lot of this could be fixed by simply adding in a mercenaries mode with no teams, I think. A lot of these lopsided matches I get into are against parties.
Its ridiculous at this point. I love this game to death but never have I played a MP game that most teams are so lopsided.

charlie_six

Neo Member
I enjoy the game but it does feel kind of like an arcade game. There seems to be less need/room for planning/strategy/teamwork than other games. The maps are quite small and arena-like, there's almost constant action.

cakely

I just joined a game and instantly got killed by a turret. I want one death removed from my record immediately.

Silly question, but is there actually a way to display how many times you've died?

Titanfall displays a K/D ratio, and a Pilot K/D ratio, so it must hold those numbers somewhere, but I can't find where they're displayed.

Alchemy

I'm not the original poster, but for me it is:

Technical: The game is not attractive visually. It isn't locked at 60 FPS (on the Xbone) and it tears like crazy. I could forgive Respawn a little if the framerate was locked and there was no tearing, but as it standings it is an ugly game with performance problems. Compared to anything on the PS4, this game is visually laughable. Hell, even compared to Garden Warfare this game is fugly.

Time to death: Pilots simply die way too fast in this (and it is why I despise CoD). The speed of the movement is great, but being killed almost instantly and not being able to really react to anything is boring. Both defensively, but also offensively. I don't feel accomplished when I shoot at a player for half a second and they die without even being able to tell they were under attack.

It also prevents things like getting stomped on by a Titan from feeling impactful. If someone dies instantly from anything, there is vary little variation in how powerful stuff feels. Getting nuked by an exploding Titan feels the same as being shot three times by a Smart Pistol, and happens in about the same amount of time.

Leveling: I hate leveling in shooters and not having access to weapons and abilities. It just feels like a grind to get to the weapon I want, especially in a game like this where you're not unlocking new variants on a type but the entire category of weapon because there is only one of each type.

The only thing I really enjoy about this is the pilot movement and Titan combat, but mostly because Titan engagements actually feel meaningful because they don't instantly respawn and take time to kill. If this game had Titan only CTF and Hard Point modes on maps designed for 12 Titans, I'd love this game.

DeSo

Banned
The only mediocre thing about this game is the PC optimization. I really want a performance patch, it's my only complaint.

Nintyb

Banned
I enjoy the game but it does feel kind of like an arcade game. There seems to be less need/room for planning/strategy/teamwork than other games. The maps are quite small and arena-like, there's almost constant action.

Thats exactly why I love it. There is no teamwork, communication of any sort really, and it's the perfect stress killer game after work.

I fucking love this game. That is all.

:p

No, but seriously, I love the feel of the pilots and the titans, love the Sci-Fi setting, think the graphics are completely serviceable, if not mind-blowing, and think it's a breath of fresh air compared to CoD, which is my usual go to FPS.

hoyalawya

The Spitfire LMG is trucking awful. I thought the gooser challenge was bad. This takes it to another level. Maybe the HCOG will help but I doubt it.

I fucking love this game. That is all.

:p

No, but seriously, I love the feel of the pilots and the titans, love the Sci-Fi setting, think the graphics are completely serviceable, if not mind-blowing, and think it's a breath of fresh air compared to CoD, which is my usual go to FPS.
I agree and I think the game will improve overtime with dlc and patches, great game

Argonomic

They can fuck off if that's the case. I'm not buying a One to get Titanfall that actually gets updated.

People on the 360 paid the same price and there are no timing agreements or anything for updates and DLC that I'm aware of. Hope we don't get the shit end of the stick because we didn't want to get an Xbone.

My future purchases of sequels in this series likely will depend on how we get treated on the 360 version.

Edit: I'm sure I'll take shit for this post, but hey.

There is no timing agreement, but the 360 version is (expertly) ported from the x1/pc codebase. Unless we delay the x1/pc patches, the 360 patches also have to be ported. Porting takes some time.

Argonomic

I guess those of us that don't like playing on or against teams full of idiots trying to complete challenges are boned then?

A free-for-all mode wouldn't be a substitute for broken team modes, but it would ease the pain a bit. But we don't have that either. Nor do we have a single player.

All we have are team-modes and you introduced challenges that actively discourage teammates from working towards objectives. MINDBLOWN

We have considered making the "kill x enemies" challenges be Attrition only, since you would then be contributing to victory. I'm curious if people think of that.

It wouldn't help with some of the regen challenges though.

tauke

The Spitfire LMG is trucking awful. I thought the gooser challenge was bad. This takes it to another level. Maybe the HCOG will help but I doubt it.

Initially I hate Spitfire LMG but once you get the hang of firing from the hip at close range non stop, it is crazy effective except against a shotgun user. The problem here is the recoil decreases as it firing non stop which took some time for me to adjust to it.

Once you unlock Slammer, you want to start using Cloak to sneak up on enemy titan and rodeo them for non stop IT"S SUPER EFFECTIVE damage if they cannot get rid of you.

Also equip HCOG. I feel it is the only scope for it as the ADS will not cause you massive tunnel vision like Holosight and AOG.

SJS

Look out below is easy. Use warpfall.

Yeah... no. It's not that simple.

The titanfall coordinates aren't precision based and the bots have a tendency to run just enough to escape the preset coordinates, even in a 2.5s timeframe.

I mean, I'm getting the challenge done, but I have to devote a considerable amount of attention towards completing it.

We have considered making the "kill x enemies" challenges be Attrition only, since you would then be contributing to victory. I'm curious if people think of that.

Just remove the requirements to regen and keep the challenges! You can just reward people who do the challenges with the decals you plan on releasing. It's really noticeable when you play in a smaller data center that people just ignore everything going around them and just play to clear their own regen challenges.

tauke

It will be nice if there is an indicator for everyone (or maybe on the same team) that shows what other players have done towards their regen challenges like in CS GO.

Well reason is matchmaking have been kind enough to throw me to a team which most of the players just outright not contributing to the match from the beginning to the end. I believe this players are busy doing the challenges lol.

As mentioned, if I can see someone just achieve Tier 3 of killing anything that move with Autopistol in Hardpoint Domination, I know they couldn't bother attacking or defending a point.

Just remove the requirements to regen and keep the challenges! You can just reward people who do the challenges with the decals you plan on releasing. It's really noticeable when you play in a smaller data center that people just ignore everything going around them and just play to clear their own regen challenges.

Happens a lot in SEA and East Asia server lol. I didn't play yesterday since I was on a losing streak regardless of Attrition or Hardpoint since others must be busy doing their challenges with their charged rifle crits!

Delt31

for those on pc, are the opening screens such as respawn logo and the one before - does the black background seem like it has a high brightness like it's not totally black? Only game I see this with as the background black seems to have a brightness to it.

Yeah... no. It's not that simple.

The titanfall coordinates aren't precision based and the bots have a tendency to run just enough to escape the preset coordinates, even in a 2.5s timeframe.

I mean, I'm getting the challenge done, but I have to devote a considerable amount of attention towards completing it.
Rodeo + Warp is the key. I've had so many times I jump on a Titan, a pilot hops out, and I drop my Titan on his Titan. This split second of him/her getting out to try and kill me is enough time for me to plop a Titan on his face while his Titan sits still.

I'm out of ideas for the Regen challenges. I'm honestly in the "do away with them" boat. Again, I love the idea behind them, but don't think it has worked out. I personally wouldn't have imagined players would be so selfish. I still love the game, so I don't want to come across as a dick for being so harsh against the Regen challenges. Respawn has made the first FPS in a long time I've sank so much time into.

Marjar

Banned
So I bought this game today for PC, but I can't play it at all. It keeps freezing at the lobby menu after clicking play on the main menu.

I updated my drivers too to see if that was the reason but it just keeps freezing.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!

Get creative and don't require us to use every pilot and titan weapon available. Some of them really suck.

There is no timing agreement, but the 360 version is (expertly) ported from the x1/pc codebase. Unless we delay the x1/pc patches, the 360 patches also have to be ported. Porting takes some time.

That's fine. And it wasn't an attack on Respawn. I love what you guys have done with this game and it's up with MW1/2 as my favorite shooters ever.

The issue is that BluePoint is horrid with communication. First they say that private matches were a server-side update that wouldn't require any download to get working, which seemed odd. People don't get it and tweet them about it. They then double down and tweet later that it should have been live two days later. Then lo and behold, an update that we have to download comes around and bam. Private matches work.

Here's the kicker though. It didn't have some other pieces to the update that the Xbox One update had. Gooser is still at 50, etc. People tweet asking what's going on and they just don't communicate (at last I checked yesterday).

It's just a complete lack of communication and weird things like that they're getting irritating. Isn't your guys' fault by any stretch of the imagination and I loved BluePoint's work before this, but it almost seems like they're overwhelmed with this.

Frustrating, because while I couldn't care any less about private matches, I will be at Gen 5 very soon and that's just going to kill so much of my time trying to kill ejecting pilots.

So I bought this game today for PC, but I can't play it at all. It keeps freezing at the lobby menu after clicking play on the main menu.

I updated my drivers too to see if that was the reason but it just keeps freezing.
No error message? Crash to desktop or just straight freeze? It is crummy, but I'd honestly re-install.

Marjar

Banned
No error message? Crash to desktop or just straight freeze? It is crummy, but I'd honestly re-install.

It just freezes. Only doing ctrl+alt+del and opening the task manager will bring up an error message.

Okay now it is just straight up crashing with an error message instead of freezing. Ugh I guess I'll just reinstall it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Not sure If this was posted yet but

Holy shit at that server crashing glitch, hopefully no one tries to do this after watching this, how can Respawn miss this?

Haha, that's crazy.

Really though, that is damn near impossible to replicate in a match. Even if you have a super coordinated team attempting it all they would do is not have their win count.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom