• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall PC: Pilot Hunter/CTF gone as separate modes: "not widely used, long waits"

The Cowboy

Poorly conceived, executed and communicated. The whole game.

I bought the game, and losing these playlists is actually fairly meaningless in the bigger context of what has gone wrong for this game on the PC.
I can agree with this, this game has been poorly managed since release.

This is my journey with Titanfall.

Pre Beta: Hmm, this looks interesting, i might get this on sale after release if it turns out well.
Beta time: God dam this is great and has huge potential, I'll break my pre-ordering rule to get this day 1 (and I'll grab the season pass to), its not perfect and need a few tweaks here and there, but i recon I'll love it anyway and I'm sure they'll will improve things.
Release time: Well, the non beta maps aren't quite as optimized as I'd like and it is kinda lacking in modes and weapon balance is a bit iffy, but I'm sure they'll improve this - loving CTF and HP.
1st update: Hmm, no improvements in performance yet and poor changes to HP and CTF regarding defence points changes and nothing really done about weapon balance, hopefully they'll see this was a bad move and fix it - HP and CTF seem still decent, but not as good as before.
Next update: Wait what? they're improving attacking points in HP and CTF instead of improving defence points?, and still no performance improvements or decent weapon balance changes? - right this is a bit of a joke, HP and CTF have no reason to defend now and are kinda crappy to play now due to no one defending (I'll stop playing for now and hope this gets changed in the next update).
Next update: Neat, they may not have fixed the HP/CTF defence points but at least they've fixed CTF with regards to titans carrying flags, the 1st DLC pack is really kinda sparse consider its cost (and due to the lack of content the game has), and still no performance improvements or decent weapon balance changes? - still no happy about HP, but at least CTF is better now (I'll come back for the CTF).
1 day later: WTF!?, they've removed CTF and PH from the standard playlists?, you've got to be kidding me! - what the heck are they doing with this game?.
1 day later: Yeah, I'd like a refund please.

The Cowboy

So did they offer refunds for people who are pissed over this or no?
Working as intended mate (this is what support tod me), you can try and convince EA support to give you one despite this (I'm currently escalated trying to get mine) - but there is no chance one will be offered.

Nome

I'd argue Ghosts hasn't done well because of series fatigue and other factors, and that Titanfall would've had the advantage of being a new IP in its favor, but ultimately you're right. I don't blame it being on Origin for this.

It didn't do anything for Black Ops 2 either. Their zombie mode was completely vacant.

Skyzard

Banned
Fair enough, I thought they were referring to the 24hour refund thing after buying it from the sale.

Just played CTF Wargame - so awesome. I can see why people would want easier access to that, even if it meant waiting in a lobby.

On Xbox One, it seems last titan standing seems to be the least played mode. I don't think I've started a game with a full 12 players all week and often finish games with only 4 or 5 players on each team.

...uhm. It's plenty full on 360. Most people go there for titan regen challenges.

akaoni

Banned
Titanfall came out for pc?

image.php

Nydius

Maybe if they had put CTF and Pilot Hunter into the laughable "campaign" mode, more people would have played them. Once the population started dropping, people naturally stuck to what they know - Attrition and Hardpoint Dom. Of course, Respawn is doing a great job of driving people away from Hardpoint Dom, too, with their stupid point changes from patch to patch.

Taking away unpopular playlists and replacing them with different ones is one thing. Taking them away and stripping away even more features from a game already suffering from a lack of features? Fucking ridiculous.

I can agree with this, this game has been poorly managed since release.

This is my journey with Titanfall.

Pre Beta: Hmm, this looks interesting, i might get this on sale after release if it turns out well.
Beta time: God dam this is great and has huge potential, I'll break my pre-ordering rule to get this day 1 (and I'll grab the season pass to), its not perfect and need a few tweaks here and there, but i recon I'll love it anyway and I'm sure they'll will improve things.
Release time: Well, the non beta maps aren't quite as optimized as I'd like and it is kinda lacking in modes and weapon balance is a bit iffy, but I'm sure they'll improve this - loving CTF and HP.
1st update: Hmm, no improvements in performance yet and poor changes to HP and CTF regarding defence points changes and nothing really done about weapon balance, hopefully they'll see this was a bad move and fix it - HP and CTF seem still decent, but not as good as before.
Next update: Wait what? they're improving attacking points in HP and CTF instead of improving defence points?, and still no performance improvements or decent weapon balance changes? - right this is a bit of a joke, HP and CTF have no reason to defend now and are kinda crappy to play now due to no one defending (I'll stop playing for now and hope this gets changed in the next update).
Next update: Neat, they may not have fixed the HP/CTF defence points but at least they've fixed CTF with regards to titans carrying flags, the 1st DLC pack is really kinda sparse consider its cost (and due to the lack of content the game has), and still no performance improvements or decent weapon balance changes? - still no happy about HP, but at least CTF is better now (I'll come back for the CTF).
1 day later: WTF!?, they've removed CTF and PH from the standard playlists?, you've got to be kidding me! - what the heck are they doing with this game?.
1 day later: Yeah, I'd like a refund please.

Yep, this about summarizes how I'm feeling about the game right now too. As fun as the Titans are, it can't fix the fact that they've mismanaged this game on PC since it launched. It's pretty sad: I just picked up a retail copy of Ghosts on sale at a local Walmart and, compared to Titanfall, I'm practically overwhelmed with all the various options I have in that game. I can even have fun playing against hardened bots if I so choose.

SpyGuy239

Man I really regret buying this after much debate just 2 weeks back ):

Why can't they just do a traditional server browser system that players can use and pick as they see fit?!?!?!? It's 2014 for god sakes. Even BF 1942 had this

Hardpoint, CTF, and Last Titan Standing are my favorite modes. Not sure why Attrition is the most popular mode considering it has no goal, and is basically just a cluster fuck of killing.

The Cowboy

Hardpoint, CTF, and Last Titan Standing are my favorite modes. Not sure why Attrition is the most popular mode considering it has no goal, and is basically just a cluster fuck of killing.
It being the best mode to farm up gens could be a big factor (think of the mode like the Metro map for BF3 - its not the best map, but the best map for farming up unlocks), and the fact Respawn really are pushing people into that mode - i mean look at the DLC playlists, its just Attrition mode and Variety mode.

Give it time, I'd wager it will end up with being Attrition mode and Variety mode for main game to.

Wow. That is insane. Instead of putting the game on sale as a way to increase player counts, they are simply removing the modes from public matches.

Sounds like an Onion article.

Frostburn

I enjoy Titanfall quite a bit but honestly between this game and COD games lately if you want to get in matches quickly they are all TDM games. Its a shame there are so many interesting modes and people default to the "Just run around and kill people" mode over being able to do that same thing WHILE having some sort of objective.

If I could control the "Playlists" I'd straight up take out FFA and TDM. (I'm sure that would be unpopular but I think once people tried other modes they'd enjoy them)

Skeleton

Banned
That really does suck for the PC community I love me some CTF.

Although leads me to this point..

Where is your master race now?

danielcw

They just removed the playlists, not the modes, right?
And the modes will be added to other playlists.

So why do poeple act like they are gone (forever)?

just give us a server browser, then put the game modes back in, then all will be fixed.

How would that help?
If there aren't enough people to get low wait times, the situation wouldn't be different.
After all matchmaking is like an automated server browser.

Footos22

Hope this doesn't happen to the Xbox one version. I prefer pilot hunter to any other mode.
No stupid AI to bump your score up and the titans are just glorified armour that can save your ass in a flinch.

Hardpoint domination would be the only mode i wouldn't miss.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
This is why you don't try to force your own client down people's throats.

"No Steam no buy" is no lie.

Has nothing to do with Origin. Has everything to do with the lack of content and what they're offering for $60 to where most PC people went "haha, nope" to it and the playercounts dropped.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Has nothing to do with Origin. Has everything to do with the lack of content and what they're offering for $60 to where most PC people went "haha, nope" to it and the playercounts dropped.

It's the first new property to get an "Origin" treatment and it flopped hard. Battlefield is going to sell fine where ever it is.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Not really. Halo removes playlists all the time if there is hardly any population for that particular playlist. The gametype is always available to play in custom games. Looks like Titanfall does the same.

I was thinking this the whole time. Doesn't Halo do this?

Come on, removing unpopular game modes from multiplayer games is not new and it certainly isn't indicative of the game being a failure.

For years Call of Duty has experimented with game modes, added, removed, etc. Just because you're the most popular game doesn't mean you're not going to have certain modes that just don't click with the community.

This is a shame because CTF mode is the mode where the mobility of the pilots really shines. The mode really rewards learning the maps and leveraging wall running to take fastest path between the bases.

scitek

Come on, removing unpopular game modes from multiplayer games is not new and it certainly isn't indicative of the game being a failure.

For years Call of Duty has experimented with game modes, added, removed, etc. Just because you're the most popular game doesn't mean you're not going to have certain modes that just don't click with the community.

The issue is really more to do with how soon they did it, and the fact that there is no single player content to fall back on. I literally can't try CTF now unless I get enough people together, or end up on it in Variety.

cametall

I mostly play Attrition and Hard Point, I didn't play Pilot Hunter until the first day the DLC came out (could only play variety matches). It became my favorite mode and after what, 48 hours it's gone? Ugh...

TTUVAPOR

Banned
http://www.titanfall.com/news/addressing-updates-to-pc-playlists

Great. I love Pilot Hunter, and I've heard that Capture the Flag is a blast to play but never got to play it. That leaves 3 game modes for matchmaking.

Of course people aren't playing Pilot Hunter as much as Attrition, the stat whores don't like being forced to kill pilots only to score points.

Attrition is the popular mode because it's a casual mode. Pilot Hunter was more hardcore.

Typomancer

Neo Member
I’ve played a lot of Titanfall on the PC, it’s one of my favorite FPS games ever. This is what really makes me mad about this change: they fixed the problem with people bringing the flag into their Titan on CTF, which directly made me not play CTF despite how fun it was, and then immediately turned around and removed the standalone mode from the menu.

CTF is easily the most fun game mode. Can’t believe that the one thing that needed fixing came about and now playing CTF is so stupidly rare. I don’t want to play through shitty Pilot Hunter and Last Titan Standing match-ups with randoms just to get a chance to play CTF.

Daemul

How is the player population on 360?

It's anecdotal but on the servers I play on, West and North Europe, I never have trouble finding a match in any mode. Some servers will obviously be more populated than the others, the US and European servers primarily having the most players.

Yep, and even Call of Duty since CoD4. People must have short memories, it's been happening for years.

Yeah, but none of those games launched with one of their main criticisms being that they're lacking in content.

Titanfall was incredibly barebones for a $60 game and now, instead of adding more content to keep the community active and engaged, they've released a not-free map pack and also removed modes from the game. It's kind of a shitty thing to do, really, and I don't see myself purchasing titanfall 2 given these recent decisions.

Eh? CTF was bloody fun in my opinion. Such a stupid excuse.

It was fun until people ran away wtih the flag inside there titans... thats the reason I stopped playing it. I was looking forward to getting back into it now that Titan driving with the flag was no longer a thing... but oh well...

Top Bottom