• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall PC: Pilot Hunter/CTF gone as separate modes: "not widely used, long waits"

scitek

A few are legitimately upset, yes. On the other hand, the I doubt the vast majority of people posting in this thread have ever played the game or have any intention to do so.

Surely you understand the concern this brings up in people that are interested in games in general, as it's one of the most publicized games of the year. If this game is allowed to let this garbage fly, what's stopping any other company from doing the same in the future?

You don't need to be a PC Titanfall player to see the negatives in this kind of playlist management.
And if you've played any game that uses matchmaking, you'd know that culling underutilized hoppers is standard practice. From a developer POV, they probably want to avoid situations where players wait 20 minutes for a match just to be matched with players who are not of the same skill level.

Surely you understand the concern this brings up in people that are interested in games in general, as it's one of the most publicized games of the year. If this game is allowed to let this garbage fly, what's stopping any other company from doing the same in the future?

Because like I've been saying, it's standard practice to cull underutilized hoppers in any game that uses matchmaking and has been occurring for years and years? The faux outrage over this instance is disgusting.

delirium

If I read it correctly then you can still play those modes for private matches and competitive play but they will not take up server bandwith to host modes only a minority of the players are playing. So you will just need to get 12 people together locally, something that should be much easier than waiting in a server to try to find other players right? Hey 12 people whose lives and schedules have no possibility of matching each other, lets take the time to locally setup a CTF game in titanfall because we can no longer use the mode we paid for in this 60$ game online because the company who made the mode wanted to reduce server load.
There's just no more dediciated CTF playlist. You can still get CTF games in the variety pack.

scitek

And if you've played any game that uses matchmaking, you'd know that culling underutilized hoppers is standard practice. From a developer POV, they probably want to avoid situations where players wait 20 minutes for a match just to be matched with players who are not of the same skill level.

It's standard practice 60 days after release?

Armaros

There's just no more dediciated CTF playlist. You can still get CTF games in the variety pack.

So if you want to play CTF, odds are you aren't.

Hmm, I always thought PC games end to have ways to avoid problems like this. I cant remember exactly what it was, but I am sure other games manage these type of issues much more easily compared to this.

Being a standard practice doesn't make it any more palatable. And this is only made even worse when comparing it to PC gaming norms.

And I think you'd find outrage whenever its been done because it does effect a subset of the game's players.

Rizsparky

This wouldn't be so bad if it was not a multiplayer only game, I thought it was bare-boned when I purchased it; even more so now.

scitek

Also, doing this right before a sale is plain moronic. I feel like it says a lot about the state of management at Respawn, or their communication with EA, which we know has already been incredibly poor.

What garbage? Taking out playlists that weren't being used? I own Titanfall and I see no problem with taking something out that's not active.

I get the human psychological thing that is Loss Aversion, but wow at this thread.

Ideally they'll mix in new playlists and modes, because the last thing I believe they'd want is to alienate purchasers of the game.

But if there were wait times of 20 minutes+, and if players of vastly different skill levels are being matched, that experience is terrible for all involved. Why would I want to keep in something that will make for a terrible experience?

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
And if you've played any game that uses matchmaking, you'd know that culling underutilized hoppers is standard practice.

But here is the thing, generally it takes a large amount of time for such thing to happen. The game has been out for only 2 months. 2 FUCKING MONTHS. Matchmaking on PC has to die already.

What garbage? Taking out playlists that weren't being used? I own Titanfall and I see no problem with taking something out that's not active.

I get the human psychological thing that is Loss Aversion, but wow at this thread.

Ideally they'll mix in new playlists and modes, because the last thing I believe they'd want is to alienate purchasers of the game.

But if there were wait times of 20 minutes+, and if players of vastly different skill levels are being matched, that experience is terrible for all involved. Why would I want to keep in something that will make for a terrible experience?

Not active? If this title couldn't find 6 people to pair up then removing a couple modes isn't going to save it. And please, don't act like it ever paired up skill levels. That's absurd.

Not active? If this title couldn't find 6 people to pair up then removing a couple modes isn't going to save it. And please, don't act like it ever paired up skill levels. That's absurd.

Okay, so say it won't save it... then what difference does it make if the playlist stays or goes? If it stays, no one plays it. If it goes, no one plays it.

Not having dedicated servers and server browsers was terrible to begin with. That's the problem, not that they're doing this playlist adjustment now.

Now, none of this matters. The tree is falling in the woods and no one gives a crap.

I edited my post very quickly to say that.

Regardless, it seems the market for FPS on PC these days is very narrow.

They just don't want to invest a lot of time in a game that will get replaced with it's yearly installment. People like to play a game for years if they are going to invest time into it. That doesn't work for some companies because they are constantly trying to sell you their next product.

Teknoman

Its cool that its not completely gone, but this kinda speaks toward the attitudes of FPS players in general today. Everyone is all deathmatch 24/7...no variety.

Armaros

So if you want to play CTF, you can't choose to, you just have to hope it pops up.

And if if you don't want to play CTF, you might anyway

Amazing isn't it?

Its almost like we have regressed in features and functions for some developers. How in the world do other much smaller games manage it?

Its cool that its not completely gone, but this kinda speaks toward the attitudes of FPS players in general today. Everyone is all deathmatch 24/7...no variety.

The irony here is that VARIETY is a popular playlist - more popular than CTF and pilot hunter. Because some of us like variety.

Why don't they, I don't know, offer double XP or something for the less popular modes rather than shut down the playlists altogether?

Naminator

Banned
I honestly don't blame them at all.

I absolutely LOVED CTF in this game up until everyone collectively decided to be cheap, camping pieces of scum!

I don't know why it happened all of the sudden, maybe some youtube bigshot released a video of how to effectively camp the flag with your titan or something, but the mode got absolutely ruined by the community.

CTF essentially went from my all time favorite mode to a piece of shit that I can only hope to forget, and I suspect thats what it was like for many others.

That being said tough, I think EA should hire Kojima to do these type of announcements, just so there would be no blowback.

http://halo.bungie.net/news/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=12844
http://halo.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?cid=12952

Hey, look at that. Quick, responsive matchmaking changes! You know, this kind of thing is actually DESIREABLE?

And wow at this thread indeed - so far as I can tell it's mostly a den for console warriors to get themselves in a frenzy.
You cited tweaks to play lists to tone down play mode frequencies ie shorty sniper. Those links were not removing whole play mode options. So please cite examples where whole playlist modes of a game were removed like you say happens all the time

Edit: I guess I won't get my answer.

Great explanations... not.

The whole point of a PC community is that a dedicated fanbase can costumize their gameplay options as much they can. PC games are supposed to have long legs. You are comparing a exclusive console game of an already console centric franchise with a PC/console new game franchise.

BigDug13

And what happens when hundreds more people buy the game during the next EA sale? Now that the mode has been stripped away, there is no way for these people to get into these dedicated game types. I've seen some corporate apologetic stuff before, but within 60 days from release removing 40% of your game types from being specifically chosen shows that they think the game is already dying and are trying to keep it on life support.

The game should have never had lobbies to begin with on PC and if this is what the Azure service brings us is forced lobbies in order to spin up servers, then that type of gaming and that service being used for gaming needs to DIAF.

BigDug13

This is tried in every game, and it always ends up the same way.. the developer finds out it just delays the inevitable.

The inevitable is that the game is dying already 60 days post release? There are more people leaving the game everyday than are buying the game to play?

That's not good...

Pudge

The game needs MORE game modes, not less.

They need a catch all objective playlist that has everything in it as well as a more dedicated Slayer/Deathmatch type list. The entire problem is that all the lists are single gametype, so of course the vast majority of players will just mindlessly play deathmatch if they're given no reason to change it up.

Sigh. This game... Such promise

hawk2025

This is tried in every game, and it always ends up the same way.. the developer finds out it just delays the inevitable.

Is there anything particularly wrong about delaying the removal of playlists?

Keeping in mind that servers are only spun up if there's demand for them.

Unheard of, a dev removing key game modes, let me just wait, why take away the ability to play it at all. There are so many games with small player activity and they're still open, with all their game modes intact. This doesn't bode well for the future, say in 5 years time when the online is a desert with only it's small but loyal community playing, will they just close the game.

scitek

The game needs MORE game modes, not less.

They need a catch all objective playlist that has everything in it as well as a more dedicated Slayer/Deathmatch type list. The entire problem is that all the lists are single gametype, so of course the vast majority of players will just mindlessly play deathmatch if they're given no reason to change it up.

Sigh. This game... Such promise

This. I think it's really fun, but its potential has been squandered to this point.

TheBear

I'm really struggling to think of a reason why developers insist on matchmaking, especially on pc. If it's matching player skill, it's bullshit because it doesn't work

Big-E

Don't give a flying fuck about Titanfall, but this better not be a trend of things to come. Already there are games on PC that try to do the matchmaking but most of the PC specific games will at least give the option of a server browser. I will probably stop multi player gaming if server browsers go away.

My time is not my own, sometimes I get a surprise free 20 minutes and it is really easy to boot up CS: GO, find a server with players and less than 100 ping and join it. I live in a country with shitty internet and matchmaking simply does not work as well as picking your own server and is no where near as immediate. Respawn's next game is going to have to be pretty much a complete overhaul of their first attempt if I am going to be tempted to try it.

Top Bottom