• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall PC: Pilot Hunter/CTF gone as separate modes: "not widely used, long waits"

scitek

You can still play them in the "variety" playlist, which has through a bunch of different modes.

You might even get more chance to play them now, from what I've heard :p

I also just picked this game, having a lot of fun with it and the expansion maps are cool too. The 6v6 is awesome and I love the fast-paced action. Pretty decent movement as well, sort of makes up for Brink.

Yeah I like the game. It's fun. Pulling modes during a sale, which is going on to get the game into more players' hands for not having enough players is straight silliness. Things mightve gotten a little better.

Lunzio

This is ridiculously dumb.

This is the future of having these servers always available, huh? They're allowed to just remove modes from an already small list of modes?

Vyrance

That's a really odd decision. Don't think I've heard of choices being removed like that. Surely there could have been a better decision

I think it would sell a lot better without EA's stench all over it.

I've never seen a shred of evidence that large numbers of people actually avoid games with the EA name on the box. This style of game just doesn't seem to have much life on PC these days. I kind of expected this to happen.

But I will say that EA making people jump though Origin hoops certainly can't help matters.

hawk2025

I've never seen a shred of evidence that large numbers of people actually avoid games with the EA name on the box. This style of game just doesn't seem to have much life on PC these days. I kind of expected this to happen.

This... style?

First person shooters?

BigDug13

I've never seen a shred of evidence that large numbers of people actually avoid games with the EA name on the box. This style of game just doesn't seem to have much life on PC these days. I kind of expected this to happen. The console is where people play this type of game these days.

It's difficult to come up with "evidence" because these companies never reveal their numbers of active accounts on their services. We don't know how many people have active Origin accounts. We do know that Steam now has over 80 million active accounts. And I'm more than willing to bet that Origin doesn't have anywhere close to that number.

So yes, it causes them to lose a potential audience by restricting the game to non-Steam ecosystems.

Hip Hop

I think it would sell a lot better without EA's stench all over it.

If anything, that's not really true, except for a very small minority.

Battlefield 4 is the testament of that. It sells regardless.

I guess Titanfall just has the "Call of Duty" stigma attached to it. Call of Duty has always been Steamworks. and yet, the game sells relatively low compared to the console counterpart.

I'm assuming this will stick with Titanfall. It's a more popular console game through and through.

This is ridiculously dumb.

This is the future of having these servers always available, huh? They're allowed to just remove modes from an already small list of modes?
They haven't removed any modes. Consolidation of playlists is nothing new, Halo has done this for ages in order to have higher populations in the various hoppers.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
There's nothing good about a game that can't sustain it's matchmaking lists 2 months after launch. But I'm glad the dead lists are no longer.

scitek

After BF4 and Sim City this past year, I think EA's involvement probably hurt it. I don't buy Call of Duty on PC because it's too expensive. Gamefly is having a 50% off sale this weekend and Black Ops 2 is still $30. I paid $23 for Titanfall, but I also used 1/6th of my monthly data cap to download it, I think if it had been on Steam, it would've sold at least a little better. That's fair to assume, I think just due to the sheer number of active users it has.

Lunzio

They haven't removed any modes. Consolidation of playlists is nothing new, Halo has done this for ages in order to have higher populations in the various hoppers.

It's just a very ridiculous thing to do though if I want to play a particular mode out of a very small list already. CTF was a game I liked to specifically play every so often just to cleanse my palette.

After BF4 and Sim City this past year, I think EA's involvement probably hurt it. I don't buy Call of Duty on PC because it's too expensive. Gamefly is having a 50% off sale this weekend and Black Ops 2 is still $30. I paid $23 for Titanfall, but I also used 1/6th of my monthly data cap to download it, I think if it had been on Steam, it would've sold at least a little better. That's fair to assume, I think just due to the sheer number of active users it has.

I edited my post very quickly to say that.

Regardless, it seems the market for FPS on PC these days is very narrow.

Iorv3th

Well I was considering buying it in the origin sale. Guess I'll keep my money. Thanks for making it an easy choice.

The Cowboy

Can they get sued for this?
No chance, most places don't have proper sales laws in regards to digital content/games and as such right now customers don't really have a leg to stand on (hence most DD stores etc having terrible refund policies).

I can't wait until the new UK laws come in so stuff like this is easily fixed, its long overdue.

No chance, most places don't have proper sales laws in regards to digital content/games and as such right now customers don't really have a leg to stand on (hence most DD stores etc having terrible refund policies).

I can't wait until the new UK laws come in so stuff like this is easily fixed, its long overdue.

It's not about refunds as it is about the idea they basically pulled two full modes that are still present in other versions and still ask you to pay for that game at the same price as other versions. The game has been out 2 months, and then they drop a bomb of a lame excuse on us. I'm actually reading through the the EULA right now to see if they can do this at any time.

conman

The big problem with expensive, online-only titles. Populations are destined to die off, and with them, so too goes the reason to buy/play the game ever again. Too bad the numbers for Titanfall died off so quickly, though. I really would have liked to play... just not at full price.

Ehh...That's kind of a shitty thing to do. Just because they aren't played as often as other game modes, doesn't mean you should take the entire thing out of your game. I mean let's be honest, it's not like TitanFall has that many game modes to begin with.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
This game's player base fell off a cliff so quick. Last time I played I kept getting matched against the same people after leaving lobbies because they were obnoxious. Viva la origin de mexico for getting me this game for like $30.

Tried contacting EA for a refund, and they said to contact the retailer...called them, and they said it's against federal law to return for open video games -_-

BigDug13

So many people expressing outrage for a game they have no interest in playing whatsoever. (Apologies to the few who do).

Right, because we're not allowed to complain about business decisions that could easily become a trend in our hobby unless we're personally affected by every single game that makes poor business decisions?

teokrazia

Some minutes ago I had a shot of luck and I found a CTF game in Variety Pack, also in my fav Expedition map, War Games:
QCxpWtN.jpg

And I had alot of fun:
S35egLz.jpg

Come on, Respawn, I still trust you: drop this lobby crap and give us server browser + community servers! #dream

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Is there anything in it that says they are NOT allowed to do it?

Companies don't go to the trouble of writing overly long EULA if such inferences were implicit. They exist to cover the companies ass or ever so slightly depending on the region.

If it's not stated you should at the very least be able to launch an appeal based on this fact if true.

Armaros

It's because it's the principle of the thing and should never happen.

Especially coming from the devs that abandoned dedicated servers and then came back espousing how amazing azure servers are for the same exact reasons of why dedicated servers were good, and then pull this off.

delirium

Do people not read the OP?

CTF and Pilot Hunter aren't gone, their playlist is gone.

This is nothing new. Several games have tweaked playlist before.

Hip Hop

I was able to get a refund just now. The game was unplayable since the beginning of April and have not play since. All because Pilot Hunter started to become unplayable.
I explained my reason, no questions asked, and they refunded me.

Like I said, I can't blame them, the community is not there. I'll be avoiding any future Titanfall titles on PC.

I loved the game, but the mode was the only reason I was playing. If anything, I'll probably get it down the line for my future Xbox One when it's relatively cheap, just for the great customer service EA gave me. They get a lot of shit, and this was surprising.

Lots of people are upset they have no interest in playing anymore due to removal of modes they enjoyed.

A few are legitimately upset, yes. On the other hand, the I doubt the vast majority of people posting in this thread have ever played the game or have any intention to do so.

shem935

Banned
Do people not read the OP?

CTF and Pilot Hunter aren't gone, their playlist is gone.

This is nothing new. Several games have tweaked playlist before.

If I read it correctly then you can still play those modes for private matches and competitive play but they will not take up server bandwith to host modes only a minority of the players are playing. So you will just need to get 12 people together locally, something that should be much easier than waiting in a server to try to find other players right? Hey 12 people whose lives and schedules have no possibility of matching each other, lets take the time to locally setup a CTF game in titanfall because we can no longer use the mode we paid for in this 60$ game online because the company who made the mode wanted to reduce server load.

If I read it correctly then you can still play those modes for private matches and competitive play but they will not take up server bandwith to host modes only a minority of the players are playing. So you will just need to get 12 people together locally, something that should be much easier than waiting in a server to try to find other players right? Hey 12 people whose lives and schedules have no possibility of matching each other, lets take the time to locally setup a CTF game in titanfall because we can no longer use the mode we paid for in this 60$ game online because the company who made the mode wanted to reduce server load.
Or you could play variety, where both pilot hunter and ctf live on. It has nothing to do with reducing server load and everything to do with maintaining good matchmaking.

What about people who only like to play CTF? Why should they had to play other game modes they may not enjoy just for the chance to play the one they do?

Because not enough people like playing only CTF to make a good matchmaking experience.

A few are legitimately upset, yes. On the other hand, the I doubt the vast majority of people posting in this thread have ever played the game or have any intention to do so.
You don't need to be a PC Titanfall player to see the negatives in this kind of playlist management.

shem935

Banned
Or you could play variety, where both pilot hunter and ctf live on. It has nothing to do with reducing server load and everything to do with maintaining good matchmaking.

Because not enough people like playing only CTF to make a good matchmaking experience.

I read the OP and that detail wasn't in there so my apologies I should have looked at the source but the guy above me is right. I don't mind sitting in a cue if it means I get to play the mode I want. Respawn should not be concerned with the matchmaking experience as it relates to there being to few players they should try to make a game where all of the modes are fun and engaging. Not ones that need to be culled because people are waiting too long.

Top Bottom