• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU epilogue scene shown at TLOU One Night Live

foxtrot3d

Banned
It makes me feel really good to know that
there eventually is trust there again.

Eh, I've never considered the final scene to be a breaking or lack of trust. Ellie clearly knows that Joel is lying but she accepts it because at this point she cares more about being with Joel than knowing the truth. And while it's hard to judge a scene from second hand accounts, I doubt she'd be harboring the same grudge four years later, the "distance" reported would likely be a part of the teenage angst she would be going through at that point as opposed to being singularly about some lie told years earlier.

Eh, I've never considered the final scene to be a breaking or lack of trust. Ellie clearly knows that Joel is lying but she accepts it because at this point she cares more about being with Joel than knowing the truth. And while it's hard to judge a scene from second hand accounts, I don't she'd be harboring the same grudge four years later, the "distance" reported would likely be a part of the teenage angst she would be going through at that point as opposed to being singularly about some lie told years earlier.

I'm stunned by how people interpret this game's ending

Alfredo

I don't think the world of The Last Of Us is interesting enough to have a sequel without Ellie and Joel.

But I guess I should play through the game again to make sure?

Gartooth

A sequel that doesn't have Joel and Ellie would still be a sequel. And Kratos story was always intended for more games, Last of Us was not.

Yeah it'd be a sequel as a continuation of the series, but from a storytelling perspective it wouldn't if it distances itself from the plot and characters of the original.

I used Kratos as an example, because God of War 3 was hyped up as the ending of the series only for Kratos to return in more games. Technically they were prequels, but regardless using the character over and over again just cheapened what should've been a farewell to his story.
Not that I give a shit about the plot of the God of War series anyway.

StuBurns

Banned
Ellie accepts his lie, knowing it's a lie, because she knows he's lying to protect her.

She woke up in a medical gown, and they're separated before the hospital, his lie doesn't hold up for a fraction of a second, but it didn't need too.

foxtrot3d

Banned
No, you aren't

You're right I'm not stunned, people have been acting like they know the one true interpretation of the game since it came out despite Druckman repeatedly saying "it ain't that simple."

Ellie accepts his lie, knowing it's a lie, because she knows he's lying to protect her.

She woke up in a medical gown, and they're separated before the hospital, his lie doesn't hold up for a fraction of a second, but it didn't need too.

Jobbs

Banned
Eh, I've never considered the final scene ...

I think that
"Okay" is Ellie accepting that she can't trust Joel and has to do her own thing, or something along those lines. It's probably more complicated than that, but that's kind of the conclusion I came to

Spineker

Banned
Very surprised by this but props to Naughty Dog. The presence of Ellie and Joel would have helped a sequel sell but they've chosen to go with a fresh angle which is cool too.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I think that "Okay" is Ellie accepting that she can't trust Joel and has to do her own thing, or something along those lines. It's probably more complicated than that, but that's kind of the conclusion I came to.

Hmph, that's a very different and interesting interpretation.

So IGN posted this

http://trib.al/YfAzN4k

I'm again, pretty sure it IS NOT set 4 years after the game, rather relatively soon after. Unless I missed this part, Druckman never said 4 years, and I highly doubt Ellie would not talk to Joel for 4 years. They seem like they are still settling in to their new "home". I have no clue where this 4 year thing came from.

Palocca

So IGN posted this

http://trib.al/YfAzN4k

I'm again, pretty sure it IS NOT set 4 years after the game, rather relatively soon after. Unless I missed this part, Druckman never said 4 years, and I highly doubt Ellie would not talk to Joel for 4 years. They seem like they are still settling in to their new "home". I have no clue where this 4 year thing came from.

I thought Neil said four years after the ending, but I could have heard it wrong? Maybe some of the other people at the show could correct me.

I thought Neil said four years after the ending, but I could have heard it wrong? Maybe some of the other people at the show could correct me.

He may of mentioned the 4 years it took to develop? Either way, it would be weird to have an end, and then cut to a 4 year gap, and still have Ellie be distant after that period of time. From the dialogue, it seems as though it is maybe a few weeks after the game ends. Ellie mentions she has a job that has something to do with a fence, Joel has a new job, etc.

DOWN

Banned
I hate the notion of never seeing these characters again, but not as much as I hate the idea of seeing them again in a sequel.

Ashley oozes passion so I hope we see a lot more of her in the industry.

Jobbs

Banned
Hmph, that's a very different and interesting interpretation.

Ellie's story is about sort of awakening to the idea that she doesn't need or can count on the parental figures she keeps looking up to.

I don't think she hates joel at the end, but I think she feels like he robbed something from her.

I've thought and written about this so many times since the game came out, though, I could write novels on what I think. My initial reaction was closer to yours, honestly, but over time and thinking about it more I came to another view.

Palocca

He may of mentioned the 4 years it took to develop? Either way, it would be weird to have an end, and then cut to a 4 year gap, and still have Ellie be distant after that period of time. From the dialogue, it seems as though it is maybe a few weeks after the game ends.

You could very well be right. I was in a scramble to try and write down what I had just watched from the show and could have mixed up that timeline part.

That said, it did feel like a good time amount of time had passed by, and it would be understandable for Joel and Ellie to not spend a lot of time together. Joel did acknowledge that they haven't been able to spend a lot of time with Ellie because of the new jobs they had.

Not to make anything official, but from the context of the dialogue as well as the song, it sounded to me that Joel initially began writing the song for Sarah, but now it is for Ellie. If I remember correctly Joel says something along the lines of "I was writing this before.... Nevermind that".

Not to make anything official, but from the context of the dialogue as well as the song, it sounded to me that Joel initially began writing the song for Sarah, but now it is for Ellie. If I remember correctly Joel says something along the lines of "I was writing this before.... Nevermind that".

Yeah that's the idea I got as well.

Reaperssj

I would love a last of us 2 but with all new characters and a new setting perhaps a post apocalytic japan would be cool especially if we get to use a katana melee weapon and have a dog companion or something whatever naughty gods put out im buying

Dice//

Banned
It's kinda shitty to make this so exclusive. Hell, why NOT throw it into the remastered version? I bet some people are double-dipping to buy the experience again. It's a nice treat for attendees, it's just such a shame so many fans are kept from it because they couldn't attend the screening. :/

Mixed thoughts about the epilogue "farewell". :(
I love J&E, but new characters would be just as welcome if they had anywhere near the same level of chemistry.

Cloudy

Banned
I don't think the world of The Last Of Us is interesting enough to have a sequel without Ellie and Joel.

What? They do sequels in other parts of the country/world. With firefly members or even reluctant soldiers or hunters.

They could get a ton of mileage out of this franchise IMO

Please Neil and Naughty Dog, dont re-visit Joel or Ellie. Their story is near perfect the way it is and ended.

Go with something new, in a new setting perhaps, with new characters that will allow you to do different things story wise. I cannot wait to see where they go with TLOU2

This is a trend that is finally catching on here in the U.S. (in a popular way) with shows like American Horror Story and True Detective; these shows are more anthologies in the way the seasons are presented than direct sequels/continuations and I would love to see that trend trickle down into the way some developers approach the development of their IPs. I think TLoU is a wonderful candidate for that.

Jobbs

Banned
This is a trend that is finally catching on here in the U.S. (in a popular way) with shows like American Horror Story and True Detective; these shows are more anthologies in the way the seasons are presented than direct sequels/continuations and I would love to see that trend trickle down into the way some developers approach the development of their IPs. I think TLoU is a wonderful candidate for that.

selfishly I'd love to see another game that was about Ellie, (I don't think there's anything else to do with Joel, his arc was very self contained in the first game) and I do think this could work. I also, however, see how you can sort of make the original game more special by letting it stand on its own. I have a foot in each camp.

EITHER WAY, though, what an incredible and frightening task it will be to follow this game up.

No pressure, guys!

Palocca

I just want to clarify that Neil actually said the special epilogue was a goodbye tribute to Joel, Ellie, and the four years of developing the game.

I left the theater with the impression that this is the ending to the story of Joel and Ellie together. I don't think the door's completely closed for a story that potentially stars Ellie.

Cloudy

Banned

I don't think you waste a character like Ellie with just one game

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

But I guess I should play through the game again to make sure?
The quality of the writing and storytelling is what makes TLOU special to me, not the specific story told. I'd be totally fine with new characters.

selfishly I'd love to see another game that was about Ellie, (I don't think there's anything else to do with Joel, his arc was very self contained in the first game) and I do think this could work. I also, however, see how you can sort of make the original game more special by letting it stand on its own. I have a foot in each camp.

EITHER WAY, though, what an incredible and frightening task it will be to follow this game up.

No pressure, guys!

I would love to play as Joel in the sequel for the first 5 minutes before he is chewed down to pieces in front of Ellie. In fact, I've always wanted a Zombie game where you will die no matter how far you make it, and that whenever you die the sequence will end and you switch character.

Like a mind fuck up where a player doesn't know if he was supposed to die there or not.

Pull a Sons of Liberty, ND!

sappyday

While I do think we can do more with her like with any character from a lot of fiction, but she doesn't need it. There was nothing loose with her character that needed to explored. She understands now how the world works and how people work. She is fantastic character but her dynamic is with her and Joel. It would be a waste to have a sequel focused on her.

Honestly, I could go either way when it comes to a direct sequel to TLoU. Ellie and Joel are some of my favorite characters ever, but there have also been tons of characters in other books and movies that I've loved that will never see a sequel and while part of me would always like more, I don't necessarily think those characters or their potential were wasted.

So this is the last of Joel and Ellie we will see.....

447px-Manlytears3.jpg

He may of mentioned the 4 years it took to develop? Either way, it would be weird to have an end, and then cut to a 4 year gap, and still have Ellie be distant after that period of time. From the dialogue, it seems as though it is maybe a few weeks after the game ends. Ellie mentions she has a job that has something to do with a fence, Joel has a new job, etc.
Yeah, whoever was first to explain what happened misunderstood what Druckman was saying. He was in fact referring to the 4 year development cycle, not that four years had passed in game. "A few weeks" is the best description for the reasons you stated. The post that explains Ellie being distant is basically EVERYTHING that happened. I was walking down Santa Monica boulevard while typing on my phone... I left some details out.

After having some time to reflect on it, the ending we got was the best ending possible. It was cool seeing the alternate ending, and it felt great seeing it played out, with the devs watching alongside us fans, just this one time. I think ND should still release it though. It just completely changes the tone of the ending. It's a undisputable happy ending.

Palocca

Yeah, whoever was first to explain what happened misunderstood what Druckman was saying. He was in fact referring to the 4 year development cycle, not that four years had passed in game. "A few weeks" is the best description for the reasons you stated. The post that explains Ellie being distant is basically EVERYTHING that happened. I was walking down Santa Monica boulevard while typing on my phone... I left some details out.

After having some time to reflect on it, the ending we got was the best ending possible. It was cool seeing the alternate ending, and it felt great seeing it played out, with the devs watching alongside us fans, just this one time. I think ND should still release it though. It just completely changes the tone of the ending. It's a undisputable happy ending.

Yeah I think you guys are right about the time passing. That's my bad.

I do think the special ending was really great, especially since I was pulling for both of their happiness. But, I completely understand why they cut it out of the game. It would be a bit jarring having set up this consistent tone through the entire game and then have it end on a happy note like that.

Zen

Banned
Glad to see Ellie still hasn't softened to joel after what he did. He does not deserve a new ~daughter~ and she has no need of a pathologically lying monster for a father.

While I do think we can do more with her like with any character from a lot of fiction, but she doesn't need it. There was nothing loose with her character that needed to explored. She understands now how the world works and how people work. She is fantastic character but her dynamic is with her and Joel. It would be a waste to have a sequel focused on her.

Showing how she grows completely into her own realizes and surpasses Joels limitations (and ultimate has to put him down when she shoots him in the head) would be an interest story.

Chinner

Banned
Here is the TRUE epologiologue to TLOU:

3 years later, Joel and Ellie have found a nice cabin in the mountains where they are living their life. They have not seen the infected for over 1 year now, and they are starting to fiind the formalities of life.

Ellie has developed into a woman, her beasts are large and juicy, and shes got an attitude to match their perkiness. Her buttom is big enough to make any mans head turn, but not big enough to be fat. Joel is the same.

Ellie is in her room reading her joke books, joel enters carrying some wood.

Ellie: Hey Joel, listen to this joke. "Who is the best president .... President Obama'... I don't get it.

Joel: The joke is that he's black.

Ellie: Oh.

Joel: Ellie I need to talk to you.

Ellie: Okay.

Joel: Ellie, I just finished playing Left Behind. Why didn't you tell me you are gay? why did you lead me on? If I knew you were into girls...

Ellie: Joel-san....

Joel: Did I ever tell you about my wife? She is beautiful, intelligent and crazy in the sack. Do you know how long its been since I last had sex? Too long if you ask me.

Ellie remains silent.

Joel: The craziest thing was the fisting. She loved it. She used to beg me. This one time I managed to fit my elbow up inside her, and she was crying. Crying with joy, Ellie.

Ellie: Joel...

Joel: You don't know what it's like to be 40-60 years old and not be touched by a lady. I have to play squash to take my mind off things.

Ellie looks at Joel and a single tear emerges from her eye, she slowly backs onto the bed and takes her pants off. With that she opens her legs and nods at Joel.

Joel: No, Ellie!

Ellie: I want this as much as you do.

Joel hesitates but rolls up his sleeve. Suddenly he sprints towards her and punches her pleasure hole.

Ellie: Yes Joel-San. Yes!

Joel keeps prodding with his hand, as if he was looking for his phone in the bottom of his bag.

Joel: *grunting*

Ellie: Joel-San, you must reach deeper to active my pleasure mode!

Joel grunts and pushes his fist as hard as he can. The intense pressure breaks his elbow, but with that he gives one push and his entire arm is in.

Ellie: uguuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

There is a knock at the door, and a man emerges.

It's David Hayter.

The end.

HORRORSHØW

Here is the TRUE epologiologue to TLOU:

Joel: The craziest thing was the fisting. She loved it. She used to beg me. This one time I managed to fit my elbow up inside her, and she was crying. Crying with joy, Ellie.

Ellie: Joel...

Joel: You don't know what it's like to be 40-60 years old and not be touched by a lady. I have to play squash to take my mind off things.

Ellie looks at Joel and a single tear emerges from her eye, she slowly backs onto the bed and takes her pants off. With that she opens her legs and nods at Joel.

Joel: No, Ellie!

Ellie: I want this as much as you do.

Joel hesitates but rolls up his sleeve. Suddenly he sprints towards her and punches her pleasure hole.

Ellie: Yes Joel-San. Yes!

Joel keeps prodding with his hand, as if he was looking for his phone in the bottom of his bag.

Joel: *grunting*

Ellie: Joel-San, you must reach deeper to active my pleasure mode!

Joel grunts and pushes his fist as hard as he can. The intense pressure breaks his elbow, but with that he gives one push and his entire arm is in.

Ellie: uguuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

The end.

lol

Top Bottom