• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU PRO Patch 1.08 - Supersampling removed from all modes [Up: New DF video]

holygeesus

Banned
I'm not saying they have done this at all (I appreciate it has messed things up big-time for some Pro players) but if *they* are happy they have achieved what they wanted to with the patch - i.e. fixed it for 4K players, then that might be why they haven't responded. They are satisfied with the patch and there won't be a follow-up?

5taquitos

can't believe this still hasn't been addressed.

the whole push for 4k gaming with these mid gen consoles reeks of desperation to sell the 4k TV's no-one really wants or needs. devs holding back supersampling for 1080p users feels like the same thing. holding back a feature so people rush out and buy some sony 4k set so they can actually see a difference on their new console they just bought.

This is nonsense.

Microsoft will be pushing 4K just as hard with Scorpio, and already are with the One S. I'm sure it's because they want you to go buy a Microsoft 4K TV...

The PS4 Pro really is a clusterfuck that keeps on clustering.

It really isn't. A handful of titles have some issues, but there is no clusterfuck here.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
At the moment yes and it's looking like it might stay that way, but still wary that owning the first version of an iterative console is soon going to mean games lacking visual fidelity, features, etc. much in the way owning an old PC would.

If that's the case, yes, iterative consoles will negatively affect the console market as a whole in my opinion.

Nope, PS4 Pro is great. The performance improvements in The Last Guardian, Battlefield 1, Titandall 2 and Overwatch alone are worth it.

Most if not all PS4 games will get Pro improvements from here on out. You're stuck on two games (Last of Us which came out before the Pro and Dishonored 2 came out at the same time) and claiming its negatively affecting the market. What about all the games that do get significant improvements? Are we going to ignore those so you can cherry pick one or two titles to prove your point? Lacking visual fidelity and features? Holy hyperbole thats a blatant lie.

We can safely assume that's not the case in TLOU however as the 4K / 30 mode never had any issues being downsampled to 1080p. Before they removed it, I mean.

TLOU also has a 60fps mode though too. So the 4K mode may be a non issue, but that's not to say it's not the case in TLOU because of the other mode.

holygeesus

Banned
Nope, PS4 Pro is great. The performance improvements in The Last Guardian, Battlefield 1, Titandall 2 and Overwatch alone are worth it.

Most if not all PS4 games will get Pro improvements from here on out. You're stuck on two games (Last of Us which came out before the Pro and Dishonored 2 came out at the same time) and claiming its negatively affecting the market. What about all the games that do get significant improvements? Are we going to ignore those so you can cherry pick one or two titles to prove your point? Lacking visual fidelity and features? Holy hyperbole thats a blatant lie.

Another plus point for the Pro that doesn't seem to get a mention - if I play a regular non-Pro patched PS4 game now, I can barely hear the system at all. A small detail but worth mentioning.

Plasma

Banned
The PS4 Pro really is a clusterfuck that keeps on clustering.
Eh I think that might be taking it a bit too far, I think I'd like to see some more guidelines set down by Sony though and some changes to the OS so you can see pro enabled games without having to search online.

They worked quickly with the community (even invited someone from GAF to test iirc) to improve the aiming acceleration issue in UC3. Compared to that, the silence on this issue is deafening.
You forget the fact that back in 2011 the PS3 struggled against the XBOX 360.

Times have changed since then. The PS4 is the world's best selling console according to Sony.

So yeah, Scorpio should add heat to the competition:

IMO We going to have to wait for the scorpio to be released...
because if we are to believe Microsoft's "spec list for the scorpio" the ps4pro may have a rough time competing with the Scorpio...
therefore, Sony/"the studios" will have to start trying harder, by stop removing features "because they are to hard to implement"

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
TLOU also has a 60fps mode though too. So the 4K mode may be a non issue, but that's not to say it's not the case in TLOU because of the other mode.
Well I meant if that really was an issue - unlikely as it may be, it would still not prevent them from implementing downsample in 30FPS mode.

dan2026

Hey, if you say it enough times, it's bound to end up true!

So you are telling me the fact that there is no standardisation at all with the thing other than a general 'should be better than the base system' mandate, is a good thing?

Its basically a licence for devs to do whatever they please with it. Or more accurately whatever they have time for. And sometimes it doesn't even follow the 'should be better' mandate.
You have to dig online to find out what the developers have even done to the 'pro version'!

Seems like a clusterfuck to me. This thread alone has 29 pages of people complaining.

And you guys really don't have to be so defensive over it. I didn't say that it was bad, just that it is somewhat of a mess.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
What has recently been happening with it that makes you say this? Pro receiving a much better looking version of Nier definitely doesn't classify as that.
The Pro mode offers 1080p......not really a big deal, thats like PS4 v Xbox One differences.
So add that to TLOU downgrade, Assassins Creed Syndicate downgrade which makes it worse than prepatch base PS4 version and adds a 4k UI, Assassins Creed Ezio Collection being 1080p only on 1080p TV's, The Division with 4k UI and 1080p graphics, Batman Return to Akham.
Yes it a select few, mostly Ubisoft but those are the most recent and all came after TLOU got downgraded, and now Nier is 1080p on Pro?
I understand base PS4 being 900p but Pro manages only 1080p for Nier?
So it reach the minimum spec......Bravo.
I understand other games are getting better Pro support in the future but the consistency of that shit in the last month looks bad.

black070

The Pro mode offers 1080p......not really a big deal, thats like PS4 v Xbox One differences.
So add that to TLOU downgrade, Assassins Creed Syndicate downgrade which makes it worse than prepatch base PS4 version and adds a 4k UI, Assassins Creed Ezio Collection being 1080p only on 1080p TV's, The Division with 4k UI and 1080p graphics, Batman Return to Akham.
Yes it a select few, mostly Ubisoft but those are the most recent and all came after TLOU got downgraded, and now Nier is 1080p on Pro?
I understand base PS4 being 900p but Pro manages only 1080p for Nier?
So it reach the minimum spec......Bravo.
I understand other games are getting better Pro support in the future but the consistency of that shit in the last month looks bad.

I'd wait for release before touting specs for Nier.

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/201...ntage_of_the_ps4_pro_with_improved_4k_visuals

Also, none of those examples save for Syndicate (which is said to being looked at) count as downgrades.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

pixelbox

I love my Pro, its realy amazing. I have no 4K tv and Im pleased with the improvements
It almost feels like a quality of life console, which i have no problems with. Originally, i got it for space as a 2 TB HD is about 70 bucks. Then i started looking at other improvements such as streaming at a higher resolution (as I am a streamer), better wifi *5ghz; which is clutch. It also runs super quiet; once again proving it's worth ad a streamer. Plus as an added bonus my games looks and plays better with more refined visuals.

It started to become really clear my desire to switch was worth it. My old ps4 was hair dryer loud, running out of space, had a crappy wifi link, and had an issue with the Power touch which would activate during a stream and end it. I'm excited to see what they do with future games. I want add, i was against the whole idea but now i see this as like the PC arena where all games will run but if you can afford it, you get the same game with refined visuals.

BigEmil

Nice! I liked the demo. But was a bit underwhelmed with how it looked.
60fps open world ish game is demanding on the CPU, Pro's CPU is only slightly boosted so to keep it stable they likely only kept it at 1080p to ensure stable 60fps. Also Platinum's in-house engine isn't that impressive.
Nioh also has 1080p 60fps action mode for PS4 Pro while 720p and rare times lower dynamic res action mode for OG PS4. Though Nioh still looks more graphically likely better optimisation and engine and not as lower budget as Nier

Head.spawn

I'd wait for release before touting specs for Nier.

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/201...ntage_of_the_ps4_pro_with_improved_4k_visuals

Also, none of those examples save for Syndicate (which is said to being looked at) count as downgrades.

900p/60fps to 4k/60fps is quite the jump.

I'm finding that a bit hard to believe to be honest.

Also, calling it "4k quality" sounds like they're trying to push the term into semantics... I've seen a few developers referring to their "4k mode", which aren't actually 4k at all.

I hope that's the case though, i dug the game from what i played.

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
Iv been following this thread since the day it was made and sadly still no new patch to bring back supersampling. I still have never played the Last Of Us ever, I have it sitting here ready to go, I was about to start it the week the latest patch come out but decided to hold off, I didnt want to start and then the new patch come out but its looking more and more like there wont be one and I may aswell start soon with or without supersampling, this is were it would be nice for Naughty Dog to just come out and say there will be or wont be a new update reguarding supersampling.

Iv been following this thread since the day it was made and sadly still no new patch to bring back supersampling. I still have never played the Last Of Us ever, I have it sitting here ready to go, I was about to start it the week the latest patch come out but decided to hold off, I didnt want to start and then the new patch come out but its looking more and more like there wont be one and I may aswell start soon with or without supersampling, this is were it would be nice for Naughty Dog to just come out and say there will be or wont be a new update reguarding supersampling.

Supersampling is nice and all, but the game is already super clean at 1080p. Feel free to just go ahead an play it.

thelastword

Banned
I agree with that statement but we're still waiting for Naughty Dog to do something about it, I mean, it was there in the first place.
You know what's crazy about this, people were complaining that TLOU had frame drops on PS3. It's 25fps they said. It was remastered on PS4 at 1080p 60fps 98% of the time, they complained about the bloater framedrops and complained about not having high quality shadows. The game was patched to 1800p res 60fps with supersampling on PRO, they complained that the framerate was worse than base PS4. The game was then patched to alleviate those framerate issues at the cost to supersampling, they now complain they want supersampling back. The game was also given a locked 60fps mode at 1080p in that same patch.... Any body complaining about framedrops in the bloater fight no longer had nothing to complain about, as a bonus ND even implemented high quality shadows in that 60fps mode. People are no longer anal on framerate, they've now shifted to supersampling.......

At this point, you want to figure out if some persons really want to play the game or do they want to complain. A perfectly locked 60fps, A 4k mode at locked 30fps, an 1800p mode at 60fps that performs better than the base PS4 remaster......All modes with AA, but clearly non of these modes meet the standards of some....

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
Supersampling is nice and all, but the game is already super clean at 1080p. Feel free to just go ahead an play it.

Thanks Heckler, I think i will just start it soon, iv got such a backlog to get through aswell so Il probably play a few more games first and then il just get on with it.

Melchiah

You know what's crazy about this, people were complaining that TLOU had frame drops on PS3. It's 25fps they said. It was remastered on PS4 at 1080p 60fps 98% of the time, they complained about the bloater framedrops and complained about not having high quality shadows. The game was patched to 1800p res 60fps with supersampling on PRO, they complained that the framerate was worse than base PS4. The game was then patched to alleviate those framerate issues at the cost to supersampling, they now complain they want supersampling back. The game was also given a locked 60fps mode at 1080p in that same patch.... Any body complaining about framedrops in the bloater fight no longer had nothing to complain about, as a bonus ND even implemented high quality shadows in that 60fps mode. People are no longer anal on framerate, they've now shifted to supersampling.......

At this point, you want to figure out if some persons really want to play the game or do they want to complain. A perfectly locked 60fps, A 4k mode at locked 30fps, an 1800p mode at 60fps that performs better than the base PS4 remaster......All modes with AA, but clearly non of these modes meet the standards of some....

I played the game on the PS3 and PS4, and wanted to play it with supersampling for the third time. I couldn't care less about framerate, but I do care a lot about better image quality, which is now out of my reach as a 1080p display owner. So, the changes that were made to please the performance crowd did nothing for me. Instead, they made the ultimate version of one of my all-time top 3 games worse for me. Your insinuation about it being something else than a legit complaint is just absurd.

EDIT:
This is always the case, you have to sift out the complainers a bit and understand the will of the gamers as a whole.

I wish ND had done exactly that with the performance complaints, so we could still have supersampling.

thelastword

Banned
I played the game on the PS3 and PS4, and wanted to play it with supersampling for the third time. I couldn't care less about framerate, but I do care a lot about better image quality, which is now out of my reach as a 1080p display owner. So, the changes that were made to please the performance crowd did nothing for me. Instead, they made the ultimate version of one of my all-time top 3 games worse for me. Your insinuation about it being something else than a legit complaint is just absurd.

The game does have AA, IQ wise without supersampling, the games is pretty clean with high quality shadows and 16x AF......It's just strange that this is the first console to offer supersampling for only a couple months and people are pretending they can't do without it. No game this gen has been a jagfest, especially TLOU remastered which has AA coverage..

If you insist that this is how you want to play your next run, I have no qualms or problems with that, but you must understand why the situation is what it is now....It's how the history was written..........At this point, you just have to wait or eventually play it, The IQ is still better than what you last played on PS4...

Melchiah

The game does have AA, IQ wise without supersampling, the games is pretty clean with high quality shadows and 16x AF......It's just strange that this is the first console to offer supersampling for only a couple months and people are pretending they can't do without it. No game this gen has been a jagfest, especially TLOU remastered which has AA coverage..

If you insist that this is how you want to play your next run, I have no qualms or problems with that, but you must understand why the situation is what it is now....It's how the history was written..........At this point, you just have to wait or eventually play it, The IQ is still better than what you last played on PS4...

Pretending? I bought the Pro mostly for promised supersampling, and was playing the game with it for a couple of days, until it was removed. Slightly better anti-aliasing just isn't the same, and is nowhere near enough to compensate for the loss of pristine image quality. I haven't even once complained about framerate issues, not even on the PS3.

EDIT: If supersampling won't be brought back, I'll eventually play the game when I buy a 4K display. The thing is, it's going to be a long wait until the displays with the HDMI 2.1 features will be affordable, and I won't be buying the current models. So, at worst it could be 2019 before I can experience the game with an improved visual quality.

Izuna

Banned

First console to do supersampling?

I beg to differ...

900p/60fps to 4k/60fps is quite the jump.

I'm finding that a bit hard to believe to be honest.

Also, calling it "4k quality" sounds like they're trying to push the term into semantics... I've seen a few developers referring to their "4k mode", which aren't actually 4k at all.

I hope that's the case though, i dug the game from what i played.

it sounds like completely bollocks if I say so myself.

Melchiah

Planet

Happy to see the feedback thread got ressurrected. And it is getting a steady flow of additional votes already, nice.
it doesn't mention anything about the supersampled 2160p/30fps mode
I guess it should be pretty obvious to do that as well if they do anything at all on this matter.

But, did you really see any difference on downsampled 2160p compared to downsampled 1800p?

Melchiah

Happy to see the feedback thread got ressurrected.

I guess it should be pretty obvious to do that as well if they do anything at all on this matter.

But, did you really see any difference on downsampled 2160p compared to downsampled 1800p?

I didn't have the time to test the 1800p mode, as it was patched out a couple of days after I bought the Pro. I'd prefer to have the option to choose between them, since image quality is far important to me than performance.

Jacob4815

The downside is...

...it doesn't mention anything about the supersampled 2160p/30fps mode, which I was playing the game on, and want back.

There was an other feedback thread about the 30 fps downsampling mode, with more than 500 votes, I remember it was removed the same day of this one.

We can hope it will be the next to be restored.

Top Bottom