• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU PRO Patch 1.08 - Supersampling removed from all modes [Up: New DF video]

I got the Pro last night, is there still no way to downsample this on a 1080p TV? It plays the same as the regular PS4 version in that case?

It performs at a locked 60fps with high quality shadows on a 1080p TV.
Naughty Dog has removed the options to downscale 1800p and 4K.

I'm sure I saw a thread on here somewhere where someone bought a device to trick the Pro into thinking it's connected to a 4K TV and therefore letting you select 4K in the PS4 display settings.

No idea how to find it though.

The device in question costs $200 afaik.

onQ123

I got the Pro last night, is there still no way to downsample this on a 1080p TV? It plays the same as the regular PS4 version in that case?

No it does not play the same as the regular PS4 version it play the mode that is 1080P 30fps on the regular PS4 at 1080P 60fps on the PS4 Pro.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Oh, that's cool.
Oh well, hope to get a 4K TV soon, I'll just save the playthrough for when I can downsample it.

thelastword

Banned
No.

Upscaling is free, and so is downscaling.

1800p can be outputted to 4K or 1080p with no performance difference.

See: every game you can output to 720p.
Upscaling may be free in the traditional sense, but if you approximate pixels like you do in checkerboarding, it's certainly not, well if you consider checkerboarding scaling anyway......

One thing I realize you are focused on is the scaling, but be aware I'm telling you that downsampling is not free, I'm speaking of the entire process, not just the scaling.

Obviously, downsampling in-engine on a game to game basis incurs a GPU pull that has to be catered for in advance, hence why you don't see the penalty in the faceoff. The penalty is already incurred prior to the scaling.

Consoles are still not directly PC's, console ram/cpu and gpu are all linked on one pipeline and share similar bandwidth, doing downsampling in-engine per game is not as free as you're thinking. I'm inclined to believe a better solution is imminent on an OS or firmware level, who knows, perhaps the checkerboard hardware in the pro will assist with the implementation of a universal downsampling feature on the console.

Having said that, I'm not denying or suggesting that ND will not bring back supersampling in-engine, they're may very well be working on that, but I imagine they would have to do further optimizations in order to prevent reversion to 1800p framerates prior to this patch.....Hey, a very valid reason why a supersampling patch is not out yet.

Please stop. Show me the receipts. So you saying that performance in 1800p mode for 4K display users was improved by removing an option from 1080p display users? LOL. They probably just tweaked resolution of alpha effects or something similar to that and performance came back to OG PS4 levels.
Are you serious? You ask for receipts, when it is a known fact that downsampling is not free. NOTE: I've been using the term downsampling in every post I've made.

Stranger still, you ask for receipts and yet you are the one suggesting that the resolution of alpha was tweaked to net us a 5-10fps increase in 1800p mode...So I'd love to see a video demonstration of those worsened alpha effects. You are actually suggesting that the game was downgraded in the latest patch. I wonder where these tales are coming from.

Also, performance at 1800p is not at OG PS4 levels, it's better than OG PS4 levels.....

Ricky_R

It's ridiculous that there has been no word from Sony or ND about this yet, if ever. I'm usually indifferent about stuff like this, but for some reason this has rubbed me the wrong way.

I mean, what harm can the option to downsample cause? Key word "OPTION".

Izuna

Banned
thelastword,

why do you have to try your best to speculate on BS. You do not have to defend every damn thing that happens to the PS4.

What you're saying doesn't make any sense.

etta

my hard graphic balls
It's ridiculous that there has been no word from Sony or ND about this yet, if ever. I'm usually indifferent about stuff like this, but for some reason this has rubbed me the wrong way.

I mean, what harm can the option to downsample cause? Key word "OPTION".
Yea, they could've even gone so far as to make the downsampling require extra steps and warnings to enable, leaving the non-downsampled mode as default. There's too many ways to handle this better than just removing the option.

thelastword,

why do you have to try your best to speculate on BS. You do not have to defend every damn thing that happens to the PS4.

What you're saying doesn't make any sense.

I still can't believe you compared him with you and I. That cut deep, friend-o.

Izuna

Banned
I still can't believe you compared him with you and I. That cut deep, friend-o.

:(

200.gif

Planet

e57.jpg

If you downsample from 1800p or 2160p it doesn't make a ton of difference, both eliminate the jaggies and shimmering quite well. But 60 FPS is always preferable. I don't need no stinking buggy "HQ" shadows.

So get rid of 30 fps mode altogether and give us a supersampling switch instead! See? I can word my preferences in a way that it squashes yours, too. ;)

Jacob4815

The Dishonored 2 scenario is now very similar.

- 1080p supersampling is missing for no reasons. 4k mode works fine. And downsampling works if you attach a 4k monitor and then switch to 1080p, but it's closed off to Full Hd users.
- Developers are aware of the issue but they're not answering and they skip every questions on the matter.
- A massive patch is out but it fixes nothing.

thatJohann

- 1080p supersampling is missing for no reasons. 4k mode works fine. And downsampling works if you attach a 4k monitor and then switch to 1080p, but it's closed off to Full Hd users.
- Developers are aware of the issue but they're not answering and they skip every questions on the matter.

Hopefully, this signals system-wide downsampling coming to Ps4 Pro in future FW update like the other guy said on the Dishonored 2 update thread.

Vashetti

Banned
Don't let this thread die.

Someone should create a succinct tweet that we can all copy and send to various Naughty Dog related Twitter accounts

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Wow... iterative consoles... I know how Sony can fix it, just wait for PS4 Pro S next year.

Sigh...

truth411

No it does not play the same as the regular PS4 version it play the mode that is 1080P 30fps on the regular PS4 at 1080P 60fps on the PS4 Pro.
It plays the same as a regular ps4 @ 30fps since there is no supersampling. Also @ 60fps I'd take supersampling over slight shadow improvement anyday. 1-3 framedrop every blue moon is blown out of proportion.

Jacob4815

Nada.
But we have more negative news on the general story.

- Dishonored 2 has a big update but without the supersampling fix. Bethesda and Arkane don't want to comment.

- The Ezio Collection runs at perfect 4k/ 30 fps locked but no downsampling for 1080p users. Supersampling works only for 4k tv if switching to 1080p

- To be verified: according to some users the Last Guardian 1.03 patch slightly improves the framerate for the 4k mode. So now the 1080p mode runs similar to 4k mode, but without supersampling.

Hazanko

Banned
Nada.
But we have more negative news on the general story.

- Dishonored 2 has a big update but without the supersampling fix. Bethesda and Arkane don't want to comment.

- The Ezio Collection runs at perfect 4k/ 30 fps locked but no downsampling for 1080p users. Supersampling works only for 4k tv if switching to 1080p

- To be verified: according to some users the Last Guardian 1.03 patch slightly improves the framerate for the 4k mode. So now the 1080p mode runs similar to 4k mode, but without supersampling.

Yeah, this is an issue for 1080p users like myself and is concerning.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
WTF Sony? This is started to itch me the wrong way. Especially because it doesn't seem that hard to fix.

This is NOT 4 the players....

Mabufu

Banned
There's clearly something happening here.

Either the future FW will bring it,
OR
There's another bandwitch issue like anisotropic filtering, like, maybe it's not that free when memory is shared.

Even if it seems highly unlikely, I'm gonna wonder about that possibility.

dmix90

The list of "upgrade to 4K tv even if you don't need it....peasant" releases is only growing....
This is infuriating. My blood is really boiling when i read about this. It's just hilarious especially coming from PC....... not only you need to basically beg for PRO patches you also need to beg for basic functionality for already patched games if you happen to have 1080p set.

Top Bottom