• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU PRO Patch 1.08 - Supersampling removed from all modes [Up: New DF video]

dmix90

They fucked 1080p TV users without a warning and no explanation after the fact..... that's what they did. Looks like they have time to make shitty pr videos for new sony headphones but are not able to tweet a single line about this downsampling fuckup.

I am pretty sure there is no or really small performance cost of downsampling.
IIRC in first DF video( 1.07 patch ) they made a comparison of the game running on 4K tv with 2160p setting enabled in system( no downsampling ) and on the same tv but with 1080p setting( downsampling even on 4K tv ) and there was no performance difference.

Planet

on 1080p TVs there's no longer SSAA but something else instead.
They don't need to implement anything special, they just need to use the existing 1800p render result and downsize it to 1080. That is SSAA. This has nothing to do with implementing any fancy post process antialiasing.

onQ123

Still no reply from ND?

Well then. That love has certainly dropped to a below freezing point.

I don't think this has anything to do with ND because if you notice the games that are coming out lately do not have super sampling & the newer patches don't have it either.

Most likely they are going to make VSR system level.

Arttemis

I don't think this has anything to do with ND because if you notice the games that are coming out lately do not have super sampling & the newer patches don't have it either.

That is an optimistic outlook! I'll hope for the same.

Jacob4815

This is not true.
All games have supersampling, even the most recent ones. PES 2017, Abzu or the last RE7 demo, for example. The new Hitman Patch implemented a new "supersampling improvement", according to patch notes.
Or Mount & Blade: Warband, new addition... and much more, you can find them in this guide, updated with all the new entries.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1324251

The big exceptions are Last of Us and Last Guardian (and Dishonored 2, but SS is present, only glitched).

Never considered that but i'd be okay with downsampling by default of course.
Why do you think this, by the way? Is that an easy feature to implement?

dmix90

They already have all foundation for it and if NVIDIA/AMD can do this on PC for dozens of various GPU's and display types etc then i am sure Sony can handle one hardware configuration.

Even if they do implement system wide downsampling it should be considered as a backup plan for situations with incompetent dev teams. There should be mandatory ingame options for this stuff.

They already have all foundation for it and if NVIDIA/AMD can do this on PC for dozens of various GPU's and display types etc then i am sure Sony can handle one hardware configuration.

Even if they do implement system wide downsampling it should be considered as a backup plan for situations with incompetent dev teams. There should be mandatory ingame options for this stuff.
Yeah it should not be half-assed

Ricky_R

Wait, which games? Aside from TLG?

Izuna

Banned

Of course it has something to do with ND...

N311V

Neo Member
This is all irrelevant. The performance of native 4K@30fps was identical when running on 4K displays AND when supersampled. The performance was identical at 1800p@60fps when upscaled to 4K or supersampled at 1080p.

I obviously disagree that this is all irrelevant but wouldn't deny these performance observations, they are facts and I wish update 1.08 never happened.

QUOTE=Arttemis;226701960]They addressed the performance for 1800p@60fps upscaled to 4K, which is an impressive feat, but they carelessly dropped supersampling, which as pointed out above, isn't performance affecting.[/QUOTE]

Ok. So if they "carelessly" dropped SSAA and it somehow doesn't cost anything, does not affect performance whatsoever, why would you say ND remove it? Why would they remove supersampling for no apparent reason? If it was an error, why would they be silent on the matter?

More likely, SSAA, even after rendering the high resolution frame, isn't free. True, SSAA requires rendering at a higher resolution, which is and was still occurring in TLoU:R on the Pro, but it then requires downsampling with some sort of filter to produce the anti-aliased 1080p image. For sure the final downsampling stage will not cost as much as the high resolution rendering stage, but it's impossible for it to be free.

Unfortunately, I argue that ND removed SSAA because it improved performance for 1800p@60fps but sadly had to remove SSAA altogether because they needed a quick fix. I hope they're working on returning SSAA to at least the 4K@30fps mode.

Schlomo

More likely, SSAA, even after rendering the high resolution frame, isn't free. True, SSAA requires rendering at a higher resolution, which is and was still occurring in TLoU:R on the Pro, but it then requires downsampling with some sort of filter to produce the anti-aliased 1080p image. For sure the final downsampling stage will not cost as much as the high resolution rendering stage, but it's impossible for it to be free.

Rise of the Tomb Raider has exactly the same performance in 4k mode on 4k and 1080p displays though. Same for any other game that allows downsampling on the Pro afaik.

N311V

Neo Member
Rise of the Tomb Raider has exactly the same performance in 4k mode on 4k and 1080p displays though. Same for any other game that allows downsampling on the Pro afaik.

Yeah. So did 4K@30fps for TLoU:R before patch 1.08. At a minimum, surely SSAA had a bug that was affecting performance regardless of TV type and removing SSAA from the game's code fixed the problem. In any case, there must be a logical reason why SSAA was removed. Hard to believe it was due to carelessness or malice. It's been a long time now though, I ND has a fix soon are at least addresses the problem with a tweet.

Kinyou

I don't know what's taking ND so long to patch in an option that already exists for 4K TV owners.

Maybe they're not bothered?
Patches can take time with certification and all that stuff. What bothers me is that they're not saying if they're even working on it.

Arttemis

I obviously disagree that this is all irrelevant but wouldn't deny these performance observations, they are facts and I wish update 1.08 never happened.

QUOTE=Arttemis;226701960]They addressed the performance for 1800p@60fps upscaled to 4K, which is an impressive feat, but they carelessly dropped supersampling, which as pointed out above, isn't performance affecting.

Ok. So if they "carelessly" dropped SSAA and it somehow doesn't cost anything, does not affect performance whatsoever, why would you say ND remove it? Why would they remove supersampling for no apparent reason? If it was an error, why would they be silent on the matter?

Unfortunately, I argue that ND removed SSAA because it improved performance for 1800p@60fps but sadly had to remove SSAA altogether because they needed a quick fix. I hope they're working on returning SSAA to at least the 4K@30fps mode.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. So did 4K@30fps for TLoU:R before patch 1.08. At a minimum, surely SSAA had a bug that was affecting performance regardless of TV type and removing SSAA from the game's code fixed the problem. In any case, there must be a logical reason why SSAA was removed. Hard to believe it was due to carelessness or malice. It's been a long time now though, I ND has a fix soon are at least addresses the problem with a tweet.

Considering 4K@30fps ran perfectly and identically at 4K and supersampled, and RotTR runs identically at 4K and supersampled, I stand by my assessment that there is no tangible deficit when supersampling.

Why did they removed it? That's the big question. The idea that virtual resolutions will be a system level choice is a very optimistic possibility. They might have removed it until a superior implementation is created. They could be dropping support for supersampling to push 4K screens.

Regardless of the reason, removing supersampling did players no favors.

Everyone here is assuming that all 1080p users just want the old 1800p mode back. Where did this impression come from? There are many people who also want 1080p at smooth locked 60fps. Did people forget that 1800p mode had FPS drops to 40s?

Assuming another patch happens, I would be very pissed if they got rid of now perfectly smooth 1080p mode. If they implement an option between downsampling and native 1080p, then all is good, but please people, don't assume that everyone wants patch 1.07 downsampling with frame drops back, that's why complaints started in the first place, people were unhappy with rather big FPS drops.

Everyone here is assuming that all 1080p users just want the old 1800p mode back. Where did this impression come from? There are many people who also want 1080p at smooth locked 60fps. Did people forget that 1800p mode had FPS drops to 40s?

Assuming another patch happens, I would be very pissed if they got rid of now perfectly smooth 1080p mode. If they implement an option between downsampling and native 1080p, then all is good, but please people, don't assume that everyone wants patch 1.07 downsampling with frame drops back, that's why complaints started in the first place, people were unhappy with rather big FPS drops.

People want the option, it makes zero sense for them to remove the supersampled option at all. They already have 2 modes, why not 3 for the people that want to use it?

They fixed the frame drops in 1800p mode. That's why people are confused.

Vaga

For Pro owners the 1080p@30 mode is redundant. Downsampled 4K@30 is as stable but not available on HD tv. And 1800p mode is much more improved now.

People should stop defending this shit.

onQ123

That is an optimistic outlook! I'll hope for the same.

From the leaked documents it said that devs wouldn't have to scale the resolutions in engine in the future SDK

This is not true.
All games have supersampling, even the most recent ones. PES 2017, Abzu or the last RE7 demo, for example. The new Hitman Patch implemented a new "supersampling improvement", according to patch notes.
Or Mount & Blade: Warband, new addition... and much more, you can find them in this guide, updated with all the new entries.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1324251

The big exceptions are Last of Us and Last Guardian (and Dishonored 2, but SS is present, only glitched).

Farm simulator 2017 , The Witness , Black Ops 3 & some other recently patched games I seen didn't have super sampling

I think like this because it make more sense to do this than to have devs having to add the feature on a game by game bases when this should be system level,

Wait, which games? Aside from TLG?

See above

Of course it has something to do with ND...

If ND is looking at the documents that say they don't have to scale down in-engine in the future SDK why would they be fighting with it trying to do it in-engine when they was having problems when they had it in-engine?

Let Sony do it on the microcode level if it's something that's going to be used a lot.

thelastword

Banned

Unfortunately, I argue that ND removed SSAA because it improved performance for 1800p@60fps but sadly had to remove SSAA altogether because they needed a quick fix. I hope they're working on returning SSAA to at least the 4K@30fps mode.

They addressed the performance for 1800p@60fps upscaled to 4K, which is an impressive feat, but they carelessly dropped supersampling, which as pointed out above, isn't performance affecting.

Downsampling is never free, we're talking of downsampling from 4k and 1800p in this instance. It is very likely that every game which have been downsampled on the Pro had to leave some performance on the table to cater for it and also maintain solid or locked framerates whilst playing. All the downsampling that has happened so far had to be done in-engine. There may be a less resource intensive way to handle this in the SDK or through the OS, but for now it will cost.

Another thing people fail to realize is that downsampling from 1440p or checkerboard 1800p or 2160p, will cost less than a straight 1800p or 4k native render downsampled.

Maybe Naughty saw some dips at 4k to 1080p downsampled that DF did not....In fairness, I believe they were able to gain back some performance by removing it for the 1800p mode, so it just remained off for 4k native alltogether. I think it will be further work to check downsampling just for 4k native mode in the code.

Perhaps Bethesda can opt to remove downsampling from 4k native mode in Skyrim remaster if people are so annoyed by the 1 frame dips, that would probably give them some good perf back in that mode. Whilst they're at it, they should also offer a 1080p/1440p 60fps mode for Skyrim or a 1800p checkerboarded 60fps mode, whichever is more feasible.

Because people were adamant about ND fixing drops from 60fps, so they did that. People mentioned that performance was a priority for them and they were loud about it.

It's not free....

Considering 4K@30fps ran perfectly and identically at 4K and supersampled, and RotTR runs identically at 4K and supersampled, I stand by my assessment that there is no tangible deficit when supersampling.

Why did they removed it? That's the big question. The idea that virtual resolutions will be a system level choice is a very optimistic possibility. They might have removed it until a superior implementation is created. They could be dropping support for supersampling to push 4K screens.

Regardless of the reason, removing supersampling did players no favors.
It gave players what they asked for, that is 60fps undisturbed. Sony promised that no game should be below 1080p and that no game should have lower performance, The people asked that ND abide by such mandates and ND ensured they did. 1080p at 60fps (flatline, no judder 60fps), 1800p at better framerates than OG at 60fps and 4k at 30fps locked.

Izuna

Banned
It gave players what they asked for, that is 60fps undisturbed. Sony promised that no game should be below 1080p and that no game should have lower performance, The people asked that ND abide by such mandates and ND ensured they did. 1080p at 60fps (flatline, no judder 60fps), 1800p at better framerates than OG at 60fps and 4k at 30fps locked.

No one asked for a 1080 mode with 60fps.

I don't know if you're deliberately missing the point, but I hope you understand the "outrage" and stop trying your best to be ND's advocates.

1800p mode was slower than OG
Now, 1800p mode is faster... but you need a 4KTV

That's it. That's all that needs to be said.

Downscaling IS, fwiw, free.

Upscaling and downscaling have very marginal differences in performance. It's not even worth caring about.

Also, in case you try to refute this... prior to this patch, the 1800p60 mode ran the same when outputting to 1080p or 4K.

If ND is looking at the documents that say they don't have to scale down in-engine in the future SDK why would they be fighting with it trying to do it in-engine when they was having problems when they had it in-engine?

Let Sony do it on the microcode level if it's something that's going to be used a lot.

So ND removed the functionality they already had in... functionality that UBISOFT is capable of mind you... because they want to wait for a future "sdk" update?

This "sdk" update being part of the OS doing the downscaling whenever necessary automatically (thus removing their 1080p60 option) or to actually help ND do something that other games have no problem doing?

Something which... they did back in 1.07?

thelastword

Banned
No one asked for a 1080 mode with 60fps.
Perhaps you should go read that thread again. Look, you still have people complaining about drops to 57fps in farming simulator and saying it's not perfect, but that's nothing, just go to the original thread/story from DF and you will see people even asking for the ability to play at OG's resolution and it's 60fps performance.

Downscaling IS, fwiw, free.

Upscaling and downscaling have very marginal differences in performance. It's not even worth caring about.
Downsampling is exceedingly more expensive than upscaling. As I said, performance had to be left on the table on PRO to ensure that the downsampled image did not affect the solid framerate they wanted to provide.

Also, in case you try to refute this... prior to this patch, the 1800p60 mode ran the same when outputting to 1080p or 4K.
Yes, I never disputed that, yet, removing downsampling nets them a better framerate at 1800p. As I said, some performance has to be left over to cater for it in-engine..

Melchiah

Because people were adamant about ND fixing drops from 60fps, so they did that. People mentioned that performance was a priority for them and they were loud about it.

And the whiners ruined it for those of us, who care more about image quality. I much rather play the game supersampled at 30fps, than with minor framerate and shadow improvements.

There's a somewhat similar issue with Tomb Raider. Nixxes just fixed framepacing, that people had been complaining about, but apparently brought the input lag back by doing so. The framepacing wasn't an issue to me, and I much rather play the game without input lag.

N311V

Neo Member
And the whiners ruined it for those of us, who care more about image quality. I much rather play the game supersampled at 30fps, than with minor framerate and shadow improvements.

There's a somewhat similar issue with Tomb Raider. Nixxes just fixed framepacing, that people had been complaining about, but apparently brought the input lag back by doing so. The framepacing wasn't an issue to me, and I much rather play the game without input lag.

Seriously?! When did that happen?

Izuna

Banned
.Downsampling is exceedingly more expensive than upscaling. As I said, performance had to be left on the table on PRO to ensure that the downsampled image did not affect the solid framerate they wanted to provide.

No.

Upscaling is free, and so is downscaling.

1800p can be outputted to 4K or 1080p with no performance difference.

See: every game you can output to 720p.

dmix90

Perhaps you should go read that thread again. Look, you still have people complaining about drops to 57fps in farming simulator and saying it's not perfect, but that's nothing, just go to the original thread/story from DF and you will see people even asking for the ability to play at OG's resolution and it's 60fps performance.
I am sure people were asking for an additional option to be able to play the game in it's original state and not about removing all options from certain group of users altogether.
Downsampling is exceedingly more expensive than upscaling. As I said, performance had to be left on the table on PRO to ensure that the downsampled image did not affect the solid framerate they wanted to provide.
Yes, I never disputed that, yet, removing downsampling nets them a better framerate at 1800p. As I said, some performance has to be left over to cater for it in-engine..
Please stop. Show me the receipts. So you saying that performance in 1800p mode for 4K display users was improved by removing an option from 1080p display users? LOL. They probably just tweaked resolution of alpha effects or something similar to that and performance came back to OG PS4 levels.
Looks like you found one piece of speculation in this thread and hold on to it with all your strength for some reason.

No.

Basically.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
No.

It depends... if you want to do something more than simple bilinear filtering in the scaler chip, then reading back the samples and merging/resolving them before outputting the final display buffer has a cost, a small one, but it has one.

Izuna

Banned
It depends... if you want to do something more than simple bilinear filtering in the scaler chip, then reading back the samples and merging/resolving them before outputting the final display buffer has a cost, a small one, but it has one.

This isn't relevant to the context, though. With regard to the PS4, it's not like they're going to be using catmull rom downsampling.

dmix90

In case of TLOU we have performance comparison. And there is no performance cost to downsampling. When framerate drops it drops to ~same amount in both cases.

23KknSL.png

Jacob4815

Farm simulator 2017 , The Witness , Black Ops 3 & some other recently patched games I seen didn't have super sampling

A minority, and these few games like the Witness have a full enhanced 1080p mode with amazing AA, no one regrets about them. Farming Simulator, I don't know, I think there are multiple choices.
There's no a confirmed trend about removing supersampling. There are plenty of recent and new games with a supersampling mode. RE7 is one of them and it's a big one. But there are more of them, this can not be denied, there's a list.
Sucker Punch have patched Infamous two days ago with a HDR fix. Why didn't they remove SS? Uncharted and TR the same.
Hitman released a patch with "improved supersampling" (a lot of people don't like this change, but that is the patch note).
And the future? Horizon should have a SS mode, the developers said in an interview. We'll see if they'll change their plan.

So there's no a real proof about an upcoming Sony firmware. It's a possibility, of course. We have only a leaked document, and even with a OS change a developer could choose to force a mode.

But at least, we can confirm a thing, and this is objective: SS is not a mandatory and automatic process how all of us thought before the PRO launch.

Melchiah

How did you come to that conclusion?

the game would have to have a rendering resolution above the 1080p output unless you're talking about using it on a 720P TV.

Ah, true. But it would be an additional option for, say The Witness, Bound and TLG, which don't have it now. If it happens on a system level, and we only get it for selected games, it's pretty pointless.

It doesn't make sense because you're mistaken about thinking TLoU:R on the PS4 Pro didn't have supersampling in version 1.07 that was removed by update 1.08. You do realise that's what this whole thread is about? Check out these videos.

This one contains Digital Foundry's finding that supersampling was removed by update 1.08.
https://gaming.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn8H0vOfIL0

This one explains what supersampling is.
https://gaming.youtube.com/watch?v=906EEPlB3Ao

No. You are mistaken. TLoU:R on the PS4 never had supersampling at 4k or 1800p, so the performance issues were not related to something that was never present. Accordingly, considering that supersampling at 1080p@30fps/60fps is just downscaling from either 4k@30fps or 1800p@60fps, IT DOES NOT MAKE ANY SENSE to not have it now that they fixed the performance issues.

Kinyou

Ability, meaning an option. Also back then the framedrops at the higher resolution were much worse than they are now, so you'd probably have less people asking for it

It's hard not to feel like you're just trying to find excuses for ND.

Also this is the first time I heard that down sampling would cost performance

onQ123

Ah, true. But it would be an additional option for, say The Witness, Bound and TLG, which don't have it now. If it happens on a system level, and we only get it for selected games, it's pretty pointless.

No the games will not have to have an additional option for it.

what this will do is let the game use the 2560 X 1440 / 3200 X 1800 / 3840 X 2160 rendering settings even when you are using a 1080P display,

etta

my hard graphic balls
I got the Pro last night, is there still no way to downsample this on a 1080p TV? It plays the same as the regular PS4 version in that case?

Vashetti

Banned
I got the Pro last night, is there still no way to downsample this on a 1080p TV? It plays the same as the regular PS4 version in that case?

I'm sure I saw a thread on here somewhere where someone bought a device to trick the Pro into thinking it's connected to a 4K TV and therefore letting you select 4K in the PS4 display settings.

No idea how to find it though.

Top Bottom