• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLoU:R Photomode Thread:I struggled a long time with compression [READ OP] [SPOILERS]

cngai

Last of us: Romantic monent
w16697The%20Last5122u86.jpg

u50302The%20Last2602s86.jpg

i-Lo

Tried highlighting the environment art. Which one should I enter into the screenshot contest?

thelastofusremastered2cjzg.jpg

The Last Order?

Going by my eyes, it looks like the poly count for main characters (as sufficiently good as they were on PS3) have been bumped up (judging by their ears).

Aside from the current generation's capability of physically based rendering, these character models would not look out of place in any current gen game. To that end, I'd say we would be lucky if we see character models as realistic as these in the next Fallout or ES game.

zomaha

The pics look amazing, I was going to wait until Friday to get the game so I could play all weekend, but now I gotta get it after work today

Awesome, didn't realise there was a dedicated photo thread - lots of great wallpaper material already, the game looks stunning. This is my first time playing it, but I can't stop admiring the scenery and character models;

The%20Last%20of%20Us%C3%A2%C2%84%C2%A2%20Remastered_20140729144214.jpg

The%20Last%20of%20Us%C3%A2%C2%84%C2%A2%20Remastered_20140729163328.jpg

The%20Last%20of%20Us%C3%A2%C2%84%C2%A2%20Remastered_20140729154118.jpg

i-Lo

They're the pre-rendered cutscene models now.

I thought the pre-rendered characters only had better texture resolution and lighting. Would you or anyone happen to know what kind of poly count it was for PS3 gameplay and now on the remaster?

IIRC, in UC series, they Drake was around 40K.

I hope you mean this in a good way because they can't control their facial expressions anymore.

I know, I know. Just the way all their faces look is weird. Hard to shot them when I don't think they look good enough.
I thought the pre-rendered characters only had better texture resolution and lighting. Would you or anyone happen to know what kind of poly count it was for PS3 gameplay and now on the remaster?

These are higher poly I believe. No clue on the count. The old ones were probably in the area of 30-40k.

Nah, they definitely had a higher poly count also.

Just wanted to point out that if you upload PNGs to Imgur, they're not compressed so long as they are under 5MB. Useful for only those who are too stubborn to use anything else.

Here's an example (borrowed a shot from HolyFridge)

Flickr PNG - 2,886.87 KB

Imgur PNG - 2,886.87 KB

As far as I know those are always compressed, even slightly. The PNG exception is known, and I have added it as something you can use, but most people are using Jpg anyways.

You're right, I just uploaded a JPEG to Imgur and it went from 403KB to 391KB. Is that slight enough to allow Imgur JEPG's?

Stike

You're right, I just uploaded a JPEG to Imgur and it went from 403KB to 391KB. Is that slight enough to allow Imgur JEPG's?

The problem: JPEG is *always* a compressed format.

That means, the originating file that you uploaded to imgur is already compressed and is recompressed after the upload, increasing the compression on a second level.

If your repeat this often enough, pics end up looking like crap, and since we are all pixel-counters here, uploading uncompressed pictures is the way to go ;)

This is the best comparison i can come up with. Left is a press released bullshot (Realtime ps3 model supersampled with other effects) and the right is realtime on ps4. I know Joel is using the cutscene model, but i am having a hard time noticing any differences with Ellie. Hopefully i can do a comparison later today when the game arrives.

ifJFYCayToREz.png

Crossposting this here:
The PlayStation 4 share button, which a majority of people use, does not output uncompressed PNG shots, as much as I would love it to. It outputs pretty heavily compressed JPG files. I have done tests that show imgur does in fact recompress these small JPG files from the PS4. Quality is lost in this process. I am aware of the Imgur PNG workaround and that works just fine.

You can use uncompressed PNG if you know what you are doing and you're under the limit. If you aren't going to convert your shot because that is too much work, you can use one other hosts. If you don't want to use one of those hosts either, then post in the Console Screenshot thread.

PS: All those hosts, except for Photobucket, accept uncompressed PNG on free accounts (or no account). They are free and simple to use as well. I wouldn't have chosen them if they were difficult or stubborn hosts.

i-Lo

This is the best comparison i can come up with. Left is a press released bullshot (Realtime ps3 model supersampled with other effects) and the right is realtime on ps4. I know Joel is using the cutscene model, but i am having a hard time noticing any differences with Ellie. Hopefully i can do a comparison later today when the game arrives.

ifJFYCayToREz.png

Wow, the model on PS4 has higher texture resolution.

As for differences, hair and ear area have been indicators that I noticed prior to making my assertion.

givin´ the whole NeoGAF community and all the folks at NG a big, warm hug!

The%20Last%20of%20Us%C3%A2%C2%84%C2%A2%20Remastered_20140729174357.jpg

Bishop's on the wrong team.

That means, the originating file that you uploaded to imgur is already compressed and is recompressed after the upload, increasing the compression on a second level.

If your repeat this often enough, pics end up looking like crap, and since we are all pixel-counters here, uploading uncompressed pictures is the way to go ;)

I know this, but JPEG's are allowed in this thread. Shots shared via the 'export to USB option' on PS4 are JPEG's. I'm fine using CubeUpload, it doesn't add any further compression to the already compressed JPEG's, but I was just wondering if JPEG Imgur shots were allowed seeing as the compression is very minimal (403KB > 391KB). It's cool if they're not, as I said, I'll just carry on using CubeUpload.

Do any of the 'allowed' sites have a folder feature that I can name individually to help me keep track of my shots?

Edit: I just noticed Visceral's post. Thanks.

I know this, but JPEG's are allowed in this thread. Shots shared via the 'export to USB option' on PS4 are JPEG's. I'm fine using CubeUpload, it doesn't add any further compression to the already compressed JPEG's, but I was just wondering if JPEG Imgur shots were allowed seeing as the compression is very minimal (403KB > 391KB). It's cool if they're not, as I said, I'll just carry on using CubeUpload.

Do any of the 'allowed' sites have a folder feature that I can name individually to help me keep track of my shots?

Edit: I just noticed Visceral's post. Thanks.

Flickr. Flickr is by far the best for management IMO. Batch editing is amazing.

A 100% quality JPG will look indistinguishable from a PNG. So long as they're hosted on a site that doesn't compress, I would always recommend JPGs just for the sake of loading times.

JPEG's and why you should use them (Only if you know how!)

Flickr. Flickr is by far the best for management IMO. Batch editing is amazing.

Agreed. That and there's a nice little community of screenshotters that communicate, create groups, etc etc. I love Flickr.

Top Bottom