• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TMZ: Carrie Fisher suffers cardiac arrest on plane (Up: in ICU, condition unknown)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFuzz

e4vGni6.gif

It's December 23rd.

I nominate this for the post of the year. Utterly fantastic.

m0dus

Banned
15 mins without oxygen to the brain can't be good.

I'm guessing she's on a vent.

Let's just take a step back here.

Speaking as someone who deals with this every goddamn day, and mirroring the opinion of other actual physicians in this thread - it's too soon to assume anything. So wish her well, hope for the best, and wait for details.

Being realistic doesn't mean assuming the worst. It isn't engaging in false hope either.

It's waiting and seeing.

nachum00

Also, while I sincerely hope shes ok.

Lay off Max Landis. A close personal friend told me she was dead. And I'm not about to call him names or anything. He was just misinformed, and so was Max.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Let's just take a step back here.

Speaking as someone who deals with this every goddamn day, and mirroring the opinion of other actual physicians in this thread - it's too soon to assume anything. So wish her well, hope for the best, and wait for details.
Indeed.

Also can you fix the typo in the thread title please xD

Ah ok that last part is what I was confused about. I didn't think you could be considered stable while also on s ventilator. Thanks!

i was in the ICU on a ventilator for 11 days or so with sepsis (had heart issues as well), and i was stable most of the time afaik. after i was taken off the ventilator i was walking around the hospital on my own within 2-3 days. i was 32 and in fairly good physical condition though so that probably helped.. but still, people are taken off ventilators and they can recover, i'm living proof =) i was basically back to my former self in just a few months, after eating my mom's cookings and resting a lot.

it felt.. pretty fucking amazing to walk and function again. i really hope Carrie gets to experience that incredible relief.. her case is of course totally different, my heart never stopped so.. i dunno. i have to think she can recover, the human brain is an amazing organ, just maybe she didn't suffer too much damage in the most important areas.. maybe enough oxygen somehow got through.

Solo

Lay off Max Landis. A close personal friend told me she was dead. And I'm not about to call him names or anything. He was just misinformed, and so was Max.

He was in such a rush to scoop the death of a human being for Internet glory that he didn't bother to check his facts. That's disgusting on multiple levels and any way you slice it.

legacyzero

Banned

Cool, so lets just spread that misinformation to 85k followers on Twitter. That's totally ok.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I know people think they're just being realistic. But to me and other people its just a bunch of negative pessimism.

Man, you really wanna make this thread about how much better you are than everyone else.

nachum00

He was in such a rush to scoop the death of a human being for Internet glory that he didn't bother to check his facts. That's disgusting on multiple levels and any way you slice it.
Yeah I can see it that way. Posting about it on social media isn't something my friend did, thats for sure.

Or he could've been in shock and responded without thinking. Something very common when someone is in shock.

And whats reality? You have no idea of her actual situation. Or maybe you're a doctor at the hospital she's in?

Nobody is saying that. Discussing medical realities though seems fine to me, there's not much else for us to do here. If that's too "pessimistic" for you I don't know what to tell you.

Solo

Or he could've been in shock and responded without thinking. Something very common when someone is in shock.

I mean, I can't speak for others, but my first inkling of thought when I hear a celebrity has passed isn't to jump on social media and deliver a RIP to all my followers. But people are weird creatures.

Koomaster

Just checked back with this thread. Glad to see she's out of emergency care. Hoping the doctors and nurses continue to take good care of her and she has a smooth recovery from this scary situation.

Just woke up from a nap. Expected to wake up to the update that she passed on. Instead the update is she is in stable condition. What a fighter. What a miracle

Yeah as others have pointed out, "stable" in an of itself isn't good or bad, necessarily. In this case: supposedly she wasn't breathing on her own for a while. She could be stable and still have brain damage.

I'm really hoping she's okay.

HardRojo

Having a nice dinner with the friends right now, been following this news every half and hour or so, I hope her stability means she'll recover from this with the least damage possible. I've never been a Star Wars fan, in fact I watched all the movies prior to TFA premiering, but I can see why she's such a big figure for people who grew up with this franchise. Here's to a speedy recovery Carrie Fisher, may the force be with you.

...for the new page.

Yeah, as long as this battle is being fought (like the professionals in this thread have explained, stable doesn't mean she's in the clear), we need this for every page.

Rogue One Spoilers
I saw Rogue One on Monday,
I totally teared up at the end when we see Fisher's ANH-era Leia cameo. It really hit me at that scene who Princess Leia is and the vital role Fisher has played bringing that character to life

Ambient80

But like... if she's gonna end up okay, this is what we'd be seeing too.

Myself and other physicians (and others, too) in the thread are just urging people to wait before getting either too excited or depressed. There is a very large amount of information that is not currently, and likely never will be, available. Folks asked what "stable" meant and we told them. Without more information, "stable" just means "not currently dying."

I'd recommend we just try to stay relaxed, hope for the best, and we'll see how it plays out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom