• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TMZ: Carrie Fisher suffers cardiac arrest on plane (Up: in ICU, condition unknown)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nydius

I went through this with my mother back in 2007; massive heart attack that landed her in ICU. Even though she was on a ventilator and the two cardiologists had informed me that I should prepare myself for every eventuality, she was still listed as stable.

I write this examples because I want people to understand that a patient CAN be classified as stable while within ICU - but stable in ICU has a radically different meaning than stable in an ER trauma bed or in other parts of the hospital. Don't worry about classification too much, instead pay attention to where she is. So long as she remains in ICU, I will remain concerned.

Edit: Beaten by Netherscourge!

Just an FYI - You can be stable in the ICU.

Both my parents were in ICUs after minor surgeries.

Hopefully she has been upgraded to serious condition, if not stable. Still hoping for the best.
I wouldn't be surprised if they kept a high profile celebrity in the ICU for as long as they could either.

nahlakhai

(Take this with a grain of salt)If things go well we will probably not hear anything new for the next three days from what I gather.

We need a doctor to explain the difference between cardiac arrest and heart attack because most people don't make that distinction.

Cardiac arrest means the heart literally stopped beating. A heart attack is damage to the heart causing certain enzymes to leak in to the blood stream, usually when the arteries that supply the heart are blocked. A severe enough heart attack can obviously lead to cardiac arrest.

Moment I saw the news I literally just refused to read anything or follow up in anyway until there was some kind of update. Glad to hear she's stabilized. Would have really sucked for her to go with Episode VIII on the way next year. That might sound terrible, to be thinking about the movie at a time like this, but it's a major part of what she does and how she's managed to have such a huge impact on people the world over. Her being the original princess leia matters. She needs to be around to continue seeing where Star Wars goes.

edit: There's now doubt as to her current condition? Fuck.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Cardiac arrest means the heart literally stopped beating. A heart attack is damage to the heart causing certain enzymes to leak in to the blood stream, usually when the arteries that supply the heart are blocked. A severe enough heart attack can obviously lead to cardiac arrest.

Not exactly. Cardiac arrest is any state in which the heart is not pumping properly to provide sufficient cardiac output to support the body's oxygen needs. This can be complete lack of cardiac activity (asystole), but also other conditions such as vtach, vfib, and PEA in which there is some cardiac activity but the cardiac output is minimal to none.

2016 has fucking sucked. Just end already.

I think well-known people dying is just something we have to get used to. Many people who started their careers in the 50s/60s/70s, or at least got big then, are very old now, whether it's movies, TV, music, whatever. Think about it this way: think of all the shows you watched in the 80s or 90s. All those people were like at least 10 - 20 years older than you. Take all of them, wait until you get to be in your 60s, and a lot of them are going to go, and more frequently than you may like.

Not trying to be a downer about the whole thing, but I've just come to the conclusion that well-known people dying is simply something that's going to happen more frequently due to how many well-known people exist.

I think well-known people dying is just something we have to get used to. Many people who started their careers in the 50s/60s/70s, or at least got big then, are very old now, whether it's movies, TV, music, whatever. Think about it this way: think of all the shows you watched in the 80s or 90s. All those people were like at least 10 - 20 years older than you. Take all of them, wait until you get to be in your 60s, and a lot of them are going to go, and more frequently than you may like.

Not trying to be a downer about the whole thing, but I've just come to the conclusion that well-known people dying is simply something that's going to happen more frequently due to how many well-known people exist.

To be fair, people like Fisher and Prince were huge shocks since they weren't related to age.

Durden77

latest

Comon Carrie. You have every fan of everything on your side.

RinsFury

Praying for Carrie. Please please please get better. I've been crying off and on since I heard the news, but need to keep that hope alive.

To be fair, people like Fisher and Prince were huge shocks since they weren't related to age.

Yeah, but you have to think about the amount of older celebrities there are, plus the possibilities for early deaths in the mix (Heath Ledger and Robin Williams, for example), and you're just going to get lots of deaths compared to how many notable old people there were 20 years ago or 30 years ago. I just tell people not to go, "Man, 2016 needs to end," because 2017 will bring plenty of deaths that'll bum us out.

I mean, Anthony Hopkins, Sean Connery, Bob Barker, John Williams, Patrick Stewart, and James Earl Jones, six people I just thought of 3 seconds ago, are all old as hell. Look at how many musicians from the classic rock era who are now in their 70s. We have two former presidents in their 90s. You may have some tragic deaths of younger folk in the mix, and either we get used to it, or people will be cursing every year.

Lothar

Banned
At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if an extinction level asteroid was scheduled to hit earth on 12/31. :|

It's not the year. People will still die and have bad things happen to them in 2017 unfortunately.

Wait what happened, last time I checked she was in stable condition???

There was an update from her brother at the top of this page. He said he never got word that she was stable.

sirap

Praying she pulls through with minimal damage. 15 minutes is a long time...

It's not the year. People will still die and have bad things happen to them in 2017 unfortunately.

Yeah, but you have to think about the amount of older celebrities there are, plus the possibilities for early deaths in the mix (Heath Ledger and Robin Williams, for example), and you're just going to get lots of deaths compared to how many notable old people there were 20 years ago or 30 years ago. I just tell people not to go, "Man, 2016 needs to end," because 2017 will bring plenty of deaths that'll bum us out.

Thanks guys for pointing this out. And here I thought 2016 was cursed or something. Who knew?

RoKKeR

Have been watching the OT this week with my family after seeing Rogue One, on ROTJ today. Hate to have this news hanging over... Hoping for the best.

RowdyReverb

(Take this with a grain of salt)If things go well we will probably not hear anything new for the next three days from what I gather.

We need a doctor to explain the difference between cardiac arrest and heart attack because most people don't make that distinction.
Cardiac Arrest = heart stopped pumping blood
Heart Attack = acute coronary syndrome, which means part of the heart received little to no oxygen due to a blocked artery. If there is damage to the heart as a result, it is a myocardial infarction
So, a heart attack could very easily lead to cardiac arrest, basically. If she required CPR, she must have had an arrest

Thanks guys for pointing this out. And here I thought 2016 was cursed or something. Who knew?

I guess anyone posting a "2016 sucks" meme. If it helps, I used to respond to "A lot of people died this year!" comments with, "It seems that every year, people die. When will it end?"

My main point isn't that people die, though, but moreso that the amount of notable people who die will likely become more frequent because over the past half century, there have been far more opportunities to make a name for yourself, imo, especially with internet making it easier to gain recognition or establish a fanbase.

thefro

Just an FYI - You can be stable in the ICU.

Both my parents were in ICUs after minor surgeries.

Hopefully she has been upgraded to serious condition, if not stable. Still hoping for the best.

Some hospitals also have policies where you have to be in the ICU for a set period of time (12-24 hrs) after you get admitted to the ICU.

15 minutes seems like a long time to not be breathing... My dad had a cardiac arrest while in the hospital. He survived, thankfully the doctor was right there and he acted quick. But he's not the same as he was. Like 70% of the way, but not all the way. And that was only a couple minutes max.

The Lamp

And then there was The Voice singer Christina Grimmie who was murdered at her concert in Orlando literally the night before the Pulse Orlando shooting. Fucking 2016 sucked :(

I hope Carrie gets better!!

Heading to see Rogue One for the second time in about an hour. Never thought I might well up at the sight of a CGI character, but I can already feel it coming on . . .

RowdyReverb

15 minutes seems like a long time to not be breathing... My dad had a cardiac arrest while in the hospital. He survived, thankfully the doctor was right there and he acted quick. But he's not the same as he was. Like 70% of the way, but not all the way. And that was only a couple minutes max.
After 15 minutes of CPR, the rate of survival with good neurological outcome is just under 5%

New page.
Sorry

Flo_Evans

60 is NOT old. That's nonsense. Drug use or not.

It's getting up there if you have poor genetics and don't take care of yourself.

I had a heart attack at 37. My dad had several in his life ending with a massive stroke at 60 he still hasn't recovered from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom